AX200u 24hz vs 60hz on HTPC - can't tell difference - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-08-2010, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I'm feeling like I'm definitely doing something wrong here...

I bought a Panasonic PT AX200U, that can accept and display 24hz content. I have a PC with Blu Ray and an ATI 5770. I have it set to 1920x1080 at 24hz, sent to my projector VIA a cheap 8 foot HDMI cable.

I can't tell any difference between having it set to 60 hz and having it set to 24hz though, and I'm quite distraught about this. The Panny displays the current signal in the menu and it confirms the switch between 60 and 24 hertz, but it doesn't look that different.

I was kind of hoping that things would remain very clear (i.e. people walking across a scene, panning scenes, and things like that), but even in credits it doesn't seem to make a difference.

What could I be doing wrong? Are there any known settings in Catalyst Control Center, PowerDVD 8, or Windows that can be messing this up? Should I get a standalone blu-ray player/would that make the difference?

Or (worst fear), is the problem my projector (which accepts 24hz and supposedly displays them at 48hz... or could it be motion blur?)?

Thanks a ton in advance everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-08-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Some people see a judder or a flicker on film content when shown at 60Hz. Film frame rate is 24fps and how Blu-ray is encoded. People would prefer to have 24 fps output to avoid this flicker or judder. Nothing wrong with your projector. Be glad you don't see a difference and don't look for it or you'll go crazy worrying about it, enjoy your new projector.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

I can see a sometimes rather startling difference on sets at Best Buy (albeit the 1 or 2 out of dozens that are actually set up right). Can you recommend a couple different movies and which scenes to look for that might showcase this to put my mind at ease? Or am I just going to drive my self mad/should I just get a standalone player?

Haha thanks for the expertise and advice!
post #4 of 5 Old 07-09-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
120hz and a flavor of motionflow is what you are seeing at Best Buy. You don't have it and you won't get that effect with your current display.

Now, take some comfort in the fact that many people tire of the MotionFlow effect and turn it off eventually.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-11-2010, 11:40 PM

I looked into using an HTPC as a blu-ray player this year, but at the time none of the software programs used to play blu-rays was able to output 24p. That may be why your not seeing a difference. A tell tale sign of whether its working or not is if you can see scolling credits flicker. When viewing true 24p you should see a pronounced flicker. I have the same projector as you, and I can see the flicker at the end credits even with the frame doubling that the projector does (which by the way is essentially what film projectors do too).
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page