Please Identify this problem with PT-AE900u - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-24-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My panasonic projector recently had trouble and I replaced the lamp thinking it was going out. I guessed wrong. I've taken a picture to help show what I'm seeing. You can see the movie but overlayed is a series of red bars in small groups of 6-10. I didn't count exactly. Does anyone know what kind of problem this is? Can it be fixed relatively cheaply?

Also as an aside the lamp looked strange on the bottom. I thought at first is was a defect because I could see into the lamp itself. The bottom was missing for lack of a better description. It was neatly missing though like the glass was cast that way. So i decided it was worth trying. The picture shows that the lamp does work. It had red bars with the old lens so I think the new lens is o.k.

thanks,
Jeff
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-25-2010, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

It looks like the ribbon cable that connects the main board to the red LCD panel is either not properly seated, or bad. Assuming you feel comfortable doing this, open up the case you'll see the main board (looks like a motherboard in a PC), with 3 cables connected to it - one for each color, red, green and blue. Make sure the connection between the ribbon cable for the red LCD and the main board is snug. Since it doesn't sound like you've opened up your projector before, you may want to search for and review the AE900 threads on AVS - I'm not sure which thread they're in, but there are pictures of the inside of the projector, as well as a detailed breakdown of what not to do while you're in there fiddling around. Good luck and keep us posted!
post #3 of 5 Old 08-26-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

appreciate the suggestion. I'll check it out. Any thoughts on the lens issue? I'm more curious as to why it's different than the one I replaced.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-26-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Upon opening the projector and blowing out the dust I saw a loose cable. The wires on the portion of the cable adjacent to the connector (a23? can't remember now.) that was disconnected were dry and cracked as if the heat had dried it out.

I only attempted to keep the wires from shorting out against one another and I'm not completey sure I succeeded. I tried to do this by interlacing electrical tape over a section and then laying what was left over flat over the interlaced section.

I'm going to search the service manual to see what this cable is. If anyone knows please feel free to enlighten me.

I fired up the projector and still saw the same problem. My thinking right now is that even though i connected the cable again it still is not a good connection due to the problem mentioned above.

thanks for any help or suggestions,

see attached pictures.
LL
LL
LL
post #5 of 5 Old 08-28-2010, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

I now think that the A23 cable was disconnected by Panasonic when I sent the unit in for repair a while back for what I believe was a different issue. They probably knew about the noise problem and the cheap way out for them was to simply disconnect the dynamic iris control. Or so I think from reading a few posts.

I guess the next step is going to be to carefully inspect the "red" lcd ribbon cable. It looked fine on one end that I could get to. I'm not expecting to find a loose ribbon cable or a faulty ribbon cable but who knows.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page