post #91 of 1937 Old 12-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompace View Post

Actually there is a 2:2 on or off setting under the Signal submenu.

Didn't know thanks. Mine switched automatically when fed 1080p/24.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1937 Old 12-18-2009, 01:11 AM

Hi, I have a problem with any thick horizontal lines (see picture) primarily displayed at 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 film format usually in light or smog scene. When is format 16:9 the ghost lines are not. Any decision?
LL
LL
post #93 of 1937 Old 12-18-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 View Post

Has anyone tried any DIY material with this specific projector (screen wise). My current screen is made of Doable but was wondering if there would be a material (Wilson art, etc.) that I could get better contrast or black levels with. I am thinking Wilson Art grey would be better. I could be spinning my wheels posting in this thread but just figured I'd give it a try.
Has anyone tried AT material as well. I was also thinking of making a screen from the Dazian material but was worried about moire with this specific projector.

Check out the DIY section. It has great info on DIY screen of all type. You will get more in depth answers from the knowledgeable folks there.
I am getting great whites and good black from my DIY paint job.
post #94 of 1937 Old 12-18-2009, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm wondering if I have a convergence problem. In the middle of the picture convergence is okay, but toward the edges it looks like it's about a pixel off, so I see one pixel of red and one green.

I really don't want to send it to Epson. Plus I think it affects sharpness. What is the acceptable pixel divergence - 1/2 or 1 pixel? Anyone?
post #95 of 1937 Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

How large are you projecting? If it's to large, slight distortions on the outer portions will become more noticeable. This is why some build "curved" screens to compensate.

I have eight different bosses right now. ...Eight. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled.
post #96 of 1937 Old 12-18-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringals View Post

How large are you projecting? If it's to large, slight distortions on the outer portions will become more noticeable. This is why some build "curved" screens to compensate.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am running a 150" diagonal screen (white wall, really), but the pixels not in the center are off about one or two pixels. Not on the edges, that would be okay -- but right and left of center. It bothers me and coming from a DLP, the 8100 doesn't look as sharp. Is that because of the misaligned panels (if they are misaligned and fall outside the spec)?
post #97 of 1937 Old 12-18-2009, 10:05 AM

I posted some new test patterns for panel misalignment over here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17744800

Please feel free to use them on your machine and post some results. The more pictures we get the better we can see how much misalignment is "normal".
post #98 of 1937 Old 12-18-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, thanks, I had seen them previously when I read the threads on the 8100
post #99 of 1937 Old 12-18-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahro View Post

coming from a DLP, the 8100 doesn't look as sharp. Is that because of the misaligned panels

Probably is....I own a VP4001 (DLP) and am running a HTPC on a 120" screen. Text is crystal clear and sharp on 1280X720. I was helping my friend recently (AE2000) with his new HTPC and we couldn't get a crystal clear desktop out of it due to some minor (but obvious on a HTPC) panel convergence issues. We ran DVE test patterns and u could tell especially in the corners that the aligment were slightly off. But then again, most people might not even notice this or will happily live with it (those that can't handle rainbows on DLP).

I'm looking for a 1080p upgrade too but I'm a sharpness freak so will probably end up with the HC3800 considering my main source is my HTPC (BR, OTA TV,etc) and I know convergence issues will drive me crazy since I'm sitting 10 feet away from the screen.

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

post #100 of 1937 Old 12-18-2009, 01:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkinPaul View Post

I'm using a 100", WilsonArt DW, DIY fixed frame I built. I have the plans in Sketchup if anyone cares to see them.

So far, I love it.

I would be interested. Could you PM me the info. Also, what color are you using? Thanks in advance.
post #101 of 1937 Old 12-18-2009, 01:45 PM

Any suggestions for settings when using a 360? Iris on or off when gaming?
BTW is this thing silent or is my fan broken? Seriously this thing is silent.
post #102 of 1937 Old 12-18-2009, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the lamp in my DT-500 blew up last night, so I went to BB and picked up the 8100 today. I got it mounted and I'm having a couple of issues.

1. Can the PC input be used as a component input? I don't think so; I see no reference in the manual that it can, and I can't find a setting in the menu to make the colors right (Very Green) but I thought I'd ask anyway.

