*Official* Epson Home Cinema 8100 owners thread! - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

Old 02-26-2016, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello people, I have a brief question regarding the 8100. I was looking for a projector for the living room for a few months now (only for movie watching, about 5-6 hrs a week in total, mostly in the evenings) and I ended up at the Benq 1070+ as good value for money option, until the possibility of getting a hardly used 8100 with a new lamp installed for 300 euros (I guess about 320 bucks) came about. Now that the dust has settled, do you owners still think it's s good deal for this money? I've been reading about all these issues (strange colors/ lamp life etc) that have been plaguing owners lately and got a bit concerned.

Many thanks in advance!

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2016, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm not convinced the percentage of users reporting issues here or other forums are indicative of the average owner of the 8100, particularly in regards to lamp life. Predominantly, the lamp life issues I've seen noted are from folks that use the projector in an atypical fashion, such as a replacement for a general use TV. Due to frequent lamp strikes using the projector in this manner, this can/will drastically shorten the life span of the projector bulb, Projector Central has a couple notes on this here.

As for other reliability issues noted, the number of users encountering these problems will typically be very vocal, which is often a small percentage. That is in no way discounting the problems these particular owners faced and issues they've had to deal with, but the reliability of Epson home theater projectors is overall extremely positive. I had my 8100 in use for a couple of years in a similar capacity that you described, kept the filter clean, had it ceiling mounted with plenty of ventilation in a dedicated home theater environment with no issues to speak of in approximately 800+ hrs of use. The only reason it's not currently in use is I upgraded to an 8700, so the 8100 has been relegated to backup duty.

Unless the unit has mechanical or convergence issues, an 8100 with a new bulb for that price is a heck of a deal. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better price/performance ratio.
wunderhund likes this.

Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5 | Yamaha CX-A5000 | Mitsubishi WD-73742 | Epson 8700UB
Boston Acoustics VS 336s, VS 325c, Emotiva ERD-1s (x2) | 15" TC-2000 DIY Sub
Dish Hopper with Sling | Oppo BDP-93 | AppleTV v4 | Roku 3
Old 02-26-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I sold my 8100 a while back when I upgraded projectors but the 8100 was and is a very nice projector, especially for that price. If that is your budget, you can't go wrong for that price.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post
I sold my 8100 a while back when I upgraded projectors but the 8100 was and is a very nice projector, especially for that price. If that is your budget, you can't go wrong for that price.
Thanks so much guys, I was heading a new budget Benq for around 800 but if the older 8100 is not much worse in terms of performance and is only a fraction of that price I'll go for it. I'll be happy if it lasts for a couple of years and then I will reconsider, given my experience, whether to further invest in a newer projector or roll back to the TV solution.
Old Today, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi guys, hoping someone would know this, my tw3500(8100) suddenly stopped working, after I turn it on there's a usual motor noise and lens noise then the fan comes on then gets slightly louder, power button flashing blue gently then lamp light flashing red and fan gets really loud.
Nothing projected and lamp only about 1450 hours.

Is this just a matter of replacing the bulb or something like the motor issue that some people had?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement