post #1921 of 1942 Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi76 View Post

I had the same color bands issue several people seem to have here with my 8700. Luckily for me, it was just before the 3 year date and so was within the AmEx extended warranty period (1 additional year after factory 2 yrs). Repair estimate was almost $2,000, original cost was $2,150. AmEx ended refunding the amount after I sent them the defective projector. Quite disappointed with the Epson experience.

I don't know about the Epson experience, but this is not a problem isolated to Epson alone. The PLC can move in ANY LCD projector. In fact, that's how I discovered the problem.... in a highly spoken of Panasonic.

Now the short LAMP life in the recent crop of Epsons.... well, that's another story. I don't know if it's Epson or the fact that everything is being outsourced to China and they are laughing their asses off at us Americans for buying their cheap, short lived CRAP!

Welcome to the darkside.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1942 Old 09-21-2013, 07:11 PM

Liked: 10
I bought my 8100 about 3 years ago. I am on my first bulb, but I usually use it for just movies. When I turn it on the power button stays on, and the second button lights up. I hear a couple of internal clicks, then after about 5-10 seconds it turns off. Is it because the bulb blew? The picture was getting dark, and it seems that precedes bulb death.
Thanks.
post #1923 of 1942 Old 09-22-2013, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last couple of weeks a notice yellow border around text but only text located in center of the screen. Bought new lamp and replaced it and there is the same issue. I read some topics and some of them write about a polariser problem.

You can see there is no yellow border around text if I move menu dialogue to left or left bottom (also right, bottom, top)...

Any idea how can I solve this?
Thanks

post #1924 of 1942 Old 09-23-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renouart View Post

I bought my 8100 about 3 years ago. I am on my first bulb, but I usually use it for just movies. When I turn it on the power button stays on, and the second button lights up. I hear a couple of internal clicks, then after about 5-10 seconds it turns off. Is it because the bulb blew? The picture was getting dark, and it seems that precedes bulb death.
Thanks.

Probably the lamp. Getting dim fast is the usual death knell.

post #1925 of 1942 Old 09-23-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rap3r View Post

Last couple of weeks a notice yellow border around text but only text located in center of the screen. Bought new lamp and replaced it and there is the same issue. I read some topics and some of them write about a polariser problem.

You can see there is no yellow border around text if I move menu dialogue to left or left bottom (also right, bottom, top)...

Thanks

Right now the theory is that one of the elements has a condensation spot or something on it. Maybe even dust, of all things. That would cause a halo or out of focus effect in a spot or one color.
But not positive yet. I have not had a projector to look at with this problem on my bench, so can only guess. But I do think it's a contamination issue.

post #1926 of 1942 Old 09-24-2013, 02:06 AM

Thanks for your replay. Can you tell me what is contamination issue?

So first thing would be to open projector and clean all lenses?
post #1927 of 1942 Old 09-26-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

If I knew what the contamination was, I would have posted it. I SUSPECT it is contamination.

Yes, the obvious thing to do is to clean the optical block.

HOWEVER, do NOT attempt this if you have any warranty. Only do this if you wrote off the projector already and are ready to replace it.
Because you can completely break it if you are not careful.

Do so at your own risk! I say this every single time, ONLY try this if your projector is basically at the "I'm going to toss it" point and you don't care if you break it.

There are some videos on the basic cleaning of LCD projectors. Not hard, but very careful and CLEAN work. Lint free gloves, the proper cleaning tools and fluids, etc.

Sometimes you may even get lucky and get it with a little compressed air.

post #1928 of 1942 Old 09-27-2013, 05:21 AM

OK, thanks a lot. Will try to find service where they can clean it.
post #1929 of 1942 Old 09-29-2013, 05:28 AM

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to followup from my post one page back because my experience has been very pleasant with Epson.

I was about to call a repair shop to get a quote on the expected repair (not difficult but detailed work? I don't have the patience wink.gif ) but I decided to call Epson first to see what they had to say. I described the problem and gave the man my serial number, he told me that the projector was still under warranty for this type of issue so he issued a complete unit replacement at no cost to me; I just had to send back my current unit to them. The nice added touch was that a couple months back my bulb blew out and I only had this projector for about a year at the time. They replaced the bulb then too under warranty and without any cost to me because, again they said it was a particular issue that was still under warranty.

