Epson HC 8100 lamp hours/ lamp problems - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought in April 2010. Got dimmer over last few days and then out with flashing red light at 1824 hours. Well short of advertised 4000 hours. Will request replacement next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 09:39 AM

Hi guys. Just wanted to give you guys some more information coming out of Epson with regards to these bulb problems.

My projector started dimming the last few weeks, and last night when I went to watch the football game it was horrible. Pulled up some research and as always got directed to good ol' AVS forums. :-D

I got my projector in February of last year, and started using it at the beginning of March. After 10 months of use I had 750 hours for an average of about 2.5 hours a day.

Anyway, called Epson this morning and within 30 minutes they had me all set to send out a replacement bulb. They told me it was going out today and I would have it tomorrow. Very nice, and unexpected. What's more important though is the tech told me that they have formally changed their warranty with the bulbs on these projectors to match that of the projector warranty, 2 years. He said if this bulb or any replacements go out over the next 2 years they will keep replacing them until the warranty is up. I have to say this is probably the single most appreciated and unexpected service I have ever experienced. It sucks that we have to go through these pains, but I could not be more thoroughly impressed with this level of support from Epson. I will never buy another brand of projector.

Oh, and one last thing, the tech told me they have dismissed all of the bulbs that were sent out with these projectors as faulty and they have stopped using that particular manufacturer, and they are hoping this new manufacturer is providing them with much more reliable bulbs. I'm not sure when they switched, but it sounds like a lot of the old replacement bulbs could have been from the same fault manufacturers. I'll let you guys know how the new bulb works out.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:47 PM

We bought our 8100 projector 11 months ago. Four months later, with only 570 hours of usage, the bulb burned out.

I contacted Epson, who sent me a new bulb.

Amazingly, that bulb has ALSO burned out...this one only made it for 350 hours. FOr bulbs that are touted to last "up to 4000 hours" this is amazing. I went out on Epson's website and submitted another complaint/request for assistance. I hope they are as good following up on this a second time.

By my own math, had I bought two replacement bulbs during this time (without replacements provided by Epson) we would be paying about $1 per hour to watch TV. Amazing.

I haven't heard back from Epson yet but I would be stunned if they refuse to replace the bulb this time around again. The company's response to this problem will determine whether or not I remain an Epson customer. I will post an update when I've heard from Epson as to whether or not they agreed to ship me yet again another bulb.

The fact that others have had the same problem gives me concerns as to whether or not I picked the right projector ,however.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

epson has said it will replace the bulbs for all new projectors(1080p) for the life of the projector warranty.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...e&entry_id=354

(fifth element)
Old 01-07-2011, 03:41 PM

I spoke with Epson about the problem I just posted. They are sending me a replacement, not only for the bulb that just burned out but also one that will replace the extra I purchased when I bought this projector.

He said that the extra bulb I purchased at that time should also be replaced.

THANKS Epson for the great customer service.

I remain a happy Epson customer. We have always been happy with the projector, and it sounds as if now that they have the bulb problem fixed, we will remain Epson customers for a long time.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 PM

Purchased May 2010 and has 208H. Installed in basement and everything is running perfectly.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Purchased: May, 2010
Lamp Issue <90 Days? No
Lamp Issue >90 Days? Yes
Lamp End-of-Life: January, 2010 (exploded; loud pop) - 8 months
Lamp Hours: ~350
Resolution: Epson overnighted replacement bulb, free of charge

Clearly there's either a problem with their parts (lamp) supplier, or there's a defect in their projector design. I explicitly asked the Epson CSR about this and they said they were still uncertain what the root cause was (which is ridiculous in my opinion, since the issue has been going on since day one for 8100 owners).

As is, I would NOT buy an 8100 because of this uncertainty of lamp life and the insanely high cost of replacement lamps.

However, I must give credit where credit is due- Other than the lamp life issue, I love the projector. Image quality is superb, it's extremely quiet, controls are great, lens is sharp, and the customer support is excellent (low wait time, easy to communicate with, polite, and exceeded my expectations on issue resolution - no 'escalation' to tier 2/management, overnight delivery)

For complete resolution, I would like Epson to say:
Quote:

Yes, we found the issue. It was with quality control of part X and we've fixed it. Anyone who continues to have issues with part X will have it replaced with the new part/lamp/projector, and we warranty it for x hours of lamp life.

