JVC DLA-HD250 new entry level DILA - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > JVC DLA-HD250 new entry level DILA
rgathright's Avatar rgathright 12:35 PM 10-17-2010
When the lucky ones that have their new HD250 post their comments/reviews could you also post what screen you are using? I had planned on getting a Da-Lite HP 133", but cannot make it work for my setup. I now am looking at a Carada BW-126" screen.

Kelvin1965S's Avatar Kelvin1965S 12:38 PM 10-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post

How far back is the lens from the screen?

19-20' or so for a 112" wide 2.35:1 screen. I'm at minimum zoom when using the lens for 2.35:1 content, which gives me maximum contrast, sharpness and virtually no pincushion. For 1.85:1 films I have to slightly zoom off the minimum. It helps that my screen is a 1.5 gain so I still can hit 12fL without fully opening the iris yet.

Having the projector behind makes it more like a real cinema.
ahard's Avatar ahard 01:05 PM 10-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

19-20' or so for a 112" wide 2.35:1 screen. I'm at minimum zoom when using the lens for 2.35:1 content, which gives me maximum contrast, sharpness and virtually no pincushion. For 1.85:1 films I have to slightly zoom off the minimum. It helps that my screen is a 1.5 gain so I still can hit 12fL without fully opening the iris yet.

That makes sense, re: 12fL. So when you use the lens for 2.35:1 content are you getting a higher fL? I would suspect so since you'd be at min zoom.
Kelvin1965S's Avatar Kelvin1965S 01:15 PM 10-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post

That makes sense, re: 12fL. So when you use the lens for 2.35:1 content are you getting a higher fL? I would suspect so since you'd be at min zoom.

No, I have setup User 3 for lens use and User 2 for non lens, with different iris settings. I've been into the service menu and adjusted the two iris settings so that I get the same 12fL for both ARs. There is about 4 clicks difference between the two (there are 16 steps in the service menu, exactly the same as the HD750/950 have in their user menu. )

Since the lens 'spreads' the light out by 33% more width, then more light is needed from the projector to maintain the same screen fL. We're lucky that we can alter this in rough steps using the 3 iris settings or use the service menu to fine tune your settings, for a perfect match.

At some point I'll check whether I get the same 12fL in User 2 when zooming as more zoom should increase brightness, but the change might not be linear, so could require a different iris (SM) setting.
rgathright's Avatar rgathright 02:10 PM 10-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

What screen are you using?
paradigm's Avatar paradigm 03:57 PM 10-17-2010
I'm not sure by looking at the projector calculator (RS10) that I can use this in my setup. I have a 92" screen. I will be shelf mounting 18' from screen. This doesn't seem ideal does it?
pgjensen's Avatar pgjensen 04:00 PM 10-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post

I'm not sure by looking at the projector calculator (RS10) that I can use this in my setup. I have a 92" screen. I will be shelf mounting 18' from screen. This doesn't seem ideal does it?

5.63400 meters = 18.484252 feet max for your screen size according to the manual.

you should be ok.
ahard's Avatar ahard 04:13 PM 10-17-2010
Used the timer on the camera this time around and placed on top of the projector instead of hand held:

All 3 from Knowing Blu-ray

All 3 from Project Runway.
ravisudhir's Avatar ravisudhir 04:32 PM 10-17-2010
I got the 250, but realized that the mount I was using for Optoma H77 does not work with this PJ. Any suggestions on a ceiling mount for HD250? I know I can order it from AVS, but I dont want to sit around without setting up the PJ until the mount comes in mail. It would be great if I can get one locally (Cincinnati)
Thanks.

Ravi
Kelvin1965S's Avatar Kelvin1965S 04:48 PM 10-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

What screen are you using?

112" wide 2.35:1 Beamax Matt White 1.5 gain tab tensioned. Picture attached.
LL
ScofieldKid's Avatar ScofieldKid 08:47 PM 10-17-2010
Hey Ahard, nice pics of "Knowing". Would you care to post your calibrations technique? Looks like you got a settings dialed in pretty well on those pics.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 09:57 PM 10-17-2010
Hello all .

I'm in the market for a new pj, and I was really considering a 3D unit, but I may backpedal and just go with a nice quality standard model.
The premium paid for something like the lower end JVC/3D model is just not worth it I think, and messing with the glasses and such, I think I'm done with that idea.

So when trying to get the best quality for you hard earned dollar in the 2D market, I would normally look at something like a Panasonic AE-4000, but this new lower cost JVC model has me VERY intrigued.

My biggest concern, is the fact that I have a lower ceiling in my theater room, and the fixed screen has to literally go almost all the way against the ceiling.
So with the pj being ceiling mounted, with also the need for a shorter throw distance, I'm wondering if the HD250 will work in my setup... that is, with the lens basically in line with the top of the screen.

Will this work??? Does the HD250 have lens shift?
...and if not, does it have keystone correction?
I know many SCOFF at the notion of using keystone, but my understanding is that with DIGITAL keystone correction, the use of it it virtually unnoticeable in real world viewing.
I guess I just want to know if I can fit this puppy into my setup or not.

I can't believe that this thing is streeting, but there is apparently NO projection calculator for the model.
OR, if there is one, would someone kindly point me in the right direction...

I would also like to know what would be the very best screen material to use with a pj like this?
My room is 100% light controlled, and as I mentioned, I will be trying to put the pj as close as possible to the screen... like 11 ft from a 96-99" wide 2.35:1 screen... most likely DIY unless I can find an affordable fixed frame model.

Anyway, thank you in advance for any info and time invested in my inquiry.
By reading a couple of the pages in this thread, there appears to be some very knowledgeable people here against JVC models.

Thanks again,
Dave
pgjensen's Avatar pgjensen 10:13 PM 10-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Hello all .

I'm in the market for a new pj, and I was really considering a 3D unit, but I may backpedal and just go with a nice quality standard model.
The premium paid for something like the lower end JVC/3D model is just not worth it I think, and messing with the glasses and such, I think I'm done with that idea.

So when trying to get the best quality for you hard earned dollar in the 2D market, I would normally look at something like a Panasonic AE-4000, but this new lower cost JVC model has me VERY intrigued.

My biggest concern, is the fact that I have a lower ceiling in my theater room, and the fixed screen has to literally go almost all the way against the ceiling.
So with the pj being ceiling mounted, with also the need for a shorter throw distance, I'm wondering if the HD250 will work in my setup... that is, with the lens basically in line with the top of the screen.

Will this work??? Does the HD250 have lens shift?
...and if not, does it have keystone correction?
I know many SCOFF at the notion of using keystone, but my understanding is that with DIGITAL keystone correction, the use of it it virtually unnoticeable in real world viewing.
I guess I just want to know if I can fit this puppy into my setup or not.

I can't believe that this thing is streeting, but there is apparently NO projection calculator for the model.
OR, if there is one, would someone kindly point me in the right direction...

I would also like to know what would be the very best screen material to use with a pj like this?
My room is 100% light controlled, and as I mentioned, I will be trying to put the pj as close as possible to the screen... like 11 ft from a 96-99" wide 2.35:1 screen... most likely DIY unless I can find an affordable fixed frame model.

Anyway, thank you in advance for any info and time invested in my inquiry.
By reading a couple of the pages in this thread, there appears to be some very knowledgeable people here against JVC models.

Thanks again,
Dave

after doing some tests (haven't mounted on the ceiling yet) the image will go to where the bottom of the lens is. this is about 16' away when i measured to test. so take that into account since there will be at least ~5" to the bottom of the lens at a minimum i think.

i saw keystone in the menu.

check out the manual, too.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 10:20 PM 10-17-2010
thanks pgjensen, yes, reading the manual could help, duhhh
maybe I can work some of that in tomorrow.

good news if the image top/bottom is even with the screen, as this is my #1 concern.

I am also going to send you a quick PM right now if you don't mind?
...just a quick question..
pgjensen's Avatar pgjensen 10:21 PM 10-17-2010
Quote:

thanks pgjensen, yes, reading the manual could help, duhhh
maybe I can work some of that in tomorrow.

good news if the image top/bottom is even with the screen, as this is my #1 concern.

I am also going to send you a quick PM right now if you don't mind?
...just a quick question..

sure, although i'm not very technical with this stuff. this is my first pj haha.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 10:23 PM 10-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjensen View Post

sure, although i'm not very technical with this stuff. this is my first pj haha.

about price
CT_Wiebe's Avatar CT_Wiebe 12:21 AM 10-18-2010
Smarty-pants -- The HD250 has a motorized zoom, focus and lens shift, AFIK. As long as the lens is within the screen area, you should be fine. You can always check the RS10 data, since the HD250 uses the same basic case and internals.

NOTE: Per the JVC site, the lens shift is +/- 80% of screen height (50% would be a full screen size), so no worries.

