Optoma HD66 - First 3D home theatre/gaming projector - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1341 Old 02-03-2010, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to buy HD66, but I'm still wondering what type of screen should I purchase 16:9 or 16:10?
What I have found that its extrimely difficult to find a normal 16:10 in Europe, so it a question for me if 16:10 worth to be shipped from US or its enough to have 16:9

Thanks for your advices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1341 Old 02-03-2010, 06:04 PM

Note that Projector Central posted their review of the HD66 today.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/opto...tor_review.htm
post #183 of 1341 Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 PM
jay

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post

Note that Projector Central posted their review of the HD66 today.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/opto...tor_review.htm

Man looks like this thing is very bright.. If anybody can post pics with some ambient light that would be greatly appreciated.. Also has anybody gone to this projector from a mitsubishi hc1500/1600?? If so how is the brightness compared to the two and the picture quality... thanks
post #184 of 1341 Old 02-04-2010, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You may not have considered this.. but you can put a 16:10 image in a 16:9 screen just fine. At 100 inches you are only going to be like 2-3 inches difference height from 16:10 to 16:9. The difference is minor at best. You could always zoom the picture in a few inches and lose an inch or two on either side. If you put a 16:10 image on a 16:9 screen you might lose a couple inches left to right. If you are going to mount the screen and put a border around it, you can make the 16:9 screen a 16:10 with a border.

Quote:

I'm going to buy HD66, but I'm still wondering what type of screen should I purchase 16:9 or 16:10?
What I have found that its extrimely difficult to find a normal 16:10 in Europe, so it a question for me if 16:10 worth to be shipped from US or its enough to have 16:9

Thanks for your advices.

post #185 of 1341 Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Guys,

So, I just finished our basement, and the theater room is primed and waiting for a projector solution...
I was looking at the Epson 8100, and pairing it with a 92" screen. Then I saw the HD66...

I figured it's only 720P, but, if it allows me to watch Avatar in 3D at home, I think I can sacrifice the reduction in resolution (if it's even really that noticeable on a 92" screen from 12' away).

I suppose my questions are these:
  • Is this currently the only projector in this price range (sub $2,000) that is capable of 3D? I'll be looking to purchase in the next month or so, and was thinking I might wait to see if any 1080P 3D option becomes available.
  • Is the only currently available 3D blu-ray source the PS3?
  • Do you think it's possible that current blu-ray players can be firmware updated to output 120Hz (I have a cheapie Sony HS360).
  • How many pairs of glasses can you connect (and how do they connect BTW?)
  • And finally, will I have to run a HDMI 1.4 cable, or can I use a good quality 1.3b?

Thanks everyone!
post #186 of 1341 Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 AM

One comment regarding that review and brightness.
I spent around an hour or so playing with degamma settings ant totally agree that, as it was said earlier, best setting is PC. At least for PS3 and notebook.
This setting gives the darkest black background without affecting colors and contrast - almost the same as "dead" areas of image which are result of 16:9 or 4:3 image, or result of image geometry/size ajustments (noticeable even around blue screen when there is no any input).
Video setting is basically the same, but with boosted brightness, which makes black 10% brighter. Movie - the same with brightness plus it adds contrast by lowering shadows and rising highlights (as applying S-curve in Photoshop). As a result slightly better contrast but faces sometimes may look "burned". Presentation - boost of contrast and saturation with inaccurate colors.
So when I swithced to PC degamma I did not need to lower brightness setting to reach black blacks. For contrast, saturation and Brilliant color - agree with review and previous installers. My settings are pretty close.

16:10 vs 16:9 screen. If you watch HDTV 16:9 contents you obviously do not need these extra black bars on top or bottom anyway. If you are using PC input with 16:10 content you can always zoom-out PJ output either by rotating zoom wheel or by using ZOOM feature on the remote to fit into your screen.
Brightness. I can easily play Vancouver 2010 olympic games demo on PS3 (which has a white backgroung and maaany whites) in absolute darkness without any problems. Maybe because I currently do not use any special screen.
At the same time my son played RockBand in the afternoon in a not light controlled room without any problems. I make some pictures, but haven't copied them from my camera.

