Disassembling the HD65, a pictorial guide. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i picked up another HD65 off craigslist for $200, i was told it did not work for unknown reasons. i figured it could be two things, either the bulb was gone(in which case it was worth it, just get a new bulb) of the lamp driver was dead(in which case at least i would get a spare bulb out of the deal. upon checking the bulb i found that not only was it dead, it had exploded.....glass fragments rattled inside. i took the bulb out of my working HD65 to test it, it came on but i got a "fan locked, will shut down automatically" error.

so, since this was a gamble and i had no warranty to speak of, i decided to tear into it. and although these pictured detail me getting to the heart of a specific fan problem, i thought they might prove useful to others who decide they want to try and fix their HD65 themselves.

*Warning: taking apart an HD65 will undoubtedly void any warranty you may have. if you have a warranty still, let the service depot take care of it.

Step1: remove the lamp and lamp cover. there are 4 screws along the font bottom of the pj, remove these. there are also 3 small screws on the back side of the projector that need to be removed, two are circled below, the other is on the opposite side. use a small screwdriver to pry out a snap in cover for the zoom wheel.

Step2: slide the top cover gently towards the front of the pj and slowly pull the cover off. there are 3 cables that need to be disconnected, they are circled below. i recommend labeling the two near the front as they look the same and use the same connector. remove the cover.

Step3: remove all the screws circled below and remove the covers over the bulb housing and dlp chip. disconnect the cable circled yellow, then remove the two standoffs on the VGA connector on the back panel(forgot about these, they are out of the picture) remove the bracket and connector cover along the back side and gently remove the metal cover over the circuit board. you will have to be careful here as it is clipped in along the sides and needs to slide back to clear the rear connectors.

Step4: disconnect the cables circled red. the two near the front of the pj are for the color wheel, the green and blue ones are for the two fans(yes there are two fans inside the HD65). now you will have to remove the circuit board. first, gently slide the board backwards, this will disconnect the board from the socket circled orange(this connects to the DLP chip). then slowly lift up on the board, there is one more cable underneath it(under the area circled yellow) that connects to the power supply below it, disconnect this then remove the board.
*note: there is no cable connected to the furthermost right connector on the board, remember this when you are scratching your head trying to find it later on......don't worry about it.

Step5: remove the 5 metal standoffs circled below and then remove the large metal bracket they were holding.

Step6: now we remove the optical assemply, this is one unit that consists on the DLP chip, the light chamber, the lense and the color wheel. remove the 4 screws circled below and gently remove this assembly and set it aside somewhere safe. it should be noted that if you so desire you can clean the color wheel at this point, in my case it wasn't needed but i have seen on other pjs that the color wheel can get significantly clouded. the color wheel is circled in the 2nd picture below.
*Warning: the color wheel is VERY fragile, take extra caution when dealing with it. if you do decide to clean it, use q-tips with very gentle(almost no) pressure.

Step7: remove the two screws circled below and remove the metal bulb cage, this will allow you to remove the main fan and the small blower fan to clean them. in the second pic below you will see the small blower fan, the chucks of glass beside it were inside the fan which seized it up.....this was the cause of my shutdown error.

this is far as i took it, assembly is as always reverse of the above. i am not sure how well the HD65 light chamber is sealed, but i have not experienced any dust blobs so did not attempt taking it apart. i will give you one last shot that shows the remaining components that i did not remove. circled in orange is where the small hidden blower fan sat. circled red is the main power supply, and circled orange is the lamp driver unit.

i hope this will be of help to someone in the future. oh, and as a side note, if you are looking for a cheap place to buy a replacement bulb for the HD65, check out provantage: http://www.provantage.com/optoma-bl-fs180c~7OPTO0CP.htm . $163 for a genuine optoma lamp(i actually just received it as i was typing this guide), the service i got was fantastic and shipping was very fast.......highly recommended.
Ben Spatafora likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by biztyke View Post

i hope this will be of help to someone in the future. oh, and as a side note, if you are looking for a cheap place to buy a replacement bulb for the HD65, check out provantage: http://www.provantage.com/optoma-bl-fs180c~7OPTO0CP.htm . $163 for a genuine optoma lamp(i actually just received it as i was typing this guide), the service i got was fantastic and shipping was very fast.......highly recommended.

I tried to order from them 2 months ago, and my order went from 'in stock' to out of stock over the course of the day after I ordered. They had 3, supposedly when I ordered, but by the next morning they told me they were all out, and I needed to wait about 3 weeks for shipment.

I waited, since my HD65 was new, and the ship date came and went. 3 weeks + 1 week and my status was still pending because of no bulbs in stock, so I cancelled. This appears to be a common online complaint with provantage.

How long did you have to wait for your order?
post #3 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely8 View Post

How long did you have to wait for your order?

i made the order on april 2nd, at this time i was told they had to ship it from a regional warehouse to their main warehouse, and then it would be shipped to me. i received an invoice and shipping notice on april 8th, and i received the package today(april 12th). i am also located in canada, so considering it went through customs i am really impressed with the shipping time.

sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.
post #4 of 15 Old 03-12-2011, 08:41 AM

I registered here just to say thankyou for posting this illustrated guide!

