Epson 6100, 8100, 6500ub, 8500ub, 7500ub, 9500ub Post Pre-Mature Lamp Failure here - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: How Many Hours did you get on your first Bulb? Vote again for mutliple used bulbs.
300 or less Hours 0 0%
500 Hours 0 0%
700 Hours 1 50.00%
900 Hours 1 50.00%
1100 Hours 0 0%
1300 Hours 0 0%
1700 Hours 0 0%
2000 Hours 0 0%
2500 Hours 0 0%
3000 + Hours and Counting 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 235 Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell2038 View Post

1) What is the temperature of the room on average? How often do you clean your filter?74 Degreed

2) what size room do you have, is the room big or small, is it near a window or AC unit?
Big Room 20ft ceilings.

3) Did you make custom fans to point at the projector to help flow?
No need to its very open. Projector is mounted in hole where 42" tv would fit along with projector.

4) Do you use high alt mode?
No but I cant tell if it came from factory that way because bulb is dead.

5) what settings do you use? like pre-made modes, or your own custom calibrations?
First projector I used auto iris. Might have turned overscan down like second one.

Replacement only setting changed was Overscan from factory on second one. From 8% to 2%

Im suspecting its the bulbs from China. I havent personally received a bulb from Japan but I read someone else did but did not see any posts from them after.

Good point, I wonder if anyone who has a Japan bulb has had had one pop. Sounds like we all need to take a look at where is made after they pop on us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 235 Old 09-29-2010, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
(censored) Removing my comments about Epson lamps due to forum members that I upset.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #33 of 235 Old 09-29-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Coderguy,

Let's be honest about your postings. You started out basically heralding loudly about the decided superiority of the Mits over the Epsons...in several categories, not just the Lamp life...and you stated all that in no uncertain terms.

All of this occurred on a thread dedicated to the Epsons premier and availability As a general rule, I don't think you or anyone else should fail to see that when someone comes on with something to say on a dedicated thread that goes well beyond an opinion...people will start to get up in arms.

It certainly doesn't help that you call those who rise to address your actions "Fan Boys" either...

The mitigating factor is moderation (...not the punitive type... ) in expressing an opinion or gut feeling. No one fails to appreciates a suggestion or warning.

This thread is the venue for anyone who might have a concern about Epson Bulb life / performance to overview opinions, real life experiences, and potential solutions. And that is why I posted this missive here as well. I intend to utilize the heck out of the 8350, and seeing the issue of Bulb wear / failure addressed out of hand can only help me...and others discern the facts as they are...not as they are seen by a select few.

Please take all this in the spirit it is intended. Keep it real. But also keep it courteous.

MM

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #34 of 235 Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I did make some comparisons of weakness compared to the Mits 4000 and I did semi-dog on the lamp, yes. Just because you point out a projectors weakness does not mean you are trashing.

I don't take it personally, so no worries, but let's get over it already, I aint going to talk about the lamp no more.
If I buy an Epson and have 5 lamps die pre-1000 hours, then you're going to hear what trashing something is, hah!

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #35 of 235 Old 09-29-2010, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Coderguy,

You must be a bit more honest about your postings. You started out basically heralding loudly about the decided superiority of the Mits over the Epsons...in several categories, not just the Lamp life...and you stated all that in no uncertain terms.

Yes, if you don't need placement flexibility, the extra brightness, and the darker blacks, then a DLP projector will be sharper, better ANSI, bla bla bla. For me I am RBE sensitive, so no go.

It's not subjective, I've seen the projectors myself, even the review sites will point those weaknesses out, but ok, to say I like the Epsons doesn't mean I don't know their weaknesses. I should also point out that many people prefer Epson color over the Mits, as well as the ANSI is barely lower these days on Epson vs. Mits. The main difference would be the sharpness, in that area, LCD's still have a ways to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Coderguy,

It certainly doesn't help that you call those who rise to address your actions "Fan Boys" either...

OK, but did you see what the person said to me that I called a Fanboy, lol. Something to the effect that if i repeat it, then this thread may also be deleted for borderline vulgarity.

post #36 of 235 Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I don't take it personally, so no worries, but let's get over it already, I aint going to talk about the lamp no more.
If I buy an Epson and have 5 lamps die pre-1000 hours, then you're going to hear what trashing something is, hah!

I'll be holding the microphone for you, and the Volume will be maxed.

Myself, I wouldn't need it...you'd hear me screaming coast to coast!

BTW, thanks for the edit. I reciprocated.

Quote:

OK, but did you see what the person said to me that I called a Fanboy, lol. Something to the effect that if i repeat it, then this thread may also be deleted for borderline vulgarity.

Hmmmm....I noticed that it was gone when I went to go look again at the text. Zapped. Seems a little extreme, but in keeping with keeping things under control so it's basically "all good".

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #37 of 235 Old 09-29-2010, 09:37 PM

My new 8500UB arrived today, and had a blinking red light at first turn-on -- the lamp had died in shipping. I had ordered a spare lamp, so I put it in and the unit has been A-OK since.

Clyde Washburn
post #38 of 235 Old 09-29-2010, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post

My new 8500UB arrived today, and had a blinking red light at first turn-on -- the lamp had died in shipping. I had ordered a spare lamp, so I put it in and the unit has been A-OK since.

Report it to Epson and they will replace the lamp that died.
post #39 of 235 Old 09-30-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Report it to Epson and they will replace the lamp that died.

I did, and they are. Curiously the Epson phone system insisted the Epson PIN that came with the projector was "not valid", and would not take my call on the 800 number. But on my dime the nice Customer Service person took the details and offered a new lamp.

Clyde Washburn
post #40 of 235 Old 09-30-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:

I take a positive look on this... If Epson is replacing lamps that die before 1000 hours for free, I HOPE my dies @ 999 hours everytime . By then you've lost somewhere around 30-40% of its brightness.
post #41 of 235 Old 10-02-2010, 11:45 PM

We bought our 8500UB last March and the bulb quit a few days ago at 610 hrs. Phoned support, no hassle at all, and they said a new bulb would be here in a few days. The image quality and performance of the projector has been excellent and they seem to stand behind their product when a problem arises. Yes it would be nice if the bulbs lasted as advertised, but if they give fast courteous support as I received it's hard to fault them.
post #42 of 235 Old 10-03-2010, 05:41 AM

For those that got a new bulb when theirs went out or got really dim, does Epson require you to send the old bulb in? When my 8500 arrives, I may just call them a few weeks later and ask for a new bulb even if mine is fine, just to ensure I have an extra one around.
post #43 of 235 Old 10-03-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I called a PJ store and voiced my concerns about the Epson lamp, they forwarded my call to tech who was very knowledgeable about lamp life on the various projectors. He said Epson's HT projectors are about average when comparing all factors, but are definitely NOT in the upper ranks when it comes to lamp life. He also said that Epson is probably the easiest to get replacement lamp from, so it shouldn't that big of a concern.

I told him that a consensus was that almost all the models of various HT brand PJ's had about the same lamp life and that it was just a common thing for lamps to fail.

He disagreed and said that based on his experience some models of certain projectors do have far far longer lamp life even if the MFR specs don't mean anything, and he said that Epson isn't the worst when it comes to pre-mature failures, but probably not the best.

Just another opinion, but it wasn't my opinion. It wasn't easy to get this info out of him, he was hesistant to give it to me, but after I explained how high my usage was he gave me some recommendations.

post #44 of 235 Old 10-03-2010, 08:36 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Quote:

I called a PJ store and voiced my concerns about the Epson lamp, they forwarded my call to tech who was very knowledgeable about lamp life on the various projectors. He said Epson's HT projectors are about average when comparing all factors, but are definitely NOT in the upper ranks when it comes to lamp life. He also said that Epson is probably the easiest to get replacement lamp from, so it shouldn't that big of a concern.

I told him that a consensus was that almost all the models of various HT brand PJ's had about the same lamp life and that it was just a common thing for lamps to fail.

He disagreed and said that based on his experience some models of certain projectors do have far far longer lamp life even if the MFR specs don't mean anything, and he said that Epson isn't one of the best when it comes to pre-mature failures.

Just another opinion, but it wasn't my opinion. It wasn't easy to get this info out of him, he was hesistant to give it to me, but after I explained how high my usage was he gave me some recommendations, but said there is never a guarantee and it is just what he has noticed after servicing so many projectors over the years.

So what's the story coderguy? Do you like Epson projectors or not? What do you really think about the lamp life? I would love to hear more....

Or maybe you could just do what you said you were going to do and quit talking about it...
post #45 of 235 Old 10-03-2010, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttflyer95 View Post

So what's the story coderguy? Do you like Epson projectors or not? What do you really think about the lamp life? I would love to hear more....

Or maybe you could just do what you said you were going to do and quit talking about it...

+1

This guy is on every epson thread hammering lamp life. He needs to get over it and go pay $2k for a panny 4000. Then when his projector has an image issue he then needs to pay to ship it to panny, then hope they will fix it and not blame it on him like they have previous customers. O we'll you get what you pay for right. Good thing epson's customer service is top-notch. Better yet Coderguy needs to go buy a JVC at $3k, then he can get good blacks and a lamp that last long, yet pay the $1.5k more and that would be like the cost of 6-7 epson lamps! Don't forget the free ones epson tosses at you as well.