Only at that time I would recommend this product - and Epson - 100%.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 163
The Sanyo projectors I have owned have had insanely long lasting lamps. The Sanyo Z4000 may be an alternative to the 8350 for a few hundred more if you pair it with an HP screen. The z4000 has better black levels and is sharper, but not nearly as bright, but Sanyo lamps seem to have a history of lasting unusually long. BUT, and this is a huge but, I have heard Sanyo RMA warranty is the worst in the business lately, they will refuse to replace a projector maybe even if the entire screen is dead in the warranty period (maybe, so some have claimed, but I personally have my doubts as to the truth of this).

Now that the JVC HD250 is slowly dropping to near the 2k mark, I start recommending the JVC's and up'n the budget a bit more, but I have heard a lot of people complain about JVC lamps, not this year's models necessarily but overall.

The Mits lamps are good, but then not many current choices that are up to current technologies except their DLP series (hc4000). Mits is releasing some new LCOS projectors soon enough, but maybe not until Nov (not sure).

Keep in mind that if Epson replaces the lamp for free for (2) years, and the low cost of buying the 8350 anyhow (less than the Mits hc4000, less than the Sanyo Z4000), we're talking about a very small amount of money over a (4) year period, maybe $100 if you calculate the cost correctly. If you are some odd case and use the projector for 5+ years without replacing it, I could see a possibility of the cost adding up over time if you are a VERY high usage user.

Now if losing a lamp is just aggravating to you even when you know the replacement is free, then that may be another issue entirely.

I wouldn't count off the Epsons, but yah it's a bit harder to recommend due to not really so much the lamp, but just the overall history of convergence and other QC issues that have plagued it as well.

But even given the above statement, it seems like projectors overall right now just aren't so reliable, which might bring me back to the JVC hd250 given all the other benefits you get as well.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 02-06-2011, 08:01 PM

I have had the Epson for 9 months now.
Blown lamp after 650 hrs, had a replacement sent from Epson.
Second lamp blown after about 700 hrs (1350 life) two weeks ago.
Epson sent me another- I hope you guys are right about them keeping replacing the lamp...pretty ridiculous and disappointing the rate of this.

For some facts now..

My projector is hanging off the ceiling of a large living room, closest wall behind it is 5 ft. away.
Using it daily for average of 4 hrs ...with more on weekends (around 6 to 7 - not in one shot).
I live in the NE part of the US, so it is far from warm around here.
First lamp blew without warning (a loud pop).
Second one went dim a week before it blew.
I have a slight feeling that the Fan is not going hard enough for these lamps- I guess part of Epson trying to deliver quiet and bright and crossing fingers it will work?

Had two Panasonic HD (720p) projectors before this one, usually rated lamps at 1800hrs...usually lasted me around 3000.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Purchased August 2010 - 1254HRs Lamp getting very dim, almost overnight. Called Epson, spent 14 minutes on the phone, including time for me to find my serial number, give them my name, address, date of purchase. They are sending me a new bulb, under warranty. Should have it in a couple days. I just hope it doesn't completely blow before the new bulb gets here.

Overall I'm happy with how quick they got the job done, and them carrying a warranty on the bulb for the full 2 years of the projector.

Edit: The bulb is bad one day later. Now I'm waiting for the new one!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:11 AM

My first lamp lasted only 25 hours, powered off the projector and the lamp popped.

My second lamp last just around 920 hours, it never popped but I notice that my resolution seemed to dim a bit over a week time. I didn't know this was the result of the lamp going bad until I had gotten the bad lamp flashing red light. After removing the lamp it was obvious that it was deformed.

Epson has been very good about the replacements but I voiced my concern that there could be other possible issues with the projector itself, although they are great for honoring the warranty,the warranty doen't last and I don't want to be stuck with paying for 2 lamps a year.

I was told that they a certain that it is the lamp manufactures that they have been using and they have replaced all their products with the new lamps and all of the replacements have also, and hopefully the issues will be resolved.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 PM

I bought mine 11/09, about 1300 hr's with no problem's so far. I wonder if I should use it more so the bulb pop's before 2 year's. I only use it for blu-ray's and sport's event's.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvbc View Post

I bought mine 11/09, about 1300 hr's with no problem's so far. I wonder if I should use it more so the bulb pop's before 2 year's. I only use it for blu-ray's and sport's event's.

