brightest 720P budget projector BenQ w600, or Epson 705HD or?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at a 720P projector that has a bright image for movies/web surfing/ video/ web video/ TV - general purpose in my home. I've been looking at the W600 by benq and the 705HD by epson.

does anyone have any experience with these projectors?
If so, which one is brighter?
Which one has the brightest image?

I do not need the 3D feature of the benq.

What's the best projector for home use DLP or 3LCD ( the epson is 3LCD the benq is DLP)

If anyone knows of another good 720P projector please let me know.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolen78 View Post

I'm looking at a 720P projector that has a bright image for movies/web surfing/ video/ web video/ TV - general purpose in my home. I've been looking at the W600 by benq and the 705HD by epson.

does anyone have any experience with these projectors?
If so, which one is brighter?
Which one has the brightest image?

I do not need the 3D feature of the benq.

What's the best projector for home use DLP or 3LCD ( the epson is 3LCD the benq is DLP)

If anyone knows of another good 720P projector please let me know.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

The Panasonic AX200U 720p would be top on my shopping list givin what you are looking for.

Cheaper DLP projectors you have to be carefull of in case you or any of your guest are sensitive to the dreaded DLP rainbow effect,,,, some people including myself can also get a nasty headache from watching DLP.

The Epson 705HD is the brightest but the picture is not as good as the AX200,, and the AX200 is very bright at 2000 lumens.

Anyhow,, you might want to spend some time reading up on the AX200U, even though it was first released 3 years ago its still one of the top selling projectors to this day.

The Epson 705HD would be my second pick, after the AX200.

Cheers
Davyo
post #3 of 9 Old 08-31-2010, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

The Panasonic AX200U 720p would be top on my shopping list givin what you are looking for.

Cheaper DLP projectors you have to be carefull of in case you or any of your guest are sensitive to the dreaded DLP rainbow effect,,,, some people including myself can also get a nasty headache from watching DLP.

The Epson 705HD is the brightest but the picture is not as good as the AX200,, and the AX200 is very bright at 2000 lumens.

Anyhow,, you might want to spend some time reading up on the AX200U, even though it was first released 3 years ago its still one of the top selling projectors to this day.

The Epson 705HD would be my second pick, after the AX200.

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo,
I appreciate your response, the AX200 is a nice projector, but it's not as bright at 2000 lumens vs 2500 of the epson and benq. I really need those extra 500 lumens.
I've heard that the benQ is in reality brighter but now since you've brought up the "rainbow effect" I will look deeper into the Epson.
I've never been bothered by the rainbow effect, shoul I still consider the Ben Q?
post #4 of 9 Old 08-31-2010, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolen78 View Post

Davyo,
I appreciate your response, the AX200 is a nice projector, but it's not as bright at 2000 lumens vs 2500 of the epson and benq. I really need those extra 500 lumens.
I've heard that the benQ is in reality brighter but now since you've brought up the "rainbow effect" I will look deeper into the Epson.
I've never been bothered by the rainbow effect, shoul I still consider the Ben Q?

As far as brightness the lumens stated by a company is not always the truth in the real world, ProjectorCentral or ProjectorReviews, forget which one, had a review of the 705HD and compared the lumens to the AX200 and as I recall they were both very close in overall brightness.

If you are looking for a PJ for sports and daytime viewing and stuff like that then the 705HD would most likely be the best choice,, but if you also want to do movie night with a BluRay in a dimly lit room then the AX200 is the best, and the other plus for the AX200 is it can do everything, daytime stuff, sports and movie night.
The 705HD is reported to be not as good for movie night stuff, but to be fair I have never seen the 705HD, only read reviews and the threads here.
I have owned the AX200 and I can tell you, its a flame thrower, its blindingly bright.

As far as DLP, even if you dont suffer from headaches or the rainbow effect, your house guest's might,,, thats one reason I would NEVER do DLP, even if it didnt bother me, I would be afraid of a house guest being bothered by DLP and getting a massive headache,, the more expensive DLP PJ's are less prone to give someone adverse affects, but the low end DLP's are kind of a risk.

Cheers
Davyo
post #5 of 9 Old 08-31-2010, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

As far as brightness the lumens stated by a company is not always the truth in the real world, ProjectorCentral or ProjectorReviews, forget which one, had a review of the 705HD and compared the lumens to the AX200 and as I recall they were both very close in overall brightness.

If you are looking for a PJ for sports and daytime viewing and stuff like that then the 705HD would most likely be the best choice,, but if you also want to do movie night with a BluRay in a dimly lit room then the AX200 is the best, and the other plus for the AX200 is it can do everything, daytime stuff, sports and movie night.
The 705HD is reported to be not as good for movie night stuff, but to be fair I have never seen the 705HD, only read reviews and the threads here.
I have owned the AX200 and I can tell you, its a flame thrower, its blindingly bright.

As far as DLP, even if you dont suffer from headaches or the rainbow effect, your house guest's might,,, thats one reason I would NEVER do DLP, even if it didnt bother me, I would be afraid of a house guest being bothered by DLP and getting a massive headache,, the more expensive DLP PJ's are less prone to give someone adverse affects, but the low end DLP's are kind of a risk.

Cheers
Davyo

Good points, the 705HD would seem to be the best choice for me against the panasonic, as I need the brightness for football etc..
I rarely get to sit around at night and watch movies, I'm usually entertaining for something like a football game.
For some reason I continue to lean towards the BenQ w600 as I've read in some reviews that the brightness was TRUE and measured very close to the stated lumens like 2460 etc...
I assume that this rainbow effect must be really bad on this DLP projector.

besides the rainbow effect are there any other pro/cons that make 3 LCD a better choice?

Clearly DLP is the leader in the low cost projector markets, why would they be so popular if they had such issues like rainbow etc...?
post #6 of 9 Old 08-31-2010, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You look into the Viewsonic PJD6531w at all? At 3000 lumens it's one of the brightest budget projectors out there.

I've personally never spoken with anyone that has gotten headaches off DLP but can understand it being a concern for some. Also generally find DLP projectors do a better job at color recreation at high brightness than their LCD cousins. All IMO at least.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-01-2010, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My son owns the 705HD and likes it a lot. The viewing area necessitated the brightest projector he could find and the Epson fit the bill. Only drawback is it is somewhat inflexible as far as placement and throw distance.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-01-2010, 08:54 PM

post #9 of 9 Old 09-18-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

+1 HD66
+1 W600

What did you end up going with?

I Love Apple, BenQ, Samsung, and Acer Products = )
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page