Epson 6100, 8100, 6500ub, 8500ub, 7500ub, 9500ub Post Pre-Mature Lamp Failure here - Page 8 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: How Many Hours did you get on your first Bulb? Vote again for mutliple used bulbs.
300 or less Hours 0 0%
500 Hours 0 0%
700 Hours 1 20.00%
900 Hours 1 20.00%
1100 Hours 1 20.00%
1300 Hours 1 20.00%
1700 Hours 0 0%
2000 Hours 0 0%
2500 Hours 1 20.00%
3000 + Hours and Counting 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 236 Old 12-06-2012, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
EPSON 8500UB here:

3/15/2010 Purchased.
Approx 6/2010, first bulb burns out with 767 hours. EPSON sends replacement bulb.
9/1/2010 - second bulb burns out with approx 400 hours on it. EPSON sends refurbushed projector (wait - how much did I pay for a scratched unit again? . . . uh . . . hmmm . . .)
1/5/2011 - third bulb (now in refurbished projector) goes out with 1022 hours on it.
EPSON claims there was a manufacturing defect that is now solved.
9/15/2011 - fourth bulb burns out after 1785 hours - halfway (kind of) to the stated 4000!
7/20/2012 - fifth bulb burns out after 1405 hours. I am now out of warrantee, so pay $300 something for a new bulb.
9/15/2012 - sixth bulb is showing massive red shift in image. EPSON customer service is all gone - they think the unit is now defective, and that my recently purchased bulb is still fine! Had I any idea that the EPSON bulbs would only last 1,000 hours, I would have never purchased from this company.
12/5/2012 - sixth bulb burns out with 893 hours on it.

My projector is in a basement - typically very cool room - about 10 inches from a drop ceiling. Regular modes, no additional fans on the unit. I think that EPSON just does not understand how to correctly cool their bulbs is all, and I don't think that they care too much either. Too bad - I spent some time doing research and figured short life bulbs was a fluke, but no more. I wish I knew what percent of owners have longer life bulbs, and whether there is a defect with my unit or what, but EPSON never bothered to get back on me with my new projector they replaced with a refurbished one, so I really feel like I was taken to the wood shed on this whole thing. I mean, does ANYONE get 3,000 hours? What percent? 25? 50? 75? Am I one of just 2% of users? If I buy a new one will I likely get 2,000 hours?

EPSON is certainly not forthcoming with any imformation like this, which leads me to believe that this is more common than not. They basically ask one thing: "Are you in warrantee?" If yes, here is a new bulb, if no - have a nice day.

They are quick to point out that the bulbs last "up to" 4,000 hours and that there is no guarantee (except for a 30 day one!) I foolishly did the math at half capacity and figured since I would SURELY get 2,000 hours, I would be fine with that, but I have never gotten 2,000 hours. Heck, I felt good when I broke 1,500 hours - that is a THIRD of what they inidicate the bulbs will do.

Oh well - live and learn. I will just probably NOT do business with this company ever again. Kind of turns me off on their printers, too, by the way . . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 236 Old 12-08-2012, 09:58 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmvick View Post