1.3 - 1.4 HDMI. There is no any mention of it in manual or on PJ itself. I guess it is question to Optoma. But here is a cite from hometheater.about.com article:
"HDMI 1.3 - This version includes improvements in both audio and video capability. With the advent of Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD, version 1.3 adds the ability to transfer the digital bitstreams for the new high resolution audio formats: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD.

HDMI 1.3a - In addition to the above audio improvements, HDMI 1.3 and 1.3a increase the amount of video bandwidth that can be transferred from a source to a display. This means, that in addition to the standard 24-bit color depth we are used to, HDMI 1.3 and 1.3a have the ability to transfer color depths up to 48-bits, and can accommodate resolutions much higher than the 1080p resolution standard that is in use today.

HDMI 1.4 - HDMI version 1.4 adds practical enhancements for HDMI connectivity. If home theater components, such as HDTVs, Blu-ray Disc players, and Home Theater Receivers, are HDMI 1.4 enabled, one or more of the following features can be implemented:

1. HDMI Ethernet Channel: This adds internet and home network connectivity to HDMI. In other words, both Ethernet and HDMI functions are available within a single cable connection.

2. Audio Return Channel: This may be the most practical application of HDMI 1.4. What this feature provides is a single HDMI connection between a TV and a home theater receiver that can not only pass audio/video signals from the receiver to the TV, but also pass audio originating from the TV's tuner to the receiver. In other words, when listening to audio accessed by the TV's tuner, you don't need a separate audio connection going from the TV to the home theater receiver.

3. 3D Over HDMI: Although standardized specifications for 3D are not finalized, HDMI 1.4 is designed to accommodate whatever standard is finalized, with the capacity of passing two simultaneous 1080p signals using one connection.

4. 4Kx2K Resolution Support: Although the current high definition standard for consumer equipment tops out at 1920x1080 (1080p), HDMI 1.4 can accommodate future 3840x2160 and 4096x2160 high definition pixel resolutions now in the planning stages.

5. Expanded Support For Color Spaces: This allows better color reproduction when displaying digital still photos from HDMI-connected Digital Still Cameras.

6. Micro HDMI Connector: Just as mini-USB is employed with portable digital devices, a new "Micro HDMI" Connector is much smaller connector that can still supports up to 1080p resolutions for portable devices. This is very practical for video camcorders, digital still cameras, and portable digital video playback devices.

7. Automotive Connection System: With the increase of in-car digital audio/video devices, HDMI 1.4 can handle the more demanding vibration, heat, and noise that may affect the quality of audio and video reproduction.

For consumers that have components that only feature HDMI versions 1.0 through 1.3, you won't be able to access these added version 1.4 features, but as reassurance, you will still be able to use future 1.4 enabled components with your current HDMI 1.0 to 1.3 components, you just wont have access to the newly added features. In other words, don't raise your arms in the air in frustration, fall into the depths of despair, or start planning a garage sale in order to get rid of your old HDMI equipment. "

As far as I see 1.4 for 3D is all about sufficient bandwidth for 2x 1080p content. This projector is 720p, so it does not need 2x 1080p input capabilities. My guess is that 1.3(a) compatible cable should be able to pass 2x720p traffic. Besides most current PS3 games have resolution either 480 or 720, so I would not expect 1080p 3D games anytime soon either.
Besides it was confirmed that PJ works with NVIDIA 3D gear. There were some issues with upside down glasses, although I did not quite understand why it could not be cured by flipping 3D sync setting in PJ menu.
post #187 of 1341 Old 02-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegMZ View Post

As far as I see 1.4 for 3D is all about sufficient bandwidth for 2x 1080p content. This projector is 720p, so it does not need 2x 1080p input capabilities.

Blu-ray players have to have the ability to output 1080P. The HD66 may indeed only be a 720P projector, but it has to be able to receive 1080P - and for 3D, 1080P at 120Hz. The image gets scaled down to 720P inside the projector.
Besides, HDMI 1.3b has sufficient bandwidth for 1080P at 120Hz. I think it's really a matter of having hardware/firmware support for the new 1.4 content. This is supposedly how the PS3 is getting 'upgraded' - via firmware. It won't be a true 1.4 compliant device, but it will allow 1080P at 120Hz, and all the necessary software flags associated with it.

