New 2010 Projectors or??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-27-2010, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So here's the dilemma. Its MAY already and that means summer. Summer for me equals less time watching movies and more, well.......... you know, outdoor stuff. Anyways, got my home theater built, wired, and surround sound, but should i wait for the new line of projectors. I'm speaking specifically of the successors to Panasonic AE4000u, Mits 3800, Epson 8100 and 8500ub ect ect. If I buy an AE4000u now, and then in October the AE5000 drops at $1800 with 500,000:1 and 3d, im going to kick myself. All opinions welcome. Anyone know when the new projectors are going to be coming out anyways????

Honey, if i didn't love you why would I be putting a home theater in our house??

Yes, I actually said this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-28-2010, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

IMO - within a year or so NO ONE will be making any displays that are not 3D ready - I'd wait until you can find the right 3D PJ at the price you can afford.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
3D is going to need brightness to succeed. One of the pitfalls of a fp unless you have a hp screen. I believe you will need a special screen to go along with you 3D setup which I hope and don't think most fp manufactures will not fall for the 3D trap. I hope they will concentrate on other areas such as 1080P LED at a affordable price.

To the OP. All of those fp you mentioned are great as I have the Epson 8100 and matched it with a hp screen and love it!! My own 106" plasma.

If you want to wait though, new fp will be out fall/winter. It will be interesting what direction they do wish to go.
post #4 of 17 Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I am going to get a new 58"+ plasma w/ 3D support (regardless if I ever even use it) and sticking to 2D on my projectors.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-01-2010, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay View Post

IMO - within a year or so NO ONE will be making any displays that are not 3D ready - I'd wait until you can find the right 3D PJ at the price you can afford.

I think it'll be a couple more years untill we see a 3D projector in this price range (at least one that's done right). There are a lot of things that need to be done before it will come.

For one, as Tiger has mentioned, Lumens. There is talk in the higher end forums that even the big guns won't have enough power to light up a big screen. Though ironically, there is also talk that a smaller viewing angle (meaning a smaller screen) is needed to maximize the 3D effect.

Another one that has also been mentioned is the screen. That'll mean most will have to spring for a new one on top of all the other hardware rquired. And in this ecenomy, I don't see that happening.

Lastly, there is the consideration of processing power required for 3D. While 120Hz is just now becoming standard for motion interpolation and all, it's believed that you need 144Hz (72Hz for each eye) for 3D to be done correctly. Look at the issues Panny had w/ 48Hz on it's plasmas. So 120Hz (60Hz for each eye) might do for standard images in 3D, you'll still need to double that to compare to a non 3D projector. So 240Hz will be required to deal w/ all the issues.

Those are just the main issues. Of course there are others.

Remember the hiearchy. FPJ's is generally a small market share compared to Cinemas and FP's. You'll generally see stuff in the theaters first or depending on the technology, FP's. Then it'll make it's way to the higher end FPJ's and on down the ladder until the R&D has been payed for and it becomes cost effective to put it in a sub 3K machine.

But that's just my 2 cents.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
If you aren't going to watch movies in the summer much then I would wait. News typically starts trickling in around CEDIA in September. And most likely prices on current projectors will drop and hopefully you'll get enough info around then to see if it's worth waiting a couple of months on the new models.

Like others said, I think 3D will have brightness limitations (not to mention content being available). So for me I'm waiting on improvements in 3D first.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-01-2010, 12:40 PM

How much 3D content would even be available in the next couple years? I'm not in a big hurry to front run 3D just yet.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-01-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

I really could care less about 3d, avatar was cool, but the 3d's intensity seems to wear off after awhile. Plus the glasses are a PITA, especially the cost of them. When speaking of 2010 PJ's, will there be such a great jump in contrast and performance over say.....the ae4000u? I see sanyo announced a new model with a msrp or 2500$, but what will the real price be?? I'm thinking next years upgrade to the epson 8100 will have CFI, inorganic panels, and a contrast the rivals the ae 4000u......it'll probably be cheaper too. Any thoughts please post.

Honey, if i didn't love you why would I be putting a home theater in our house??

post #9 of 17 Old 06-16-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I hope there will be an affordable LED projector hit the market this fall for under $2500.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-16-2010, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'd say buy... I am just going to add 3D via a 720p DLP projector and leave my 1080p 2D setup in place. Fairly minimal costs on that addition as long as you got some decent PC hardware laying around.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-16-2010, 11:51 PM

I'm sure I'm in the minority, when I say I don't think 3D is gonna stick, at least in it's current (glasses) configuration.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up getting a 4000u, it arrived last Thursday. All I can say is holy s**t! This thing looks so awesome, I don't regret the decision for a second, already have 30 hours on it and I'm still taken back every time I turn it on.. If anyone is on the fence just buy this thing!

post #13 of 17 Old 06-17-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuccia View Post

I ended up getting a 4000u, it arrived last Thursday. All I can say is holy s**t! This thing looks so awesome, I don't regret the decision for a second, already have 30 hours on it and I'm still taken back every time I turn it on.. If anyone is on the fence just buy this thing!

You won't be so excited when it starts to flicker. I hope you bought the Mack bulb warranty.

post #14 of 17 Old 06-17-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

You won't be so excited when it starts to flicker. I hope you bought the Mack bulb warranty.

I think it is amusing that your signature is "all generalizations are false" yet you make a generalization about the panny 4k........
post #15 of 17 Old 06-17-2010, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

Wow! Thanks captain positive! You may have had problems with your panny, or you read the "please help posts" too much, but there are tons of members here, and members of NE Ohio avs club that have the 4000 with bulbs 1000 hrs+ without issue. Just enjoy the picture of your Pj and I'll do the same..

post #16 of 17 Old 06-17-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggallaway View Post

I think it is amusing that your signature is "all generalizations are false" yet you make a generalization about the panny 4k........

It's called a paradox. The phrase, "All generalizations are false" means that that statement is in and of itself false. Get it? It's a joke.

Anyway, I hope that you don't have any issues with your projector, but I have a feeling that you will experience the flicker at some point. Panny won't admit that there is a problem. Their solution is, "it needs a new bulb." Well, I just put my 3rd bulb in in less than 2 years and now the new bulb is starting to flicker. But like I said, I hope you don't have this happen to you but I certainly wouldn't go recommending Panny to anyone.

post #17 of 17 Old 06-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

I think it'll be a couple more years untill we see a 3D projector in this price range (at least one that's done right). There are a lot of things that need to be done before it will come.

I disagree. Specially for projectors that aren't "ultra high contrast"

Take the Mits. 3800, it has around 800 calibrated lumen. This is more than enough for a very decent sized screen in 3d.
DLP projectors will probably have no problem delivering a good 3d experience for around $1,500.

Basically, just take the mits 3800 and add 120hz support and you got yourself a pretty damn good entry level 3d projector.

I don't think this is that big of an engineering challenge as people make it out to be, specially for projectors that don't have amazing contrast ratio to begin with like single chip DLP's.

It may prove to be a bit more of an engeneering challenge for projectors that do 50,000:1 CR's like the JVC's (gonna be hard to get bright images and keep those CR's that high)

And hey, at least you won't need a gray screen to get improved black levels when it comes to 3d content :P
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page