Need advice on optoma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-22-2010, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ran into one of these crazy things. It seems as an off-brand. never sene on ebefore. but guy said it died after a storm. So im assuming it got zapped.

Took it home, plugged it in, and all the LEDs on top flicker off-on-off-on. power supply is ticking.

So i tore it all the way down to nothing, power supply out, and not hooked to anything. Disabling the interlock, the power supply still ticks. I can watch my output rails swing up then back down to 0 on each tick. next tick comes, same thing happens. checked the caps ESR they are all fine, and checked all the diodes, transistors, and rectifiers in the circuit, all appear to be ok. all the major resistors are ok as well.

I have not checked most of the SMD resistors, although under a lighted magnafier none appear to have a hole blown in them, whcih usually happens with SMD resistors. Also I cannot find any data on this power supply or projector.

The power factor controller IC thats supposed to boost the 170V to 300-400V or so isnt kicking over either. so the main SMPS is trying to startup off of 170v, whcih i dotn know if it will or not. hence why it might be ticking, not enough juice to sustain itself. either that, or a serious issue in the feed back circuit, it has 3 opto-isolators.

So i pulled the datasheet up on the power correction IC, and its an infineon, 1PC08G i think? i forgot, its at the bench. the VCC doesnt even appear at the chip, its at 0V until the power supply tries to kick up. once the power supply "ticks" the meter spikes up then down.

So one can only assume that the power correcter doesnt run until main SMPS is running, because it appears the only time VCC hits the power corrector IC is when the SMPS "ticks" and tries to start. but i honestly dont think the SMPS will run without the corrector running first boosting it up to 300 to 400V

the board is a Quasar Power qp-5315 Rev. 3C.

Any ideas? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-25-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Never heard of Optoma before? It's one of the primary players in the digital PJ market. As for the details you are looking for, pm sheridan1952 and see if he can help you.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-15-2010, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

nevermind, already fixed it. failure was a component on the power supply board. fixing the power supply brought it back to life.

No i have never heard of optoma. just infocus, boxlight, NEC, and all those guys.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-20-2011, 11:39 AM

Hmm did the same with my optoma dv-10. Stripped it down to the power supply and it's remarkable how cheap the power supply is! Under normal usage on a power conditioned line, I can see that 4 of the electrolytic caps on that power supply board are exploded/shot. Not too surprising since the designer of the Quasar qp-5315 Rev 3D decided that they should be 16v rated not 25V and positioned right next to a row of poorly heat sunk power transistors which worked well to boil them up to the breaking point. I'm going to try and replace them with 25V caps , clean the board and see what happens when I put the puzzle box back together.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-10-2012, 05:38 PM

Can you please tell me what part wa bad on that board that caused the ticking sound?
post #6 of 9 Old 01-15-2014, 04:56 PM

Do you remember what component it was that you replaced on the power supply? any details would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

post #7 of 9 Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 PM

post #8 of 9 Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 PM

ooops I posted it to the wrong area and its being blocked for moderation for now...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1219863/need-advice-on-optoma
post #9 of 9 Old 01-15-2014, 09:24 PM

basically these 3 sellers. I am not sure if I trust them, tell me how it goes! smile.gif
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=dv10+power+supply&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20140115201407
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page