Living Room Theater Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-30-2010, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a 1080p projector for my living room, but wanted to get your thoughts before I go and dive in.

My house has an open layout and the ceiling is way too high to do a ceiling mount. I am also too concerned with my dogs knocking the projector around to do a table mount, so I'm considering mounting the pj on a shelf on the wall and utilizing lens shift to get it aligned with the screen properly.

This room does get quite a bit of ambient light during the day, so my plan is to mount an existing 32" lcd I have in the media niche to use during the day, and then have a manual pull down 106" Da-Lite screen that pulls over the entire width of the niche at night when I want to watch the pj. For weekends and special events, I have a seamstress at my disposal so I can have black out curtains made for the room.

I'm posting a picture of a general layout of the room for you guys to see.

Here are the specs of the room:
- 22' x 14'6" width 19' ceilings
- Media niche is 96" wide, 10" deep, total wall width is 120"

If I'm reading correctly, the Epson 8100 can do the lens shift necessary (about 6 feet horizontal) to do this setup. Any comments/lessons/tips would be appreciated.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-30-2010, 06:12 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Is that a side wall shelf setup? I don't think I've ever seen that before. That being the case, I've never researched if the LCD's lenshift would have enough range. What's the throw distance? Around 12 feet or so?

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #3 of 12 Old 08-30-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it will be a side wall shelf setup. Throw distance can be anywhere from 11-14'.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have a similiar setup.....room is 12 x 30, have the projector about 18 feet back using a 150" screen...using Epson 1080.....

You're gonna want a wall mount, since you want the projector upside down....so the lens is further away from the wall, cause you need the lens within the screen image....
LL
LL
post #5 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Love the room lewke! How far did you have to shift the image over to center your screen (which is huge btw)?
post #6 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwmesa View Post

Love the room lewke! How far did you have to shift the image over to center your screen (which is huge btw)?

I'm basically at max lens shift with the epson which is capable of Horizontal +/- 47....which would be 130 x .47 = 61 inches...on my screen....keep in mind if you use max horizontal lens shift you cannot use any vertical....
post #7 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

What mount are you using lewke? How far away from the wall does that mount place the lens?
post #8 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwmesa View Post

What mount are you using lewke? How far away from the wall does that mount place the lens?

http://www.mountdirect.com/NPL_Proje...nt_p/npl_w.htm

Center of lens is 15 1/2 inches away from the wall.....
post #9 of 12 Old 03-18-2011, 04:09 PM

Newbie to projectors here... So why does the projector need to be mounted upside down? And what does this mean - "need the lens within the screen image' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewke View Post

I have a similiar setup.....room is 12 x 30, have the projector about 18 feet back using a 150" screen...using Epson 1080.....

You're gonna want a wall mount, since you want the projector upside down....so the lens is further away from the wall, cause you need the lens within the screen image....

post #10 of 12 Old 03-18-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The lens of the projector cannot be outside the width of the screen. It has to be somewhere in line with some part of the screen - even if it is only at the very edge of the screen - then the lens shift can move the entire image to fill the screen correctly. If you mount the projector upside down that places the lens a little further inside the room and maybe then inside the edge of your screen.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Are you sure you cant com vb ine a reasonable mount with extension of a moderate length and use lense shift? I bet you can with right model.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 PM

thanks. I kind of have a similar setup. I have a couch in front of the viewing area (where tv sits currently) and the only place a potential projector can go is to the right of the couch. Couch is about 7 ft wide, centered on the tv center line. Throw distance would be around 10 to 12 feet, as I would like to mount the screen from the ceiling, in front of the tv.

I am hoping that the projector could sit on a shelf to the right of the couch, and I can shift the image to the left. The Epson 8350 is one of the models I'm considering.

I am also looking at an electric drop down screen. What is an appropriate screen size for a 10 to 12 foot viewing distance?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page