Problem powering up Panasonic PT-AE4000U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-28-2010, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched here and on Google and I didn't find anyone reporting this problem with PT-AE4000U. My unit is about 2-months old and was purchased from PP.com. For about a week now, it started to act weird - somewhat similar to AX100U. In case of AX100U, projector would first power up but would shut down after few minutes. It's the iris/lubricant issue with that projector.

When I try to power on AE4000U with remote the green light turns on but the light never comes out of lens. I usually have to use the manual power switch on projector to turn-off and back on to get it to work. But today, I literally had to unplug and replug the power cord to get the projector to power up.

During this problem I noticed the green power light first turns on and stays steady but no light comes from lens. After some time, the green light starts to flash and a red light next to the green one starts to flash and I can hear weird cracking sounds from inside the projector.

Has anyone seen or heard about this problem? I will call PP and check my options. If not, I have to deal with Panasonic and I still haven't shipped them my old AX100U for repair as the WD40 solution is no longer good as I can hear some loose screws rattling inside the projector

I already regret for not going with Epson this time but couldn't resist the lens memory feature for my 2.35 setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kits View Post

I searched here and on Google and I didn't find anyone reporting this problem with PT-AE4000U. My unit is about 2-months old and was purchased from PP.com. For about a week now, it started to act weird - somewhat similar to AX100U. In case of AX100U, projector would first power up but would shut down after few minutes. It's the iris/lubricant issue with that projector.

When I try to power on AE4000U with remote the green light turns on but the light never comes out of lens. I usually have to use the manual power switch on projector to turn-off and back on to get it to work. But today, I literally had to unplug and replug the power cord to get the projector to power up.

During this problem I noticed the green power light first turns on and stays steady but no light comes from lens. After some time, the green light starts to flash and a red light next to the green one starts to flash and I can hear weird cracking sounds from inside the projector.

Has anyone seen or heard about this problem? I will call PP and check my options. If not, I have to deal with Panasonic and I still haven't shipped them my old AX100U for repair as the WD40 solution is no longer good as I can hear some loose screws rattling inside the projector

I already regret for not going with Epson this time but couldn't resist the lens memory feature for my 2.35 setting.

Don't think this is an iris problem. Lamps fails sometimes. You could try to reseat the lamp in its base.
If you can turn your PJ on, can you enter in the service menu (self check) and see if everything is OK? Note if something is in red.
If this comforts you, with the Epson, reading the "Epson 8500UB 200,000:1 CR" thread, you will learn that you could get one with "red wavy lines", a noisier iris, motion stuttering, bad convergence and/or nonuniform focus problems But, Epson has better customer support (they send you a replacement unit before you send yours).
post #3 of 13 Old 03-01-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post

Don't think this is an iris problem. Lamps fails sometimes. You could try to reseat the lamp in its base.
If you can turn your PJ on, can you enter in the service menu (self check) and see if everything is OK? Note if something is in red.

Thanks for the information. I just noticed the flashing red light is LAMP light. I checked through all Menu's and I can't find "Service Menu" or Self-Check Menu. Is there a hidden way to view that menu?

Thanks.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the information. I just noticed the flashing red light is LAMP light. I checked through all Menu's and I can't find "Service Menu" or Self-Check Menu. Is there a hidden way to view that menu?

Thanks.

Yes, there is a hidden menu: the "Ex Option Menu". I have the AE3000, but it seems that the procedure to enter in this service menu is the same:
1. When the projector is power ON, press "POWER" button on the main unit or remote control unit to display "POWER OFF" confirmation screen.
2. Press the right-arrow button to select "CANCEL" in the "POWER OFF" confirmation screen.
3. On the main unit or remote control unit, press the buttons in order of up-arrow, down-arrow, up-arrow, down-arrow and "ENTER".
(When the "ENTER" button is pressed, "EXT OPTION" menu is displayed.)

Unless you know what you're doing, don't change anything in the sub-menus of the Ex Option Menu.

