*Official* Epson Home Cinema 8100 owners thread! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1937 Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After experiencing the 8100 for a couple weeks and now switching to the 8500UB it's a night and day. The depth of color and depth of blacks is very evident. Even my wife could tell a difference in the picture. For the extra $500, it's worth it to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1937 Old 03-26-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsengineer View Post

After experiencing the 8100 for a couple weeks and now switching to the 8500UB it's a night and day. The depth of color and depth of blacks is very evident. Even my wife could tell a difference in the picture. For the extra $500, it's worth it to me.

more like $1000-1200 more... which is nearly twice the price..
post #633 of 1937 Old 03-26-2010, 10:57 AM

Just got the 8100....wow. Such and improvement over my 4805. Not a bad deal for the sale price either, the only one BB had in my area. I really lucked out and they had no problem coming down on the price
post #634 of 1937 Old 03-26-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vric View Post

more like $1000-1200 more... which is nearly twice the price..

8100 = $1499 at Epson.com
8500UB = $2199 at Tigerdirect.com with $220 cashback from Bing

Unfortunately, TD has sold out of them a day after I found the combo deal. Luckily I got one for $1979.
post #635 of 1937 Old 03-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsengineer View Post

8100 = $1499 at Epson.com
8500UB = $2199 at Tigerdirect.com with $220 cashback from Bing

Unfortunately, TD has sold out of them a day after I found the combo deal. Luckily I got one for $1979.

Nice deal...now take it over to the 8500 thread and leave us poe foke alone
post #636 of 1937 Old 03-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman126 View Post

Just got the 8100....wow. Such and improvement over my 4805. Not a bad deal for the sale price either, the only one BB had in my area. I really lucked out and they had no problem coming down on the price

You folks in other parts of the country must either be intimidating or just lucky. The BB's in Carolina would laugh in your face before haggling. My concern is policy...where is the cooperate consistency? Not very professional from a business point though great for the lucky consumer that is able to talk down the price but what about other consumers in a different part of the country dealing with same company...? Seems a bit unfair for a consumer to pay more or less for same product. I happened upon the infamous November deal myself which was not consistent nationwide either...unbeknownst to me until after the fact.
post #637 of 1937 Old 03-26-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Get some emotive mono blocks, we did Speaker are a little big and could probably use a Krell or Pass Labs, but they are just to expensive. <<< Click Here >>>

Those are the Mini versions, do they come in bigger sizes? :-)
post #638 of 1937 Old 03-26-2010, 07:55 PM

Liked: 11
Looking to have my epson 8100 ISF calibrated.. what happens if i have it calibrated and the unit has a problem and needs to be repaired or I have a new one shipped to me? epson going to cover the 500.00 to have it recalibrated?

Thanks
post #639 of 1937 Old 03-26-2010, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingpoor View Post

Looking to have my epson 8100 ISF calibrated.. what happens if i have it calibrated and the unit has a problem and needs to be repaired or I have a new one shipped to me? epson going to cover the 500.00 to have it recalibrated?

Thanks

Nope.
post #640 of 1937 Old 03-26-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Nope.

or should i take the 500.00 send this projector back and use the difference to get something better then having it calibrated?

Thanks
post #641 of 1937 Old 03-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

How much better do you desire? The difference in price between the 8100 and what you would add to it would afford you an ae4000...which is probably the best 2k pj right now. Question is...would you be happy with it? nobody but you knows/or would know that until you have it and use it. A worthy/significant difference out of the box is going to cost you more than the difference you are considering period...more like double the 8100 price or consider the 8500/9500 series which again is more than you are considering price wise. Another thing to consider is resale if that is in future plans...by the time you do so a new pj will be good as or better than your calibrated 8100 due to increase/advance in technology. Speaking for myself...I would not invest more in my 8100...it's very good for the money. A few yrs up the road and I 'll upgrade to a better machine for about the same cost...or less. Why are you not happy with it?
post #642 of 1937 Old 03-27-2010, 09:06 AM

I got my refurbished unit back and I ran through some of the tests on the Spears & Munsil blue-ray and two things showed up.

(1) When I tested with the color bars there were random darker speckles in the purple and red bars that would disappear and reappear randomly. Does anyone else notice this? Marked one in the picture.

