LG HX300 still not released in the UK. How about elsewhere? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 87 Old 06-29-2010, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Boston909..... that projector does better in ambient light than what the old projector I had, and it was just a 800 X 600 projector without the DCDi Faroudja chip in it and it was just a business projector.
Have you checked to see how far you have to be from the screen until you can see the pixels ?.
Have you ever had any old tech DLP projectors with the bulbs ? can you see any difference in contrast between the LED projectors and the old DLP bulbs ?
On the old DLP projector I have, you can see this haze, due to poor contrast.
I got some good news, I managed to fix my car and it didn't cost me much $$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 06-30-2010, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is this projector more widely available yet?
post #63 of 87 Old 07-01-2010, 05:37 AM

DLPProjectorfan... I'd say, if you have a 100" projected screen, to not be able to see the pixels you would have to be about 10 feet away from the screen or more.

Besides the HS201 (HS200G in the UK), I have never had any other projector, nor seen another one in action anywhere, so I'm afraid that I couldn't comment on the contrast between LED bulbs and normal PJ bulbs...

Glad your car didn't cost too much in the end! - it means you may be able to get the HX300 after all
post #64 of 87 Old 07-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
To compare the haze , or poor contrast of the old DLP projector I had, you would have to look at the LG HX-300 information page on some of those Korean sights where you have a picture of a yellow flower, one looks crappy, and the other is more clear and better color.
However, we can't be sure if those 2 pictures are a real example of comparing another projector and the LG HX-300.
post #65 of 87 Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 AM

Sooo... Boston, did you ever get that iPhone4G? I'm itching to see the videos man!
post #66 of 87 Old 07-06-2010, 01:54 PM
PLB

Liked: 11
The menu seems to indicate an economy mode. Why?

On my bulb based projector if I run it in standard mode I get 2,000 hours but in eco mode I'm supposed to get 3,000 hours. I suppose I would use a little less electricity too. But if you get 30,000 hours from LEDs ...
post #67 of 87 Old 07-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
less power consumption and fan noise, and possibly more longevity for the leds and the components inside in general.
post #68 of 87 Old 07-08-2010, 06:19 PM

What about Samsung SP-F10M LED-based 3LCD Data Projector?
1000 lumens!!!
Price in EU 899 Euro.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SP-F10...8638012&sr=8-1
post #69 of 87 Old 07-09-2010, 04:11 AM

Seems the noise the SP-F10 makes, makes it difficult to use in a HT.
post #70 of 87 Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 AM

Standart noise,the same as lg 201 produce.
post #71 of 87 Old 07-22-2010, 08:38 AM

Hey, Boston, any more impressions to share with us?

Did you manage to feed HD source to your LG (Iphone 4G)? More pictures and maybe a video would be nice!

Can you flip the picture upside down from the menu?
post #72 of 87 Old 07-29-2010, 03:16 AM

Hi habakoski - I posted an Rshare link to a raw format iphone 4 video that I took a few days ago on another thread... sorry... I haven't been checking this thread too often, but here's the link to my post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18943235

Cheers!
post #73 of 87 Old 07-30-2010, 11:40 AM

Hello friends!
I'm from Brazil and I have a friend who lives in London. Do you have a report of someone or even some of you already bought the projectorshop24? The situation is this: She will come on 10 or August 12 for Brazil, and could bring to me. If someone has bought it, could you tell me the payment methods? I asked a question by e-mail but got no response. I searched the world for Information hx300 and the best I found was here in this forum.

Thanks!

Sorry for my english
post #74 of 87 Old 08-10-2010, 01:05 AM

habakoski - you can see my raw iphone 4 footage of the HX300 in action on my new 100 inch, 1.0 gain, screen here:

(it's a rap**share link to the file, as it's 229MB in size)
post #75 of 87 Old 08-10-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston909 View Post

habakoski - you can see my raw iphone 4 footage of the HX300 in action on my new 100 inch, 1.0 gain, screen here:

(it's a rap**share link to the file, as it's 229MB in size)

Yes, I noticed that. Much appreciated! Thanks for the picture mirroring tip in PM also. LG HX300G seems like a very decent sub-hd projector. Gotta love the LED light source.
post #76 of 87 Old 08-12-2010, 01:51 AM

Bought one today, due to arrive tomorrow.

There are a number of suppliers in the uk that can be found by searching google shopping option.

Ebuyer do them for £483.66 with free super saving shipping
post #77 of 87 Old 08-12-2010, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Pablogreek,

I haven't noticed the Ebuyer offer.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=...300g&scoring=p

http://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/2204...cs-hx300g.html

However... (drum rolls)...

I HAVE GOT ONE NOW!!!!!!!!!

I just received it today at work. I haven't tested it yet. Since I am between houses right now, I'll probably just test it on a wall tonight.

I got it from http://www.crescentelectronics.co.uk...projector.html with next day delivery for about £494 (VAT and delivery included). Not bad at all!!!