EPSON 8500UB here:
3/15/2010 Purchased.
Approx 6/2010, first bulb burns out with 767 hours. EPSON sends replacement bulb.
9/1/2010 - second bulb burns out with approx 400 hours on it. EPSON sends refurbushed projector (wait - how much did I pay for a scratched unit again? . . . uh . . . hmmm . . .)
1/5/2011 - third bulb (now in refurbished projector) goes out with 1022 hours on it.
EPSON claims there was a manufacturing defect that is now solved.
9/15/2011 - fourth bulb burns out after 1785 hours - halfway (kind of) to the stated 4000!
7/20/2012 - fifth bulb burns out after 1405 hours. I am now out of warrantee, so pay $300 something for a new bulb.
9/15/2012 - sixth bulb is showing massive red shift in image. EPSON customer service is all gone - they think the unit is now defective, and that my recently purchased bulb is still fine! Had I any idea that the EPSON bulbs would only last 1,000 hours, I would have never purchased from this company.
12/5/2012 - sixth bulb burns out with 893 hours on it.
My projector is in a basement - typically very cool room - about 10 inches from a drop ceiling. Regular modes, no additional fans on the unit. I think that EPSON just does not understand how to correctly cool their bulbs is all, and I don't think that they care too much either. Too bad - I spent some time doing research and figured short life bulbs was a fluke, but no more. I wish I knew what percent of owners have longer life bulbs, and whether there is a defect with my unit or what, but EPSON never bothered to get back on me with my new projector they replaced with a refurbished one, so I really feel like I was taken to the wood shed on this whole thing. I mean, does ANYONE get 3,000 hours? What percent? 25? 50? 75? Am I one of just 2% of users? If I buy a new one will I likely get 2,000 hours?
EPSON is certainly not forthcoming with any imformation like this, which leads me to believe that this is more common than not. They basically ask one thing: "Are you in warrantee?" If yes, here is a new bulb, if no - have a nice day.
They are quick to point out that the bulbs last "up to" 4,000 hours and that there is no guarantee (except for a 30 day one!) I foolishly did the math at half capacity and figured since I would SURELY get 2,000 hours, I would be fine with that, but I have never gotten 2,000 hours. Heck, I felt good when I broke 1,500 hours - that is a THIRD of what they inidicate the bulbs will do.
Oh well - live and learn. I will just probably NOT do business with this company ever again. Kind of turns me off on their printers, too, by the way . . . .

I'm with you. Three bulbs blew at less than 1k hours. All at ecco until the bulb was too dim (problem in itself) at around 750 hours.

Epson lost me as advocate with the bulb issue. The 4k bulb claim was one of my factor in choosing the 8500. Consistently getting 1/4 of that claim is a big miss for Epson and trashes the "price/value" of the product. If I had known upfront the bulb would only last 1k hours, I would have calculated the lifetime value differently and likely chosen a different brand/model.

Speaking of lifetime value, I am one of the many dealing with the "pink band". Basically, the unit is worthless at less than 3 years. I've gone from being an Epson advocate to a "detractor". I advise everyone to stay away from the brand. A shame, because when it worked, the picture was great. Not worth the price, though, in the big picture.

Now I need to start looking toward my next brand of projector. Panny, JVC, Sony?
post #213 of 236 Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 AM

Epson TW2000 same as the 8500UB,Purchased new Feb 2009 here in Australia.Unit has been a great projector replaced first lamp under warranty at 2700hrs around 2 years due to image blur hadn't blown but was getting dim.Sent unit in for a check over got a firmware upgrade.Came back from Epson with a new bulb installed.Second bulb lasted to 2200hrs and popped.On third bulb now after market OME replacement 10 hours, Epson was out of lamps for my model so got after market a bit cheaper picture quality on new lamp sharp like first lamp no lamp smell possibly Chinese not sure.See how it goes 2000 hour or 6 months warranty same as Epson Lamp.

First bulb had a bad acrid smell for about 600 hrs picture quality perfect for 2000 hours.Second bulb acrid smell for about 100 hours picture quality not as sharp as the first lamp picture quality dropped off around 1800 hours and a little blurry.Blame myself for reduced life on second lamp would turn off projector and turn it back on without letting it cool down correctly often.A few power failures.

Overall very happy getting 4900 hours out of two lamps and not having to fork out for a new lamp for nearly 4 years.Projector is main unit gets about 3.5 hours usage per day, gaming, movies, TV.Room average size high ceilings, mounted on a wall shelf gets air filter replaced every 6 months.Will use this unit for another year and upgrade to a new Epson will of course do my home work and buy a run out model with the best reviews don't need the latest and greatest.

I will say I do believe a lot of issues with projector lamps failing early has a lot to do with bad batches of Chinese lamps made at the lowest cost.Like a lot of manufactures trying to ride the yellow brick road to riches they have all been caught with inferior quality products and burnt.Sign of the times.I also do think letting the unit heat up and cool down correctly does extend bulb life.
post #214 of 236 Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 PM

Pop. 8100. 1200hrs. First bulb. Out of warranty.
post #215 of 236 Old 04-26-2013, 11:48 PM

Is there any point of getting used epson projector without warranty?
I mean if lamps pop around 1000h...

I`ve been looking for 6500ub/8500ub and now i ran into opportunity to purchase a dirt-cheap 7500ub with low hours, but then i saw this thread...

Has anyone ever clocked over 3000h on their lamps with epson pj`s?
post #216 of 236 Old 04-27-2013, 07:55 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donhou View Post

Is there any point of getting used epson projector without warranty?
I mean if lamps pop around 1000h...

I`ve been looking for 6500ub/8500ub and now i ran into opportunity to purchase a dirt-cheap 7500ub with low hours, but then i saw this thread...

Has anyone ever clocked over 3000h on their lamps with epson pj`s?

I'm on my 4th bulb on an 8500. First bulb to make to 1000 even with eco!! This one made it to 1,300.

To make matter worse, I started getting the red/pink band of death last year and with new bulb it is horrible. I also now have a blue band on the bottom.

I've tried everything (overscan, overshoot) to hide the bands, but they are still there. Unwatchable.

I was hopping to wait another year to get a trickle down 4k projector, but looks like I'll need to get a replacement this year. I'll probably buy a Sony or JVC.

Lesson learned: Never buy Epson.
post #217 of 236 Old 05-11-2013, 01:20 AM

Liked: 11
my fourth bulb blew and I'm out of warranty. Epson always told me " don't worry, we got a bad batch of bulbs, your projector is fine, we are sending you a new bulb for free." when my 4th bulb blew they told me it was a hardware issue and I will have to pay to have my projector fixed. I believe this was their plan all along, replace bulbs until warranty was up. I filed a complaint with bbb and they haven't responded to it after bbb tried to get a hold of them twice. I am now fishing in forums for a lawyer to file a class action lawsuit; there are hundreds of people who had the same problem that I'm sure will sign on.
Rhansen likes this.
post #218 of 236 Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM

Well I have same story:

Room 65-78, filter cleaned every month, THX Mode, calibrated with Home Theater Essentials.

MAR 2010 purchased projector, bulb out by Jun 2011 bought replacement from Projector people (EPSON OEM)
then bulb got super dim, no indicator light, purchased Bulb from Epson.com March 2012. Now April 2013
bulb out, not more than 600hr/bulb. I only watch movies (Blu-ray), about 10hr/week.
Epson - " out of warranty" send to repair facility. Been in the shop since End of April. Shop tells me that I need
new ballast, and 4 cooling fans $500 parts and $200 in labor. After all this still need to get a $300 bulb.
Am very disappointed, when the new bulb used, picture is remarkable, however less then 1000hr/bulb utterly unacceptable.

Sad, I didn't want to go and get a Panny, but am left with no choice. Will never ever purchase Epson for anything again.

mad.gif
post #219 of 236 Old 06-04-2013, 05:10 PM

My bulb id dead at 1650 hours.

epson 6100

just got off the phone with customer support and they wont do anything because its out of warranty .

anyone have luck getting free bulbs out of warranty? any tips?
post #220 of 236 Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhansen View Post

My bulb id dead at 1650 hours.

epson 6100

just got off the phone with customer support and they wont do anything because its out of warranty .

anyone have luck getting free bulbs out of warranty? any tips?

I was sent my second out-of-warranty lamp last week. (I'm 14 months out of warranty.) The representative didn't want to do anything because it is out of warranty. I repeatedly told him I wanted them to replace my projector with a new one since this has been a recurring problem since the projector was a year old. He said he couldn't do that and that mine needs to be sent in for service. I told him I wanted to speak with his supervisor, and after being on hold for about 10 minutes, he said he was sending me a new lamp. He said his supervisor was busy and couldn't talk.