As for price, call either Jason Turk or Daniel Hutnicki, at AVS. They have very good pre-order prices, especially on the HD250 and the RS40 models.
paradigm's Avatar paradigm 03:14 AM 10-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjensen View Post

5.63400 meters = 18.484252 feet max for your screen size according to the manual.

you should be ok.

Thanks!
Acid Snow's Avatar Acid Snow 05:32 AM 10-18-2010
I [think I] read earlier in this thread that this PJ uses forced-dithering, which can't be disabled. ...Why would a $3,000 PJ force dithering in this BluRay era? This is a 1080p PJ! Wouldn't dithering degrade our pq? What's the reasoning behind this design decision, and why do I want to buy it if it's degrading my source material? I'm new to PJs.
ahard's Avatar ahard 05:46 AM 10-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow View Post

I [think I] read earlier in this thread that this PJ uses forced-dithering, which can't be disabled. ...Why would a $3,000 PJ force dithering in this BluRay era? This is a 1080p PJ! Wouldn't dithering degrade our pq? What's the reasoning behind this design decision, and why do I want to buy it if it's degrading my source material? I'm new to PJs.

I don't think that anyone in this thread or the one over in the 3K+ forum said that as well. Nor have any of the review sites.
ahard's Avatar ahard 05:47 AM 10-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScofieldKid View Post

Hey Ahard, nice pics of "Knowing". Would you care to post your calibrations technique? Looks like you got a settings dialed in pretty well on those pics.

I used the settings from Home Theater Mag's review of the HD350.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 06:33 AM 10-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

Smarty-pants -- The HD250 has a motorized zoom, focus and lens shift, AFIK. As long as the lens is within the screen area, you should be fine. You can always check the RS10 data, since the HD250 uses the same basic case and internals.

NOTE: Per the JVC site, the lens shift is +/- 80% of screen height (50% would be a full screen size), so no worries.

As for price, call either Jason Turk or Daniel Hutnicki, at AVS. They have very good pre-order prices, especially on the HD250 and the RS40 models.

thanks Claus, much appreciated.
So do you think using the RS10 model in the pj calculator at proj-central will yield the correct results?
Thanks again.
aztech's Avatar aztech 07:31 AM 10-18-2010
where else can i get a jvc 250?? i just called av science and they are out of stock. i would like it soon if possible. thanks.
milk's Avatar milk 07:40 AM 10-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow View Post

Could some of the experienced HD350 owners (or anyone familiar with the dithering issue) clarify this? Seems very odd dithering would be forced.
ahard's Avatar ahard 07:49 AM 10-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztech View Post

where else can i get a jvc 250?? i just called av science and they are out of stock. i would like it soon if possible. thanks.

I sent you a pm. I'm not surprised avs sold out of the 29 or so that they had. Did they when they expected to receive more?
aztech's Avatar aztech 08:00 AM 10-18-2010
they have no info on the next shipment. they called and asked jvc last week with no luck. i was hoping another online retailer would have them in stock... guess not.
ahard's Avatar ahard 08:38 AM 10-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztech View Post

they have no info on the next shipment. they called and asked jvc last week with no luck. i was hoping another online retailer would have them in stock... guess not.

I'm surprised that none of the vendors listed at the top of page carry the HD250. Obviously JVC doesn't do the volume that Epson does, but I'm surprised JVC doesn't know when they'll ship out more from Japan.

Your local dealers maybe able to lay hands on one throug their distributors but the distributor has to order it from JVC so you may hear the same thing that AVS was told.
Davidsgt's Avatar Davidsgt 08:39 AM 10-18-2010
No stock...

Arghhhh....
D
aztech's Avatar aztech 08:46 AM 10-18-2010
PP has previous jvc models, but when i called to ask if they were planning on stocking the hd250 they said they had no idea what would be coming in. i find that hard to beleive... maybe the woman i spoke to has no idea, but i'm sure somebody there knows what products they plan on selling.... duh.

she said to jus keep checking the website.
xb1032's Avatar xb1032 08:49 AM 10-18-2010
Quote:

thanks Claus, much appreciated.
So do you think using the RS10 model in the pj calculator at proj-central will yield the correct results?
Thanks again.

I believe the HD250 is basically the RS15 in a new package. I can tell you that I have an RS2 clone and at one time I used it at minimum throw distance and the projector lens was actually slightly above the screen so I would be very surprised if the HD250 didn't work.
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop