Epson HC 8100 lamp hours/ lamp problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 186 Old 05-19-2010, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is lots of information on the lamp going bad in the first few months; thought it would be beneficial for everyone; especially those wanting to purchase it but are apprehensive about the lamp going bad.

If you own the Epson HC 8100; please respond with one of the following:

1) Lamp gone bad within 90 days - specify hours on lamp (at the time it went bad) and it Epson replaced it; add any relevant comments
2) Lamp gone bad after 90 days - specify hours on on lamp (at the time); how replacement was obtained
3) No lamp issues - specify month/ year of purchase and current hours on the lamp

Thanks, folks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 186 Old 05-20-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Purchased Nov 2009. About 500 hours. Zero issues. Just an outstanding picture!
post #3 of 186 Old 05-20-2010, 08:11 PM

Purchased Nov 2009, 1000+ hours, running great!
post #4 of 186 Old 05-21-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, badgerpilot & grishi. Mine is still new and yet to exceed 10 hours.

All owners - please post your hours/ problems as requested. Let's promote this great PJ.
post #5 of 186 Old 05-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Purchased Nov-09...140 hrs...no issues. Min/Max hrs used in one setting...2/6
post #6 of 186 Old 05-23-2010, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, folks; keep 'em coming. Only 4 owners so far? I'm sure there are more. Come on!
post #7 of 186 Old 05-25-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnqst View Post

There is lots of information on the lamp going bad in the first few months; thought it would be beneficial for everyone; especially those wanting to purchase it but are apprehensive about the lamp going bad.

If you own the Epson HC 8100; please respond with one of the following:

1) Lamp gone bad within 90 days - specify hours on lamp (at the time it went bad) and it Epson replaced it; add any relevant comments
2) Lamp gone bad after 90 days - specify hours on on lamp (at the time); how replacement was obtained
3) No lamp issues - specify month/ year of purchase and current hours on the lamp

Thanks, folks!

Bought mine mid Feb 2010.

Got it installed ceiling mounted sometime early last month, I've been very busy lately so didn't had the chance / time to really run the projector for extended periods before sadly it gave up on me with ONLY a total run time of 11 hours!!!!....happened suddenly one night when I got it powered for about a minute before the image / lamp went blank. Tried out all the troubleshooting options available from the manual to no avail.....

Am now trying my luck to claim warranty though I'm in category (2) Lamp gone bad after 90 days - specify hours on on lamp (at the time); how replacement was obtained

Cheers
post #8 of 186 Old 05-25-2010, 05:42 AM

I have been using it.. and have faced no problem regarding this.. it's a great thing..
post #9 of 186 Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 AM

purchased November 2009 - 900 hours so far with no problems

post #10 of 186 Old 05-26-2010, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs-LG View Post

I have been using it.. and have faced no problem regarding this.. it's a great thing..

Thanks; how many hours?
post #11 of 186 Old 05-26-2010, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaazhan View Post

Bought mine mid Feb 2010.

Got it installed ceiling mounted sometime early last month, I've been very busy lately so didn't had the chance / time to really run the projector for extended periods before sadly it gave up on me with ONLY a total run time of 11 hours!!!!....happened suddenly one night when I got it powered for about a minute before the image / lamp went blank. Tried out all the troubleshooting options available from the manual to no avail.....

Am now trying my luck to claim warranty though I'm in category (2) Lamp gone bad after 90 days - specify hours on on lamp (at the time); how replacement was obtained

Cheers

Thanks, aaazhan. Epson should be sending you a new replacement lamp; let us know how it works out and your experience with Epson.

BTW did you cycle the lamp? Meaning when you were using it, did you turn it on and off like a TV? That is one known cause for a PJ lamp going bad.
post #12 of 186 Old 06-14-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnqst View Post

Thanks, folks; keep 'em coming. Only 4 owners so far? I'm sure there are more. Come on!

Bought mine 5 weeks ago. It's my primary "TV" with 232 hours on it. Insanely dim today. Getting worse by the hour. Dang! I had an Epson 720p PJ that was rocking the house. Not happy at the moment, but lets see how they do.

the shortest distance between 2 points isn't the point
post #13 of 186 Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bought in March 2010, installed in basement after room was finished in May 2010

Currently at 65 hours after 3 weeks -- no problems.

Ran for 10 hours straight at 1 point when the PJ was at about 20 hours

xbox: McFly1955
ps4: GeorgeMcFly1955
post #14 of 186 Old 06-15-2010, 07:24 PM

Epson tech support is open 6 AM to 6 PM PST. Rushed home from work today - made it! Each projector comes with a "PrivateLine" credit card doodad providing a toll free number and a PIN. Mine didn't work, so I had to make a long distance call. Tech Support gave me a temporary PIN should I have another problem with my current PIN / projector.

