Sharper Image EC-PJ10 Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
When I saw the EC-PJ10 at FYE for $99, I was confused. I had never seen a projector so cheap before, and thought that Sharper Image was out of business. Fast forward a month later, I received the projector for review, and it's not going to be a fun review. For $99, you can't expect much, but you would expect better than this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../original1.jpg

First up, and this is one thing that is bothering me, is that Sharper Image has made two claims about the projector that is flat out, untrue.

First, Sharper Image claims that the projector has a 60 watt lamp. This is not true, in reality, a 50 watt lamp is present in the projector. Not that the difference would be that major, it would help it's rather dark picture. Luckily, the projector uses an MR16 lamp, in which you can pick up a 75 watt lamp that the cooling system should be able to handle, for a couple bucks at Lowes.

The second false claim is the "Built In Stereo Sound!". In fact, this is so false, I have actually contacted Sharper Image for an answer on this, but don't expect one, from the past conversation I had with them. Inside the projector, is one single speaker. Yes, one, mono. Since the projector has a headphone jack, I thought perhaps that was stereo. Nope, not even that! It's the same sound on left and right, dual mono. That is rather disappointing.

A very annoying, but not deafening issue, is the cooling fan. It is quite loud, and I wouldn't recommend a quiet movie, because you won't hear it. But if hearing it is least of your concerns (because hopefully you would plug your DVD player into a stereo system), the picture quality will be a problem.

The lens barrel in the projector is either of very bad quality, or incomplete and not designed correctly. The picture is rather hazy, as if the lens is fogged up, when it's perfectly clean. See pictures below for example:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../original2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../original3.jpg

Being a photographer, I realized that a simple stop down would fix this problem. A piece of paper with a penny sized hole, and the picture is cleared up remarkably. But the fact remains, you should NOT need to do this! This is a clear design flaw with the projector, and only shows that the projector is working as it should, but the lens is just poorly designed. Problem with using a stop down however, is light output is reduced. Luckily in this case, not that much at all, just enough to clear up the picture without large light reduction.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../modified1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../modified2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../modified3.jpg

In terms of resolution, it's conflicting. If you ask Sharper Image, they won't even tell you. Bed, Bath, & Beyond claims 640x480. A few websites claim 640x240. In all honesty, it appears to be QVGA 320x240, but 640x240 may be right. See, if you look at the cleared up screenshot, with the simple stop down converter, you can see that the pixels are "staggered". They aren't straight like a conventional LCD monitor.

Would I recommend this projector to anyone? No, not at all. The lens problem is disappointing enough to want to return it, but the fact that Sharper Image made a couple claims that simply aren't true, is disappointing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Well for $99 if it shines an image that sort of looks like the source.. you got what you paid for! Not sure anything Sharper Image sold was worth buying, I know anything I got there was junk! Nice review shame it was on this toy projector.

Doug
Planar PD8150 paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 9 Old 03-05-2010, 08:32 AM

Liked: 10
MOTHER - OF - GOD ... i didnt realize that anyone could sell something like that with a straight face! No wonder Sharper Image went under!

Now..

For some "Good"

MR16 bulbs are readily available now and you can get some pretty high power, focused LED ones for cheap!

So you can squeeze extreme lamp life out of this turd.

With that stop down, its not too bad a picture for something you can throw in a suitcase..

AND.. For $200, you can stack two of them for Extreme Budget Stereoscopy!

post #4 of 9 Old 03-05-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I got back from Lowes, surprisingly, mine does not sell the 75 watt MR16's, only the 50 watts. Hmm. They had the LED MR16, but only 25 watt equiv. for $26. No thanks..

Surprising that these MR16s here in the Oviedo/Orlando area, are hard to find.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-05-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Well for $99 if it shines an image that sort of looks like the source.. you got what you paid for! Not sure anything Sharper Image sold was worth buying, I know anything I got there was junk! Nice review shame it was on this toy projector.

I didn't have to buy it.

Even for $99, it should be better. A simple lens fix, fixes an entire range of optical problems.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-07-2011, 05:32 PM

Hi, i just bought one of these projectors, and i turned it on and it worked fine for about 20 mins, and then both the image and the fan both abruptly stopped, and now no matter what i do or plug it into, all it does when i turn it on is have the buttons flash repeatedly, but neither the image nor the fan, or sound will work, any suggestions on how to fix this?
post #7 of 9 Old 02-07-2011, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Return it, the projector is no where near as advertised, and according to US laws, it's not a product that should be allowed on the market due to the blatant false advertising.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 PM

wow just wow, really dude you buy a $99 cheap "A" projector and expect it to work like a top of the line epson projector hahaha, lame man that's just freaking rediculous i mean come on for only $99 its a fun little gadget i mean i have one and it serves my purpose of a all around good time im not claiming that it great or anything mediocor at best if that but you get what you pay for or perhaps your to analytical to see any kind of entertainment from this cheap toy any by the way there are tons of items on the market that don't achieve to do what the manufacturer claims it to do
post #9 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch2thanooch View Post

wow just wow, really dude you buy a $99 cheap "A" projector and expect it to work like a top of the line epson projector hahaha, lame man that's just freaking rediculous i mean come on for only $99 its a fun little gadget i mean i have one and it serves my purpose of a all around good time im not claiming that it great or anything mediocor at best if that but you get what you pay for or perhaps your to analytical to see any kind of entertainment from this cheap toy any by the way there are tons of items on the market that don't achieve to do what the manufacturer claims it to do

It was obtained for a review, I never bought it with intentions to actually use.

But still, false advertising is illegal. Along with that, the lens needs an aperture, it doesn't cost much to implement a cheap one that is at least as effective as construction paper.

If you see nothing with $99 giving completely **** quality, then enjoy wasting your money. The point is, for $99 it could have been designed better. Do you work for Sharper Image by any chance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page