Panasonic 711XU - skintone problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-07-2002, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked up a brand new L712E - that's the Aussie model # for the 711XU - - it has exactly the same specs just a different model #...
I have a problem with strange artifacts in light shaded areas like the shadow area of faces - lots of little blotches that look very much like freckles - only they move/disappear as the face turns in to the light! It seems like it might be a problem with the way the L712 interprets or interpolates light shading. The only way to reduce it to an acceptable levelis to set the sharpness to zero - anything from 1 onwards produces this unnaceptable effect.
Have tried all combinations of brightness/contrast/saturation etc - nothinh has helped.
Otherwise the picture quality is excellent - running in low power mode and with settings at close to default...
(no dead/hot pixels!)
Using a Pioneer DVD via s-video. Tried component out and that suffers the same problem.
They say a picture tells a thousand words - i will try and capture a reasonable shot of the problem tonight.
Any help appreciated

TIA
GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-13-2002, 12:21 PM

AngryofMayfair,
I have noticed the same problem with my system using the Cinema 13HD projector. I play DVDs from a home theater pc, and I've noticed on certain scenes where there's shading, I can see pixelization and tell a definite difference between colors in the shaded area.

Have you fixed your problem? If so, how did you do it?

post #3 of 3 Old 05-13-2002, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

No the problem is still there the only way around it is to keep the sharpness on zero which works well except that the picture is perhaps a shade too soft for my liking but that's probably because i am used to watching DVD on a Sony PVM 2950 monitor with very high definition/sharpness.
Over the months I have I learnt to live with it.
Using a (borrowed) HTPC via the vga input seems to help as with that source the shrpness can be adjusted up a notch or two from zero without any bad shading/skintone problems.
My 712E is still in the repair shop for the lamp cutting out after only 200 hrs use. Hope to be picking it up this week sometime.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page