Quote:

My guess is that 1.3(a) compatible cable should be able to pass 2x720p traffic. Besides most current PS3 games have resolution either 480 or 720, so I would not expect 1080p 3D games anytime soon either.

There are plenty of 1080P PS3 games out right now...

Quote:

Besides it was confirmed that PJ works with NVIDIA 3D gear. There were some issues with upside down glasses, although I did not quite understand why it could not be cured by flipping 3D sync setting in PJ menu.

Ok, this is the part that confuses me... The Nvidia 3D active eyewear uses a separate transmitter... Does that transmitter connect to the projector somehow?
RealD has some pretty cool transmitter-less active eyewear that looks awfully similar to the polarized glasses you get in the theaters - but they were in the $800 range - for one pair!

Does anyone else know a good (cheaper) option for active eyewear that will work with this projector? I can find no good sources of info about this very important bit to actually make use of the 3D feature!

Thanks!
post #188 of 1341 Old 02-04-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDinan View Post

Does anyone else know a good (cheaper) option for active eyewear that will work with this projector? I can find no good sources of info about this very important bit to actually make use of the 3D feature!

Thanks!

Here:

http://www.xpand3dtv.com/xpand-x102-...d-gla1023.html

But these cost $150/ pair. They do not need a connector and you can use as many as you need in your audience. The DLP Link method used by the Optpma HD66 projector sends a sync signal between frames of the picture, & the glasses pick it up whenever you face the screen. No wires.

Before too long, cheaper DLP Link glasses will become available, for sure.
post #189 of 1341 Old 02-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Those have been continuously out of stock, and seem to be still. Last I spoke to xpand, they claimed that they'd have new stock mid-february. Still, $150/pr is still quite expensive. TI (who manufactures the dlp chips and controls the dlp-link standard) stated that several more manufacturers were planning to release compatible glasses in 1st half of 2010, and some might hit the $50-60 range. I approached them requesting datasheets on the standard with the intent to make a device to read the pulses and emit a standard 3d signal (so you could buy many other glasses, for as low as $30), but they rejected me. Oh well, hopefully we'll see some glasses for relatively inexpensive soon.
post #190 of 1341 Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 PM

I was seriously considering the HD66 just for the Avatar angle, but then I saw this:

"Pushed further on details about the DVD plans for "Avatar," Murdoch said it will be released [before] June 30. But he also highlighted that it won't be a 3D DVD release as that technology isn't developed enough yet. But Carey added there could be a 3D "Avatar" DVD release further "down the road" when the technology is ready."

...so it looks like they haven't really decided on a 3D standard yet. I'm looking more closely at the HD20 now I think.
post #191 of 1341 Old 02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Cameron not realizing there's a functioning standard is very different from there not being a standard. There are quite a number of movie studios releasing bluray 3d movies this year. Sony's releases are slated to start in summer, disney's joining in in 4q starting with Christmas Carol, and several others have indicated they'll be releasing movies but haven't specified when or which.

Having said that, I saw that same report earlier and couldn't help thinking it's pretty stupid of him not to be all over this, and disappointing from a consumer standpoint.
post #192 of 1341 Old 02-04-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacicot View Post

I was seriously considering the HD66 just for the Avatar angle, but then I saw this:

"Pushed further on details about the DVD plans for "Avatar," Murdoch said it will be released [before] June 30. But he also highlighted that it won't be a 3D DVD release as that technology isn't developed enough yet. But Carey added there could be a 3D "Avatar" DVD release further "down the road" when the technology is ready."

...so it looks like they haven't really decided on a 3D standard yet. I'm looking more closely at the HD20 now I think.

As for Avatar (and other previous and current 3D features) and Blu-ray 3D (TM), the disc authoring standard has already been approved using Panasonic's MPEG-4 3D compression codec (2D plus HD video metadata) and Panasonic Labs at Universal City is ready to launch Blu-ray 3D authoring.

It'll be up to the TV display manufacturers to choose how they process and implement the dual video streams: passive circular polarized or active, synched shutter glasses.