So now I have a new projector (new to me, it's a refurb from them but that's standard practice for any company), a new bulb that came with it, and my previous new bulb that's only a couple months old. I swear this projector is also sharper than my last one. The color looks more vibrant too, but I haven't had the chance to calibrate it yet anyways. I suppose that this is the subjective part of this post, or my previous unit really was not all that sharp.

Any rate, I felt it was worth while to post a positive note about Epson. Seriously, between this replacement and the bulb replacement a few months back, and their overall phone support, their customer service is next to Apples from my perspective. In a future upgrade Epson will default to my number 1 pick unless something stellar catches my eye.

Just to be clear, I bought my projector about a year and a half ago and when they asked if I bought new or refurbished I said it was new. I'm pretty sure it was listed as new, but I don't have the ad to remind me. At any rate it seems a lot of folks here have had their projectors for 3+ years so my experience would probably not be the same as everyone else's.
post #1930 of 1942 Old 10-30-2013, 02:21 PM

Hi guys

I can't believe after many days of google searcing I found someone with the same problem as I do. I am in the UK so my Epson model is TW3500.

I left the projector unused for about a month and on using it recently, I noticed the green glow around the Epson logo....exactly the same as someone posted on the previous page. So as suggested here by the expert...it could be dust, condensation or some other contamination. Out of those three, I would think mine could be condensation as the room the projector was in was quite cold.

I am wondering if anyone has managed to clear up the issue by cleaning the optical block? If so, any tips on where to look for instructions on opening the projector?

post #1931 of 1942 Old 11-04-2013, 01:52 PM

Real quick question guys. Is there a menu that shows the total usage in hours for the projector? Not the lamp counter, but the actual projector total hours used. If so, what buttons do i press to get this information up? Thanks
post #1932 of 1942 Old 11-04-2013, 04:21 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethagized View Post

Real quick question guys. Is there a menu that shows the total usage in hours for the projector? Not the lamp counter, but the actual projector total hours used. If so, what buttons do i press to get this information up? Thanks
If I recall (which is questionable, but possible biggrin.gif ), the service menu should show the total projector hours. I can't recall how to access the Service Menu, but if you search this thread or possibly some similar Epson HC threads, you'll find it before too long... -TD
post #1933 of 1942 Old 12-02-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

Now the short LAMP life in the recent crop of Epsons.... well, that's another story. I don't know if it's Epson or the fact that everything is being outsourced to China and they are laughing their asses off at us Americans for buying their cheap, short lived CRAP!

I am shopping for a replacement bulb for my 8100, I am not going to buy the $49.99 bulb, you have me concerned with this statement. I realize that any bulb is more or less a crap shoot with longevity, however are you also implying that even my $250 replacement lamp has the same or is prone to not lasting the 4000 hrs claim?
post #1934 of 1942 Old 12-04-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Seeker View Post

I am shopping for a replacement bulb for my 8100, I am not going to buy the $49.99 bulb, you have me concerned with this statement. I realize that any bulb is more or less a crap shoot with longevity, however are you also implying that even my $250 replacement lamp has the same or is prone to not lasting the 4000 hrs claim?

I'm not implying anything due to possible liability, but considering the country of origin that most if not all these lamps come from, I would refrain from holding my breath on that 4000 hours.

These lamps are tricky to begin with, so you could get a "cheap" lamp that lasts 40 or 4000 hours, just as well as a "marked up" lamps that's the same. It depends on the country of origin. We all know by now that quality varies. wink.gif

post #1935 of 1942 Old 12-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Would love to hear what you guys are using for settings for your PS4 or other consoles if you guys are still out there haha. I did look through 30 pages or so for console settings but didn't see anything. I'm using a white screen.

Thanks!

post #1936 of 1942 Old 05-07-2014, 06:13 PM

Hey to all. Resurrecting this thread in hopes of getting some guidance. I just picked up an 8100 for next to nothing knowing of the issue I am posting about in hopes of resurrecting it due to the low number of hours on the unit (< 800). There is a "halo" effect going on on the screen. I tried compressed air in all of the accessible areas, made sure the bulb was seated properly and cleaned the lens. Nothing made any difference. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Here are some pics of the issue:

post #1937 of 1942 Old 07-10-2014, 01:58 AM

Liked: 0
I have this problem too...
EPSON PowerLine Home Cinema 8100 color convergence problem

Looks like a bad green polarizer. But I took my "incidence" (first) polarizer out and it looks ok (clean, with no damage on it). So it could be the second one, which is between an LCD and a prism. I think there is also aditional color filter in the same place... So I have to figure out how to remove the LCD block from the projector so I can inpect these two pieces of glass for damage.