So, maybe try asking for a supervisor. Last year, when I called seven months out of warranty, the representative offered a replacement lamp immediately, without my even asking. It just depends on who you talk to. Try calling multiple times. Good luck.
post #221 of 236 Old 06-05-2013, 06:01 PM

I will try again tomorrow.

I emailed them and they told me to bad.

Is anyone finding out about a class action lawsuit?
post #222 of 236 Old 06-06-2013, 06:25 AM

Liked: 11
I have the Epson 8700. I'm currently going through BBB service and Epson is just ignoring my complaint. My only action left is to spread the word on the internet about how bad Epson products are; forums & store reviews.
post #223 of 236 Old 06-06-2013, 07:27 AM

I'm going to call them again today and tell them I plan on filing a complaint with the bbb.
post #224 of 236 Old 06-06-2013, 03:59 PM

Liked: 17
i have a refurbished 6500 ub with 1500 hours on the bulb. It is the second bulb i have used. The first one had about 3700 hours before it got a little dim and i replaced it.
I have owned 3 Epson projectors in the past and all have worked flawlessly so this thread is a shocker too me!

matrixj
post #225 of 236 Old 06-06-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhansen View Post

I will try again tomorrow.

I emailed them and they told me to bad.

Is anyone finding out about a class action lawsuit?

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think you'd be able to file suit against Epson. The lamps have a 90-day warranty and are advertised to last "up to 4000 hours." There is also a disclaimer that says, "Lamp life will vary depending upon mode selected, environmental conditions and usage. Lamp brightness decreases over time."

Legally, they're protected from lawsuits regarding lamp life with this wording. You'd have to prove that there is an inherent problem in all of the projectors, not the lamps, and that would require getting access to a large number of projectors and having a professional look at each unit to see if such a defect exists.

Like I said, I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know for sure if it could or couldn't be done. I don't even know what the problem is. It could be bad lamps, a problem with the projector, or a heat issue.

I suspect that it is a heat issue, but I don't know if it is something with my setup or if something is wrong with the design of the projector. Epson told me that if it was a heat issue the projector should shut off before allowing the lamp to get hot enough to start drooping the way it did, but my projector has never shut off due to heat. Perhaps that is the problem, it isn't shutting down when it should.

What I do know is that newer models don't have these complaints about premature lamp failure, and the design of the new projectors has radically changed.
post #226 of 236 Old 06-07-2013, 07:26 AM

Shity.

Looks like I will throw it on eBay. I can't justify spending $300 every 1500 hours.
post #227 of 236 Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 AM

I ended up buying a $65 lamp on ebay, I doubt it will last as long as the original but I can get 3 of these for the price of one original.

I am getting a red tint at the top of the image. It was there before with the original bulb and I was hoping the new one would fix it.

Is there something I can do to fix that?
post #228 of 236 Old 07-01-2013, 06:52 PM
x86

Another EPSON 8500UB here:

2/1/2010: Purchased.
1/5/2011: Getting the random splotches of red stripes - EPSON replaces on warranty. (~1200 hours, but the unit is visibly dimmer)
1/20/2012: Refurb unit starts getting the red tint at the bottom of the image, EPSON replaces again on warranty (~900 hours)
Nov. 2012: finally get around to re-mounting the 8500UB (water damage/redoing the living room)
7/1/13: Bulb dims significantly overnight and then goes out the next day. (~600 hours.) EPSON declines to replace it, but offers me 15% off a replacement bulb. (and the EPSON rep was extremely nice and apologetic. granted, I would have been happier with super-rude service and a replacement lamp...)

So I decided to try a OSRAM bulb for ~$175 instead of the ~$260 OEM Phillips(?) bulb. But who knows, we shall see. My freaking PowerLite Home Cinema 720 still works... kinda bummed with EPSON right now. Maybe it is time for an 80in Sharp LCD:)
post #229 of 236 Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I purchased a 8500U new in May of 2010. In January 2011 I got the horizontal purple line across the screen and Epson replaced the projector. In August of 2011 the 2nd one got the same line. Epson then replaced the 2nd one. In November of 2012, the bulb died on the 3rd projector. I don`t remember the exact hours but it was in the hundreds. I asked Epson to replace the bulb but at that point we both figured out that I had purchased an extended warrantee from my local dealer. (Abt Electronics in Glenview Il.) Epson did not replace the lamp but Abt did.

