My Epson 8500UB bulb just exploded after 6 months (872 hours)! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 61 Old 09-18-2010, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone who has experienced lamp issues, or if you haven't please post or fallow this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1277578
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 Old 12-13-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseynaev View Post

Replacement 8500ub came this afternoon. Back up and running

I hope this one works out better.

Nope. 451 hours later and I just lost another bulb (third bulb in 1 year). At least Epson is standing behind their product and sending out another new unit.
post #33 of 61 Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, that sucks to hear. I really wish I would have waited to buy my 6500UB now. I've had it for a year and a half and have something like 200 hours on it. I suppose I should use the crap out of it for the next six months... But I'm sure it will have an issue shortly after the warranty expires.

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #34 of 61 Old 12-15-2010, 11:09 AM

I have seen posts on this thread with nearly identical circumstances as mine. In an effort to higlight the issue I'll share my experiece as well.

1st bulb begins to dim until finally unviewable. Epson sent me a new bulb, but it was the wrong bulb so they had to send me another one. They also told me they would send me a return shipping label to return the incorrect bulb, but never did send the label.

2nd bulb just simply stopped working at approx 600-800 hrs with the red lamp light flashing on the projector. It seems like the brightness had dimished slighly a few days prior, but since it was so slight I'm not certain. Epson is shipping me a 3rd bulb now.

In prior posts I've read that Epson replaced the entire projector. I asked them about this and they said if the 3rd bulb burns out then they will replace it. So if bulb #3 last more than a year then I'm out of warranty and out of luck.

I also have these weird red shimmering bars whenever there are solid reds, as well as orangish shimmering highlights on skin tones. I can live with this, but it gets annoying at times.

My projector is mounted on the wall in store room temp 60-70 Fahrenheit. Very clean, very cool, plenty of ventilation.
post #35 of 61 Old 01-06-2011, 03:46 PM

Hello everyone. First time poster!

I own an 8500UB EPSON - bought it about 9 months ago. First bulb lasted 767 hours. Epson Tech support overnighted me a new bulb. Second bulb I estimate at 400 hours - couldn't look at because EPSON Tech overnighted me a new projector (well, I guess I could have swapped the bulbs, but I didn't want to take ANY chances at that point).

Third bulb burned out today (this is on my second projector, mind you!). Understandably, I am teed off at this point. I called a buddy who has an Optima - he is on his first bulb - what is the deal with EPSON?

Needless to type, I called EPSON. First thing is their technical support is the best. On all of these calls, they are quick to determine the issue, maybe have me try something, and go out of their way to fix the problem. Hands down, GREAT Technical Support!

Long story short: there was a manufacturing defect with the past bulbs. They figured this out around Nov 2010 and recalled from stores those bulbs. They are overnighting me a new bulb and claim it will last 4,000 hours, as these are being manfactured correctly, since they switched companies for the bad part. Even mentioned that if I went to a store to buy one, I might get an older bulb, so he didn't tell me not to go buy one, but I am just going to wait. I figure when I break 1,000 hours, I will go buy a new bulb again - maybe even right from EPSON, so I know I get a good one.

So, while my projector has been high maintenance, I still give EPSON an A+ for service, and I have to tell you that the thing works great - just been a rash of bad bulbs, but it sounds like they have solved that problem. When I break 2,000 hours on the new bulb, I will re-post, I promise!

Have a good one. Dang - wish I could watch TV right now . . . . heheeheheheee
post #36 of 61 Old 01-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Vick here - second time poster. Hehehehe

Forgot to mention - third bulb lasted 1022 hours.
post #37 of 61 Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I remember when the 4000 hour lamps came out, they were cited as a great economical reason to buy Epson - because of their astoundingly long life!
post #38 of 61 Old 01-15-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Searched this thread because of an issue I just discovered. Last night I noticied that the picture looked a little dim on my 8500 UB. I thought maybe it was just my imagination since I was a little tired, but I checked the hours anyway - 681. Today when I tried to turn it on - nothing... then the red lamp bulb began to flash. I'm encouraged by what I've read on Epson tech support. I hope my experience is as good, but I guess I'll find out on Monday.

Regards,
David

My Home Theater
post #39 of 61 Old 01-18-2011, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Yesterday, I called Epson Tech Support. I got right through (no hold-time) and spoke to a person (no maze of prompts). She spoke perfect English, but with a bit of an accent, so I suspect it may have been a call center. She took all of my information, asked me to try re-seating the lamp while we were on the phone. When that didnt' fix the problem, she sent me to another person to authorize replacing my lamp. This guy was obviously in (or from) the U.S. - He simply confimed my issue, confirmed my home address, and told me that they would overnight me a lamp so I would have it today. He told me there would be a postage paid return label to send back the bad lamp.

No fuss, no mess. That's what I call great customer service.

Regards,
David

My Home Theater
post #40 of 61 Old 01-19-2011, 05:05 PM

Liked: 11
Glad to hear Epson support is good. I own an 8500 but we only use it occasionally. It was bought Dec 2010. If there is a problem with the manufacturing process of the bulb, I wonder if I should call support to see if they will replace my working bulb? We probably won't reach the 600-800 hours mark for another year or so. At that point, I'm sure they won't replace the defect bulb. It's a bummer to hear so many people having problems with bulbs.
post #41 of 61 Old 02-08-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Larkins View Post

Searched this thread because of an issue I just discovered. Last night I noticied that the picture looked a little dim on my 8500 UB. I thought maybe it was just my imagination since I was a little tired, but I checked the hours anyway - 681. Today when I tried to turn it on - nothing... then the red lamp bulb began to flash. I'm encouraged by what I've read on Epson tech support. I hope my experience is as good, but I guess I'll find out on Monday.

Just a word of warning and I know very little on the subject but I have recently read a thread where someone possibly received an 8500ub with limited features over the original. I didn't buy it at first but two more ppl had a similar complaint later on in the thread. Epson policy is to send you a new(refurbished) projector--or at least so it seems--if the bulb goes out prematurely twice. If they are indeed replacing them with substandard models I would be concerned about allowing them to send me another one. And besides, after much research I can tell you that I am of the opinion that the problem is either fundamental to all 8500ub models or to the bulb itself. I am on bulb number 5 and I have 11mo left on a two yr warranty.

*edit*
I have read a bit further in this forum and it seems as if there is a possibility that Epson has altered the manufacturing process of the lamp or lamp design to extend the life of the bulb. This could indicate they have changed their policy and also mean that you may not suffer a premature failure in the future and even need a replacement unit. Only time will tell.
post #42 of 61 Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatone666 View Post

Just a word of warning and I know very little on the subject but I have recently read a thread where someone possibly received an 8500ub with limited features over the original. I didn't buy it at first but two more ppl had a similar complaint later on in the thread. Epson policy is to send you a new(refurbished) projector--or at least so it seems--if the bulb goes out prematurely twice. If they are indeed replacing them with substandard models I would be concerned about allowing them to send me another one. And besides, after much research I can tell you that I am of the opinion that the problem is either fundamental to all 8500ub models or to the bulb itself. I am on bulb number 5 and I have 11mo left on a two yr warranty.

*edit*
I have read a bit further in this forum and it seems as if there is a possibility that Epson has altered the manufacturing process of the lamp or lamp design to extend the life of the bulb. This could indicate they have changed their policy and also mean that you may not suffer a premature failure in the future and even need a replacement unit. Only time will tell.

It looks like some people that got replacement 8500UB's received 8500UB cases with 6100 guts.
post #43 of 61 Old 02-09-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatone666 View Post

This could indicate they have changed their policy and also mean that you may not suffer a premature failure in the future and even need a replacement unit. Only time will tell.

Indeed, only time will tell. As of now, all I can tell you is that I got great customer service, and my projector was back up and running as good as new in less than 36 hours after my phone call.

Regards,
David

My Home Theater
post #44 of 61 Old 05-04-2011, 04:30 AM

The bulb on my 8500ub exploded last night with about 490 hours showing on the timer. The image brightness and color saturation had decreased drastically for the last 20 hours or so. I didn't believe the 4000 hour life estimates in the press releases, so I bought a spare when I put the projector in service 9 months ago. I will call Epson to see what they will do.
post #45 of 61 Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcuin48 View Post

The bulb on my 8500ub exploded last night with about 490 hours showing on the timer

this is a damn shame, un-acceptable. Is local environment a factor in regards to this behavior? Average ambient room temperature too high?
post #46 of 61 Old 06-25-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Replacement 8500ub came this afternoon. Back up and running

I hope this one works out better.

Nope. 451 hours later and I just lost another bulb (third bulb in 1 year). At least Epson is standing behind their product and sending out another new unit.

There goes another bulb. This time it shattered. Hours were around 750. Checked and saw it was from China. Epson Tech Support is closed right now - will call on Monday.
post #47 of 61 Old 06-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just got my new bulb after 1185 hrs and the new one was overnighted. The new one was also made in china as well. But heres to hoping it lasts

post #48 of 61 Old 06-29-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post

Just got my new bulb after 1185 hrs and the new one was overnighted. The new one was also made in china as well. But heres to hoping it lasts

I just received mine as well. Also from China. I hope they fixed their manufacturing problem.
post #49 of 61 Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM

OK - another dead bulb at 841 hours. Epson Support acknowledged there was a builb issue but it has been fixed. We will see. Of course my 2 year warranty period expires this month
post #50 of 61 Old 01-19-2012, 11:09 PM

I've had nothing but trouble with my Epson 8500UB too. It's been replaced 4 times. It started out with a short lamp life, so they replaced the lamp. The second lamp also died early, so they replaced the projector. New projector had a hot spot that the original did not have. I was going to live with it until the 2nd projector developed the red bleeding edge problem, so replaced when bulb died of short life. 3rd projector had same hot spot, a short lamp life, and developed an annoying fan noise, so was replaced. I'm on my 4th now, still have the hot spot, and the bulb is very dim at only 459 hours.

Their tech support is great and all, but shesh, talk about a lemon.

It's a ceiling mount, in a house in northern California (read: mild weather). Plenty of ventilation. I've tried everything to baby these things too... universal power supply to condition the power going into it, have it on an auto timer to switch off once the screen saver turns on (In case I walk away and forget to turn it off), and even set the device to "high altitude" mode to drive the cooling fans harder (even though I'm at sea level), but a lot of good all that did me.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm running the device for too long in any one sitting, but their manual mentions nothing about what is "normal" for this home projector, and if there was an issue, one would think it would shut off on its own, no?? I have yet to have a bulb last 1/4 the rated value, and did not have this issue with the two previous projectors that ran under similar conditions.
post #51 of 61 Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Of course my 2 year warranty period expires this month

You may consider having them replace the unit as they will then have to honor the replacement unit warranty instead. I originally purchased mine on 12/2009 and the're still covering it.

Btw, the bulb finally popped at 464 hours. They're shipping me out a replacement bulb. I'm still on the fence about whether or not I should be happy about these troubles... I haven't had to purchase a replacement bulb in two years.
post #52 of 61 Old 01-21-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
It pretty much evens out in the long run as long as they keep replacing the defective bulbs, even if you have the projector 4 years or more.

I calculated the cost once, you'd need to be a real heavy user for it to work against you even after several years of buying the bulbs since you get 2 years worth of free bulbs essentially.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #53 of 61 Old 01-22-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generic_user View Post

You may consider having them replace the unit as they will then have to honor the replacement unit warranty instead. I originally purchased mine on 12/2009 and the're still covering it.

Btw, the bulb finally popped at 464 hours. They're shipping me out a replacement bulb. I'm still on the fence about whether or not I should be happy about these troubles... I haven't had to purchase a replacement bulb in two years.

After talking with Epson about all my troubles and my concerns since the warrant was almost gone, they agreed to extend my warranty for another 6 months to make sure the bulb issue was resolved. Epson also gave me an additional spare bulb as well.. Hopefully this will cover me for a while.
post #54 of 61 Old 02-19-2012, 05:07 PM

I have and Epson 6100 since June 2009
First lamp lasted 400 hours
Replaced by Epson (excellent customer service)
Second one, made in Japan, 800 hours
Few days ago the lamp is gone again and this time went very fast
Just the time to check how many hours, dimmed down and then it was gone for good
Again I had the lamp replaced by Epson for free, the next day
It is made in China but I hope it will last enough because I do not want to buy a lamp for 300$
and have it gone in the recycling bin after a short life span
The Tech I talked to told me that this one is going to last longer because it has been improved and they are aware of bad lamps around...
I really hope so
Anyone heard about those improvements?
post #55 of 61 Old 02-20-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbel View Post

Anyone heard about those improvements?

I spoke to Epson a few days ago on that very topic. I had called because I thought my current bulb was going bad (it wasn't dim but there was flesh tone banding). The response was pretty vague as far as when the "better" bulbs were introduced. The overall impression was one of Epson hedging their bets.

I stressed my concern that the issue was not with bulbs alone but something with design of the projector and this was a problem even if they extended the bulb warranty to match the warranty of the projector.

For sure I don't have a good feeling about this. I am still working with them on the issue with flesh tones (when there is motion).
post #56 of 61 Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 PM

Liked: 11
I recently purchased a refurbed-8100 and have not even finished setting this thing up yet and started to smell a strong burning smell like wax and electrical heat - it actually smelled like a melting crayon...it started on the second day I was using the projector and largely dissipated on the third day...although I could still feel a lot of heat being blown out the front vents and could still detect the residual smell at first and then it stopped. I also noticed that the exterior casing is warm-to-hot to the touch on the side opposite the lens (since my unit is ceiling mounted this is the "right side" when standing underneath it, but if the unit is removed from the ceiling and placed flat, it is the "left side" when looking directly at the unit right-side up.

Due to my rather insane schedule I won't have much of a chance to even look at the projector until Thursday or Friday...but I am going to try to get a hold of Epson and Projector People to let them know I may be facing an issue here with a unit that has less than 35 hours of total use.

Are you the kind of person who believes in miracles or do you believe that people just get lucky?
post #57 of 61 Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 PM

Back again. Another failed bulb, this time at 830 hours. Thankfully this one didn't explode. When looking at the bulb, it is clear this is a temperature issue since the "element" is sagging as if it got hot enough to soften the glass, and gravity did the rest.

Here's a picture:

Now, understanding that the projector is mounted to the ceiling, you should be able to see how the element is pointing towards the handle instead of sticking straight out.

Note that the bulb is dated 09/21/2011 so they can't use that "bad batch of bulbs" cop-out anymore.

So to summarize:

At sea level.
Ambient Temperature maxes at maybe 85 degrees Fahrenheit (Northern California, near foggy San Francisco).
"High Altitude" mode, while driving the fans harder, had no effect on bulb life.

When I called this time, I got the "your projector is out of warranty" response... I said, yeah the original one maybe... it's been replaced 3 times... finally I got back a "well, we'll ship you /one/ more bulb." :/

One silver lining is that there may be a "service" mode I can put the projector in where I may be able to adjust various things like fan shutoff timers, and maybe even set the rpms of the fans. I wonder if there is temperature info...
post #58 of 61 Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by generic_user View Post

Back again. Another failed bulb, this time at 830 hours. Thankfully this one didn't explode. When looking at the bulb, it is clear this is a temperature issue since the "element" is sagging as if it got hot enough to soften the glass, and gravity did the rest.
Here's a picture:

Now, understanding that the projector is mounted to the ceiling, you should be able to see how the element is pointing towards the handle instead of sticking straight out.
Note that the bulb is dated 09/21/2011 so they can't use that "bad batch of bulbs" cop-out anymore.
So to summarize:
At sea level.
Ambient Temperature maxes at maybe 85 degrees Fahrenheit (Northern California, near foggy San Francisco).
"High Altitude" mode, while driving the fans harder, had no effect on bulb life.
When I called this time, I got the "your projector is out of warranty" response... I said, yeah the original one maybe... it's been replaced 3 times... finally I got back a "well, we'll ship you /one/ more bulb." :/
One silver lining is that there may be a "service" mode I can put the projector in where I may be able to adjust various things like fan shutoff timers, and maybe even set the rpms of the fans. I wonder if there is temperature info...

Great picture.

I have an 8700UB but run it in high altitude mode in Los Angeles anyway. My own theory is that the fans shut off MUCH too early on power down. This causes heat soak on the lamp,
and the rest is history. I still have a few older projectors and they ALL run the fans much longer to cool down the unit/lamp. Many as much as 2 minutes.

I really want to see a firmware fix to extend the cool down time. What were they thinking???

Marc

Welcome to the darkside.....
post #59 of 61 Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 PM

Back to post an update on my 8500UB.

3/15/2010 Purchased.
Approx 6/2010, first bulb burns out with 767 hours. EPSON sends replacement bulb.
9/1/2010 - second bulb burns out with approx 400 hours on it. EPSON sends refurbushed projector.
1/5/2011 - third bulb (now in refurbished projector) goes out with 1022 hours on it.
EPSON claims there was a manufacturing defect that is now solved.
9/15/2011 - fourth bulb burns out after 1785 hours - halfway to the stated 4000!
7/20/2012 - fifth bulb burns out after 1405 hours. I am now out of warrantee, so pay $300 something for a new bulb.
9/15/2012 - sixth bulb is showing massive red shift in image. EPSON customer service is all gone - they think the unit is now defective, and that my recently purchased bulb is still fine! Had I any idea that the EPSON bulbs would only last 1,000 hours, I would have never purchased from this company.

I think I am done with EPSON. My average bulb life has been 1,018.5 hours - much less than the stated 4,000 hours. 1 or 2 bulbs is a fluke, but I am on #6 - this is clearly a pattern.

Next step is to send unit off to third party for repair - and see what comes of that. I think I may be the proud owner of a $2,500 paper weight!

I have to say, that under warrantee, EPSON was very good - it just never occurred to me that once the original warrantee was done, I would be totally on my own. Now I am looking at $300 bulbs every 5 months, and potentially my first repair bill at 30 months of ownership. Not impressed over here . . . I would be SHOCKED if anyone ever got 4000 hours from these bulbs. What is the deal?

So probably going to do some more research on projectors and find another brand that is somewhat reasonable. Really like having a giant screen for watching sports and movies now!
post #60 of 61 Old 09-16-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

Great picture.
I have an 8700UB but run it in high altitude mode in Los Angeles anyway. My own theory is that the fans shut off MUCH too early on power down. This causes heat soak on the lamp,
and the rest is history. I still have a few older projectors and they ALL run the fans much longer to cool down the unit/lamp. Many as much as 2 minutes.
I really want to see a firmware fix to extend the cool down time. What were they thinking???
Marc

It is unlikely that is the issue, usually it is related to the electrical properties of how the PJ runs the bulb and the quality of the bulbs. It could be heat related, but if it were it is probably unrelated to the cooling off period.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page