Pick a Projector already and stop bashing ones you dont like. Go buy your panny you keep talking about.
post #46 of 235 Old 10-03-2010, 09:57 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post

+1

This guy is on every epson thread hammering lamp life. He needs to get over it and go pay $2k for a panny 4000.

Like any rational person, I tend to discount any radically pro or con opinions about electronics. "coderguy" clearly falls into the category of a person whose opinion can be discounted. Unfortunately, he is all over these forums like a bad rash making it difficult to find useful information. I have found a solution, however. Here it is:
LL
post #47 of 235 Old 10-03-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post

+1

This guy is on every epson thread hammering lamp life. Pick a Projector already and stop bashing ones you dont like. Go buy your panny you keep talking about.

As long as Epson replaces lamps, then you're probably SAFER buying an Epson than something else, now aren't you...
He said that Epson is easier to get a lamp than anyone else, how is that bad?

This is a lamp life thread... Since they replace the lamps, why does anyone care?
I am not in every Epson thread talking about lamp life. That's a lie someone started that others continue to pass on.

I called around a few places to see if I could get an objective opinion on the lamp life's of different HT projectors, I should have known better then to post it, but I thought people would find it interesting.

I have NEVER considered the Panny, so I have no idea what you are talking about. I am actually waiting to see what else comes out and may buy an Epson.
I removed my other posts about the lamp in the other threads, even though MOST of the posts were perfectly appropriate and were just taking notice. I had only posted in 2 other threads, and one thread I only had 2 posts about it in the whole thing. It's just a machine for god sakes, I'm not talking about your family here.

I try to give objective advice... Did I tell anyone not to buy an EPSON, not unless they had mentioned the attributes of what a DLP would do better at... Did I say I think the lamps might be suspect, yes - so what it was my opinion...

Are people in forums overly opinionated sometimes, YES EVEN ME, does that mean we are trolling, no it does not...

post #48 of 235 Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay7 View Post

For those that got a new bulb when theirs went out or got really dim, does Epson require you to send the old bulb in? When my 8500 arrives, I may just call them a few weeks later and ask for a new bulb even if mine is fine, just to ensure I have an extra one around.

?????
post #49 of 235 Old 10-03-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As long as Epson replaces lamps, then you're probably SAFER buying an Epson than something else, now aren't you...
He said that Epson is easier to get a lamp than anyone else, how is that bad?

This is a lamp life thread... Since they replace the lamps, why does anyone care?
I am not in every Epson thread talking about lamp life. That's a lie someone started that others continue to pass on.

I called around a few places to see if I could get an objective opinion on the lamp life's of different HT projectors, I should have known better then to post it, but I thought people would find it interesting.

I have NEVER considered the Panny, so I have no idea what you are talking about. I am actually waiting to see what else comes out and may buy an Epson.
I removed my other posts about the lamp in the other threads, even though MOST of the posts were perfectly appropriate and were just taking notice. I had only posted in 2 other threads, and one thread I only had 2 posts about it in the whole thing. It's just a machine for god sakes, I'm not talking about your family here.

I try to give objective advice... Did I tell anyone not to buy an EPSON, not unless they had mentioned the attributes of what a DLP would do better at... Did I say I think the lamps might be suspect, yes - so what it was my opinion...

Are people in forums overly opinionated sometimes, YES EVEN ME, does that mean we are trolling, no it does not...

The problem is your posting in a thread and making it off topic. This thread is about lamp life failures. You dont have an epson, you shouldnt be posting on here. I created the thread to find an average amount of hours people get on a lamp. That requires them to eventually pop, so this thread will end up taking a year to create a good sample to be able to find an average. I only asked people to post about there projector and what there doing to keep the lamp going. I never asked for anyone to come in here and express there opinions on why epsons lamp life sucks or anything to that nature. I only looking for facts from people who actually own these units
post #50 of 235 Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I did own an Epson, actually I owned 2. Stop telling people what I did or didn't do, let them read the threads and judge for themselves.

I posted one more comment about the lamps ONLY becuase I thought it was a good thing not a bad - that Epson lamps were "average" and easily replaceable, but maybe a few more than average failed prematurely. People still got offended, I was sorely mistaken.

post #51 of 235 Old 10-03-2010, 02:14 PM

Liked: 12
hey, you guys left a choice off of the list. "Don't know because the unit fails before the lamp can" I'm on my 5th unit but this one seems to finally work. First unit had terrible convergence. Second had hdmi connection issues but perfect convergence. Third had the red wavy lines. The replacement for that was just before the fix for it so about 100hrs in to that unit the red wavy came, BUT finally I got this last one. The only thing I didn't like was that it was a refurb. After the third unit I got a refund and thought about the panny or the sony at one time, but decided the epson was the one I needed for my environment and that it was easy to get a new (refurb) unit rather easily if it didn't work so I ended up getting another one.