Now, in July 2013, the lamp died again. (Once again, hours in the hundreds.) I am still under my extended warrantee at Abt and am taking the entire unit in to them today.

Frankly, if I had the budget right now, I would get another projector. To recap, in 39 months, I am on my 3rd projector, and about to be on my 3rd bulb in the 3rd projector. Given the other stories I have read on this thread and other places on the internet, I think it is fairly clear that Epson did not have this product ready for market when they released it. I will add that the Epson customer service has been good and I am happy that I bought the 4 year extended warrantee. (I never buy them but for whatever reason I did with this product.) I will also add that I am pretty happy with the projector when it is working. (Whites seem to get crushed a bit...)

Sorry to vent but my frustration level is pretty high at this point.
post #230 of 236 Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktre View Post

Pop. 8100. 1200hrs. First bulb. Out of warranty.

identical situation, 8100, 1250ish hours, bulb blew few weeks ago, also having convergence issues so its time for a new projector
post #231 of 236 Old 01-10-2014, 04:22 PM

Add another one to the list. Got my 8500ub as a refurb at the beginning of 12/2012, don't know how many hours on it, but I would estimate around 1200 (will confirm once the bulb is replaced).

The actual bulb seems ok, but this wire corroded off the back. Is this a typical failure? I'm likely going with a Genie one for the next one in hopes it's not significantly worse. Thanks.

7q9k.jpg
post #232 of 236 Old 01-13-2014, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixj3 View Post

i have a refurbished 6500 ub with 1500 hours on the bulb. It is the second bulb i have used. The first one had about 3700 hours before it got a little dim and i replaced it.
I have owned 3 Epson projectors in the past and all have worked flawlessly so this thread is a shocker too me!

I've got a refurb 6500 as well.. pusing 3000hrs on my original bulb. It's in the basement which is always pretty cool. I'm running in the econ mode since its a dark room. I actually haven't cleaned any filters yet, guess I should do that eek.gif

Ron
Cincinnati, OH
post #233 of 236 Old 01-19-2014, 12:24 AM

I have a 25 month old 6500UB refurb and 1600 hours on the original bulb. Factory settings. Not sure about eco mode. Was not using high altitude setting. Mounted free from walls and 8" from ceiling.

Sat down to watch TV last night after being gone for a week and noticed image was very dim. Today, it won't light and I get the flashing lamp indicator.

Tried reseating lamp assembly but no change. Disassembled lamp assembly and it looks pristine. No dust. No blackened or corroded wires. Capsule is clear. Was expecting to see some discoloration. Now worried that it's the projector and buying a new lamp would be money wasted.

Big bummer because we were going to have people over to watch the Seahawks tomorrow. Had to cancel.
post #234 of 236 Old 01-19-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I own two 6500UB's. I bought an extra for a spare because I liked the picture quality so much.

You have a typical bulb failure. Search the net for genuine a Epson bulb, there can be quite a price
difference between dealers.

No one knows how long a bulb will last...
post #235 of 236 Old 04-23-2014, 08:11 PM

I started looking around the web for information about 8500UB lamp life. Did so because I am experiencing lamp failure at under 800 hours. I don't use hi alt mode but room temperature is rarely much above 70. Ceiling mount with airspace all around unit. From what I read about the lamp life on the various forums 4000 hours must be on another planet.mad.gif

post #236 of 236 Old 10-18-2014, 03:48 PM

Gone through two ELPLP49 lamps in our 8500ub. Average use 1 hour per day.
Lamp one lasted 1042 hours. Second genuine Epson lamp lasted 672 hours.
Mounted 14" from ceiling. Even rigged up a fan near intake to help cool it.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 6100 1080p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8100 Home Theatre Projector V11h336120 , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500 Ub Lcd Projector V11h337020
Gear in this thread - V11h336120 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page