I have an Optoma HD700X (pretty much identical to the HD65) which has just started flickering the screen green constantly. I thought that was it, that I'd have to junk it and buy a new one as it's out of warranty; until I read on the net about dust getting inside and causing the colour wheel to flicker.

Anyway, I couldn't work out how to get it open, but followed your guide and in fact only needed to do steps 1 and 2 ... once I had the top cover off I sprayed the color wheel with compressed air, put it back together and now works perfectly again.

You saved me $400 on a new projector, thanks for taking the time to post this!
post #5 of 15 Old 03-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you for taking out time to share this with pictures

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
post #6 of 15 Old 08-12-2011, 06:10 AM

Thanks alot! Help me with my HD65. Had exact the same problem as you with the crashed bulb...
But i still got one question. In step 2, there are 3 cables to remove? What are these for?
The one on the left is for the IR i think. The middle (almost the same as the IR cable) is for what? I accidentally cut off that one =( Do you think i need it?
post #7 of 15 Old 08-12-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knegusen View Post

Thanks alot! Help me with my HD65. Had exact the same problem as you with the crashed bulb...
But i still got one question. In step 2, there are 3 cables to remove? What are these for?
The one on the left is for the IR i think. The middle (almost the same as the IR cable) is for what? I accidentally cut off that one =( Do you think i need it?

That cable you speak of, is it flat? i.e. a ribbon cable, if so, you need that cable as it connects the buttons on the top of the white panel to the main board, just look where the wire goes lol, its not mandatory though as you have a remote, but I would see about getting it fixed. Just make sure u don't break them other two wires that connect the IR receivers to the main board, other wise you'll be up sh*t creek without a paddle as you wont be able to use your remote.

Hope This Helps,
Best Regards, Anton2k.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-13-2011, 02:17 AM

No, it's one of the other cables. When i look at the manual i can see that one of them is going to an IR reciever (little back thing on the front) and the other, the one that I cut off, is going to the long black thing on the top which i think is IR also. But why is there two IR recievers in that case? And the manual doesn't say anything about the long black part...
post #9 of 15 Old 08-25-2011, 08:27 AM

Very nice disassembly!
Could you tell me what type of fans are there? I find my HD66 so noisy that I would be ready to open it and change the fan for something quieter...
post #10 of 15 Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 PM

There are two ir receivers for front and back remote use. Thanks for the pics! unclogged the hidden fan and now I'm back in business!
post #11 of 15 Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM

Thanks man. Had the exact same problem with my HD65 after switching lamps. Found your guide and when i first tried it ended up giving me the same "Fan is locked" message. Tried it again and now it runs! However my fan is really loud. Keeps making a distinct buzzing noise. What is that? How do you get rid of it?
post #12 of 15 Old 04-04-2013, 12:39 PM

my hd65 projector is flickering and going black and white but it is also turning itself off and a red light where the bulb picture is is coming on, do you have any idea what could be wrong
post #13 of 15 Old 04-04-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Does the image come up in color and THEN go Black & White, or is it Black & White ALL the time? If the first case, then you have an image processor problem and there's nothing you can do for it except send it in for repair. And that is very expensive and not worth it. If the second case, the color wheel has failed, that's still a repair but nowhere near as expensive as the first.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-29-2013, 09:03 AM

THANK YOU - after bulb blew up, replaced and then pj would shut off immediately after starting. Followed your tear down guide, cleaned glass out of smaller fan, had to bang fan gently on table quite a few times and was surprised to see pieces of glass come out that were not visible, re-assembled and now running perfect. Took the opportunity to clean out all the dust, solving a small wavering rainbow in my picture, likely a dust bunny in the light path. Also used a gentle stream of canned air to clean the color wheel, but was VERY careful to never hit it directly with the full blast.

One thing that worked well for me was making a diagram of the pj guts before disassembly, then punched very small holes in the diagram and put each screw in its spot on the diagram, made it a breeze to put the right screws back in the right place. Also, as stated, label cables and empty connector slots which I also marked on my diagram.

Note that the ribbon cable from the controls on the top of the inside of the case to the motherboard has a black strip of plastic which is a locking lever, you lift it gently with your finger nail to release, then pull cable out gently. When done, re-insert and push black lever down to lock. Pay attention to the orientation of the ribbon cables, the contact surfaces face down when re-inserting. (the other cable from the color wheel does not appear to have a lever, just pressure fit I think)

FYI folks got bulb on that big online bookstore named after a river, picked the option where they were the supplier, paid about 50% more but it was in original Optoma packaging - Optoma BL-FS180C, SHP, 180W Projector Lamp , comes with housing which was a perfect fit.
post #15 of 15 Unread Today, 02:18 PM

Liked: 0
Need help HD65

Hey, I don't know if someone will see this post but I am in trouble.
I have an optoma HD 65 last week colors decided to hav problems, I mean saturation... so color wheel. I cleaned eat with air, then I re assemblied everythin and red led lamp... I though I broke my lamp during the movement so I bought a new one, that worked one time since, it s the same, I start it I have fans sound but lamp doesnt start and finally red led lamp...
I don't know why and mainly I don't know how to solve the problem I don't have enough money to send it so I want to fix it by myself but I am not an expert. this post was very usefull for the first part, now if anybody know how to solve my problem it will be very very nice before christmas.
Thank's.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP