Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 186 Old 05-18-2013, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drouin2009 View Post

my 3rd bulb blew with only 700 hours on it, epson told me the same thing they tell me every time "we got a bad batch of bulbs, a new bulb will be sent to you and all will be fine". I told the rep I was concerned that they were stringing me along until my warranty was up... no, no, no, bad batch of bulbs. My 4th bulb and 2 months out of warranty epson tells me that it is a hardware issue with my projector (more than likely the ballast) and I need to see a service center to have my projector repaired but will have to pay for the service since the projector is out of warranty. I will never buy an Epson product ever ever never ever again.

yikes, but i heard that you can have them replace the unit if its the 3rd bulb? why not have it replaced, its under warranty right>?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 186 Old 11-13-2013, 03:55 PM

I bought this projector based on the fact that the bulb was rated for 4000 hours. After only ~500 hours the original bulb failed. I called Epson who assured me that the problem was fixed as they've switched manufacturers and they shipped me a replacement under warranty.

After ~500 hours on the replacement bulb, it failed as well.  I called Epson and even escalated the call to a supervisor and they offered me no solution but to purchase a replacement bulb for $300. I asked them why I would give them $300 for a replacement when two out of two bulbs that I had used thus far only lasted ~500 hours. Further, I asked how I could trust their word that the issue was fixed since this is what they told me the first time the bulb failed.

Epson switching bulb manufacturers obviously did not fix the issue. Do not believe them when they tell you this. It appears that what happened here is they were sending me these defective bulbs and were stringing me along until my warranty was up. I told the supervisor that his unwillingness to do anything resulted in Epson losing a customer forever. I also assured him that I would review the product and share my unfortunate story. Lastly, I am pondering suing them in small claims court for false advertising just out of principle.

If you want to buy new bulbs every 5oo hours at $300 a pop then this is the projector for you! Buyer Beware.

post #183 of 186 Old 02-05-2014, 02:12 PM

I purchased my Epson 8100 about 3 years ago and have gone through 2 bulbs already. The hour meter says I have a total of 1643 hours on the projector sot that is roughly 825 hours per bulb, NOT even 1/4 life. I called customer service and they have had a lot of complaints in regards to these bulbs, but insisted it is only 5% problem and the rest of the customers are getting their 4000 hours out of the bulbs. I called BS on that and told them that I would never buy their products again. I can understand if they were to tell the consumer that their bulbs last up to 1000 hours and mine lasted 85% I would not be having issues with them, but to say bulb lasts up to 4000 hours, they may of well said it lasts up to 10000 hours, it's still a lie.
post #184 of 186 Old 02-05-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehunter View Post

I purchased my Epson 8100 about 3 years ago and have gone through 2 bulbs already. The hour meter says I have a total of 1643 hours on the projector sot that is roughly 825 hours per bulb, NOT even 1/4 life. I called customer service and they have had a lot of complaints in regards to these bulbs, but insisted it is only 5% problem and the rest of the customers are getting their 4000 hours out of the bulbs. I called BS on that and told them that I would never buy their products again. I can understand if they were to tell the consumer that their bulbs last up to 1000 hours and mine lasted 85% I would not be having issues with them, but to say bulb lasts up to 4000 hours, they may of well said it lasts up to 10000 hours, it's still a lie.

My Epson 8100 is now on the way out 3.5 years later ... and I can't say I've ever gotten 4000 hrs out of a bulb ... but I've been through 4 over at least 11000 hours total ... so I got far more then you did per bulb ... I wouldn't think that I am the exception getting almost 3000 hrs per bulb... and the last of those 4 bulbs hasnt died yet ... the projector itself though is starting to give me issues.
post #185 of 186 Old 03-26-2014, 08:27 AM

My 8100 just reached 4 years and 2000 hours total on the projector. At 2 years and just under 1000 hours I changed the bulb because of reading this thread--it was still going strong. I now have 1000 hours and 2 years on the second bulb with no problems.
Because I use the projector just under 10 hours a week, and usually on the "Eco" brightness setting, it does not get the kind of tough service many do. Perhaps that's why I've had no bulb failures or dimming?
By the way, I love this projector!
post #186 of 186 Old 05-01-2014, 10:23 PM

Bought Epson 8350 and assume same lamp since my lamp search brought me to this site.  bought PJ in 2011.  Lamp lasted 15 months and died with 1200 hours.  I'd read that the old lamps were defective.  Epson replaced lamp.  Replacement lamp died today with 1252 hours.  I called Epson and rep told me he'd try to get warranty exception but I'd have to call back tomorrow.  Not really hopeful but will give it a try.

1200 hours per lamp at $300/lamp is a bad joke.  I bought the PJ based on the good reviews, price, and the 4K lamplife.  I'm curious to see if anyone gets even close to the 4K advertised.  I'd be happy if it even gets 3K.  well maybe not exactly "happy" when it goes out but at least I wouldn't feel like Epson misrepresented the lamps lifetime. 

I've got the standard home theater set up:  10 ft high ceiling mounted, good circulation, etc...  I've enjoyed it when it works but am considering moving my reliable 10 year old 65" mitzubishi into the room.   

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8100 Home Theatre Projector V11h336120 , Sr 8100 Receiver , Epson
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page