However, it remains to be seen if disc replication plants will be day-one ready for Sony and Panasonic's 33 GB (single layer) and 66.8 GB (dual layer) Blu-ray discs with acceptable yield ratios (the tolerances are much greater than before... less room for error), and whether the studios will wait until that storage update is viable before rolling out the official 3D titles.

Since Blu-ray 3D encoding requires at least 50% more bitrate headroom than 2D encodes this space increase may be needed for some titles.

Sony and Panasonic are assuring the A/V community that all Blu-ray players will be able to properly read these expanded storage discs with upcoming firmware updates as the discs themselves are practically the same using the exact same laser wavelength and pickup mechanism. The data spiral is packed tighter than standard 25 and 50 GB discs (the reason for the discs' current storage space was to allow for slightly lesser tolerances and more manufacturing errors to increase the yield) and read with different formatting software.

If things go according to plans on all fronts then expect 3D players (and the PS3's new 3D firmware and expanded storage disc compatibility firmware for all players) to get released towards late summer or early fall.

That would mean Avatar might be released in Blu-ray 3D for the Holiday season (or the CEA's and manufacturer's grand predictions at CES for 3D in the home would be a gigantic bust even with ESPN and Fox Sports in 3D via DirecTV).

If so, I would also expect special 3D releases of Toy Story 1-3, Monsters Vs. Aliens, Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Piranha 3D, Ice Age 3, A Christmas Carol, and other 3D photographed or rendered titles to be released at around the same time.

Without Avatar as the keystone release (due to its mega-blockbuster standing), I would think the studios would be hesitant to release the floodgates.

You would need HDMI 1.4a compatibility for anything equal or greater than dual 1080p/60 streams (for upconverted 1080i content, or pre-applied 2:3 pulldown frame conversion to 1080p/24 encoded content) I would expect. I think dual 1080p/24 streams are about all HDMI 1.3 could handle.

Phew!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #193 of 1341 Old 02-05-2010, 01:42 AM

Very interesting to read, I must say I'm very interested in switching my current Optoma HD70 for this one. One question though - how is the noise level? That is probably the one thing that annoys me the most about the HD70 right now...

/Victor
post #194 of 1341 Old 02-05-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweVictor View Post

Very interesting to read, I must say I'm very interested in switching my current Optoma HD70 for this one. One question though - how is the noise level? That is probably the one thing that annoys me the most about the HD70 right now...

I had NEC LT170 (business compact) for some time and although I cannot say its noise distracted anyone while watching movies, it was quite noticeable (no surprise for compact models).
When I got HD66 and started watching it, it was only the 2nd day, when I remembered about PJ noise concerns and started deliberately listen to it. For me its noise in regular mode is approximately the same as that of regular PC - soft whispering. When PJ kicks in 2nd speed on shutdown it is much more noticeable, but it is just for 10 seconds.
I often watch movies with my head 3 feet away from the PJ and its noise never bothered me.
post #195 of 1341 Old 02-05-2010, 06:35 AM

Please upload photos to compare your setup with others. Thanks
post #196 of 1341 Old 02-07-2010, 09:29 AM

Question for all you HD66 owners out there. Is there a 120Hz mode or is that just for 3D? The problems I see is in action images smear or don't look good while moving and refocus when stationary. I am assuming the 120hz would be a frame doubler which is fine because if you can see faster than 60Hz it creates issues. From computer games I stop having this affect around 85Hz so that is what I am looking to achieve. Any advice would be apprciated.
post #197 of 1341 Old 02-07-2010, 05:05 PM

Hmm, the projectorcentral calculator shows this HD66 with a longer "short throw" than the HD20. I will not be able to get 78" from 10.5' with this one, so I guess I'll have to get the HD20...which I was leaning towards anyway.
post #198 of 1341 Old 02-07-2010, 05:18 PM

Check the calculator on the Optoma website...it is different between them and PP's and PC's
post #199 of 1341 Old 02-07-2010, 05:23 PM

So which one is right? This is potentially a dealbreaker for me. I need to get a 100" image for 11' 6". The optoma website says I can but PC says I need 13'?
post #200 of 1341 Old 02-07-2010, 06:47 PM

Here are my measurements from the blue screen (no input):
Distance: 130"
Diagonal: 98" (84 x 52 ")

Hope I did not make any mistakes, but no guarantee :-)
post #201 of 1341 Old 02-08-2010, 04:33 AM

Since the 10.5' throw @87+ inches is critical to me, this unknown difference is a dealbreaker for me...for now. Hopefully we will get clarification before I have to buy.
post #202 of 1341 Old 02-08-2010, 01:15 PM

OlegMZ,

Are those measurements based from the HD66?
If so, you are saying that placing the HD66 at a distance of 130" from the wall/screen, you get
a 98" diagonal screen size without an input connected(blue screen)?
I just used the calculator on projetorcentral and at that distance based on the throw ration of 1.79-1.97, the max
diagonal size in inches is 82" using the "diagonal range" zoom setting.
Based on the HD66 manual, it is 99.9% accurate with the calculator.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

It is possible that the final release of the HD66 has different throw ratios than what is reflected on the manual and the projectorcentral calculator.

Quote:

Here are my measurements from the blue screen (no input):
Distance: 130"
Diagonal: 98" (84 x 52 ")

Hope I did not make any mistakes, but no guarantee :-)

post #203 of 1341 Old 02-08-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxlad View Post

OlegMZ,

Are those measurements based from the HD66?
It is possible that the final release of the HD66 has different throw ratios than what is reflected on the manual and the projectorcentral calculator.

Yes, I have HD66. It was measured in optical ZOOM set to MAX, digital to default zero.

As to manual I would not trust it 100% just because it proved to be inaccurate in details. For example it does not mention screen aspect ratio menu where you can choose between 16:9 and 16:10 while it does exist in a real device.
Besides it looks like throw/diagonal ratio used in Manual is different than that of at least my device. But I do not think I got some "special edition" stuff :-).

QUICK UPDATE.
I just went to official Optoma website to compare my measurements to HD65 using online calculator... and found HD66 in its menu!
When I entered my throw of 10.8 feet I got 83.6" width (mine was 84") and screen diagonal 87.5 - 95.9" for 16:9 screen. They have no 16:10 setting in calculator, but my 98" for 16:10 looks to be correct.
post #204 of 1341 Old 02-08-2010, 03:43 PM

Can we get one other HD66 owner to confirm this? If the HD66 is accurate according to the settings give on the optoma website then it means I can get a 100" image anywhere from 11' 4" back to 12' 4". Does this sound right to other owners using it right now?
post #205 of 1341 Old 02-08-2010, 04:28 PM

I too would like this confirmed and if anyone could tell me if the projector will do 120Hz on a regular feed. This would be great.

Thanks
post #206 of 1341 Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a different concern for this projector. I have a 16:9 fixed screen. Will it stretch whatever I output to 16:10, or is there an option to lock it at 16:9 and basically leave two 40px bars on the top and bottom (which would be on my black velvet frame)

If not, I may just go with the HD65 even though I like the brightness of this projector. Both seem like great buys though.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #207 of 1341 Old 02-09-2010, 08:34 AM

Thanks,
I had also used the Optoma website calculator and they were they same as the
HD65 which I have been using for almost a year. I was going to buy another one to setup in an 2nd-room where there is too much ambient lighting to replace the Acer-PH530 which is good for night-time viewing only.
The reason I asked is because there is a user review/opinion on projector central that was commenting about the long throw ratio and the aspect ratio(16:10 vs 16:9) which neither are accurate or mentioned on Optoma's "datasheet" or "manual":
I prefer to purchase the HD66 due to the lumen output but not at the cost of
a much longer-throw than the HD65.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/part...inion_id=12518

Quote:

Yes, I have HD66. It was measured in optical ZOOM set to MAX, digital to default zero.

QUICK UPDATE.
I just went to official Optoma website to compare my measurements to HD65 using online calculator... and found HD66 in its menu!
When I entered my throw of 10.8 feet I got 83.6" width (mine was 84") and screen diagonal 87.5 - 95.9" for 16:9 screen. They have no 16:10 setting in calculator, but my 98" for 16:10 looks to be correct.

post #208 of 1341 Old 02-09-2010, 10:43 AM

ANALYSIS ABOUT 3D CAPABILITIES - BEWARE OF ALL INFO

I'm waiting for someone to hook up 3D. All this talk but no one really seems to have the answers most of us want. My honest guess is that this projector is so cheap that it will not support anything but a computer 3D system. I doubt it will be able to read Comcast or PS3 blu ray source.

Think about it, if you were a company, why wouldn't you gloat the fact that your projector can play all 3D sources if it could. It's cause it can't. They came out with this projector and Tagged it 3D so people could go out and buy it. They're trying to make a few extra bucks by saying that there projector has a feature that others don't even if it is not fully versatile in the feature.

Reading in projector central's review you can easily tell that they state

Projector Central

"You will need a 3D signal source, such as a computer with a powerful graphics card, and one pair of active shutter glasses compatible with DLP Link for each viewer. Keep in mind that the fact that a projector is capable of showing 3D does not mean that it will be compatible with all 3D signal sources in the future. But if you are in the market for an inexpensive home theater projector and want to have the 3D experience, the HD66 will give you just that "

You can clearly see that projector central believe it only works with computers. All you people buying this projector because of 3D are crazy, unless it's to use with a computer.

Why not just wait. Optoma is obviously not providing the information which they should, so why would you give them the benifit of the doubt. Users have said that techs don't know the answers nor do managers and ultamately they can only confirm computer source.

Save your money. I've read the whole thread and would really love to sell my HC720 and buy one for the 3D, but if a company is purposely not providing info and misleading info then they don't deserve your purchase. By misleading I mean, look at all the differences in specs that each website has. BB is saying 2000-3000 Bulb life, but others saying 3000-4000. They are not even posting the price of this bulb yet. I call them and they told me $185, but it's on back order. Guarantee thats what they tell you know, so everyone buys it, thinking cheap bulbs will come, but once we all buy they will raise the price to something outrageous. Why would bulbs not be available right now, simply because they don't want to have to list the real price of them, while everyone buys up the projector, only to find out they are more expensive. I'm not saying I woun't buy this projector, but it wouldn't be for cheap bulb, bulb life, or 3D, it should only be because you like the quality of the image displayed in 2D.

AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED UNTIL SOMEONE POST 3D SOURCE FROM SOMETHING OTHER THAN COMPUTER I'M DEFINATELY SKEPTICAL OF ANY OTHER SOURCE UNTIL I SEE IT SETUP. DON'T GIVE OPTOMA THE BENIFIT OF THE DOUBT. DONT' BUY THIS AND WAIT AROUND FOR $50 GLASSES. I'M SURE EPSON HAS SOMETHING UP THEIR SLEEVE. AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS BETTER.
post #209 of 1341 Old 02-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Thats nice, but as you should be fully aware, other 3d sources do not exist. Having said that, the projector central review seemed to be focused on nvidia glasses, which would require a PC because of the nature of the *glasses*, not the projector. That limitation goes away when you use DLP Link glasses. As for compatibility with bluray and/or ps3, there is no display in existence which could possibly be confirmed to work with them by your definition, since the sources themselves don't exist yet.

As for bulbs, not being immediately available at the release of a budget projector does not seem at all out of the ordinary to me. Your whole "Guarantee thats what they tell you know, so everyone buys it, thinking cheap bulbs will come, but once we all buy they will raise the price to something outrageous..." is a bit silly. If they quoted you $185, the price probably won't be much different when its available... But regardless, you use that to justify them releasing "misleading information", which is only misleading if your conspiracy theory is correct. Logical fallacy much?

So what source has epson confirmed their theoretically magical not-yet-announced projector been confirmed with 3d on? Nonexistent 3d PS3 content, or nonexistant 3d bluray players? And, since dlp link is a universal standard that all 3d dlp projector manufacturers are using, are glasses manufacturers going to refuse to sell to non-epson consumers or something?

Don't be a fanboy. When epson produces something with better specs, that's a great thing - but shooting down this projector for issues that would apply equally to the brand you support (which doesn't even have a competitive product yet) is not logically supportable.

Having said all that, I've not dealt with Epson support, but I was disappointed with Optoma's. So that's a valid point.
post #210 of 1341 Old 02-09-2010, 01:46 PM

i Just got my first projector the HD66 and was wondering if anyone had some calibration settings they could share.

thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page