Anyone use Apex Lamps for projector bulbs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been considering milking out another year or two on my old projector, a Yamaha LPX-500, and purchasing a new bulb for it. I found a reasonably priced source at a place called Apex Lamps, and am curious if anyone has some feedback on these guys. Considering the price of a Panasonic AE4000u, I debate the virtue of sinking any money into my old projector, but still haven't made my mind up on this, as the Yamaha still looks pretty nice - even if it is only 720p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-17-2010, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't mean to bump an old(ish) thread, but we have the same projector and are in the EXACT same position! Can't help you with the Apex bit, but I'm looking at the Epson PowerLite 8100 and maybe the Panasonic AE4000.

If you feel like dismantling and replacing your lamp, we used the website myprojectorlamps a year ago for $255:

The bulb lasted MAYBE 1200 hours till it blew... so it is an option, but not a great one. I cannot comment on the quality as I was not around much while it was in use. From what little I did see I didn't notice a significant difference in picture quality, but I really wasn't looking.

Right now we put the original lamp back in which is barely cutting it and I'd wager has 3000+ hours on it! Not enjoying the picture quality at all, its pretty dim.

I'm curious to see what you ended up doing. We are leaning towards getting a new projector but are waiting to see what happens after the CEDIA conference coming up in September. Good luck!
post #3 of 3 Old 08-20-2010, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Actually, I havent made a decision yet. I keep going back and forth on it. My current bulb has around 2200 hours on it. It may be a bit dim, but not so much that it noticably detracts from the viewing experience. I won't know how dim it really is (or isn't) until a new bulb goes in. I've heard similar comments on bulb replacements or off-brand bulbs not lasting long, so I would definitely stick with a Yamaha replacement. Given that I still think the projector offers a very nice picture I've just never really felt that compelled to update the piece. I would have to go through the process of tearing down and installing a new ceiling mount along with the new projector, and have even had people tell me that the difference between 720p and 1080p isn't HUGE...nor as significant as going from 480p to 720p. I don't know...I've really been considering keeping it for another year or two. That being said, I also am hard pressed to put too much money into it...money that could go towards purchase of a new projector. I'm also sure I would be loving a new projector, and certainly wouldn't regret the purchase. It's likely I probably would even by saying "why did I wait so long"

At any rate, if you do get a bulb, that Apex Lamps company seems to offer the best price; $399. Yamaha sells them for $600, but then I talked to a local Yamaha dealer who said they could sell me one for $500. This was better, but still on the edge of a "better to put money into a new projector" conclusion. A price of $399 does get me closer to considering a new bulb. I still want to absolutely confirm that they are selling the actual Yamaha PJL-5015 replacement part though.

I guess I should make up my mind sometime soon. I'm curious what you may decide to do as well.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP