Official Viewsonic Pro8100 1080p Projector Thread - Part 2 - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 146 Old 05-05-2010, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought one from newegg, and mine does not appear to have the HB, build date of jan 10, I am running it on a 350va APC UPS, seems fine on a plain light beige wall at around 100inch diag. Is there a particular Blu ray sceen that would highlight this issue? I'm extreamly impressed, and can't wait to finnish my basement.

On a different note, who is using the 8100 with the 2.35:1 aspect screen instead of a 16:9, Im trying to decide, but I use it primarly for blue ray movies and PS3, we don't have cable and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 146 Old 05-06-2010, 09:13 AM

That's very good news.
You should post your question on the part 1 of this thread at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18593115
post #123 of 146 Old 05-13-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingofarmer View Post

I just bought one from newegg, and mine does not appear to have the HB, build date of jan 10, I am running it on a 350va APC UPS, seems fine on a plain light beige wall at around 100inch diag. Is there a particular Blu ray sceen that would highlight this issue? I'm extreamly impressed, and can't wait to finnish my basement.

On a different note, who is using the 8100 with the 2.35:1 aspect screen instead of a 16:9, Im trying to decide, but I use it primarly for blue ray movies and PS3, we don't have cable and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I've got mine on a 115" Diag. scope screen. I don't use an A-lens, just zoom and shift. Very easy on this projector. I absolutely love watching movies in scope.
post #124 of 146 Old 05-17-2010, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwise7 View Post

I've got mine on a 115" Diag. scope screen. I don't use an A-lens, just zoom and shift. Very easy on this projector. I absolutely love watching movies in scope.

That's great to hear as it's my current plan!
How long would you say it takes you to do that?

How much do you need to shift once zoomed? I kinda thought that wouldn't be necessary.

Go Broncos!
post #125 of 146 Old 06-16-2010, 02:40 PM

Hey, i've been wondering exactly what do you do to go into 2.35? What do you mean zoom and shift?
I'd love to get rid of the bars!

Thank you in advance.
post #126 of 146 Old 06-16-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keopele View Post

Hey Meret,

It seems that the HB is more common on the new build projectors than may have been thought. When I weighed the risks/rewards of going ahead with the purchase of a Pro8100, I considered the chances of getting a projector with HB small. I figured it was just a few people who may be getting unlucky and/or had something going on in their home's wiring that may be causing the HB. Now that I have a unit with HB and almost everyone who has answered the survey and has a new unit, has the HB, it seems much more common than I had thought. I am wondering if the HB issue should be moved to the common problems (on new units) area of the initial description in this post?

Agreed it's become a more frequent problem. I moved the issue into common issues.
post #127 of 146 Old 06-16-2010, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyecube View Post

Hey, i've been wondering exactly what do you do to go into 2.35? What do you mean zoom and shift?
I'd love to get rid of the bars!

Thank you in advance.

You will get more response if you put this in the main Pro8100 thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...35509&page=223

This thread was created by Meret to summarize the info in the main thread so you don't have to read 6600+ posts.

I think you need an anamorphic lens and a sled to answer your question.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #128 of 146 Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 AM

@eyecube, what I meant was that I zoom in until the black bars are off the screen. Since I have a 2:35:1 aspect ratio screen, when I do this with a scope film, the picture fills my screen. When I'm viewing 16:9 or 4:3 material, I have bars on the side. The reason I use lens shift is since my PJ isn't centered on the screen, I have to shift the image up or down to center the image horizontally. Takes less than a minute with the electronic zoom/shift the VS8100 has. This is know as the "poor man's cinema scope method". I don't own/use an a-lens, sled or curved screen.
post #129 of 146 Old 06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I forgot about this method using a 2.35 screen.

post #130 of 146 Old 06-21-2010, 09:02 AM

This is my contribution to the horizontal banding issue that many people has experienced with the ViewSonic pro8100, I have found what the problem is and I have resolved it, for those who recently bought the projector and found this issue, do not return it for a refurbished one, there is a solution and I will explain what it is. I followed this thread and some said is the quality of the hdmi cables, or what could be resolved with an adapter that does not have the grounded pin or may be with the use of an isolator transformer, what, I tried everything and nothing worked. Some people says that since hdmi is digital, then it works or it doesn't, there is nothing between like analog signals that can get improved, well my friends, this is not totally true. Wonder if most people that has experienced the horizontal banding has long hdmi cables as I do, I have a 25 ft long cable which was working fine with a Blu ray player, but when I connected a Nettop PC to the projector I started seeing the horrible horizontal banding, and this happened after I updated the firmware update. Since I knew my hdmi cable was long so I bought one of these HDMI repeater equalizers from Amazon, I connected it to extend the length of the cable, but the horizontal banding issue was there, an annoying big number of red horizontal lines were there, all I had to do to get rid of them was to change the equalizer settings on the hdmi repeater, this small repeater has 7 positions (I think) that you can change according to the length of your cable, seems like the default position for my switch was not good enough, so, by changing to a different position it incredibly helped to make the horizontal banding lines go away. So, that's it, buy an hdmi repeater with equalizer and no more HB. The one I got was the "Bytecc HDMI Repeater 1.3b 1080p cable". One thing I tried was to plug the HDMI cable to the HDMI 2 port on the projector and it helped for a few minutes but after that HB was still there until I toggled the switch on the HDMI repeater, so, good luck, hope that helps for most of you, it worked pretty well for me. (Wonder if other projectors suffer of the same problem since this is an issue with the cable length, may be this VS projector is very sensitive to long length cables)
post #131 of 146 Old 06-21-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelibuyer View Post

This is my contribution to the horizontal banding issue that many people has experienced with the ViewSonic pro8100, I have found what the problem is and I have resolved it, for those who recently bought the projector and found this issue, do not return it for a refurbished one, there is a solution and I will explain what it is. I followed this thread and some said is the quality of the hdmi cables, or what could be resolved with an adapter that does not have the grounded pin or may be with the use of an isolator transformer, what, I tried everything and nothing worked. Some people says that since hdmi is digital, then it works or it doesn't, there is nothing between like analog signals that can get improved, well my friends, this is not totally true. Wonder if most people that has experienced the horizontal banding has long hdmi cables as I do, I have a 25 ft long cable which was working fine with a Blu ray player, but when I connected a Nettop PC to the projector I started seeing the horrible horizontal banding, and this happened after I updated the firmware update. Since I knew my hdmi cable was long so I bought one of these HDMI repeater equalizers from Amazon, I connected it to extend the length of the cable, but the horizontal banding issue was there, an annoying big number of red horizontal lines were there, all I had to do to get rid of them was to change the equalizer settings on the hdmi repeater, this small repeater has 7 positions (I think) that you can change according to the length of your cable, seems like the default position for my switch was not good enough, so, by changing to a different position it incredibly helped to make the horizontal banding lines go away. So, that's it, buy an hdmi repeater with equalizer and no more HB. The one I got was the "Bytecc HDMI Repeater 1.3b 1080p cable". One thing I tried was to plug the HDMI cable to the HDMI 2 port on the projector and it helped for a few minutes but after that HB was still there until I toggled the switch on the HDMI repeater, so, good luck, hope that helps for most of you, it worked pretty well for me. (Wonder if other projectors suffer of the same problem since this is an issue with the cable length, may be this VS projector is very sensitive to long length cables)

The HB issue people are having is actually there without any video cable plugged in. Such as when going to the zooming/lens shift screen you will see it. So the source has no effect and it's within the projector itself. Now if this somehow makes the projector see the signal different and removes the lines, that would be great, but I'm thinking you might have had some other issue because you only had it from one source and you mentioned red lines. With ours the lines have no specific color.

Thanks!

Go Broncos!
post #132 of 146 Old 06-21-2010, 09:53 AM

Awesome! More than one way to GET the imfamous horizontal banding issue, LOL! I actually tried an HDMI equalizer(probably the same one from Amazon), and it didnt do the trick for my last one. Neither did cable swap outs or using a very short HDMI cable(I use a 25 footer, but I swapped in a 3 footer as well in a quick rig fashion with the same results). But hey if the equalizer for you worked, then maybe there are different ways the Amateur8100 can aquire HB/VB etc........lovely product with the scent of LEMON!
post #133 of 146 Old 06-21-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain6943 View Post

Awesome! More than one way to GET the imfamous horizontal banding issue, LOL! I actually tried an HDMI equalizer(probably the same one from Amazon), and it didnt do the trick for my last one. Neither did cable swap outs or using a very short HDMI cable(I use a 25 footer, but I swapped in a 3 footer as well in a quick rig fashion with the same results). But hey if the equalizer for you worked, then maybe there are different ways the Amateur8100 can aquire HB/VB etc........lovely product with the scent of LEMON!

Wow, just wow... do you have an axe to grind or just enjoy being an @#$%$# ?
post #134 of 146 Old 06-21-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McKay View Post

Im just mentioning that there is more than one way to get HB on the unit, it won't work for everyone. Im just adding a bit of humor into it.
post #135 of 146 Old 06-21-2010, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure ur brand of humor is much appreciated here.

post #136 of 146 Old 06-29-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Not sure ur brand of humor is much appreciated here.

There are those that stretch the truth, then there are those that are outright .. you get the picture. The Web provides an area where some can simply say whatever they like, as there is no way to actually disprove anything and they know it. It's sad that these folks lives are so empty.

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #137 of 146 Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McKay View Post

If there is an axe, it has a very dull blade.

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #138 of 146 Old 07-09-2010, 06:59 AM

It took me an hour to find an image of Horizontal Banding on this projector on the original thread. So to help others who are looking for the same, here is an image that was posted by someone else!

Mayank
LL
post #139 of 146 Old 07-11-2010, 10:44 AM

Power Led Status Green - Status Flashing Red
Hi all, the projector has approx 250 hours with filter changed at 200 to the one suggested in the other threads. Now when I turn it on the status comes up green then changes to red flashing - after the picture is on the screen for 15 seconds the red goes away - I looked at the code in the service manual and it says "overcooled" Anyone have any idea what is going on here?
post #140 of 146 Old 07-11-2010, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

You'll get more responses over at the main thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18892775

FWIW my book only lists "green/blinking green" for cooling down and "orange/blinking red" for lamp error. Didn't check the service manual tho.

post #141 of 146 Old 08-01-2010, 05:28 PM

Anyone know if there is a way to help improve the "judder" (during camera pans) that is present in the 8100? It seems that I am very prone to noticing it during BR movies. Also has anybody seen first hand if the frame interpolation on the Panny 4000u actually help to eliminate this problem? I've had my VS now for 3 wks and have it set up pretty well but I just can't seem to get over the blurs that occur on any fast moving scenes. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to send it back and I only have a few days to decide.
post #142 of 146 Old 08-04-2010, 06:00 AM

First of all, thanks to the hundreds of thread posted here that have helped me along the way in setting up my home theater and my Viewsonic pj, which I love, except...

I have not been able to download the firmware update. I have tried on three computers and when I try to unzip the ".brec" file, it says it cannot open due to not recognizing the .brec

Mine was manufactured March 2008 and has the VB right out of the box. It seems to go away after a bit. I've unplugged but I lose my settings. My save is greyed out when I try to save. Someone posted about this but I will have to hunt it down. If anyone has a quick link, let me know.

Thanks for everyone's help.
post #143 of 146 Old 10-01-2010, 07:11 PM

I stated earlyer that I had no HB, I do have VB and the unplug for an hour works, I also noticed that it dissapears after 15min of a movie.
post #144 of 146 Old 10-01-2010, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

The main Pro8100 discussion is over here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19230736

post #145 of 146 Old 11-14-2010, 02:20 PM

Liked: 13
I did a quick google search and the low price one was said to be an "oem-equivalent" ...

Where have people gotten their OEM lamps?

My 8100 seems to be problem free so I'll buy a spare lamp - at which point the projector will probably spontaneously combust...
post #146 of 146 Old 11-14-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Since a true OEM bulb is a $300-$400 item, why not wait 'til you've got at least 1,000 hours on it? You may want to upgrade before you need a new bulb. I think it's good for 4,000-5,000 hours on Eco mode.

For sources, just google the P/N of the bulb. Here's one: http://shopper.cnet.com/projector-ac...-32820197.html

BTW see my post #144 and ask the question over there as a lot more of us watch that thread. This thread was setup to consolidate info.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page