(2) When testing the deinterlacing performance using the wedge pattern the wedge does not stay overall steady white but I could see gray
bars transverse through the wedge as it moves around the screen, this happens for all the cadences. Has anyone else run this test and what
did yours look like.

To me it seems that the motion of this replacement projector is a little bit blurrier then the one I had, but maybe I'm being overly sensitive.
LL
LL
post #643 of 1937 Old 03-27-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnc View Post

How much better do you desire? The difference in price between the 8100 and what you would add to it would afford you an ae4000...which is probably the best 2k pj right now. Question is...would you be happy with it? nobody but you knows/or would know that until you have it and use it. A worthy/significant difference out of the box is going to cost you more than the difference you are considering period...more like double the 8100 price or consider the 8500/9500 series which again is more than you are considering price wise. Another thing to consider is resale if that is in future plans...by the time you do so a new pj will be good as or better than your calibrated 8100 due to increase/advance in technology. Speaking for myself...I would not invest more in my 8100...it's very good for the money. A few yrs up the road and I 'll upgrade to a better machine for about the same cost...or less. Why are you not happy with it?

I Had a Optoma HD20 and love the color , sharpness , and contrast. After I put about 55 hours On it the rainbow effect started bothering me... strange cause I didn't see it up until then.. so I returned it and purchased the Epson 8100.. the picture is ok ... it has a pink hue to all the pictures and the skintone is off... no matter how much adjusting I do, I cant get it right. I'm looking into getting it calibrated. But if the money is better spent getting a better projector like the Epson 8500 or panny 4000, Then I'll add the money for a better setup...More so the Epson 8500. I just got into the whole projector scene and there is no place around me to demo any FP...
post #644 of 1937 Old 03-27-2010, 09:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingpoor View Post

Thanks

No, but a good calibrator will basically come and redo it for just about free. I know Chad B cuts big discounts if this happens.

Chad is calibrating a unit and testing it as we speak, when he is done we will have a calibrated unit for sale. (basically free calibration)
post #645 of 1937 Old 04-02-2010, 05:13 PM

I have an Epson 8100 connected to the Onkyo HT-S7200 home theater in a box system. My cable box and my ps3 were set up on it the first time I used it and both looked fantastic. Recently I bought a HDMI coupler to extend the HDMI cable from the projector to the receiver (so I could put everything on my audio Pier). Ever since then I can watch my cable box fine but when I switch to the ps3 the screen will blind and show random colors. Sometimes it will hold the perfect image then it goes away and keeps going through this cycle of colors and scrambled images. I would blame the coupler but it the cable box works fine through it. I even bypassed the receiver thinking that could be the problem but it still does it. Any suggestions? The system worked fine on original setup, this is so frustrating.

Thanks in advance.
post #646 of 1937 Old 04-02-2010, 06:53 PM

your cable box send 720p or 1080i signal while your PS3 probably send 1080p.

More bandwidth required on bad connexion = handshake problem (what you are experiencing) Coupler or cables are the problem.
post #647 of 1937 Old 04-03-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Hi
I was wondering if there is a way to turn off the iris.
I looked at the manual but it does not say if the iris can be
turned off. Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks
post #648 of 1937 Old 04-03-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

Hi
I was wondering if there is a way to turn off the iris.
I looked at the manual but it does not say if the iris can be
turned off. Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks

Its in the menu under Auto Iris.. select Off, Normal, or High Speed

My earlier issue with the signal loss was caused by a bad component video cable for the ps3.
post #649 of 1937 Old 04-04-2010, 11:17 AM

210 hours to date. Maybe I'm just lucky, but mine looks great. Right out of the box. I bought the Calibration disk and the more I messed with it, the worse it looked to me. So, I watch the factory presets. It's awesome.

I now just watch movies and invite people over. Everyone thinks it's great. Pistachio nuts and chocolate kisses are universally liked too. I go to parties now and people ask me when he next movie night is and want my recommendations for movies to watch. I've had people call me and ask how big that screen is, to confirm to friends of theirs that it's really that big. And it's only 100". I'm about to set up a 120", in the garage, so I can invite more people over at the same time. I would also like to be able to show movies at my next pool party. So I may put a screen on the outside of my garage, but I have to cut down a palm tree, so I haven't messed with that yet. Maybe I'll go for a gemmy. I think Halloween, I'm going to show Young Frankenstein in the front yard and invite the whole neighborhood over.

