Epson HC 8100 lamp hours/ lamp problems - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 186 Old 07-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very disappointed to see red blur show up after 7 months of use. My last projector (Sony) lasted 3 years with no issues, and this one starting to show problems under a year.

Trying to determine next steps. Can't decide if I want to wrestle with returning it, etc if the fact is just that the unit is stinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 186 Old 07-11-2010, 11:01 AM

I got my projector about 3.5 months ago and have 355 hours on it. The other night my wife and I were watching a movie and the image was horribly dim in Theater Black 1, I switched to Dynamic mode and the image was still much dimmer than it typically is in Theater Black 1. We finished the movie, and then the next night, I turned the projector on and after about 60 seconds of the power light fading in and out, the lamp indicator started flashing red.

I called Epson and they are sending me a new lamp. They said if this lamp fails too, they'll send a new projector.

It's too bad that these problems seem to be common on this projector, but I'm very happy that Epson is so willing to help resolve the issue.

-haZZard
post #33 of 186 Old 07-14-2010, 09:02 AM

My replacement lamp was delivered yesterday. I installed it and the projector fired right up. I forgot how bright a new lamp is

Hopefully this lamp will last much longer.

-haZZard
post #34 of 186 Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by haZZardUNL View Post

My replacement lamp was delivered yesterday. I installed it and the projector fired right up. I forgot how bright a new lamp is

-haZZard

That was fast Hope it lasts longer too.
post #35 of 186 Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 AM

Just got my 8100 yesterday. Thankfully all is well and after four hours, to no surprise, things are going great. Image quality was decent right out of the box but a little tweaking has made some nice improvements.

One thing about this unit that i just had no idea about. This is the fourth projector I have owned. I had the NEC LT240K, Screenplay 4800, MovieMate 60 and the Epson EX71. I thought myself as someone who is projector savvy, but when I saw the size of this unit, I thought there must be a mistake. My God this thing is huge! Are all "dedicated" HT projectors this big? The closet in size is the Moviemate 60 which I bought for the kids playroom and even that doesn't compare. I guess my experience with crossover type projectors didn't prepare me for how big some of these units really are.

Anyway, I hopefully will only post how great this unit is but should a lamp issue evolve, I will let it be known just for some FYI. To anyone on the fence about buying one, the experinece from other users on this post is much more valuable than mine given my length of ownership but the one thing I can emphasize is that this PJ is far from petite. Something you should consider if you haven't already.
post #36 of 186 Old 07-14-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

That was fast Hope it lasts longer too.

Yeah it was! I called Epson on Friday morning, and received the replacement on Tuesday. The Epson representative even told me 5-7 business days.

JGDragov: I was also shocked by the size of this projector, however since this is my first one, I didn't have anything to compare to.

-haZZard
post #37 of 186 Old 07-14-2010, 02:56 PM

Bought mine in Jan 2010, had 1660 hours on the lamp. Wife turned it on and she said it ran for about 5 min then the lamp exploded. She said it sounded like a gunshot. (I was out of the room, so I missed it).

Pulled the lamp out and could see a ton of glass inside the lamp moving around.

I had bought a spare to have around in case of an emergency, so I replaced it and it's now fine. Wasn't going to call Epson, but now that I read this thread, I just may call to get a replacement bulb anyways, seeing that it should have lasted at least another 400h-2400h. They do say 4000h.

I know I run it for long periods, averaging around 7.5 hours a day if you devide it evenly, but I thought I'd get more than 1660h out of a bulb.
post #38 of 186 Old 07-14-2010, 03:08 PM

The projector hasnt flickered since my last update 6 days ago and has got brighter!
Strange behaviour.
When I got this new bulb, I put brightness at -3. By 800hrs it had to put at +6.
Now its reduced to +4 @ 1000hrs.

My previous bulb went through a 2 week period without flickering (after it started) and there was also a period when it got brighter too.

I dont know if the problem has gone away or if this is part of the expected process.
fyi - but sorry if it adds to the confusion.

edit: 21 July
The flickering has returned.
It now does much longer light changes but the light change is much greater too.
When it goes low brightness, it looks dull. At full brightness it is really good.
Each brightness change can be 1/2hr or more or a few minutes, it varies...
post #39 of 186 Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haZZardUNL View Post

-haZZard

Hi, with the replacement lamp/globe, was it made in Japan or China?
I know the original one was made in China but just want to know if the replacement lamps/globes are the same quality made in the same place as the original.
Thanks mate
post #40 of 186 Old 07-15-2010, 01:02 AM

Hi,

For the folks who have had blown lamps, could you also post average usage patterns too?
I have a Panny PT-AE900U and am seriously debating upgrading now w/ all the cashbacks coming back. I'm considering this and the Mitsu 3800, but the placement flexibility of Epson is probably the winner for me. TIA
post #41 of 186 Old 07-15-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuletak View Post

Hi,

For the folks who have had blown lamps, could you also post average usage patterns too?
I have a Panny PT-AE900U and am seriously debating upgrading now w/ all the cashbacks coming back. I'm considering this and the Mitsu 3800, but the placement flexibility of Epson is probably the winner for me. TIA

If your looking at the 8100 vs the 3800 I remember reading a vs topic about them

8100 vs 3800

and sharpness 8100 vs 3800

I've been debating on getting a 3800 or 8100 and waiting for led, or spending more on a HC6800 or something.
post #42 of 186 Old 07-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpower450 View Post

Hi, with the replacement lamp/globe, was it made in Japan or China?

My replacement bulb was made in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuletak View Post

My typical usage is to turn the projector on in the evening and leave it on for 3-5 hours. I rarely turn on the projector unless I plan on leaving it on for at least an hour. On the weekends I have on several occasions had the projector on for 12+ hours straight.

-haZZard
post #43 of 186 Old 07-26-2010, 02:41 PM

Bought the projector in late Jan, in April the projector stopped working with the temperature light blinking. The tech figured it was a bad temp sensor, so they sent me a new projector.
- First problem 350 hours

Friday night, watching TV, and we hear this loud POP. Bulb shot, so Epson is sending us a new bulb.
- Second Problem 400 hours

I am glad we went with Epson. Their support has been friendly and it appears they are standing behind their product. Having said that, with 2 mishaps, I am hoping we are the anomaly and this time we will go for 3000+ hours of happiness and TV bliss.

BTW, we use our projector for 5ish hours a day. This summer with kids on break it could go for more hours if they fire up the game systems.
post #44 of 186 Old 07-28-2010, 09:21 PM

I really had no idea this was an issue. I bought the epson 8100 in January and basically stopped coming to this forum since my research was done with. Anyhow, after 6 months of moderate use the lamp has officially crapped out. The image started getting really dim about 3 days ago and today it gave no picture at all when I turned it on. Then I saw the blinking red light up top. I will be calling Epson tomorrow. My question is will they send a replacement free of charge? I know that the bulb warranty is only for 90 days but this seems to be a common problem with this model so I was just wondering if Epson will stand by their product. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #45 of 186 Old 07-29-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryfranky View Post

I really had no idea this was an issue. I bought the epson 8100 in January and basically stopped coming to this forum since my research was done with. Anyhow, after 6 months of moderate use the lamp has officially crapped out. The image started getting really dim about 3 days ago and today it gave no picture at all when I turned it on. Then I saw the blinking red light up top. I will be calling Epson tomorrow. My question is will they send a replacement free of charge? I know that the bulb warranty is only for 90 days but this seems to be a common problem with this model so I was just wondering if Epson will stand by their product. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

From all the issue related to the bulb that I have read, epson changed the bulb even after the 90days period.. even someone with more than 800 hours.. so just explain that you have read that this is a common issue and you start wondering if it's a lack of quality control bla bla bla and they will (i'm sure at 99%) that they will change your bulb.

Let us know your final experience. I can be wrong but I would be really surprise if they don't change it !.
post #46 of 186 Old 07-29-2010, 03:25 PM

I called this morning to see if Epson would send me a replacement bulb. Since I didn't hear it actually break before the picture went out they asked me to just pull out the bulb then reinsert it. Surprisingly enough, that worked. But they did say that if the problem persisted then the will replace the unit. That was definitely good to hear.
Also it did seem like they were more than willing to send a replacement bulb if that had been the problem. So yea, seems like it is a common problem with this model. I'm waiting to go home and test it tonight to make sure everything is back to normal. All I know right now is that it's giving a picture.
post #47 of 186 Old 07-30-2010, 07:02 AM

aaaand it's dead again. I just called Epson and they're sending me a replacement bulb, free of charge of course.
post #48 of 186 Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM

Bulb died at 706 hours. Using slightly under 100 hours per mo. Usually 3 to 6 hours at a time. Almost always use for several hours or more.

Epson replaced the bulb free of charge, no hassle.

Actually, they were so easy to deal with I was surprised. They just wanted to make sure bulb was dead - I said that was a no -brainer since tiny pieces came out with the housing - I knew it was dead before I looked. I also told them it went "pop" before it died.

They did say it was a one time courtesy bulb replacement.

Can't swear to it, but I think they didn't ask for date of purchase, etc.

they did ask for serial number, place of purchase, my address and said they were sending a new bulb out.

I'm trying to remember a service department being this easy going and helpful - and I can't remember. Hey, I'll buy epson again.
post #49 of 186 Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triodeuser View Post

Bulb died at 706 hours. Using slightly under 100 hours per mo. Usually 3 to 6 hours at a time. Almost always use for several hours or more.

Epson replaced the bulb free of charge, no hassle.

Actually, they were so easy to deal with I was surprised. They just wanted to make sure bulb was dead - I said that was a no -brainer since tiny pieces came out with the housing - I knew it was dead before I looked. I also told them it went "pop" before it died.

They did say it was a one time courtesy bulb replacement.

Can't swear to it, but I think they didn't ask for date of purchase, etc.

they did ask for serial number, place of purchase, my address and said they were sending a new bulb out.

I'm trying to remember a service department being this easy going and helpful - and I can't remember. Hey, I'll buy epson again.

Ok only 1 courtesy bulb replacement? I'm starting to get really nervous now. I was really looking forward to purchasing this projector but if the bulbs are prone to constant failures every few months and they'll only give you 1 replacement that is crazy. That's 300 bucks you'd have to pay every 6 months or so.
post #50 of 186 Old 08-05-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardknock View Post

Ok only 1 courtesy bulb replacement? I'm starting to get really nervous now. I was really looking forward to purchasing this projector but if the bulbs are prone to constant failures every few months and they'll only give you 1 replacement that is crazy. That's 300 bucks you'd have to pay every 6 months or so.

Yeah give this thread another 6 to 9 months when everyone's replacements fail and then you won't see such high praises for the company or their customer service. That's my prediction anyways.

I'm waiting to see what new projectors come out by November.
post #51 of 186 Old 08-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnqst View Post

There is lots of information on the lamp going bad in the first few months; thought it would be beneficial for everyone; especially those wanting to purchase it but are apprehensive about the lamp going bad.

If you own the Epson HC 8100; please respond with one of the following:

1) Lamp gone bad within 90 days - specify hours on lamp (at the time it went bad) and it Epson replaced it; add any relevant comments
2) Lamp gone bad after 90 days - specify hours on on lamp (at the time); how replacement was obtained
3) No lamp issues - specify month/ year of purchase and current hours on the lamp

Thanks, folks!

purchased from Dell on 08/02/2010, received 08/06/2010, setup on 08/07/2010; watched a 2 movies total about 3 hours and bulb blew...it was kind of funny unitil we found out what actually happened, there was a gun fight scene and when they fired their guns there was a bright flash, sparks and nothing. At first we thought the DVD stopped, then I found out the brand new 1669.99 projector actually blew its bulb. then I found all the bad reviews and to make matters worse Dell no longer had any in stock, and I just bought it. Now my question is, what projector do I buy? I don't trust this one, especially since it was replacing a very lower end sharp x10 that has 869 hours with no issues what so ever. I want a HD projector with all the ports and specs this one had...the picture was awsome, but I can't afford to be replacing a bulb every 6 months much less every year.
Any advise or recommendations?
post #52 of 186 Old 08-08-2010, 06:24 PM

Bought mine around Xmas, around 500H on the bulb and so far so good, haven't noticed getting any dimmer.. I did however notice the Iris system seems to be getting louder, it can get loud when switching from bright to dark scene. wondering if i should call Epson and see if worth getting another one. Been great unit so far.
post #53 of 186 Old 08-08-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ7 View Post

Yeah give this thread another 6 to 9 months when everyone's replacements fail and then you won't see such high praises for the company or their customer service. That's my prediction anyways.

I'm waiting to see what new projectors come out by November.

hum, light bulbs have funny warranties, for Epson to send one out without even asking for old one i would say excellent customer support, even if it's one time deal. Also, the way they handle warranties i would say is one of the better in the business. 2-3 working days and you have a working projector-- hard to top that.
post #54 of 186 Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 PM

Liked: 12
Lamp is almost gone at about 1500 hours, mostly used at normal power in the Natural mode. Never used the higher power Living Room or Dynamic modes Seems as if the Epson lamps are going to not meet their 3000 - 4000 hr claim. My first BenQ 5000 lamp lasted until 3000 hours before serious dimming. This will not make end users or Epson happy if indeed the actual life is half of what was promised.
post #55 of 186 Old 08-23-2010, 01:26 PM

I purchased my 8100 back in Jan 2010 after tons of research. I previously owned the panasonic AE-700 for 5 years and replaced lamp twice, so i wanted one with a longer lamp life and lower cost lamp as well.

Anyway, after 4 months and around 600 hours my bulb went out. I contacted Customer Support and they actually extended my warranty and sent out a replacement bulb. Great news.

Well its been an another 4 months (aprox) and by bulb just went out again. Unlike the 1st bulb that actually BLEW UP, this one just failed to turn on one day. I would assume i have aprox 1200 hrs total now with less than half on this newer bulb. I've been reading several blogs about these premature failures on the 8100 and will give Epson another chance. I would hate to replace them myself ever 4 months! Keep you posted.

Purchased Jan 2010
1st Replacement Blow Out - April 2010 600 hrs

UPDATE **** -- called epson today 8/23 and they are sending me a replacement projectory and bulb. I am still worried about bulb issues but they have a greate customer service so i can not complain. They took care of me!
2nd Outtage - Aug 2010 (1200hrs???)
post #56 of 186 Old 08-23-2010, 05:35 PM

I live in Australia and brought this projector 3 months ago, it cost me just under $2500.AU that's around $2200.US. I've already had the projector jam several times (remote and buttons on the projector become unresponsive) if I turn the projector on and then turn the blu ray player on after 5 seconds. The only way to unfreeze the projector is to unplug it from the power point which hurts allot considering I spent double the amount some buyers spent on it overseas. Anyways I'm really concerned about the lamp failing, so I called up Epson a few weeks ago and said my lamp failed, the Epson worker said I have to take the projector to a repair store (they allocate which store I have to take it to). The store will fix it with the bill sent to Epson. I called Epson up today and said I'm conserved about the lamp failing and that I've read on forums/review sites ( projectorcentral.com ) that many people have this lamp failure problem and Epson have acknowledged it so they send a replacement lamp right away. The Epson worker then started to say if the lamp fails after the 6 months or the 750 hours then Epson will not cover it. I persisted saying this is a common problem with this projector and that other owners are still getting replacement lamps even after the 750 hours or the 6 months but she just kept on saying sorry it's not covered after six months. My third projector, my first Epson and I'm regretting it
post #57 of 186 Old 08-24-2010, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
well, my tw3500 (i live in portugal) went to epson because i had a green line in the lower bottom of the image and the vertical lens shift had "real life", it was always moving down with out touching it and it was 200h and no problems but here epson is doing 3 years warranty in pj and lamp
post #58 of 186 Old 08-27-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impelled View Post

The projector hasnt flickered since my last update 6 days ago and has got brighter!
Strange behaviour.
When I got this new bulb, I put brightness at -3. By 800hrs it had to put at +6.
Now its reduced to +4 @ 1000hrs.