Last edited by grpo; 07-10-2014 at 04:21 AM.
post #1938 of 1942 Old 09-08-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi friends,

My Epson 8100 Home Cinema pro works well. Too well it seems. I use it in my home theater in the basement and for the past 2 years brother in law has made it a twice a week ritual to invite his friends to the basement and spend entire weekends. It is totally putting our family life and privacy on hold and wife is too sensitive about her brother. He and his friends are over every weekend, usually from Sat night to Sunday night. I don't mind occasional visitors to hang out with, but with them taking the house over every weekend, but I have become a stranger in my own house.

I need to replace the lamp with a broken one for a weeks so I can break this routine. I am willing to buy (for a reasonable price) and pay for shipping a BROKEN/BURNT/NOT WORKING lamp for Epson 8100 ProLite model.

My understanding is that a lamp compatible with any of the following projectors will work -- i just need an old broken lamp with housing that makes it look like that my lamp is bad and maybe I will get a break for a few weeks, a month or two if i am lucky before I am forced to 'replace' the lamp and suffer again.

Please help a brother out...

If anyone has advice on where else I can hunt for a broken/bad lamp, please do let me know.

list of projectors that are a match:

Pro Cinema 9700UB
Pro Cinema 9350
Home Cinema 8700UB
Home Cinema 8350
Pro Cinema 9500UB
Pro Cinema 9100
Home Cinema 8500UB
Home Cinema 8100
Pro Cinema 7500UB
Home Cinema 7100
Home Cinema 6500
Home Cinema 6100
Home Cinema 6500UB
TW3000
TW4000
TW5000
H373A
post #1939 of 1942 Old 09-08-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswarrior View Post
Hi friends,

My Epson 8100 Home Cinema pro works well. Too well it seems. I use it in my home theater in the basement and for the past 2 years brother in law has made it a twice a week ritual to invite his friends to the basement and spend entire weekends. It is totally putting our family life and privacy on hold and wife is too sensitive about her brother. He and his friends are over every weekend, usually from Sat night to Sunday night. I don't mind occasional visitors to hang out with, but with them taking the house over every weekend, but I have become a stranger in my own house.

I need to replace the lamp with a broken one for a weeks so I can break this routine. I am willing to buy (for a reasonable price) and pay for shipping a BROKEN/BURNT/NOT WORKING lamp for Epson 8100 ProLite model.

My understanding is that a lamp compatible with any of the following projectors will work -- i just need an old broken lamp with housing that makes it look like that my lamp is bad and maybe I will get a break for a few weeks, a month or two if i am lucky before I am forced to 'replace' the lamp and suffer again.

Please help a brother out...

If anyone has advice on where else I can hunt for a broken/bad lamp, please do let me know.

list of projectors that are a match:

Pro Cinema 9700UB
Pro Cinema 9350
Home Cinema 8700UB
Home Cinema 8350
Pro Cinema 9500UB
Pro Cinema 9100
Home Cinema 8500UB
Home Cinema 8100
Pro Cinema 7500UB
Home Cinema 7100
Home Cinema 6500
Home Cinema 6100
Home Cinema 6500UB
TW3000
TW4000
TW5000
H373A
Man, I wish I could help you! Mine is still trucking a long on the original bulb. I'll do some watching tonight and who knows, maybe it will go tonight!? Hopefully someone will have one, good luck with your issue!
post #1940 of 1942 Old 10-19-2014, 06:32 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by rap3r View Post

Thanks

I have the same exact problem. Is there any solution available to fix this? It has gotten worse over the last few weeks. I have had the projector since 2009 and am on my 2nd bulb. Please help!
post #1941 of 1942 Old 10-19-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'd guess it's new projector time. Mine developed a red tint at the top and blue at the bottom. I contacted an Epson repair place and they wanted to charge over $1000 for a new light engine, and the projector was only going for $700 refurbed at the time.

Weirdly it went away with a new bulb, but quickly reappeared.
post #1942 of 1942 Old 10-19-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mine has a green line and a red tint at the top. I ordered a 5030ub which should be here on Tuesday. I figured that after 5 years of faithful use, it was time to upgrade anyway.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page