My Epson 8500UB bulb just exploded after 6 months (872 hours)! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 61 Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Back to post an update on my EPSON 8500UB.

3/15/2010 Purchased.
Approx 6/2010, first bulb burns out with 767 hours. EPSON sends replacement bulb.
9/1/2010 - second bulb burns out with approx 400 hours on it. EPSON sends refurbushed projector.
1/5/2011 - third bulb (now in refurbished projector) goes out with 1022 hours on it.
EPSON claims there was a manufacturing defect that is now solved.
9/15/2011 - fourth bulb burns out after 1785 hours - halfway to the stated 4000!
7/20/2012 - fifth bulb burns out after 1405 hours. I am now out of warrantee, so pay $300 something for a new bulb.
9/15/2012 - sixth bulb is showing massive red shift in image. EPSON customer service is all gone - they think the unit is now defective, and that my recently purchased bulb is still fine! Had I any idea that the EPSON bulbs would only last 1,000 hours, I would have never purchased from this company.
12/5/2012 - sixth bulb blows out with 893 hours (yeah - I looked within 30 minutes of it blowin!)

At this point, I AM DONE with EPSON. My average bulb life has been 1,045 hours - much less than the stated "UP TO 4,000" hours (the quotes indicate what their techinal support pointed out to me - they don't gaurantee anything - you could just get up to 4,000 hours.) I guess they ought to just print "up to infinite hours (depending on usage)." 1 or 2 bulbs is a fluke, but I been through 6 in two and a half years - this IS a pattern.

Looks like the bulb cost to run this projector is $544 a year, with a variance in bulb life between 400 and 1,800 hours. Not even easy to plan to have a replacement on hand, you know? 24 cents an hour to operate, assuming a $250 bulb. Crimeny - it might be cheaper to just buy a new EPSON and let them replace the bubls for two more years. Can you get a 5 year warrantee on these things? I bet not.

So I am off to look for a new projector. Anybody want to buy a used EPSON 8500UB with a blown out bulb? CHEAP!

I will be back and post any further adventures in the projector world. Pretty used to the 180 inch screen (or whatever it is) now - basement is all set with surround sound, new receiver, etc. *sigh* To think I spent so much time picking out this particular EPSON model and here I sit AGAIN with no home theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page