I'm hoping to see more posts like yours. My 8100 has played great and I like it a lot, but with only 250 hours on it, I feel like I'm waiting on the other shoe to drop. I'll feel better when I see some 2000 hour users , if they exist, post their experiences.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 AM

Bought the 8100 in January 2010 as part of an upgrade to my home theater.

The projector is solid. It has an amazing picture with great contrast. If need be I could run it with the lights in the room on and still see things just right.

Fast forward to July of 2010 and with 400 hours the bulb exploded. The explosion was contained to the bulb casing itself. I immediately called Epson customer support to see what could be done.

They were helpful and understanding. The sent me a new bulb via FedEx with overnight shipping. Swapped out bulbs and was back up and running in no time.

Fast forward to Feb 2011. I turned on the projector and immediately noticed the low amount of light coming out of the projector. The picture was about 1/5 of its normal output. Not knowing the cause, I went ahead and called the Epson customer support again.

Got in touch with them and they walked me through removing and inspecting the bulb for problems. Inspecting the bulb I noticed the filament inside was pointing downward. While looking through the side of the bulb casing I could see that the filament was pointing downward at a 45 degree angle. Explained this to the customer service agent and they suggested I call back the next day to discuss with their next level of service.

Called them back, gave them reference number from night before and was taken to service agent who reviewed the notes and asked a few questions. He concluded the bulb was at fault and has agreed to ship another bulb.

I will follow up once I receive the replacement bulb.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I love how they keep sending us new bulbs, but what do I do in November when my warranties up? I'm on my third bulb. I'm averaging 700 hours or 7-8 months a bulb. I don't want to buy a bulb every 7 months.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 163
You know what I'd do, I'd try to buy non-OEM bulb.
Normally I'd say the OEM bulbs are always better, but in this case a generic bulb may best the Epson.

Wouldn't it be funny if you could really get 2000+ hours out of a generic bulb for the Epson projectors.

Not saying it'll happen, but anything is possible.
Maybe try adding an extra fan near the bulb, betting the issue is heat degradation over time.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 PM

I purchased my 8100 in June of 2010. Beginning of January this year it seemed to be getting dim, and we were noticing a ghosting image on the dark scenes. Epson over-nighted a new bulb but that didn't really seem to do much. I called back and explained it all, next day a refurbished pj showed up. Image is crazy bright now, but I have a stupid little orb in the middle upper right of the screen that was not there on the other pj.

Their customer support amazing....I just wish I could get a pj that works!

Called Epson support today, pj number 3 will be here tomorrow...

Has anyone else had issues with multiple replacements? It is getting old.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darley View Post

Bought the 8100 in January 2010 as part of an upgrade to my home theater.

The projector is solid. It has an amazing picture with great contrast. If need be I could run it with the lights in the room on and still see things just right.

Fast forward to July of 2010 and with 400 hours the bulb exploded. The explosion was contained to the bulb casing itself. I immediately called Epson customer support to see what could be done.

They were helpful and understanding. The sent me a new bulb via FedEx with overnight shipping. Swapped out bulbs and was back up and running in no time.

Fast forward to Feb 2011. I turned on the projector and immediately noticed the low amount of light coming out of the projector. The picture was about 1/5 of its normal output. Not knowing the cause, I went ahead and called the Epson customer support again.

Got in touch with them and they walked me through removing and inspecting the bulb for problems. Inspecting the bulb I noticed the filament inside was pointing downward. While looking through the side of the bulb casing I could see that the filament was pointing downward at a 45 degree angle. Explained this to the customer service agent and they suggested I call back the next day to discuss with their next level of service.

Called them back, gave them reference number from night before and was taken to service agent who reviewed the notes and asked a few questions. He concluded the bulb was at fault and has agreed to ship another bulb.

I will follow up once I receive the replacement bulb.

UPDATE -

The CSR said that the lamp would be shipped overnight via FEDEX. They said I could call the next morning for a Tracking Number.

So, this morning I give them a call and come to find out they had an error with shipping. So now the lamp has no chance of getting here before the weekend since FEDEX does not deliver on weekends.

The CSR I spoke with this morning said they had no alternate methods of shipping. Now I get to not have my projector for the weekend. THANKS GUYS!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
They do ship on weekends via FEDEX. I had my last replacement sent on Saturday before the Super Bowl. My bulb died the previous Monday and I made the call to get a new one. The blizzard shut Epson 's IN location down until Thursday of that week. I called everyday to see if it had shipped and was unable to get an answer. Finally on Friday I spoke w/ an advanced service rep and explained that I had 30 + people coming for the Super Bowl and I'd be willing to pay for a Saturday delivery. He told me he'd see what he could do and he would get back to me. He got the bulb shipped immediately and payed for the Saturday delivery. Ask for an advanced rep
Old 02-18-2011, 09:34 PM

Wanted to add in pics of the defective lamp. Notice the way the filament points downward. Tried to get detailed shots.
LL
LL
Old 02-21-2011, 05:48 PM

Received lamp and seem to be back in business. Crossing fingers that the lamp can last a little longer.

Pics show unpacking of box and a shot of the lamp details on the projector after I installed the lamp but before I reset the lamp.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Old 02-24-2011, 07:26 AM

I purchsed 8100 in Nov 09. Lamp just quit after about 770 hours, with gradually getting darker over a few days and then no pic and red light flashing. Called Epson. Sending me a new lamp with no questions asked.

It is an excellent projector, but replacing the lamp under 1000 hr of use everytime is going to cost a lot of money. After the warranty gets over and when I have to replace the lamp again, I might be looking for another brand of projector.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 200
so what happens with this bulb warranty if you bought the Epson extended warranty bringing it to 3 yrs? I'm guessing the worse, and there's probably no reason to get the extended warranty.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:48 AM

My light is flashing now also. I never noticed any dimming but I rarely use it. I just turned it on and nothing happened...then I got the lamp light flashing. We had a horrible electrical storm the other night and the power flickered alot. Hope this didnt fry something. I looked @ the bulb and its not scorched but the filament is bent downward like pictured above. I called Epson a few minutes ago and they overnighted a new bulb. Hopefully this fixes my problem and its not something else. I have to say I am impressed w/ Epsons service. Never had such a hassle free service. They didnt ask hardly any questions, just wanted my address.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:51 PM

Liked: 14
I must be one of the lucky ones. Purchased my 8100 February 2009. I have over 2400 hours on the lamp and its still going strong. It is definitely dimmer then when it was new. But it has not blown. I was going to order a new bulb soon anyways. Maybe I should just call epson and explain how my bulb is dimming. Couldnt hurt to try anyways.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clskinsfan View Post

I must be one of the lucky ones. Purchased my 8100 February 2009. I have over 2400 hours on the lamp and its still going strong. It is definitely dimmer then when it was new. But it has not blown. I was going to order a new bulb soon anyways. Maybe I should just call epson and explain how my bulb is dimming. Couldnt hurt to try anyways.

Glad to hear your "success" story. It gives me a little hope as I move onto the future. Like most 8100 owners, I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on this unit. Hopefully, there we'll be more posts like yours in the coming months.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 PM

Bought March 2009.
1st lamp blew at 1000 hours - unfortunately at about 200 days. Ordered a new one online.
2nd lamp just blew with about 1200 hours on it. About to complain like hell to Epson and try to get one free.

With the advertised 4000 hours, I really expected to not have laid out enough for a 720p lcd already on lamps.

The HC8100 is well ventilated, on a power conditioned and backed up line.

My 1st projector was a Sony HS10, and that lasted 3000 hours, even with the internal cooling issues.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Update: I just had a very pleasant experience with Epson's customer service (562-276-4394). They are sending a free replacement lamp, and explained that they found an issue with the old lamps, so they're modifying the warranty on some models of their projectors to include the lamp for the original warranty period.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I'm going to call Epson today too. Bulb too dim to watch @ 1565 hrs. Hopefully they are as nice to me as everyone else.

-DavidVTHokie
Old 05-02-2011, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVTHokie View Post

Well, I'm going to call Epson today too. Bulb too dim to watch @ 1565 hrs. Hopefully they are as nice to me as everyone else.

They were - the hardest part was remembering where I put my Epson PrivateLine card with the PIN. Bulb will arrive Wednesday, so they paid up for shipping too.

So is this worth it to them? Probably, I've had friends buy the 8700 on my recommendation, and I'll buy an Epson when it's time to.

-DavidVTHokie

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8100 Home Theatre Projector V11h336120 , Sr 8100 Receiver , Epson