I hope the best for everyone else too, on whatever projector you have.
post #650 of 1937 Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkinPaul View Post

210 hours to date. Maybe I'm just lucky, but mine looks great. Right out of the box. I bought the Calibration disk and the more I messed with it, the worse it looked to me. So, I watch the factory presets. It's awesome.

I now just watch movies and invite people over. Everyone thinks it's great. Pistachio nuts and chocolate kisses are universally liked too. I go to parties now and people ask me when he next movie night is and want my recommendations for movies to watch. I've had people call me and ask how big that screen is, to confirm to friends of theirs that it's really that big. And it's only 100". I'm about to set up a 120", in the garage, so I can invite more people over at the same time. I would also like to be able to show movies at my next pool party. So I may put a screen on the outside of my garage, but I have to cut down a palm tree, so I haven't messed with that yet. Maybe I'll go for a gemmy. I think Halloween, I'm going to show Young Frankenstein in the front yard and invite the whole neighborhood over.

I hope the best for everyone else too, on whatever projector you have.

Thats really a great place to be in. I too am in a similar situation with the 8100 and i went with a 150" screen. It really is like being at the theater at home at this point. Everyone really loves it, my family, the kids.. people are always wanting to come over and see it and experience it. Its just wonderful.

I think that is the real take-away. With a Blu-ray movie, the resolution is now high enough to really re-create the cinema feel at home without taking a penalty for quality that even up-converted DVD had on 120"+ Screens.

There is something to be said about having people over and the comforts of home, versus the public venue of dealing with a cinema. You can really be relaxed, comfortable and enjoy your company more.. And the experience. .. Some people might complain about the $25+ cost of BDs, but with a setup like the 8100 and the large format screen and the right audio, you are basically getting the whole cinema experience and then some for the price of 2 tickets. Its hard to beat.

Cant wait for April 22nd for Avatar to hit BD.. Going to have a Party.
post #651 of 1937 Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 AM

I bought the 8100 from TD with BCB for about $1250

I opened the box and nearly fainted at the size of this 8100

No way, i could sneak it into the house, swap the older (much smaller) projector for this and act as if nothing has changed with my better half.. so now I have some convincing to do which could be a problem..

I will not get permission (from wife) to mount this on the roof of either my living room or bedroom.. no way..

I am left with placing this on the dresser (if watching in the bedroom) or the kitchen island (if watching in the living room).. If I place the unit on the kitchen island the distance to the wall above the fireplace where i plan to mount the screen, is a bit far.. causing the screen to be about 88 inches in length.. diag distance would be a lot more..

couple of questions/concerns:

if the image is stretched to that extent.. 135inches in diag.. will the image still be acceptable to view?

Is there any way I could keep the image within 100 inches in diag.. i am not able to change the distance from projector to the screen because that distance is fixed.. island to fireplace

How do these images appear in day light with the blinds turned down? I know in darkness these would look good but I am unsure about the quality of the image in ambient transluscent daylight

I bought a da-lite screen on ebay for about $120.. it is about 134inches in diag.. 96" in length.. plan to mount this over fireplace and remove it when not in use.. (wife will never allow this to be a permanent fixture).. I hope this works.
post #652 of 1937 Old 04-05-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman66 View Post

No way, i could sneak it into the house, swap the older (much smaller) projector for this and act as if nothing has changed with my better half.. so now I have some convincing to do which could be a problem..

I will not get permission (from wife) to mount this on the roof of either my living room or bedroom.. no way..

I am left with placing this on the dresser (if watching in the bedroom) or the kitchen island (if watching in the living room).. If I place the unit on the kitchen island the distance to the wall above the fireplace where i plan to mount the screen, is a bit far.. causing the screen to be about 88 inches in length.. diag distance would be a lot more..

if the image is stretched to that extent.. 135inches in diag.. will the image still be acceptable to view?

Is there any way I could keep the image within 100 inches in diag.. i am not able to change the distance from projector to the screen because that distance is fixed.. island to fireplace

How do these images appear in day light with the blinds turned down? I know in darkness these would look good but I am unsure about the quality of the image in ambient transluscent daylight

I bought a da-lite screen on ebay for about $120.. it is about 134inches in diag.. 96" in length.. plan to mount this over fireplace and remove it when not in use.. (wife will never allow this to be a permanent fixture).. I hope this works.