Also on a side note some of you guys need to remember what the forum is about, Sharing information and experiences. Just because individuals have issues with equipment that you have fallen in love with doesn't mean you have to go all JR High on them. Some of the comments that have been posted have been needless and uncalled for. I am speaking of other threads as well not just this one.
post #52 of 235 Old 10-03-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunt17 View Post

Some of the comments that have been posted have been needless and uncalled for. I am speaking of other threads as well not just this one.

It's because everyone assumed that I never owned an Epson, since I was considering purchasing this year's models (8350 or 8700), I had to RMA the Epson, and a Mits, and ended up returning both. And yes, the lamp failed on one in less than 100 hours, but the reason I didn't focus on that fact was because my experience means nothing statistically, so why even mention it.

I'm just tired of RMA's. At this point I just got sick of the continual attacks, which it's fine to point out if you think someone is being too opinionated, but the attacks were getting personal, like "this guy is trolling", give me a break. I've been on this thread for years and never have I trolled on anything.

post #53 of 235 Old 10-03-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree with JHUNT too, I've been attacked and insulted continually just for an opinion, and I did own and see MANY of the projectors from last year. Next time before people attack someone and put WORDS in someone's mouth, perhaps you might actually WANT to go read someone's posts FIRST.

Dare I say, you sirs are the nuts!
(ok maybe I'm a little nutty, but so what)

post #54 of 235 Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:

I agree with JHUNT too, I've been attacked and insulted continually just for an opinion, and I did own and see MANY of the projectors from last year. Next time before people attack someone and put WORDS in someone's mouth, perhaps you might actually WANT to go read someone's posts FIRST.

Dare I say, you sirs are the nuts!
(ok maybe I'm a little nutty, but so what)

Fine ! Now that we have settled all the crapola, how about we stick to facts, express minimal unwarranted bias and zero invective. I think we all agree Epson is very good at building projectors, and has a wonderful response team at customer service (probably better than ANY manufacturer).
I think we also agree that the screwup with firmware on the red edges, pink blobs and convergence could have been identified and corrected by better quality control in manufacturing.
The Chinese lamp electrode support meltdown will probably get fixed as we speak.
I'm delighted at the sharp, near color correct, high contrast ratio of my 8500. Wonderful performance every day.
gil
post #55 of 235 Old 10-05-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Arroyo View Post

I think we also agree that the screwup with firmware on the red edges, pink blobs and convergence could have been identified and corrected by better quality control in manufacturing.
The Chinese lamp electrode support meltdown will probably get fixed as we speak.
I'm delighted at the sharp, near color correct, high contrast ratio of my 8500. Wonderful performance every day.
gil

Yah, it seems all these projector companies are shipping a lot of QC-less projectors. I just wonder how they can ship them with such ridiculous defects without noticing. My guess is they either performed the QC at a different stage then the final build, or the QC guys are monkeys that just stamp the boxes when they are too lazy to check them. Who knows, maybe it is a business game and they do it on purpose (although that would be a bit harder to believe, since it doesn't seem to accomplish anything)

post #56 of 235 Old 10-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have look at the poll ...

I cant make any conclusion out of it.

They all seems to have 2-3 votes on each of the hours.
post #57 of 235 Old 10-05-2010, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

Yeah right now it looks really random and almost like the bulb could just pop at anytime. Over time as the sample size increases we should start to see a standard deviation show up.
post #58 of 235 Old 10-05-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

Just an observation, but ofc the [manufacturer] is going to post the high-end life of the bulb, which could be a large standard deviation of time greater than the actual average lifespan of the bulb.
post #59 of 235 Old 10-06-2010, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I would guess / hope that if you are running the lamp in optimal cooling and electrical environment (which many do not), that you'd likely get towards the upper end of the range. I bet some of the blow-outs are from people running in a warm room, or their PJ is too close to the ceiling creating a heat island (who knows though for sure).

post #60 of 235 Old 10-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:

I would guess / hope that if you are running the lamp in optimal cooling and electrical environment (which many do not), that you'd likely get towards the upper end of the range. I bet some of the blow-outs are from people running in a warm room, or their PJ is too close to the ceiling creating a heat island (who knows though for sure).

My projector is on a bookshelf, about 2 1/2 feet from the ceiling, it is pretty much around 75-77 degrees in my home all the time when the projector is running. I do use a combination of low lamp for movies, and high for HDTV. My bulb went out at around 1,700 hours. I am not worried about my current bulb going out, because Epson sent me a new one for the one I replaced myself, and said they'll send me another if my current bulb goes out before 2,000 hours. It only took them about 4 days to get the bulb to me. I doubt I would get that kind of customer service from Panasonic.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 6100 1080p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8100 Home Theatre Projector V11h336120 , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500 Ub Lcd Projector V11h337020
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page