Super Bowl Sunday and Winter Olympics - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-24-2010, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So it's down to the wire with Super Bowl Sunday upon us and the Olympics soon thereafter. Over the past few months I've read all the threads and done extensive research. This is my first projector purchase and I'm looking to spend around $1,000, maybe up to $1,500 max. I watch a lot of HD sports and like video games and blu ray as well (ps3, xbox). There is decent light control but not great unless it's evening. I'll be projecting from 14ft and ideally there'd be flexibility regarding lens shifting.

There seem to be several solid options if I go with 720p and now there's even some tempting 1080p's as well. The frustrating thing is that a lot of the 720's have been out for a year or more and prices haven't come down much. I'm looking to get good bang for the buck and am not afraid to buy another projector in a couple/few years when there's a sweet 1080p deal for under $1000.

That all said, I've narrowed my search down to one leading projector: the Panasonic AX200. If any of you could take the time to convince me this is the right or wrong choice, I'd very much appreciate it. Going to pull the trigger by week's end!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-25-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Definition of "decent" light control could be important.

I prefer very dim light when using the projector but even to my old eyes slight increases in ambient light causes visible slight image degradation/washout.

We also have a Panasonic PJ - 720p - and love it. I think paying less for 720p now is a good choice while waiting for the roll out of 3D to become better with regard to projection options - who knows? - 2011 could mean a 3D SuperBowl!! - it is solid that ESPN will be showing 3D in 2011 and the NCAA and NFL are soliding behind the concept. Anyway, some disbelieve but 3D is something to keep in mind over the next year or two.

There are things you can do to minimize the effect of ambient light. Walls and ceilings do not have to be black - our ceiling is an off white but all of our walls and ceiling are NON-REFLECTIVE, flat colored surfaces and our walls are a dark brown panel. Our screen is a Da-lite gray screen which greatly reduces the reflected light back from the screen into the room and viewer eyeballs.

We began watching the "Big Game" on the projection screen but when a lot of friends and/or family are here often we just use the 56in tv instead so the lights can stay up and people can move around, visit and do other stuff.

We're very glad we made the investment into a projector and screen - no TV available today can provide that "at the movies" WOW BUT I personally will be glad when 10 ft wall diagonal tv displays are available at affordable prices and that day can't be too far off. Mits has been selling an 82in HDTV for under $4k since last year and at this months ECS Panasonic was showing off a whopping 150 inch plasma tv (not consumer affordable today but obviously on the way).
GoodLuck
post #3 of 8 Old 01-27-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It's hard to beat the AX200 for all around price/performance/flexibility and ease of installation. That said, I too would be curious to hear what other models people would suggest as an alternative. While the Panasonic might not not be the best in any one category, it is a respectable performer in each. Is there a better all around projector for $1,000?
post #4 of 8 Old 01-28-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
wow, almost 400 views and only 2 replies. at least both are pro Panny AX200. Is there anything else that the OP should be considering at this price point that meets his needs?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-28-2010, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
some good options

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD65-72...4724886&sr=1-3

great deal on this
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-HC3...724886&sr=1-22

free spare lamp with this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824248064

super bright
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824219052

good site with good buys
http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...131&class&3&4&

awesome projector
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...271&CatId=1755

and of course your panny, one of the best rated 720p projectors. rivals some of the lower end 1080p projectors in pic quality....

contact projector people (on the phone.!) and see what they have for demo/open box deals...different every day..
post #6 of 8 Old 01-28-2010, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
In terms of bang for buck and quality, I'll go with a refurb Epson 720, IMHO.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-28-2010, 06:23 PM

although i have a 72p 1080I projector i would recommend nothing but a 1080p projector
post #8 of 8 Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I recommend the Optoma HD66. The Panny 200 is a great projector for sports, but the Optoma will show sports broadcasts in 3D from ESPN within a year. Won't that be cool?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page