Infocus 7200 replacement, Mits 3800? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-12-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had multiple power outages at the house and the Infocus 7200 no longer works. The power light will not even come on. So I guess it's time to upgrade. I wish I could find a cheap Infocus7210 to tide me over until LED DLP 3D projectors are at a decent price.

I've been pondering the Infocus 8602, Runco LS5 (Planar 8150), Optima 8600 and it's cheaper clone Vivitek H5082. These are all 4K+. None of these are LED or 3D. Why spend 4-5K now when in a year, LED/DLP/3D's will be out?

The Mits 3800 is 1,250 with a free bulb from Amazon. I would think this is better then my 720p Infocus 7200 that's power supply is now shot. Would this be an upgrade over the 7200, I know the 3800 is 1080p vs the 7200's 720p. How does the brightness and sharpness compare to the 7200. Is there any other DLP that I should look at in this price range. It would be stupid to spend 400 bucks to fix this projector when I could upgrade to a decent 1080p for 850 bucks more. Thanks for your input.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-13-2010, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently replaced my 7205 with an Optoma HD20 rather than get a new bulb. Very happy with the decision. Throw angle is the same, which was important with my ceiling height and the vertical placement of my screen. It is more limited in the throw range though, so I had to move my projector mount forward about 18"

On low lamp mode it's brighter than the 7205, and much quieter as the color wheel on the 7205 was quite loud and the fan would also cycle up. I effectively don't hear the HD20.

I'm projecting on a firehawk. I find the black levels comparable to the 7205, so while I realize that today you can get better black levels, the firehawk compensates for the black levels and other than that the HD20 produces a beautiful image. Especially for the price.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-13-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Ken,

The 3800 would be a significant upgrade to the 7200 in just about all areas.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-14-2010, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I am not sure what a cheap 7210 is worth. Mine just lost it's M1-DA DVI/HDMI (digital) capability for some reason however all other inputs work, but I can't use them as I only have an HDMI cable ran to the PJ and my HTPC is DVI/HDMI. Have not yet decided what to do with it. It is a difficult time to have this go out on me as it seems PJs are in another transition period. Like the OP, I dabbled with the idea of getting a 3800 to hold me over but I really cannot stomach the number of issues people are having with it and need to send it back multiple times in the hopes to find one that will not fail or be problematic. Without any of these issues, it would be a no brainer for me at this point.

Anyway, if anyone wants to take the 7210 off my hands, then I'm sure I'll have to decide on something else. I'm not sure who has had any success with Projector Doctor, but up until now no response to my repair submission or inquiries.

For the OP, I'm also looking at getting the W6000 or the LG CF181D, but again, difficult to know if it will be a regret if something better/newer starts to become available. I guess it will always be that way, but man, didn't expect this PJ to fail like this at 500 hours.

===================================

|
|
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page