Instead of the fixed distance, how about a portable stand to put the projector on? That's what I did. I built one but they can be found at Office Depot etc. Day light viewing will depend on your screen as well. I have the Dalite High Power and viewing is very good during the day for football, etc. I don't have blind though so with blinds it should be even better. Pick a good movie that your wife likes and put that on first at night to show her how awesome it looks, she'll compromise after that. Good Luck!
post #653 of 1937 Old 04-05-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Are you talking about your wife ... or your mother?

Time to remind her who the King is!!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #654 of 1937 Old 04-05-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Wow.. Most folks try to plan a little bit before dropping that kind of coin on something.. but.. this is probably the most flexible projector for placement out right now.

Im running mine on a 150" diag screen and it is beautiful.. No worried there.

As for placement, you can sit the thing darn near anywhere.. the lense shift is really amazing on this PJ. You shouldn't have issues.

Its a bright Projector on Living-room mode.. It combats ambient light fairly well in that mode.. Just experiment with it.

Really.. just take it in the house and plug it in and go with it.
post #655 of 1937 Old 04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You didnt see the 8100 at Bestbuy? LCD PJ are usually larger than a DLP.
post #656 of 1937 Old 04-05-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePill View Post

Wow.. Most folks try to plan a little bit before dropping that kind of coin on something.. but.. this is probably the most flexible projector for placement out right now.

Im running mine on a 150" diag screen and it is beautiful.. No worried there.

As for placement, you can sit the thing darn near anywhere.. the lense shift is really amazing on this PJ. You shouldn't have issues.

Its a bright Projector on Living-room mode.. It combats ambient light fairly well in that mode.. Just experiment with it.

Really.. just take it in the house and plug it in and go with it.

thanks, I understand your comment about planning.. I seldom plan, go with instinct.. my instinct was that the lens shift on this is vital to me.. because I was going to possibly move the projector from bedroom to living room and so on to watch maybe 2 or 3 movies a month.. I bought a Yamaha YSP-4000 for my bedroom.. and I have a Denon 4806CI for the living room.. thanks for your comments on lens shift.. I am now convinced this is the projector for me.
post #657 of 1937 Old 04-06-2010, 08:54 AM

The Epson 8100 is my first projector, and I must say that I was blown away projecting just a 65" image on a pink wall in the spare bedroom (the basement theater is still 3-4 weeks from completion).

It was just an HD broadcast of Flash Forward on ABC (bypassing the need to rent a cable box by using a centronics tuner), and it was freakin' sweet.

I will be projecting a 92" image onto a white screen, sitting 9' away....I can't wait until I'm able to hook this baby up for real.

xbox: McFly1955
post #658 of 1937 Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthershutch15 View Post

The Epson 8100 is my first projector, and I must say that I was blown away projecting just a 65" image on a pink wall in the spare bedroom (the basement theater is still 3-4 weeks from completion).

It was just an HD broadcast of Flash Forward on ABC (bypassing the need to rent a cable box by using a centronics tuner), and it was freakin' sweet.

I will be projecting a 92" image onto a white screen, sitting 9' away....I can't wait until I'm able to hook this baby up for real.

92" ? come on.. be a man.. get a 136".. I did. hehe..

I cant wait to watch some blu ray action movies powered by my Denon 4806 and NHT VT1.4s
post #659 of 1937 Old 04-06-2010, 11:19 AM

LOL, I wish I had the height for it....

I originally ordered a 120" before doing a lot of size research, then I realized that there is no way my room could comfortably handle that.....So, I cancelled then reordered in a 92" size...

My friggin basement ceiling is only 7' tall unfinished, and will be about 6' 8" after the suspended ceiling is installed....I'll just have to sit close and pretend it's 120"+

Enjoy the PJ, I can't wait to start enjoying mine.

xbox: McFly1955
post #660 of 1937 Old 04-06-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

92" ? come on.. be a man.. get a 136".. I did. hehe..

Quote:

(wife will never allow this to be a permanent fixture)..

Pot ... meet kettle.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page