2. HDMI Handshake issues suck!! HD-XA2 = No problem, Xbox 360 = No problem, Panasonic DMP-BD35 - problem. This is through the Monoprice 4x1 hdmi switcher.
post #103 of 1937 Old 12-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Im very interested in this projector. Can someone please take shots of some blurays and games to give me an idea? How deep does the blacks get on this thing? Can you compare to a certain plasma or LCD?

thanks
post #104 of 1937 Old 12-18-2009, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

bri1270
Quote:

1. Can the PC input be used as a component input?

You are NOT asking us to read a manual are you? (how unmanly!) What does the manual say? I find the Epson menu's way beyond utterly confusing. (so I should read the manual?). Most pj's let you do this, with a setting, so it is strange if this one won't. I'm sure someone will check it out for you, but I'm a lazy Basterd!
It is a bit strange that the "by far" least likely component to give you trouble is giving you trouble? hmmm.
post #105 of 1937 Old 12-18-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are NOT asking us to read a manual are you? (how unmanly!) What does the manual say? I find the Epson menu's way beyond utterly confusing. (so I should read the manual?). Most pj's let you do this, with a setting, so it is strange if this one won't. I'm sure someone will check it out for you, but I'm a lazy Basterd!
It is a bit strange that the "by far" least likely component to give you trouble is giving you trouble? hmmm.

The Epson manual is good for crap, I've already given it a scan; I wouldn't ask anyone to do anything I'm not prepared to do myself. It doesn't tell you anything, and the menu's aren't intuitive at all. I still can't find anything on the vga input configurations. You're right though, usually there's an option to run the vga port in a component configuration, but I can't find it anywhere.

The Panny DMP-BD35 works fine if I connect directly to it instead of going through the monoprice switcher.

So far I've been pleasantly surprised with the PQ. Someone with a VP4001 mentioned that they didn't think the 8100 was as sharp as their DLP. I'm coming from a DT-500 (very similar to the 4001) and I actually think the 8100 is a tad sharper and I am able to get much better focus than I could with the DT-500. The black levels are about the same, brightness goes to the 8100, as does ease of installation particularly with regards to lens shift. The 8100 is much quieter than the DT-500, from the initialization to the continuous fan noise. Colors and Pop are very surprising, better than I had expected. I have not calibrated yet, but so far it seems pretty decent. My only regret to this point is that I didn't buy it when BB had that killer sale a couple of weeks ago. Oh, and that I had to buy a new mount from BB because the monoprice mount I had for the Sharp wouldn't fit. That was a real bummer. I was strongly considering the possibility of simply trying the 8100 for the weekend and returning it sometime early next week, but after watching a couple of movies and playing a little xbox, I think I may keep it.
post #106 of 1937 Old 12-18-2009, 10:31 PM

If you guys are connected through HDMI, make sure enhanced mode for HDMI is on in options.
post #107 of 1937 Old 12-19-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grishi View Post

If you guys are connected through HDMI, make sure enhanced mode for HDMI is on in options.

I have the HDMI connection. The picture is excellent under "v.x.color" - 80% better than the other modes. BD player Panasonic BD-35, Onkyo TX-SR 605.
post #108 of 1937 Old 12-19-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1270 View Post

Well, the lamp in my DT-500 blew up last night, so I went to BB and picked up the 8100 today. I got it mounted and I'm having a couple of issues.

1. Can the PC input be used as a component input? I don't think so; I see no reference in the manual that it can, and I can't find a setting in the menu to make the colors right (Very Green) but I thought I'd ask anyway.

2. HDMI Handshake issues suck!! HD-XA2 = No problem, Xbox 360 = No problem, Panasonic DMP-BD35 - problem. This is through the Monoprice 4x1 hdmi switcher.

It seems like it's your cable or switcher. I had a similar problem with my HDMI cable going to the PJ from a Denon 2809. I could watch HD from Dishnetwork, but no 1080P signal would work. After some detective work, I found it was the cable. The company I purchased it from send me an replacement in the mail within 3 days. Now my PS3, Panasonic BD80 and other 1080p is all good.
post #109 of 1937 Old 12-19-2009, 02:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrTAPOUT View Post

Im very interested in this projector. Can someone please take shots of some blurays and games to give me an idea? How deep does the blacks get on this thing? Can you compare to a certain plasma or LCD?

thanks

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...177582&page=23

Hope these help you.

Wake me when HD gets Here!
post #110 of 1937 Old 12-19-2009, 05:23 AM

Liked: 12
Well, I finally got mine mounted on the ceiling. If your mount doesn't have a place to hide the hdmi and the power cord, what are you guys using to make it look better than just cutting a hole in the ceiling? MY wife isn't too excited about a big hole behind the projector to run the wires up thru the attic? Anyone have pics? Suggestions? Thanks for your help!
post #111 of 1937 Old 12-19-2009, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It seems like it's your cable or switcher.

I'm guessing the switcher since it worked fine when I went directly from the 8100 to the BD35.
post #112 of 1937 Old 12-19-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grishi View Post

I went thru every option on the 8100's menu and I did not see "enhanced mode" for HDMI in the options. Where is this setting located at?
By the way, I just purchased this PJ, upgraded from an epson powerlite home 10+. I'll just say "WOW!!"
post #113 of 1937 Old 12-19-2009, 10:39 AM

[quote=bri1270;17747218]Well, the lamp in my DT-500 blew up last night, so I went to BB and picked up the 8100 today. I got it mounted and I'm having a couple of issues.

Unfortunately no. I tried it with my component converter and got green colors also. I thought it would work since many projectors are set up to work this way (and the review at projectorreviews claimed it did).
post #114 of 1937 Old 12-19-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately no. I tried it with my component converter and got green colors also. I thought it would work since many projectors are set up to work this way (and the review at projectorreviews claimed it did).

Yeah, I didn't think so. I can't find anything anywhere on how to change the format from RGB to component. I saw Art's mention of it as well, which really sent me for a loop thinking it had to be there somewhere, and I just wasn't seeing it. Sort of silly that it doesn't support that conversion. Oh well, I'll figure something else out. Thanks for confirming.
post #115 of 1937 Old 12-19-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1270 View Post

Yeah, I didn't think so. I can't find anything anywhere on how to change the format from RGB to component. I saw Art's mention of it as well, which really sent me for a loop thinking it had to be there somewhere, and I just wasn't seeing it. Sort of silly that it doesn't support that conversion. Oh well, I'll figure something else out. Thanks for confirming.

I believe Art was testing a pre production model, there were several menu options that he mentions that we don't have..............
post #116 of 1937 Old 12-19-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indulger View Post

I went thru every option on the 8100's menu and I did not see "enhanced mode" for HDMI in the options. Where is this setting located at?
By the way, I just purchased this PJ, upgraded from an epson powerlite home 10+. I'll just say "WOW!!"

Menu/Signal/Advanced/HDMI Video Range

This doesnt work in x.v.Color Mode
post #117 of 1937 Old 12-19-2009, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgettl View Post

Well, I finally got mine mounted on the ceiling. If your mount doesn't have a place to hide the hdmi and the power cord, what are you guys using to make it look better than just cutting a hole in the ceiling? MY wife isn't too excited about a big hole behind the projector to run the wires up thru the attic? Anyone have pics? Suggestions? Thanks for your help!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

If you need both power and your hdmi, I seen at Lowes last night a wall plate that had an opening about 1" wide by about 2.5" tall with a flap of sort where you can slip any cable through for a cleaner look then just a hole. I can't find an image online to show you, but the "flap" is like a rubber seal that is on the bottom of an exterior door.

I have eight different bosses right now. ...Eight. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled.
post #118 of 1937 Old 12-19-2009, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by padgettl View Post

These work very well. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage They also have double gang plates as well.
post #119 of 1937 Old 12-20-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 View Post
I would be interested. Could you PM me the info. Also, what color are you using? Thanks in advance.
I'm using the Designer white. I believe the model number was DW 354-60. Search on these forums. I believe there is a thread dedicated to it. There are also a lot of hits on google.

One note, You will need some flat wood. I found some really flat, 1x4 fir. Plywood would probably work too. It is two pieces sandwiched together, so that helps some on the flatness. I used pocket screws to join the pieces and a french cleat to hang it on the wall.

Each piece in the drawing is a component, so you can take it apart too. In the drawing, I painted the outer piece black to get an idea of the final look. But, it's easier to see what's going on if it's not black. YMMV. I like mine. I'll take some pics of the finished screen and post them. WA was ~$85 and wood was ~$65. Screws, washers, ~$5.

You could just screw it to your wall and save the money for popcorn and BD's. Frame looks nice and is more portable.

Screen Shots in Action!

I couldn't figure out how to attach a file on PM's. So, here's the file:

screen100fixedMasked.zip 11.5654296875k . file
post #120 of 1937 Old 12-20-2009, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Not to derail this into a screen thread, but I would recommend you use plywood (3/4") and rip the strips yourself if you can. You maybe able to persuade the HomeDepot kids to rip what you need on their beast of a cutter. Plywood is much more stable and will not warp or expand/contract as much as strip lumber will with changes in temp and humidity.

As far as hanging, the french cleat method is definatly the most secure and simple method to hang.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page