We ran thru a few tests, and she said it definitely said there was most likely an early failure of the bulb. They'll ship a replacement off and I should have it in about 4 days. NICE!

The only bad part - I'll have to pull out the really old Panasonic AE-700 in the meantime (at least I can still see it).

Great job Epson!

post #15 of 186 Old 06-16-2010, 11:19 AM

I was interested in purchasing the 8100. But, after reading about the lamp failures here and elsewhere, I decided to call Epson.

I called customer support and spoke to a rep that was unaware of any lamp problems with this projector. He said he had to confer with an associate. Milton came on the line and acknowledged that there had been lamps reported as failing and those were replaced under the 90 day lamp warranty.

I asked him, what about lamps that faild after the 90 day warranty period. He said that they would be replaced if they had up to 500 hours on the lamp. I told him about one person who only had 750 hours on the lamp. He then stated that they would replace the lamp on a case by case basis.

I than asked if there were any manufacturing or cooling issues with the lamps or the projector, and he denied that there were any.

NSNQST: Could some of the problem be with turning the projector off, then on before a cooling period, or handling the lamp with their fingers where finger shouldn't touch (if this is a new projector this shouldn't be the case), or poor ventilation around the projector?

I'm not convinced that I should buy this projector.

Thanks
post #16 of 186 Old 06-16-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by knapp0564 View Post

I was interested in purchasing the 8100. But, after reading about the lamp failures here and elsewhere, I decided to call Epson.

I called customer support and spoke to a rep that was unaware of any lamp problems with this projector. He said he had to confer with an associate. Milton came on the line and acknowledged that there had been lamps reported as failing and those were replaced under the 90 day lamp warranty.

I asked him, what about lamps that faild after the 90 day warranty period. He said that they would be replaced if they had up to 500 hours on the lamp. I told him about one person who only had 750 hours on the lamp. He then stated that they would replace the lamp on a case by case basis.

I than asked if there were any manufacturing or cooling issues with the lamps or the projector, and he denied that there were any.

NSNQST: Could some of the problem be with turning the projector off, then on before a cooling period, or handling the lamp with their fingers where finger shouldn't touch (if this is a new projector this shouldn't be the case), or poor ventilation around the projector?

I'm not convinced that I should buy this projector.

Thanks

Premature lamp failures can occur with any projector. The fact that Epson stands behind their product even after the 90 day period for lamps speaks volumes to me. Also, most of us are enjoying our 8100's with out any problems. Those that have problems post, and as you can see, Epson seems to be taking care of them. If you are still concerned, you can always buy a bulb warranty from Mack Warranty who offers a good warranty through this forum.
post #17 of 186 Old 06-16-2010, 04:34 PM

Mine just went after 5 months and about 500 hours? If I had to guess the hours. Glad I sent in the registration form they found my information quickly. For the last 2 weeks the projector didnt seem as bright when it first started up but when its dark you wouldnt be able to tell. I have mine on a UPS and excellent airflow.

Epson tech support was excellent and like the above poster they said it sounded like a premature bulb failure and the replacement should be here in 4 days. I'll be sad without my projector but I am happy to see epson stand behind thier products.
post #18 of 186 Old 06-18-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

Premature lamp failures can occur with any projector. The fact that Epson stands behind their product even after the 90 day period for lamps speaks volumes to me. Also, most of us are enjoying our 8100's with out any problems. Those that have problems post, and as you can see, Epson seems to be taking care of them. If you are still concerned, you can always buy a bulb warranty from Mack Warranty who offers a good warranty through this forum.

Thanks badgerpiolt.

I'm a little closer to a purchase.

This is a little off topic. I've got an Infocus SP4805 that I bought in 2003! And the lamp is still going. I wouldn't even think of replacing it except for the stupid light tunnel issue. I used to use it most every night for 2 hrs or so, until the light tunnel failure became too annoying. Still good for 4:3 material though.
post #19 of 186 Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 PM

I've had mine since May 2010, 111 hours as of the end of the Lakers/Celts last night. Not a complaint in the world here.
post #20 of 186 Old 06-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
nov 2009. 60hrs only maybe? a 2-3 hr movie every now and then, pretty dang low usage! No issues yet, and i hope it stays that way
post #21 of 186 Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 PM

mine is 4 mo old 1025 hours just went out. thats bull**** i thought aprox 3000 hours 200.00 bucks im not happy
post #22 of 186 Old 06-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyy View Post

mine is 4 mo old 1025 hours just went out. thats bull**** i thought aprox 3000 hours 200.00 bucks im not happy

so you averaged 8.5hrs a day on this? wow!
post #23 of 186 Old 06-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Does any body have more info about the bulb issue ?
I'm looking for a good projector that will last at least 2 years.. because I'm thinking to buy a better then.. but right now the one I would like to have is kind a bit expensive for me.. specially when more 3D projector are coming by the end of the year.

My concern are... The bulb problem... so far it's seem to be 50/50.

also on that note.. what is your opinion on:
-the convergence problem.
-organic panel.. they are known to fade out with time..

P.S I live in canada, does anybody have experience with epson tech support for Canadians.
post #24 of 186 Old 06-29-2010, 11:12 PM

Its maybe 30 hours into the new bulb and I'm noticing the bottom of my projected image now has a red bleed to it and the top of my image appears to be getting a blue bleed to it. It didn't have this before. About 1-3 inches into the top and bottom of the image area more relevant at the ends then fades into the picture. Middle area looks great but its distracting and visible. I put it on Living room setting (brightest) to see if its still there and it is. Also when I put it on living room its giving off a burning smell. I know its a new bulb but I don't think it should be doing that.

I have great airflow and a clean filter Im thinking there is a heat problem with my projector. The fans are running and heat it coming through. It doesnt feel overly hot. We generally are people who run a cooler temp home so its never had a warm room condition to deal with so plenty of cool fresh air for it.

With the premature bulb failure and now the color bleed I suspect the units fans might not push enough air through the unit. Its great the projector fan noise hasn't been an issue but I suspect it has a heat problem with such a low rpm or near silent fans.

Looks like I will be calling Epson tomorrow. I'm a little worried but if Epson handles the projector like they did the bulb then I'm sure they will make good.
post #25 of 186 Old 06-30-2010, 05:02 PM

As expected Epson being a great company is sending a replacement projector after we attempted several troubleshooting steps to correct the issue. I'm going to take a picture later tonight of the issue because Ive seen various people ask about it but its kind of irrelevant because Epsons going to replace it. The red bleed across the bottom is clearly visible in the daylight.

I had to give them a credit card obviously to charge my card until they receive this one back. Thats typical after all they are sending me $1300 worth of projector before I ship mine back.

I reseated the bulb before just to be sure it wasn't some bulb alignment and looking into the bulb itself out of the projector I see red within the bulb so it might be the bulb where the red is coming from? Looking at the blown out bulb I don't see any red. Not sure what thats about but its not for me to worry about.

For anyone questioning the projector I wouldn't let it deter you from buying it the picture is amazing and obviously Epson sending me a replacement bulb and now replacing the projector shows how much they stand behind their products. The bulb arrived in 4 days and the projector will be here in 2 would be less if I was able to call it in earlier. Tech support was courteous and professional both times. I'll report back when the replacement arrives.
post #26 of 186 Old 07-03-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

Premature lamp failures can occur with any projector. The fact that Epson stands behind their product even after the 90 day period for lamps speaks volumes to me.

It can occur with any projector but it seem to happen alot more with this model.

It looked good on paper OptiCinema lens system by Fujinon, 10-bit panel driver energy efficient E-TORL lamp but it's hard to ignore all the posts on many sites about blown lamps.

The more I read about the technical aspects the better it sounds, just looks at the lamp.

Do other Epson projectors that use the E-Torl lamp have this issue, could it be some design flaw with this model or does it look more like this type of E-torl lamp just doesn't hold up as well as other types?
post #27 of 186 Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 PM

Hi guys
I registered here to post my experience.
I found this thread after looking to see if anyone else is having the same problem, so here goes.

I bought my TW3500, the UK version of the Epson 8100 in February after waiting years for a good 1080p projector at a decent price point, with good enough bulb life and acceptable bulb price/availability (these are critical).
What a projector it is, awesome in every respect, except one, bulb life
This projector gets used a lot, around 16hrs a day so problems will undoubtedly crop up faster.

At around 700hrs bulb life (nearly all ECO mode), the picture started to flicker.
The flicker didnt happen on high power mode (that I could see), only in ECO mode.
The bulb got progressively darker but I assumed it must be normal behaviour as its hard to tell what is too dark.
At around 1500 hrs I emailed the store and told them it was too dark, they said I should contact Epson.
Epsons support centre was hard hard work, I had to phone multiple times to make sure I was being told correct information, they devised new ways of getting me to go away each time.
So I ended up asking, then demanding to speak to a manager but non was available. I explained that isnt possible in such an environment, so he told me someone would call back.
No one called back so I phoned again a bit annoyed and within an hour of the call a manager called me.
He said an engineer would come some time within 2 days but he couldnt say on which day or what time.
I accepted being happy I was getting support.

The next day, the projector became extremely dim and not long after there was a very loud bang!
I called Epson support and they told me I need a new bulb.
They didnt have stock though and were not able to tell me when they would have stock.
Baffled, I asked them how they had no stock of probably the most used bulb and no way of knowing when they would get stock, but they seemed just as baffled as me.
Eventually they agreed they would have to send an engineer and give me the bulb from his projector.
I was not happy with having a second hand bulb but they assured me it would be brand new, so I agreed with gritted teeth.
I pushed them to give me a time and the engineer turned up within a couple of hours!
From reporting the problem (to a manager) to the engineer turning up took only 1 day, that part of the service is fantastic but I sure had to work for it.
The engineer replaced the bulb and my new toy was better than ever, even brighter than when I first had it.
(The old bulb had exploded but because it is surrounded by a wire mesh, it was well contained in the bulbs shell)
Problem solved.

Not Quite.
The projector has been awesome up until a couple of days ago, at 870hrs (nearly all ECO mode) the new bulb has started flickering.
I havent contacted Epson again yet and really dont want to after the trouble they gave me last time.
As I've already had my warranty replacement bulb, I'm expecting to be given a tough time.
This will be interesting, I'll keep you posted.

Notes:
I dont use the auto iris.
The auto iris can mask the flickering so if you use auto iris, turn auto iris off and see if it flickers in ECO mode.
Its easier to see the early flickering when viewing brighter images like a PCs web browser.
There was no flicker in either bulbs early life.

The projector does its own power down cycle and has always been shut down using the remote control, not from the mains power.
The filter has been kept very clean.
Projector is mounted halfway up a wall, central to the screen, there are no nearby heat sources.

Edit: 8th July
I received a reply from the store I bought it from.
He said 'this is not a common problem with Epson, I suspect there may be a fault with your unit.'
Maybe this is true, I just dont want to contact Epson now until I absolutely have to.
It looks like you get a better first response from Epson in the US so dont let my UK experience put you off over the pond
post #28 of 186 Old 07-08-2010, 01:28 PM

Lost the bulb after 605 hours. Bulb exploded after being dim for one hour. 5 months old PJ. Guess I'll see whether Epson stands behind their product. Seems like this is a common problem, found lots of reviews in different forums complaining about this.

Update: Talked to Epson Support. Note that the "direct line" PIN # that came with the PJ didn't work, forcing me to call the toll #. First level support put me through to a specialist who walked me through the lamp removal procedure to verify lamp was bust. They are shipping me replacement, no problem/no charge. Should have it in 2 business days. Happy customer. Hope the new one lasts. Will followup if any other problems show up.

Update1(7/12/2010): Well, they sent me the WRONG Lamp. Contacted support, told them the problem. After VERY long period on hold, they connected me with "Lisa" from "Customer Relations" who proceeded to tell me that they are going to send me a prepaid Fedex label to send back the incorrect lamp, but unfortunately due to "Epson policy", they cannot send me the right lamp until they get the wrong one back. I told her I was very unhappy with that, given that I have been out of service for 5 days now, and it would probably be another 5 days to a week before I'd have the replacement. She said that the policy was due to the cost of the lamps and that she has no control over it. I said I was very unhappy that they would treat a customer with such a lack of trust, but she said there is nothing that she can do. I told her I would be reporting this to every forum I could find. So, pretty sour on the Epson experience, now. My recommendation is to find a different projector, Epson doesn't deserve the business. I may be stuck with this one for a while, but this will be the last Epson product I buy.
post #29 of 186 Old 07-09-2010, 08:05 PM

Great thread nsnqst. I too am considering replacing my NEC LT240K(I've already sold it actually) with the Epson 8100. I use to swear by a 4:3 projector for viewing regular TV as well as classic movies and TV shows on DVD(Columbo, Twilight Zone, Honeymooners, etc). With STD content hardly being provided to my HD cable box anymore, I only have 4 or 5 4:3 channels that I am aware of, I have come to realize the time for a widescreen PJ is long overdue. I would have bought this unit last week, but "exploding lamps" hardly make you feel good about a $1000 plus investment.

I have auditioned several projectors to replace the NEC( Acer P5271, Optoma GameTime and the Epson Powerlite Presenter) and have not been impressed for the most part. I'm getting tired of returning projectors but I am jonesing for some HT as I don't have a unit at the moment. I plan on purchasing the 8100 on Monday after talking to Epson and will post my "findings" when I get it. To all present and future 8100 users, let's hope for the best.
post #30 of 186 Old 07-10-2010, 03:11 PM

Hola amigo,

Epson was great and replaced my bulb (original must have had issues). No problems so far with the new one. This is a really great PJ. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Go get it.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8100 Home Theatre Projector V11h336120 , Sr 8100 Receiver , Epson
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page