JVC DLA-HD250 new entry level DILA - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1861 of 1878 Old 03-14-2015, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo50jeff View Post
I have the opportunity to purchase a refurb JVC250 for $1399 or a preowned 8700ub with only 73 hours on it for $1000. I watch only in a completely dark TREATED room and only movies on Bluray. 100-110" screen. Which projector would be the better one?
I'm considering selling my HD250. I'd let it go for $1000 and it comes with an extra bulb still new in the box.

JVC HD 250
Benq 1070
B&W
Onkyo
Hsu Research
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1878 Old 01-30-2016, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vertical Shift Question

Apologies if this has already been covered, but the search tool for this forum didn't work too well for me.

I have an HD250 mounted on a shelf on the back wall of my theater room. The projector is 18' away from the screen, and is
mounted right-side up with the center of the lens 1 foot below the ceiling. The problem is the top of the image is also 1 foot below
the ceiling, and I cannot shift it any lower with vertical shift. The vertical shift can shift the image up (and onto the ceiling) pretty far,
but does not shift any lower on the screen. Any ideas on how to solve this?
post #1863 of 1878 Old 01-30-2016, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidog View Post
Apologies if this has already been covered, but the search tool for this forum didn't work too well for me.

I have an HD250 mounted on a shelf on the back wall of my theater room. The projector is 18' away from the screen, and is
mounted right-side up with the center of the lens 1 foot below the ceiling. The problem is the top of the image is also 1 foot below
the ceiling, and I cannot shift it any lower with vertical shift. The vertical shift can shift the image up (and onto the ceiling) pretty far,
but does not shift any lower on the screen. Any ideas on how to solve this?
Buy a ceiling mount and mount it just above the shelf. This will flip the projector upside down and you should then have enough lens shift to alighn the picture properly.

Jack

post #1864 of 1878 Old 01-30-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Buy a ceiling mount and mount it just above the shelf. This will flip the projector upside down and you should then have enough lens shift to alighn the picture properly.
Was hoping to avoid doing this. Shouldn't the shift be the same in the vertical up direction as the vertical down direction? Although flipping it seems like it would do the trick, I am confused as to why?
post #1865 of 1878 Old 01-30-2016, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidog View Post
Was hoping to avoid doing this. Shouldn't the shift be the same in the vertical up direction as the vertical down direction? Although flipping it seems like it would do the trick, I am confused as to why?
Projectors are designed to beam the image up. So the shift is the same, but it's not starting from a position center and level with the lens.
post #1866 of 1878 Old 01-30-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
Projectors are designed to beam the image up. So the shift is the same, but it's not starting from a position center and level with the lens.
When you say "beam the image up", I presume you mean when the projector is mounted right-side up. So, the starting point or center is actually already high?
I think I understand what you mean, but the following diagram implies that the shift up or down should be the same amount and doesn't state that the
center is already up:

http://www.complete-it.ca/pdfs/proje...A-HD250PRO.pdf

The other peculiar thing is that I don't think I had this issue before I repositioned the projector. Previously, it was on a shelf about a foot lower than the
new location, and I was able to get the image as low as I wanted. In the new location, I can no longer do so. I'm wondering if the mechanism for shifting
got messed up when I moved the projector. I just played around with it some more and no matter how I try to shift the screen, I cannot get the top of the
screen to be any lower than the lens position. The diagrams in the owner's manual show that I should be able to do so.
post #1867 of 1878 Old 01-31-2016, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Holy crap you're right, the lens shift mechanism must be faulty. It should shift well below the projector like you said.
post #1868 of 1878 Old 01-31-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
Holy crap you're right, the lens shift mechanism must be faulty. It should shift well below the projector like you said.
Any ideas on how to troubleshoot/fix the mechanism?
post #1869 of 1878 Old 01-13-2017, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well my JVC DLA-HD250 needs a new bulb after 1900 hours. It is displaying the "replace bulb" message at power on.

The part number for the bulb is BHL-5010-S.

Should I replace the entire bulb assembly? Or just the lamp within the assembly?

I have read I should stick with Philips or OSRAM. Where should I buy it from? eBay?
post #1870 of 1878 Old 02-17-2017, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post
Well my JVC DLA-HD250 needs a new bulb after 1900 hours. It is displaying the "replace bulb" message at power on.

The part number for the bulb is BHL-5010-S.

Should I replace the entire bulb assembly? Or just the lamp within the assembly?