Get one before the VAT increases.

I'll let you all know what I think of it once I had a chance to use it.

I'll try to assess it fairly against my memories of the following projectors: Sharp Z91, Z2000 and Z3000, Benq 6200 and Optoma HD70.

I already know that the resolution will not cut it against most of these machines, so I'll focus on overall picture quality, noise and convenience of use.

Nonetheless, I can already tell you that I like the packaging, the carrying case and how compact and beautiful the machine actually looks.
post #78 of 87 Old 08-12-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJo View Post

I already know that the resolution will not cut it against most of these machines, so I'll focus on overall picture quality, noise and convenience of use.

Looking forward to the review!
post #79 of 87 Old 08-12-2010, 11:26 PM

DrJo
I actually got my hx300g from crescent also but got the last one so suggested ebuyer for anyone wanting one a bit cheaper.

The only reason why I got it from them was because they were the only supplier that would give me a 3 year warranty on this projector and put it in writing on the invoice.

I had phoned about 6 suppliers in the UK and most told me it had a 1 yrar warranty, LG had no idea if they gave a 1 or 3 year warranty! every LG support person I spoke to gave me a different number as they dont seem to know.
............................................................ ...................

I played with it last night (the HX300g...) and my first impressions are that this is a great projector, very quiet in eco mode and definately bright enough for night time home cinema use!

I need to try out changing some of the colour settings as they dont look quite right out of the box.

I tried a few divx files and they play perfectly, but unfortunately all my .MKV 1080p videos (They looked fantastic!) threw up a message that "the audio is an unsupported format" which is a shame, looks like I will be hooking this up to my "WD TV Live HD" after all.

I will try it out again tonight and try to take some pics and write a better review.

It is worth noting that this projector doesn't get hot at all even after 4 hours use, just warm on one side.
post #80 of 87 Old 08-13-2010, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Pablogreek,

I also purchased from Crescent for the 3 year warranty.

I mostly agree with your assessment of this unit. I do have however a couple of complaints about my particular unit, which might be defective.

Here's my review:

I fed the projector a steady diet of AVI and Hi-Def MKV files, blu ray and DVDs.

All my viewing was made using a Shuttle XPC SN87SH7, with AMD Phenom II 940 (Quad core), 4 GB RAM, and a Radeon HD5670 connected through DVI.

OS used: Windows XP SP3 (fully updated) and display driver: Catalyst 10.7

I kept the native resolution at 60Hz (the projector accept 75Hz but with a massive amount of tearing on moving images)

The good stuff:

- On a small screen (80" and less), the unit is bright enough even in eco mode for night time viewing

- The colours are bold and saturated; they're absolutely stunning

- Very good black levels (I'm not picky in that department). It tends to crush blacks but that might be resolved with setting the dynamic contrast off. For all my viewing I used the standard setting, as the cinema setting tended towards red quite heavily.

- Very good geometry: no distortion noted (unlike my past Benq 6200)

- The unit is virtually silent in eco-mode, not so much in the other two modes (about as noisy as many of my past projectors in eco mode).
I'd say 28dB for normal mode and 31dB for the noisiest mode to be a fair assessment.

- Brilliant design: compact, interface well laid out and easy to navigate, USB port, and enough options to keep one busy optimising the picture (not that it needs to be)

- The unit remains relatively cool though the air coming out of the right side is very hot. The power brick however gets really hot.

The not so good stuff:

- Even with XGA, the resolution is low by today's standards. Once you get used to WXGA and full HD resolutions, it's hard to get back. Pixellation is muted compared to SVGA projectors but nonetheless present.

- Appalling scaling capabilities: Lower resolutions (i.e. SVGA) are fine, but as I increased the resolution up to 1920x1080, the PC desktop became increasingly blurry and unresolved up to the point of resembling a patchwork of colours. It's not quite as bad with movies, but compared to all my previous machines, this one is the poorest in the scaling department.

I did not have any upscaling DVD player or game consoles to try so I cannot comment on scaling performance using these sources.

- Limited picture setting options when using HDMI. Most of the options (dynamic contrast, colour gamut, ...) are blanked out and can't be changed with HDMI connection; at least from a PC as source.

- Rainbows: I did see some but it was not worse than those observed on 5x machines. So, a non-issue for most people. I tend to see them on all dlp machines; I got used to that fact.

Now, the really, really , really bad stuff

Once again, I think it's only plaguing my machine so far...

CHROMATIC ABERRATION

I know full well that no lens is perfect and that they are all plagued to some extent by chromatic aberration.

But this lens is really bad in that department. Let's imagine for a moment that even at native resolution, all black fonts on white background and folder icons on the desktop appear slightly smudged, due to a slight coloured trail surrounding them.

It is so bad that even with sharp focus, all images appear slightly out of focus or should I say kind of hazy and it is also impossible to get a perfectly focussed image corner to corner.

When the centre is well focussed, the edges are slightly out of focus and vice-versa.

Initially, I tought it might be due to the irregular surface of the wall I was projecting on, but I tried different surfaces (i.e. walls and pull up screen) and this effect remained quite strong.

Overall, the effect is amazingly annoying and I am taking steps to return the unit immediately based on that sole defect, which I never suffered from with any of my previous machines...

I'v had a look at the lens surface and it was clean and defect-free.

Talking of the lens, there is also a fair amount a circular light spill all around the projected image, but it's only noticeable in really dark scenes and on a white wall.

Really bad quality control here LG!!!

Overall a very good machine, provided that you feed it with its native resolution and that you're lucky enough not to get a dud of a lens.

Based on that machine (minus the lens problem), I can't wait for PJ manufacturers worldwide to get off their lazy bums and offer us some affordable Hi-Def LED projectors in the coming years.

Though I'm not too impressed by LG's effort (mainly due to what I consider an iffy quality control on their lenses), I must congratulate Luminus for their amazing light source. I hope they keep developing new LED chips for home projection systems or at least make the existing ones more affordable to rid the world of traditional light bulbs once and for all.

That's it.

I hope this helps.
post #81 of 87 Old 08-13-2010, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
DrJo >>> Based on my eight month experience of using daily an LG HS-201 i would say that the chromatic abberation problems you described must be due to a deffective lens; Right now as i'm typing, i'm sitting the usual 15 inches from my monitor's screen as well as about 5 feet away from my 76" diagonal screen and both are displaying the same laptop image from my computer; If anything, the black fonts as well as everything else onscreen appear sharper on that 76" screen than on my LCD monitor !...And please don't chastise me for what should be obvious visual differences between 800x600 and 1024x768 pixels, i'm just reporting what my eyes see.
In fact that was one of my initial observations of the HS-201, how extremely razor-sharp fonts appear as projected by the pj after some careful focusing, a welcome surprise that i wasn't expecting.
Perhaps your HX300G was damaged during shipment or was i just very lucky with the HS-201 i got ?
I'll find out very soon, as my HX300G should arrive within three days...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcos
post #82 of 87 Old 08-13-2010, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Hi MCaugusto,

The experience you described with your HS201 was exactly what I was expecting from the HX300G, since I have experienced razor-sharp images from all my past DLP projectors.

I was very disappointed not to get this level of detail from the HX300G and the shop seems very reluctant to believe my issue is genuine and to do something about it.

If I knew there were massive stocks of HX300G, I would be inclined to do a swap with another machine, but since I know they are very rare at the moment, I prefer a refund.

I've got a bad feeling that the shop will not play game as they should legally do within the first seven days of purchase, especially with a slightly defective unit.

I'll find out soon enough (fingers crossed)!
post #83 of 87 Old 08-13-2010, 09:58 PM

DrJo

I am sorry to hear about your issues with the HX300g lens.
I have to say that I got lucky and my unit appears to focus as it should.

The scaling on the HX300G is terrible... I input a very good quality 1080p 60Hz signal with my "western Digital TV Live HD" media player box, fantastic quality output from 1080p or 720p .mkv files. (I wish the built in media player was as good as this!)

When I use hdmi from this source I can change any setting in the picture menu and believe me there is a lot that needs changing colour wise.

For my tests I used Avatar (not the best film but it looks very nice!)
After a bit of tweaking the image looked fantastic but I need to spend more time playing with the settings

I have owned a number of projectors and this is a very good attempt by LG to move to LED and I am looking forward to brighter and better resolution projectors in the next 3 years or so.

I would definately push for a refund if you are having lens issues.
Let us know how they resolve this.
post #84 of 87 Old 08-18-2010, 01:34 PM

Those of you out there who have ordered and received the hx300, could you post pictures and give an opinion on the projector for movies
post #85 of 87 Old 08-20-2010, 01:24 AM

I haven't had a chance to take any decent pics yet but this projector is very good for movies on my 84" screen. You will need to play with all of th picture settings though to get a good picture with the correct colours.

Using the built in USB divx feature of the projector is also convenient if you travel a lot with it and dont want to carry a laptop.

I watched a 1080p .mkv Avatar through the projector and it looked good (although it looked better when I used the western digital TV live HD to do all the scaling)

The FM transmitter feature is not powerful enough! for me the range is 1m no matter what frequency I use.

If watching on a smaller screen you can get away with eco or standard brightness but I like the presentation mode for good quality video 720p and above as it looks crisp and clear.
post #86 of 87 Old 08-20-2010, 12:41 PM

Pablogreek, how do you get the WDTV Live to do the scaling. Is there a setting for output via HDMI that can reduce the resolution of 1080p down to the resolution that the hx300 can output?
post #87 of 87 Old 08-26-2010, 02:57 PM

yes you can select the desired resolution
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page