My previous bulb went through a 2 week period without flickering (after it started) and there was also a period when it got brighter too.

I dont know if the problem has gone away or if this is part of the expected process.
fyi - but sorry if it adds to the confusion.

edit: 21 July
The flickering has returned.
It now does much longer light changes but the light change is much greater too.
When it goes low brightness, it looks dull. At full brightness it is really good.
Each brightness change can be 1/2hr or more or a few minutes, it varies...

Update:

I'm now at 1624 hours and the image is too dim with brightness set to +8.
I called Epson who offered me a replacement bulb.
I declined and asked for a refund as there is a big problem (many double bulb failures and some triple in the short time it has been for sale).
They were unable to help and told me to call the store I bought it from.

I called the shop and explained the problem.
They insisted that a 6 month old projector is too old to have a refund.
I explained that it has taken this long to determine there is a real problem and lots of other people are now finding the same problem.
I told him I was worried that when Epson stop giving out free bulbs, it will cost me £1000 a year in bulbs to run it and that I couldnt even give the projector away to anyone when I buy my next one in a few years!!
He said he has never heard of this problem before so I suggested he read up.

I asked to speak to the manager and he said he would call me back.
1/2 hr before shop closing I called again and asked for the manager.
I was told he is going to speak to Epson and cant get back to me before Tuesday.
I dont expect this to go well.

The true life I have had from the 2 bulbs, is the time before they started flickering.
The flickering is a distraction at best and at worst is too dim when it stays dark which it can do for hours during its early phase. Now its permanently dark at over 1600 hrs.
So the first bulb was satisfactory for 700 hours, this second was 870 hours.

I am really unhappy, its such a nice projector otherwise.
post #59 of 186 Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Although have a 6100 and not an 8100, I thought you might be interested in this.

I bought my 6100 back in January. It had focusing issues. Called Epson, and they sent me a brand new replacement.

It worked great for a year, but then I noticed a red line forming at the top of the screen. I had put almost 2000 hours on the lamp. Called Epson and they immediately sent me a refurbished model that seemed fine.

I noticed after a month or so that the image flickered in 24p 2:2 pulldown mode. Only had about 200 hours on the lamp. Called Epson and they sent me another refurbished model.

Then after about 6 months, the bulb blew. It was rapidly dimming for about a month or so. I had put around 1000 hours on the bulb before it blew.

I called Epson. They asked me to look at lamp to see if it was broken. I told them there was broken glass inside the lamp ballast. They asked no more questions. Didn't even ask me how many hours was on the lamp, and they obviously knew the projector was at least 6 months old.

They are sending a replacement lamp, free of charge. No problem.

Maybe the PJ shouldn't have these problems. After all, in the meantime while waiting for the lamp to arrive, I'm using my old Sanyo Z4 that has 5500 hours on the lamp, and it's still watchable.

All I can say is this. I don't care.

Epson's customer service is the best there is. If they keep this attitude of dedication to customer satisfaction, they've earned my business for life.
post #60 of 186 Old 09-16-2010, 08:48 AM

Liked: 20
Bought an 8100 in March. Bulb popped this week with 493 hours on it. Dimmed noticeably in the past 2 weeks and dramatically on Sunday before it finally broke. Called Epson and they are sending a replacement bulb without much fuss.

Hope it holds because I was hoping for the better bulb life with this projector. My previous Sanyo was getting about 1800 hours before the brightness was unacceptable. Never had one of their lamps burst.

The picture quality with the 8100 is fantastic and greens are noticeably better for some reason than my prior Sanyo PLVZ4 which had a good picture.

Also, when I originally bought the 8100 I could buy replacement bulbs for $199. Best price I could find now was about $240 which may or may not imply that they have upgraded the bulb because of issues. Just a thought.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8100 Home Theatre Projector V11h336120 , Sr 8100 Receiver , Epson
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page