3D compatible screens? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-25-2010, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if there are 3D compatible screens available or planned, or will any screen do for 3D? Just want to future proof as much as possible. I noticed that images are much sharper on TV's compared to my projector on a white wall. Will I notice a huge difference with a screen?

Thanks.

Sony KDL60EX645 LED 60" TV, Bell 9242 sat,Onkyo 608 rec, XBOX 360, PS3, Paradigm Monitor 7v.5,ADP-190,CC-290,PW-2200 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
OK, if the projector is using shutter glasses any screen will work, a high gain screen might help offset some of the light loss that 3d causes, so that's something to keep in mind.

If it uses polarizers, then you would need a silver screen, but i doubt this will be a popular choice for manufacturers, but you never know.
After all, a lot of people use projectors to for big audiences, and polarized glasses are as cheap as it gets. (about a dollar a pair for polarized, vs $50+ for shutter glasses)

It's too early to tell, but i wouldn't be too surprised if most manufacturers use shutter glasses and maybe sell polarized filters that you can use as an add on if you want to use a silver screen for polarized.
Basically, any shutter glasses projector could easily have an add on switching filter like this one:
http://www.reald.com/Content/RealD-LP.aspx

That way they could support shutter glasses for people that have either a white screen and / or small audiences. And people that are willing to go the silver screen route for big audiences and cheap glasses.

Anyway, if 3d is something you plan on doing, just keep in mind that whatever technology you pick, you will end up with a lot less light output than 2d, so if anything plan ahead for brightness.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-25-2010, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Based on your comments looks like I am best to wait on a screen until I replace my projector with a bright 3D compatible one in a year or two. Thanx.

Sony KDL60EX645 LED 60" TV, Bell 9242 sat,Onkyo 608 rec, XBOX 360, PS3, Paradigm Monitor 7v.5,ADP-190,CC-290,PW-2200 sub.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-25-2010, 08:00 PM

your standard screen will work. they are going to be using active shutter glasses, right now its xpand and nvidia are the major players for these glasses( cost a lot for them) but in a few months sony, panasonic, and other big brands are coming out with the same glasses which will help drive the prices down.

i am going to be using my old grandview screen i had for 4+ years i think it should be good for 3-d.

just remember it takes more light to get through the glasses, so you might want to find away to completely control the light or watch 3d movies at night
post #5 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajaga007 View Post

your standard screen will work. they are going to be using active shutter glasses, right now its xpand and nvidia are the major players for these glasses( cost a lot for them) but in a few months sony, panasonic, and other big brands are coming out with the same glasses which will help drive the prices down.

i am going to be using my old grandview screen i had for 4+ years i think it should be good for 3-d.

just remember it takes more light to get through the glasses, so you might want to find away to completely control the light or watch 3d movies at night

What are examples of reasonably priced high gain screens? I project a 106" image but may bump it up in size a bit when I get a new projector.

post #6 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noose View Post

What are examples of reasonably priced high gain screens? I project a 106" image but may bump it up in size a bit when I get a new projector.

Da-lite high power model B screens are pretty cheap. (i have a 96" model B HP screen myself)

Right now i even have to use a 4x ND filter to bring it down to acceptable brightness levels, otherwise it's too much for my RS1x. but i'm pretty sure it will be just about right once i get 3d up and running again.
Da-lite also has what i think is a reasonably priced silver screen, the "silver matte".

If you can get a projector with lens shift that does shutter 3d, i think the HP is going to be a pretty safe bet if you can place the projector close to your eyes.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 PM

Why are projector companys not looking at Dolby3d it is my understanding that the glasses are somewhere in between polarized and shutter pricewise and it doesn't require a silver screen... seems like a no brainer.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-28-2010, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggallaway View Post

Why are projector companys not looking at Dolby3d it is my understanding that the glasses are somewhere in between polarized and shutter pricewise and it doesn't require a silver screen... seems like a no brainer.

I don't know if Dolby has the right to use Infitec technology outside of Cinema theaters. (i wish they did)

Because if you buy from infitec themselves, the prices are too high to bear for the avarage consumer. At least for now.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-28-2010, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggallaway View Post

But Dolby3D requires expensive color-correction boxes as it uses a type of color-shift to make the filters work right.

So there's still cost.

also, Real3D supposedly has a screen that's not silver that works pretty good for both 2 and 3D images.

We'll have a lot more info and options on the table later this year. For now, if you're interested in doing 3D in a year or so, don't spend $$$ on a screen for the moment... wait and see what type of 3D projector you end up deciding to get as naturally that will affect the screen choice.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-06-2012, 01:39 PM

Does anyone know if a Da-Lite Audiovision acoustically transparent screen will work with a new Epson ProCinema 6010 projector? If not how about another acousticall transparent screen.

Thanks!smile.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page