List of Upcoming LED based PJ - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 02-26-2010, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please don't jump on the LED bandwagon by buying a projector off Ebay... please don't... that's how you jump onto the 'buying junk from random mainland companies' bandwagon. Most of those mainland manufacturers that sell cheap projectors on Ebay, not just LED, but standard projectors of all types, use really cheap materials for build, and have horrible QC, and limited to no certifications, brandless (shameless), and therefore making the projector extremely cheap.

It's like playing russian roulette, except instead of one bullet in the 6 pin chamber, there are probably 5/6 loaded. Don't test your luck with a brandless projector, please don't.... save yourself the trouble and frustration.

I Love Apple, BenQ, Samsung, and Acer Products = )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 02-26-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21 View Post

Please don't jump on the LED bandwagon by buying a projector off Ebay... please don't... that's how you jump onto the 'buying junk from random mainland companies' bandwagon. Most of those mainland manufacturers that sell cheap projectors on Ebay, not just LED, but standard projectors of all types, use really cheap materials for build, and have horrible QC, and limited to no certifications, brandless (shameless), and therefore making the projector extremely cheap.

It's like playing russian roulette, except instead of one bullet in the 6 pin chamber, there are probably 5/6 loaded. Don't test your luck with a brandless projector, please don't.... save yourself the trouble and frustration.

Well, I look at this with the different way. Most products are produced in China, includes brand-named products. So China can make the good products. At the same time, there are too many companies in China, some of them are not qualified to US market, some of them will be accepted by US market. This is just like Japan products on 60's, Korean products on 80's. We should know that China is 10 times bigger than Japan, so we will feel more impact from China.
post #33 of 40 Old 02-26-2010, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I just want a decent 720p LED PJ.

Ignorance can be cured, stupidity is forever.
Choosing sides is so...last gen.
360/PS3/Wii/HD DVD/Blu-Ray/Plasma/PJ - Too much money
Not having to choose - Priceless
post #34 of 40 Old 03-04-2010, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

updated listing with the newly announced Acer K11.
post #35 of 40 Old 03-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

From what I can tell is LG is the only one interesting from that list in the next few months. Can't wait.

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #36 of 40 Old 03-05-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb007 View Post

Well, I look at this with the different way. Most products are produced in China, includes brand-named products. So China can make the good products. At the same time, there are too many companies in China, some of them are not qualified to US market, some of them will be accepted by US market. This is just like Japan products on 60's, Korean products on 80's. We should know that China is 10 times bigger than Japan, so we will feel more impact from China.

I agree but not yet. The only company that's at that level now is Lenovo IMHO. But I like only their Thinkpads and those are designed in the US and Japan. Very similar to Apple products designed in the US and made in China. I have no doubt that China-made products are good these days but the design is still done by US, Taiwanese and Japanese companies.
post #37 of 40 Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 AM

I currently have a Mitsubishi HC-4900 projector for the living room home theater and extremely pleased with the 144" wide picture. In spite of its problems, I do love LCD-based projectors.

My questions are for the master bedroom. I recently sold the Sony SXRD 60" rear projector and decided no more big heavy tv's. That leaves my choice for another projector. I can buy a low-cost pj (I already have a $1200 pj picked out plus $500 for the 10' wide screen. Yeah, I know that's big for a bedroom but my wife and I like big).

Ok, now for the nitty-gritty. I use the Mits about 2 hrs a day and the pj in the bedroom would be about 3 hrs. The new pj I'm looking at has a 5000hr lamp life on eco mode, the same as my Mits4900. Lamp cost is $300 for each pj. 5k hours divided by 3hr/day=1666 days divided by 365days = 4.5 years for the bedroom pj.

Here's my conundrum...is it worth it to wait for a 1080p led or laser projector? (and it must be 1080, I'll never go back to 720) I'll admit my paranoia about running a bulb (something about turning on a pj and then having to go to the store or take care of other household issues and keeping it running...and the idea that each turn on eats up 2 hours of bulb life) and the cost...or if there will be a replacement bulb for the pj in the future. Am I just being batty about all this. IF an LED or Laser is in the works I can wait a year...I just don't want to take the plunge on a bulb-based projector and have buyers remorse plus remorse over not having the new technology (especially if the pj is a lot cheaper like the LG HS201)...(I sort of went through this with the Sony...within a year Sony quit producing RP tv's..and I sort of felt like I was taken).
Right now there's a Samsung 46" LCD in the bedroom and it's almost ok for the interim.

Thanks for any replies and feel free to tear me apart...verbally, that is.
post #38 of 40 Old 03-07-2010, 09:38 AM

[quote=tocaje;18265553]

Here's my conundrum...is it worth it to wait for a 1080p led or laser projector? (and it must be 1080, I'll never go back to 720)

No one will know what is the correct answer for you other than yourself. However I am in a similar situation and I am waiting for an LED projector. A bedroom seems like the ideal location for one of the early lower lumen LED projectors because bedrooms by their nature are less likely to have the open layout that makes good light control more difficult. But then again I do not really mind 720P so your requirements may push you into a different interim solution.
post #39 of 40 Old 03-23-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

I ran into this today and thought that others might want to have a look as well.

http://jessebandersen.blogspot.com/2...projector.html
http://jessebandersen.blogspot.com/2...deo-menus.html

The color definitely seems to have some pop but I'm not sure what is his projection distance and the overall size on his video.

I've asked can he do another video with a screen size of roughly 80" with some background/overhead light that isn't a completed darken room to see how much wash out the image gets.

I really want to like this projector since it is 1280x720 native and for my placement (basement with min lights) it would almost be perfect.
post #40 of 40 Old 03-23-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Ahem, 60 lumens and 200:1 contrast ratio, but it's HD, 1280 x 768, LED lamp with LCOS technology.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page