Low budget, standards to match. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Happy New Year everybody! I've been reading this forum for awhile, and you guys really know your stuff. I'm fresh off my first projector, and I've got the itch. I think this should have enough specs for my fellow geeks here to help me out.

I'm replacing a Sony VPL-CS1 (4:3 SVGA, 600 lumens, LCD) that a friend dug out of his work's trash. It finally burned out after 6000 hours, and although it had low brightness, low resolution and mediocre PQ, we loved it.

My budget is only $400-$600, and while that's half a projector to most of you, we'll still be able to blow ourselves away with a projector in that price range, because we're used to, well, glorified shadow puppets.

My room is 11'2" L x 14'5" W x 8' H. The projector is on a shelf behind our couch in a built-in bookcase, and sits about 44" off the ground. It's 11' 2" from our 85" (diagonal) white screen (70" W). Viewable screen area starts 14" down from the ceiling. We have a moderate amount of light control, but almost never watch stuff during the day. In fact, our screen is mounted above our windows so pulling it down acts like a shade. (and we're used to the modest amount of ambient light that may spill in from the kitchen or living room doorways, on either end of the 14'5".) Our ceilings are cardboard, and the room has a chandelier, so a ceiling mount is out of the question.

Even though it's just past the top end of my budget, I was looking at the Optoma HD65. Seems like a PJ we could grow into, replace the lamp fairly cheap, and would blow ours away. But I'm somewhat concerned that its lens offset and throw (1.1:1 zoom), might be a problem based on our projector's placement. At the moment, it throws above our heads as we sit, and rests on top of a couple DVD cases to angle the image down. Classy, I know.

Is the HD65 what I'm looking for? I'm not tied to 720p, LCD/DLP, or portability--I just want the best projector for my room and budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
HD65 is a very good choice.

Jim
Old 01-01-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimation View Post

Even though it's just past the top end of my budget, I was looking at the Optoma HD65. Seems like a PJ we could grow into, replace the lamp fairly cheap, and would blow ours away. But I'm somewhat concerned that its lens offset and throw (1.1:1 zoom), might be a problem based on our projector's placement.

Sounds like a good excuse to get a bigger screen to me. From 11'2" you would do about a 96" screen w/ the HD65. Pretty easy to get a budget screen for around $100. Or you could learn to live w/ the edges of the image projecting off the screen.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Wasn't planning on getting a new screen. Will I run into this problem with most widescreen format projectors at this throw distance?

Any other thoughts/suggestions?
Old 01-01-2010, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Not sure if posting a direct link is allowed, so google "projector calculator pro" and you will find one that allows you to choose the projector model and screen size and calculates all the figures you will need.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Great tip on the projector calculator.

After playing around for a bit, it looks like I'll need to get a bigger screen if I want to go the HD route. That said, I'm still concerned about the inflexibility of the HD65--I live in an apt and may move in the next year.

Can anyone recommend another comparable quality projector in the $400-$600 range? Should I just stick with SVGA/XGA if I don't want a bigger screen? Will it be a worthwhile improvement? Vivitek D825MS or INfocus LP70 or something like that?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:52 PM

There's pretty much nothing in the under $950 (street price) range with lens shift and 16:9 res.

If i were you and i had a STRICT budget, I would just keep what I've got. Because making the wife angry by stretching our finances is not on my list of things to do this week.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Find a couple year old XGA or 720 P projector for 200-500.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm unloading my Sharp A10x for $200 so if you're interested, pm me. Its my ht projector.

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Liked: 14
Sublimation

I know I will be called a hieratic for making this suggestion.

Given you projector back ground and you were happy with what you had I would suggest the LG HS201 LED projector for a few reasons.

Pros: under $500, 800 X 600 res (what you are use to), no lamp replacement ( most projectors after the 2-3rd year you've spent more on bulbs than the projector) , rated at 30,000 hours, has a HDMI, component input, (also doubles as the RGB input), analog video input (yellow RCA connector) and it will take a memory stick in various video formats, 200 lumens in this projector is much brighter than I thought (it may have to do with how the colors pops out)

I've had 1 for a month now I really like it (previous projectors Infocus X1 and Infocus IN 26), my background too is low cost low end projectors, so this was a step up for me.

Cons: when a computer image is displayed (I'm 92 inches diagonal) the pixels can be seen, in the brightest mode the fan is loud, but the normal is quit and in econo mode the fan virtually shuts off. Fixed zoom and this has a short throw (80 in screen would be a hair over 7.5 feet from screen), need a rather dark room to watch, can only do (native) 480P (DVD) will up scale the other resolutions.

I only make the suggestion you check this projector out because if you were happy with what you had you'll love this and if you want to stay on budget it is a 1 time expense with no reoccurring $200 bulb costs.

Just a thought

Brent
Old 01-05-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The HD65 is worth looking at, it is a great projector, but so is the Optoma HD20. With the HD20 there is the BenQ W1000, which is also great as its the HD20's main competitor.

Now since your budget is low, I would also like to recommend you perhaps some non-HD, but 16:9 compatible projectors. I personally own a non-HD, 16:9 compatible projector, and I think it works absolutely fine. I have the BenQ MP772 ST which incorporates Short Throw technology into the unit, which allows large projections at a short range.

People complain that 4:3 projectors aren't great for HD, but you'd be surprised at how great the projection is for a non-HD projector. 16:9 projectors are better, but 4:3 educational/business projectors are a lot brighter and sometimes have similar contrast ratio than low end HD projectors. The great thing about 4:3 projectors are that they usually retail for a reasonable price as well, and you can always use them in brighter conditions.

I Love Apple, BenQ, Samsung, and Acer Products = )
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

BB near me has an Mitsu HC1600 on clearance for $550. I've looked at other threads here, and seems like it might be a good entry-level projector for my needs. Any thoughts on this projector for my specific situation?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

BB near me has an Mitsu HC1600 on clearance for $550. I've looked at other threads here, and seems like it might be a good entry-level projector for my needs. Any thoughts on this projector for my specific situation?

Sounds good unless you are susceptible to RBE.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure about RBE, as I've never had a DLP projector. The Sanyo PLV-Z60 looks like a possible option for my space and budget.

I've heard some say that during the first few hundred hours of use any lamp gets considerably dimmer. Is this true? Considering the Sanyo's primary drawback seems to be a lack of lumens, I want to make sure I'm not undercutting myself too much.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Not sure about RBE, as I've never had a DLP projector. The Sanyo PLV-Z60 looks like a possible option for my space and budget.

I've heard some say that during the first few hundred hours of use any lamp gets considerably dimmer. Is this true? Considering the Sanyo's primary drawback seems to be a lack of lumens, I want to make sure I'm not undercutting myself too much.

Yes, the lamp gets dimmer but not so much that it ruins the picture in the first 200 hours. I'm running an old workhorse lamp in my PJ right now that has nearly 4500 hours on it and it's dim but not terrible. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but be prepared to be replacing the lamp at around the 3000 hour mark for most models. You may want to look into lamp price because they aren't exactly cheap. Ex: the cheapest lamp on any of the projectors I've owned was $300. This varies between models/manufacturers.

Another issue to consider is a bulb warranty which will add to the cost of whichever PJ you choose but is cheaper than continuously buying new lamps.

BTW, Amazon is running a deal on the HD65 right now. Not really sure how competitive the price is but it's just above your max.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

30 day return policy at BB (not sure how this works for projectors you better ask) assuming any kind of return without a fee this is no-brainer. Get it and see what you think......