I have read I should stick with Philips or OSRAM. Where should I buy it from? eBay?
I am getting the same message with about the same number of hours. The lamp led is also lit orange on the projector.

Is the lamp really at the end of its life, or is this just a standard message when the bulb hits a specific hour mark?

I believe I bought the projector from AVS. Does AVS also sell lamps?

In general, where's a good place to buy genuine JVC lamp assemblies?

Last edited by adam2434; 02-17-2017 at 08:09 PM.
post #1871 of 1878 Old 02-19-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
I am getting the same message with about the same number of hours. The lamp led is also lit orange on the projector.

Is the lamp really at the end of its life, or is this just a standard message when the bulb hits a specific hour mark?

I believe I bought the projector from AVS. Does AVS also sell lamps?

In general, where's a good place to buy genuine JVC lamp assemblies?
I did a lot of research on this. And the more research I did, the more convinced I was that "you get what you pay for."

My advice: do not buy a lamp assembly that is "cheap" or from an un-reputable dealer.

I ended up buying the new lamp assembly from www.avscience.com. The price was $329. It works great.

Last edited by Ohioan; 02-19-2017 at 10:25 AM.
post #1872 of 1878 Old 02-19-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I did a lot of research on this. And the more research I did, the more convinced I was that "you get what you pay for."

My advice: do not buy a lamp assembly that is "cheap" or from an un-reputable dealer.

I ended up buying the new lamp assembly from www.avscience.com. The price was $329. It works great.
I totally agree. However, I have seen what appears to be the same assembly (same numbers molded into the housing) for around $200 from recommended vendors listed at projectorcentral.com.

Buying from AVS would give me a more secure feeling, but can't help wondering if the same part could be had for $130 less elsewhere.
post #1873 of 1878 Old 02-20-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
I totally agree. However, I have seen what appears to be the same assembly (same numbers molded into the housing) for around $200 from recommended vendors listed at projectorcentral.com.

Buying from AVS would give me a more secure feeling, but can't help wondering if the same part could be had for $130 less elsewhere.
Yea, I'm not sure either.

Here's the way I look at it: let's say the bulb lasts 1900 hours. If the bulb costs $329, then it works out to 17.3 cents/hour. If the bulb costs $200, then it works out to 10.5 cents/hour. So it only costs me 7 cents/hour to ensure I am getting the best replacement bulb. That's cheap insurance.
post #1874 of 1878 Old 02-20-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Yea, I'm not sure either.

Here's the way I look at it: let's say the bulb lasts 1900 hours. If the bulb costs $329, then it works out to 17.3 cents/hour. If the bulb costs $200, then it works out to 10.5 cents/hour. So it only costs me 7 cents/hour to ensure I am getting the best replacement bulb. That's cheap insurance.
Good way to look at it. I just ordered from AVS.

Do folks typically re-run the picture calibration after replacing the lamp?

When I originally ran a basic calibration, I found that the HD250 required very little adjustment from the center/zero position for all of the settings.
post #1875 of 1878 Old 02-20-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Good way to look at it. I just ordered from AVS.

Do folks typically re-run the picture calibration after replacing the lamp?

When I originally ran a basic calibration, I found that the HD250 required very little adjustment from the center/zero position for all of the settings.
I'm not sure.

Just curious... what type of calibration are you referring to? I didn't do anything; I simply replaced the bulb. But perhaps I should do some kind of calibration.
post #1876 of 1878 Old 02-20-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure.

Just curious... what type of calibration are you referring to? I didn't do anything; I simply replaced the bulb. But perhaps I should do some kind of calibration.
I'm referring to the basic black level, white level, color, tint, and sharpness calibration one can do with a test disc like the AVS HD709, Disney WOW, etc.

I did this when I first got the projector, so am wondering if it makes sense to do it again after I replace the lamp.
post #1877 of 1878 Old 02-20-2017, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 1955
After a lamp change, I would definitely re-check the settings and adjust if/as required.
post #1878 of 1878 Old 02-26-2017, 08:28 AM

Replaced the lamp yesterday and ran through the Disney WOW advanced calibration after a couple hours of uptime. I ended up with all settings at the center/zero position. With the previous lamp, I had a couple minor adjustments off center/zero. Could the new lamp be more "accurate" than the original?

There was a "hot" smell coming from the projector - not intense, but there. I hope this is just from the new lamp "burning in" and off-gassing a bit. Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page