Mount Peerless vs Chief? my monoprice mount is junk - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a ceiling mount from monoprice, the 44lb max one because it had only about a 4-5in drop from the ceiling but I'm not very happy with it. A bunch of the screws stripped out,i have spent almost as much money at home depot buying replacement hardware then I did for the actual mount. Making adjustments with my projector is a nightmare and I have a benq w1000 and its only 7.5lbs. I loosen the screws and place it correctly then when I tighten the mount it moves the projector and its way off,i got it fairly close but it still looks bad and I'm sick of messing with it.

I have narrowed my choices down to these two. Which one would be the easiest to make adjustments? I'm thinking the peerless because you just turn a screw and that makes the adjustment. But how does the chief work? Loosen and move the projector into place then tighten like the current monoprice one I have? With my benq w1000 its way off balance when the mount is connected to it(most of the mounting screws are on 1 side not the center), is that normal for any projector?

Both look to be close to flush mounting less then 5in drop which is what i need.

Peerless
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Precisio...dp/B000TXNS6G/

Chief
http://www.amazon.com/Chief-RPA-U-In...dp/B000BVOP6I/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i have the chief and love it. quality construction. there are set screws that you loosen to make fine adjustments once it is on the mount.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbye05 View Post

i have the chief and love it. quality construction. there are set screws that you loosen to make fine adjustments once it is on the mount.

For the fine adjustments it sounds similar to what i have now. But on the one i have now when i place the projector where i want it and tighten the screw it will move the projector so i have to over compensate where i want it and then when i tighten it i hope that when it moves it gets close to where i want it. Is the chief more precise then that or will i come across the same problems?
post #4 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
that does not happen with the chief at all
post #5 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm probably gonna end up with the chief because I can use the lateral shift plate to move the projector over a few inches to line it up correctly. ( I know I need to order that piece separately)

With the chief is everything included to install it with flush mount, including the lag bolts for the ceiling?
post #6 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 11:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by abshard View Post

I think I'm probably gonna end up with the chief because I can use the lateral shift plate to move the projector over a few inches to line it up correctly. ( I know I need to order that piece separately)

With the chief is everything included to install it with flush mount, including the lag bolts for the ceiling?

There are no lag bolts included, but there is an assortment of projector mounting screws of various sizes. I'm not sure what a lateral shift plate is, but the adjustable arms will give you a lot of flexibility with mounting location (maybe not a few inches though). FYI the RPA-U puts the lens centerline of my pj (HD20) about 5" below the ceiling. It's a good mount, rock solid.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-26-2010, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechbeav View Post

There are no lag bolts included, but there is an assortment of projector mounting screws of various sizes. I'm not sure what a lateral shift plate is, but the adjustable arms will give you a lot of flexibility with mounting location (maybe not a few inches though). FYI the RPA-U puts the lens centerline of my pj (HD20) about 5" below the ceiling. It's a good mount, rock solid.

here is the lateral shift mount,it allows 3in of left or right shift and up to 5in if the projector is less then 15lbs

http://www.mountsandmore.com/Chief-M...00-CF1068.html

reason i need it is i have to mount the projector a few inches from center because of where my ceiling joists are and where the screen is mounted,with the current monoprice mount i had to angle the projector towards the screen slightly with this piece hopfully it will correct that problem.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-28-2010, 03:42 PM

I have personally always used Peerless and have nothing but the best to say about their products and their company. However, they do not have the mounting accesories that Chief offers in my opinion. Peerless is great for a simple straight on hang and bang, but Chief is better when you run in to all those "problems" that you never really compensate for like a non supportive mounting area. Which I have ran in to many times myself.

Whatever one you choose to go with make sure to shop around. Margins are way too high in mounts
post #9 of 15 Old 07-28-2010, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

completely different mount, but I bought from mountdirect and had quick shipping and no weird issues, FWIW.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbye05 View Post

+1 on the Chief. It is a high quality mount that is easy to install. What I like about it is when I need to take the projector down for cleaning or replacing a bulb, it takes about 5 minutes to unmount it. I have had my proj. down two times for various things and when I remount it, never needs adjusting. If I were to describe the Chief in on word it would be Precision.

Good luck,

Henry
post #11 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

I just received my rpa-u (still waiting for the lateral shift plate)

If I flush mount this, the only way to adjust yaw is with the 4 lag bolts I used to secure it to the ceiling? According to the manual its only showing yaw adjustment by using a 1 1/2 pipe.

If i need to adjust the yaw by the 4 lag bolts,thats gonna be pretty tough with the projector mounted to the mount. Well actually i think its impossible to do that with the projector mounted.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 04:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by abshard View Post

I just received my rpa-u (still waiting for the lateral shift plate)

If I flush mount this, the only way to adjust yaw is with the 4 lag bolts I used to secure it to the ceiling? According to the manual its only showing yaw adjustment by using a 1 1/2 pipe.

If i need to adjust the yaw by the 4 lag bolts,thats gonna be pretty tough with the projector mounted to the mount. Well actually i think its impossible to do that with the projector mounted.

That is correct - if you are not using a pipe, the only way to adjust yaw is via the lag bolt slots.

If you tighten the bolts just enough that they resist motion, but the mount will turn if you twist hard enough, you can adjust yaw with the projector in place. (This may be more difficult with larger LCD projectors). I was able to do it with a good amount of precision.

At some point, you can remove the projector and tighten the bolts fully. Or, as in my case, just leave it be. The four lag bolts are big enough and tight enough that the the projector won't move unless I get on a ladder and twist the mount with considerable force.

Edit: use the largest lag bolts possible, which I believe are #10 imperial or 5mm metric, and use flat washers to help keep yaw adjustment smooth.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 PM

I agree with mechbeav. Unless you are going to have your projector in a place where it could be tempered with. There is really no need to force down the bolts as hard as you can. Plus, putting too much torque on the bolts or pressure in the studs can result in bad news. You also have the sheer weight of the projector pulling straight down on the bolts so its resistance to move is at a maximum.

If you want them tight though. Just keep them loose enough to turn. Get it squared away. Then mark your mount alignment with a pencil. Take the projector down. Then tighten to your reference lines you made. Then crank her down nice and tight. Good Luck!
post #14 of 15 Old 07-29-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice

I figured that's probably what I was gonna have to try,i should have the lateral shift plate on Monday then I can start installing it.

I currently have a monoprice mount in the ceiling with a 4in X 4in bolt pattern, half in a joist and the other half in drywall with some pretty heavy duty anchors

Problem is the holes for the anchors are pretty big and the new bolt pattern is not gonna match up,i will have to end up patching the old holes

I'm thinking I should move the projector closer to the screen by 6in maybe because the drywall will become weaker if I add 2 new large holes near the current ones. Does that make sense or will I have no problem mounting the new mount near where the old one was?
post #15 of 15 Old 07-30-2010, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Here is my Chief mount setup and my DIY lateral adjustment. The mounts are rock solid once locked in place.

I had a similar problem with ceiling joist locations, and having lateral adjustment makes the whole process much easier to do.

Bud

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP