Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 77 Old 05-02-2012, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

Sorry for bringing back an older thread, but this is awesome. I plan to get this for my 7000U. Since serial ports on PCs is now pretty old school, will this work with a USB to serial port adapter? Also, the IR232 only needs to be plugged into the PC during programming right? Then, it's plugged into the projector after that?

Yes, it will work with a USB to serial adapter, but adapters with FTDI chipsets seem to work better for most applications. The one we sell has an FTDI chipset.

The PC is needed only for programming.

It is up to you to determine if you need a gender changer or null-modem adapter when connecting between the IR232 and projector. Someone on these forums might be able to tell you that.

Oops, nevermind. Check the first post in this thread for that info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 05-02-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPeek View Post

It is up to you to determine if you need a gender changer or null-modem adapter when connecting between the IR232 and projector. Someone on these forums might be able to tell you that.

Oops, nevermind. Check the first post in this thread for that info.

Well, I know this is the 7000U and is likely the same as the 4000U as far as the serial port is concerned, but some people in this thread mention the null-modem cable requirement and others say it's NOT required. I am looking at this excerpt from the 7000U manual and it appears as though the cable has no crossed wires (which would indicate that a null-modem cable is NOT required.)

EDIT: Now I'm looking at the product details on your web site and see the following:

Quote:

So now, I'm confused. By the looks of things, do I or don't I need the null modem cable?

Chet
post #63 of 77 Old 05-02-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I know this is the 7000U and is likely the same as the 4000U as far as the serial port is concerned, but some people in this thread mention the null-modem cable requirement and others say it's NOT required. I am looking at this excerpt from the 7000U manual and it appears as though the cable has no crossed wires (which would indicate that a null-modem cable is NOT required.)

EDIT: Now I'm looking at the product details on your web site and see the following:

So now, I'm confused. By the looks of things, do I or don't I need the null modem cable?

I know I used a Null cable on my 4000. And I know I read someone with a 4000 that went to a 7000 did the swap with out changing anything on the RS-232 unit.
post #64 of 77 Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

I know I used a Null cable on my 4000. And I know I read someone with a 4000 that went to a 7000 did the swap with out changing anything on the RS-232 unit.

Well, I have a serial cable in the wall already (female on both ends) and I still need to make wall plates. So, I may just make the switch happen in the wall plate.

Does anybody know where to get DB-9 wall plates that have male on the side inside that wall? Serial is kind of a dying technology.

Chet
post #65 of 77 Old 05-04-2012, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

...So now, I'm confused. By the looks of things, do I or don't I need the null modem cable?

Do what I did: get a regular serial cable and a NULL Modem Adapter such as this. I did this principally because I wanted an angled cable and couldn't find an angled NULL Modem cable but was able to find an angled regular serial cable.

Incidentally, I moved from a 4000 to a 7000 and still had to use the NULL Modem adapter.
post #66 of 77 Old 05-04-2012, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

...Does anybody know where to get DB-9 wall plates that have male on the side inside that wall?...

Here.

You can always use low-profile gender changers to convert the connectors if you need to.
post #67 of 77 Old 05-04-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks James! I placed my order last night for two vga wall plates and I am going to remove the vga gender changers and change them over to serial gender changers. I also bought a null modem adapter which will mount on the back of the projector and solve that issue. Add a couple of serial cables and the job will be complete. It all cost me about $17 bucks from monoprice.com.

Chet
post #68 of 77 Old 05-04-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

For me I just set the IR/RS-232 reciever on top of the projector and used a short cable to hook it up. It picks up all IR signals bounced of the screen just fine, just like the original in the projector.
post #69 of 77 Old 05-04-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, but my IR232 is going in the closet with the rest of my gear because I'm using a Harmony 900 that sends an RF signal into an RF to IR blaster. All of my gear is in the closet with the exception of the projector and the speakers. Very clean setup.

Chet
post #70 of 77 Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I also created an Excel spreadsheet that uses macros to create the RS-232 code needed for the IR232. I did this as an attempt to reduce typing errors and to keep as a cross reference for the Sony buttons and matching them to Panasonic RS-232 commands. It was a huge help when manually programming/learning the Sony IR codes using the Harmony software.

Simply type in the Sony Key Code, corresponding Sony Remote Button, Panasonic RS-232 Command and SubCommand (if required), the spreadsheet will generate the IR232 code in the Final column. Just copy and paste and it's done.