The sub-menus are:

· FAN FULLMODE
Setting the cooling fan motor rotation speed.
Switching ON "FAN FULLMODE", the rotation level of the fan becomes high-speed rotation (fixed). Moreover, when "FAN FULLMODE" is ON, changing "ALTITUDE" in OPTION becomes impossible (setting FAN FULLMODE is given priority more than ALTITUDE).

· AUTO SETUP
Setting AUTO SETUP mode
− NORMAL: To set the normal mode (the dot clock is adjusted strictly)
− SPECIAL: To set the special mode (the dot clock is adjusted roughly)
* Do not change the initial setting (NORMAL).

· SELF CHECK
This mode is used to narrow down the location of the failure

The result of items "IRIS", "FAN", "FAN1", "FAN2", "FAN3", "FAN4", "TEMP", "LAMP" and 2000H, the OK display becomes red characters when shutting down because abnormality happened last time.

· FLICKER ADJUST

To enter the flicker adjustment mode

· 525i SD
When non-standard signal of 525i/625i is inputted (AV amplifier, etc.), synchronization might be disordered according to connected equipment. In this case, set 525i SD to ON.

· OS
When a component signal (except 525i, 625i, 1125/60p and 1125/50p) is inputted, reflection noise (vertical striated beat) might be generated according to connected equipment. In this case, set OS to ON. However, the resolution decreases a little.

· HPLL
When non-standard signal of VIDEO/S-VIDEO is inputted (VTR, VHD, etc.), horizontal synchronization might be disordered according to connected equipment. In this case, set HPLL to OFF.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-03-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post

· SELF CHECK
This mode is used to narrow down the location of the failure

The result of items "IRIS", "FAN", "FAN1", "FAN2", "FAN3", "FAN4", "TEMP", "LAMP" and 2000H, the OK display becomes red characters when shutting down because abnormality happened last time.

I see RED OK for "LAMP". I will try to remove the re-install the LAMP this weekend and see if it solves the issue. Else, I will send it for service. Thanks for the valuable information.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 AM

hi i found same problem on my AE4000U. it is continuesly shut down after a few min turn on. and the self check status is with lamp fan "OK" in red. i reinstall the lamp but it didn't work. Now I have no idea what to do with it. Do you find a solution? or any suggestion?
post #7 of 13 Old 03-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantc View Post

h...the self check status is with lamp fan "OK" in red...

lantc
Lamp fan?
It seems that one fan is malfunctioning. Send the PJ for service.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I see RED OK for "LAMP". I will try to remove the re-install the LAMP this weekend and see if it solves the issue. Else, I will send it for service. Thanks for the valuable information.

Good luck and let us know.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-05-2010, 03:57 PM

I also can see the temp in self check menu. There are two temps for FLTR. one is 139 and the other is 255. Is that normal?
post #10 of 13 Old 03-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantc View Post

I also can see the temp in self check menu. There are two temps for FLTR. one is 139 and the other is 255. Is that normal?

I don't have the AE4000 Service Manual, but I have the AE2000 manual:

TEMP OK:
Temperature Abnormality Check: cause of lamp malfuction

(LEFT) TEMP1 OK:
Thermosensor 1 A/D conversion value (0 -255) (*2): current temperature around the filter outlet
(RIGHT) TEMP1 OK:
Thermosensor 1 A/D conversion value (0 -255) (*2): temperature around the air outlet when the last thermal shutdown occurs.

(LEFT) TEMP2 OK:
Thermosensor 2 A/D conversion value (0 -255) (*2): current temperature around the air inlet.
(RIGHT) TEMP2 OK:
Thermosensor 2 A/D conversion value (0 -255) (*2): temperature around the air inlet when the last thermal shutdown occurs.

(*2) When detected abnormal temperature (high temperature around the air inlet and/or outlet ports), TEMP indicator turned on. If arriving at the critical temperature, the power supply will shutdown automatically and the indicator will flash.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-13-2010, 11:18 AM

Is it possible to disable the "POWER OFF" confirmation screen. My Harmony 1100 remote sends only one "OFF" command to the PJ.

Is it ever really "done"?
post #12 of 13 Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

How do I check total hours used ?

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

How do I check total hours used ?

Go here.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1186232/panasonic-pt-ae4000-msrp-1999/7590#post_21051080

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page