ah crap, is my IN72 bulb dead? :( - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

So I have just returned home from Christmas with the inlaws. A fun 12 hour drive (urgh) ..... and just turned on my In72 to a *horrible* picture.

Basically, I cant get it to focus anymore. The picture looks like it has a second ghosted image just to the right. I have tried different sources and

The throw distance is around 20 feet, and it has not moved for at least six months. Lamp hours are 3942 on autopower mode which I appreciate is high. However, it still shines bright. Incidentally, my last IN72 (owned in another country) was still going strong at 5,000+ hours when we ebay'd it.

I have had the heating turned off in the house for the last week. Could a temperature drop of 20degrees more than normal use be the cause?

Frankly, I am lost as to what to do. Advice appreciated. I would really like to avoid getting a new bulb so soon after a horribly expensive Christmas. Particularly as I am not sure it is the bulb that is the problem.

It has been running for around an hour now and there is no noticeable sign of improvement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi pompeyjohn - that wouldn't be a lamp issue, it has to be something else. Maybe a bad input? Your one sentence about trying different sources was cutoff - did you try all inputs to see if the problem was on all? Did you try a different cable?

It could be an issue with the video processing, which would be bad news.

How about a power cycle. Did you try that?

If you move the focus ring, does the focus of the image change at all? If not, maybe the focus pinion is off track. That wouldn't account for the ghosting though.

If you want to open the case and check out the optical path, lens, and DMD chamber for any obvious physical issues, I posted instructions on how to clean dust blobs from the IN7x platform a while back. If you search on "IN76 +dust" you should find it. The instructions tell how to open the case and remove the lens, allowing access to the DMD chamber. It's a longshot you'd be able to find anything though, chances are it's probably not physical in nature.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Right, there is no way the lamp would be responsible for that. The easy way to eliminate or confirm the source input is to hit the projector menu. If that is affected, the projector is FUBAR'd. Any repairs would not be easy or cost-effective.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that reply it was fantastic. I am just dropping to say I am off to bed now... am asleep on my feet here.

I'll try your suggestions tomorrow. The cut-off sentence was to say that I had tried multiple sources/inputs/cables.

Thankfully I am "working from home" tomorrow so I can work on it then.

Thanks again.
John
Old 12-28-2009, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
In any event 4,000 and 5,000 on lamp is close to a record can't be dissapointed there. And these are the same lamps everybody else is using.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Old 02-07-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Apologies for the long delay in replying. I am getting too many emails at the moment, and if I dont deal with something that day it slips off the front page and days become weeks.

An update. As suddenly as the problem came, it went. The picture sharpened up and looked great again. And then today the problem returned.

So I am back to square one. I am going to take the PJ apart in a minute and blow some air over the optics. Perhaps this is just gunk.

Jeff, your guide looks perfect -thank you for taking the time to write it.

Guitarman, yeah I appreciate that I am on borrowed time with the bulb. I am just desperate to avoid getting a new bulb if at all possible.

If I do have to open the wallet......

1. Is their a supplier favored by avsforum members for lamps?
2. The IN72, is pretty old now - but I remember it being excellent bang for buck when I got it. Is there something else I should be looking at now instead of a replacement bulb.

Now where was that compressed air......
Old 03-30-2011, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

I thought you may all enjoy this update

after the short term weird dimming, I am happy to report that the bulb is still going bright and strong!

6148 hours

[the picture is shaky and slightly out of focus as I was moving furniture around when I checked this]

Come on Infocus, surely this is a record and as it is such great publicity I should get a replacement bulb when this ones quits..... or should I say if?!

Old 03-31-2011, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just looking at these post and I thought I would mention that I have a IN72 and the last time I checked the lamp hours about a year ago it was over 7000 I'll check it again when I turn it on tonight and post how many it is now. I have sure got my $500 worth out of this thing.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:45 PM

What ended up solving the problem you were having?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

it was nothing I did - it just resolved itself after a few hours. I am guessing that maybe it was heat related as this only ever happened when the device had been powered off completely for a considerable length of time.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

I thought y'all might get a kick out of this ....

pkLnV.jpg