*Notes:

The green fields in the Panasonic Control Contents are items that I have already programmed into the Harmony Remote. The color helps me know which items I still need to "teach" the Harmony.

I totally want to get all of the Panasonic 7000U picture modes programmed, but even though my Sony remote has more buttons, I haven't been unable to find the Sony code that these buttons generate. Anybody have a really good source for more Sony remote codes? I have this remote and I'd like to be able to use the Prev, Replay, Advance, Next, Play, Pause, Stop, Favorites, Input, Return, Home, & Options buttons:

RS232_Remote_Codes.zip 10.302734375k . file

Chet
post #71 of 77 Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 AM

Liked: 40
If anyone is still monitoring this thread...

I'm in the process of trying to get an iTach (Ethernet - Serial converter) talking to my AE4000, no luck so far.

In trying to debug things, I disconnected the iTach and just went straight from a terminal emulator into the Panny. I have it set to 9600,n,8,1, no flow control. I've tried both straight and null modem cables, and I've tested the cables to be sure they work. No life or response out of the Panny's serial port.

Is there something I need to do to enable the serial port on the projector? It just seems completely non-responsive. If it were a bit-rate issue, it seems like I'd at least get some type of gibberish back.

I've looked through all the Panny menus and can't find anything pertaining to the serial port.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bryan
post #72 of 77 Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 AM

Liked: 40
Update to my previous post, and this is just for anyone who stumbles across this thread down the line. Happily, I was able to get things working this morning.

As mentioned in my previous post, I'm interfacing a Global Cache' iTach (WiFi) unit to my AE4000U. A Null Modem cable is NOT used for this. From the consensus of previous postings, it seems clear that a Null Modem cable is needed when interfacing to an IR232, which of course is the OP's point, but this does not necessarily apply to all devices that one might choose to use to control this projector.

The 2nd problem that was preventing me from talking to the Panny via my terminal emulator is that I needed to upgrade to a version of the emulator that allowed me to send hex control characters out. So a Power ON command, for example, needs to look like "0x02PON0x03" (without the quotes), where your terminal emulator will take the "0x02" and turn it into a binary value of 00000010 on the link. Now it all works like a charm.

Hope this might be of help.

Bryan
post #73 of 77 Old 03-02-2014, 04:45 PM

Perhaps this thread is still alive- hopefully some of the folks that pioneered this are still around-

I am trying to control my AE8000 with IR232. I believe the commands are the same as for the AE4000. While some of the commands are working, I cannot get the following to work:
1) Directional arrows (up, down, left, right)
2) Enter
3) Recall of present lens settings

Personally, I believe it is in the "Sony TV" that I selected in the Logitech Harmony setup application not generating the correct sony codes (or the codes are incorrect in the excel spreadsheet that I downloaded in this thread). I unfortunately do not have any sony remotes. I selected Sony KDL-55W802A (model I looked up on web being sold at Best Buy that had HDMI inputs). Does anyone have any recommendation on which other "Sony TV" to use from the database?

Here are some examples of the commands that are not working:

Up: M20=1,49,{2}OCU{3}
Down: M21=1,50,{2}OCD{3}

Lens Memory Load:
M7=1,4,{2}LMLI0=+00001{3}

Thanks!
post #74 of 77 Old 03-02-2014, 05:28 PM

OK- I figured out the Lens Memory load-
There were some errors in the spreadsheet.

Does anyone know what the Sony Directional Remote codes are (left, right, up, down)

Thanks!
post #75 of 77 Old 03-03-2014, 01:08 PM

Hi W.T,

I found a spreadsheet with some values - it was a few years ago, so I'm not 100% sure they are correct. But go ahead and try anyway!
Code:
Command         Device Code  Function Code
DirectionUp     1            116
DirectionDown   1            117
DirectionLeft   1            52
DirectionRight  1            51
Hope this helps!

Erdinger34
post #76 of 77 Old 03-03-2014, 01:10 PM

By the way, I used this Sony model in my setup: KDL-40HX705.
post #77 of 77 Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 PM

Thanks- If you have the whole spreadsheet which may have some additional values that may be useful, I can PM you my email address smile.gif

... I did get it to work, but in a very round-about fashion (using number buttons for the directions)
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page