Epson 6100, 8100, 6500ub, 8500ub, 7500ub, 9500ub Post Pre-Mature Lamp Failure here - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: How Many Hours did you get on your first Bulb? Vote again for mutliple used bulbs.
300 or less Hours 0 0%
500 Hours 0 0%
700 Hours 1 50.00%
900 Hours 1 50.00%
1100 Hours 0 0%
1300 Hours 0 0%
1700 Hours 0 0%
2000 Hours 0 0%
2500 Hours 0 0%
3000 + Hours and Counting 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 235 Old 09-18-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mat82284's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Transparently this is a major issue that I keep reading in all threads 6100, 8100, 6500ub, 7500ub, 8500ub, 9500ub, and im sure the newer ones 8350, and 8700ub will be affected as well.

I just wanted to help sort things out to see if we can actually see a trend, or a possible way to fix the issue our selves. I'm going to buy the 8700ub or 8500ub soon and I want to take extra pro-cations not to have a premature bulb failure.

Please vote in the poll about bulb life. Just click the nearest one that you would round to. To if you have 150hours just put 200hours. If you have 149 hours you can pick 100hours. Just round like you would in math class.

ONLY VOTE IF YOUR BULB HAS POPPED. DON'T VOTE IF ITS STILL WORKS, INSTEAD ANSWER THE QUESTIONS BELOW.

1) What is the temperature of the room on average? How often do you clean your filter?
2) what size room do you have, is the room big or small, is it near a window or AC unit?
3) Did you make custom fans to point at the projector to help flow?
4) Do you use high alt mode?
5) what settings do you use? like pre-made modes, or your own custom calibrations?

I figured this could help us determine if the bulb design is bad, or the projectors just don't like certain conditions. Or maybe is possible the projector just cant remove the heat fast enough.

If anyone can think of anything else to add feel free to post. Thanks for taking your time to read this and helping the rest of the AV community address this issue.
mat82284 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 235 Old 09-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Senior Member
 
tomd51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A suggestion mat, your poll reads as though if you select anything other than the '3000 + and counting' option, your first bulb didn't last past the selected option. You will likely have many 8100 owners that haven't come close to the 3000 mark, but may not have had any issues w/their bulb or unit. Not sure if you can modify your poll, but you may want to consider it.

In my particular case, I purchased the 8100 in Jan of 2010, have encountered no lamp or unit issues and I'm currently at 180h. My HT setup was out of commission for a couple months which results in the low usage, but I've yet to experience any abnormalities or oddities with my bulb or the Epson 8100 itself... -TD
tomd51 is offline  
post #3 of 235 Old 09-18-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mat82284's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd51 View Post

A suggestion mat, your poll reads as though if you select anything other than the '3000 + and counting' option, your first bulb didn't last past the selected option. You will likely have many 8100 owners that haven't come close to the 3000 mark, but may not have had any issues w/their bulb or unit. Not sure if you can modify your poll, but you may want to consider it.

In my particular case, I purchased the 8100 in Jan of 2010, have encountered no lamp or unit issues and I'm currently at 180h. My HT setup was out of commission for a couple months which results in the low usage, but I've yet to experience any abnormalities or oddities with my bulb or the Epson 8100 itself... -TD

Thanks tom, I don't quite understand what your trying to saythough. What im looking for is everyone to vote when there bulb blew, or when there second or third bulb blew. I'm not looking for the lifetime of the unit, just the hours the bulb was used before it popped. I understand most 8500ub owners and 8100 owners wont reach 3000+ unless they used it every day. I'm only looking for users to vote if there bulb popped, and not currently working.

If its working, I'd like them to post with there hours and how long they've had it and pictures of the setup to see if we can find a reason for premature bulb failures. Its a long shot, but here's to hoping.
mat82284 is offline  
post #4 of 235 Old 09-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Member
 
ericpizzapie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 8100 was purchased in Nov. '09 and the first bulb blew around the 650 hr. range. Epson kindly shipped me a new one and I'm at 285 hrs. w/ no problems. I have dusted the unit religiously and cleaned the filter every 75 hrs. or so. We'll see what happens after 600 hours on this bulb.
ericpizzapie is offline  
post #5 of 235 Old 09-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
tomd51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post

Thanks tom, I don't quite understand what your trying to saythough. What im looking for is everyone to vote when there bulb blew, or when there second or third bulb blew. I'm not looking for the lifetime of the unit, just the hours the bulb was used before it popped. I understand most 8500ub owners and 8100 owners wont reach 3000+ unless they used it every day. I'm only looking for users to vote if there bulb popped, and not currently working.

If its working, I'd like them to post with there hours and how long they've had it and pictures of the setup to see if we can find a reason for premature bulb failures. Its a long shot, but here's to hoping.

Understood, I was just going off your post in the 8100 thread:

"Anyone who has experienced lamp issues, or if you haven't please post or fallow this thread."

I fell under the "if you haven't" group, so I wasn't sure about the poll. I'll add some details about my setup in a bit, thanks for clarifying... -TD
tomd51 is offline  
post #6 of 235 Old 09-18-2010, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,969
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
(censored) No longer want to discuss Epson lamps.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #7 of 235 Old 09-20-2010, 08:14 AM
PLB
Senior Member
 
PLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had very good luck with my first projector's bulbs and rather worse luck with my current projector. I think this is a common story. Luck.

That's why I, like so many others, really, really want a bright cheap LED based projector. The UHP bulb makes affordable HT projectors possible but it is a crap shoot. You seem to be implying that Epson bulbs are worse that those of other brands.

Is that true?
What is the evidence?
Why should it be, if it is true?

I believe that the cheaper (circa $200) Chinese lamps are inferior to the more expensive (circa $300) original equipment Japanese lamps. I hold this belief because (1.) it is widely reported, (2.) I've experienced it myself, (3.) and it makes sense in a you-get-what-you-pay-for kind of way.

But Epson parts are in a lot of projectors. They seem to work just fine. Why would Epson make inferior lamps? They are not in the cheap knock-off business. Or if it's some Epson specific configuration that blows their lamps early - what is that configuration?

It sounds to me like this focus on Epson is superstition.
PLB is offline  
post #8 of 235 Old 09-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
chong67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Example like BP.

Going cheap on the well head and now it spills, you end up paying more.

In faat, anything you do like in business or your future, if you dont play well early, you end up paying more later. (Usually).

So now back to Epson, did they know this type of bulb have problems from the suppliers? Or was the PJ itself not well design?

I dont know. I am asking you.
chong67 is offline  
post #9 of 235 Old 09-20-2010, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,969
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
(censored) No longer want to discuss Epson lamps.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #10 of 235 Old 09-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Senior Member
 
tomd51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Having previously owned a Mitsubishi HC3000 and being relatively pleased w/its performance, I was following both the threads for the Mits HC3800 and the Epson 8100 for about 3-4 months before going with the 8100 in January of this year. Hadn't seen an overwhelming amount of issues w/bulbs in the 3800 thread, but there were a handful or so. Most of the issues w/the 3800 I saw were in relation to sporadic shutdown problems that many believe to be firmware related or early model issues, but I don't think there was any specific cause that Mits confirmed to causing this, not a big surprise there as I wouldn't expect it from most electronic manufacturers unless there was a recall.

Like any projector, they (the 8100 and 3800) are likely to have some model specific issues and whiile it may look like a large amount of users are having issues, it's difficult to determine without knowing the amount of projector sales worldwide and amount of repeat support issues without the numbers directly from the manufacturer, which isn't ever going to be known outside of the organization.

What might alarm owners or prospective buyers is seeing the postings on AVS and other forums. What has to be considered is the amount of users that aren't encountering any problems. Folks are generally more likely to post problems in hopes to resolve them than folks just simply enjoying their projector or purchase problem-free. Another consideration is users that may encounter issues, but never do anything about them nor contact support. Again w/out specific numbers for the amount of support issues reported and the number of projector sales, its really just speculation... -TD
tomd51 is offline  
post #11 of 235 Old 09-20-2010, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mat82284's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd51 View Post

Having previously owned a Mitsubishi HC3000 and being relatively pleased w/its performance, I was following both the threads for the Mits HC3800 and the Epson 8100 for about 3-4 months before going with the 8100 in January of this year. Hadn't seen an overwhelming amount of issues w/bulbs in the 3800 thread, but there were a handful or so. Most of the issues w/the 3800 I saw were in relation to sporadic shutdown problems that many believe to be firmware related or early model issues, but I don't think there was any specific cause that Mits confirmed to causing this, not a big surprise there as I wouldn't expect it from most electronic manufacturers unless there was a recall.

Like any projector, they (the 8100 and 3800) are likely to have some model specific issues and whiile it may look like a large amount of users are having issues, it's difficult to determine without knowing the amount of projector sales worldwide and amount of repeat support issues without the numbers directly from the manufacturer, which isn't ever going to be known outside of the organization.

What might alarm owners or prospective buyers is seeing the postings on AVS and other forums. What has to be considered is the amount of users that aren't encountering any problems. Folks are generally more likely to post problems in hopes to resolve them than folks just simply enjoying their projector or purchase problem-free. Another consideration is users that may encounter issues, but never do anything about them nor contact support. Again w/out specific numbers for the amount of support issues reported and the number of projector sales, its really just speculation... -TD

I agree, I wanted this thread to show the average amount of hours one could expect from the bulbs based on pop rates. I know this is perfect and there is a flaw since im not counting working bulbs, but if its working then one day it'll eventually pop with will put it into this category anyways. So the average will change over time to a more legit number.

I was also hoping the who's bulbs are working fine would post in this topic to help remove some of the speculation that all bulbs are bad and pop since most people who have working projectors dont post. The more we hear of bulbs lasting the more we can understand whats going on. Its also a good idea to compare how people store there units, as we all know heat kills bulbs. This is why I was hoping people who have had there bulbs pop or not pop post up photos of there projector mounted and there average room temp to get an idea to see if maybe we can find out what actually causes the bulbs to pop or to see if they just totally suck from the beginning.

The good: Epson has wonderful customer service, and Ive heard of free bulb replacements with users who were near 2k hours. Panasonic would never do that, let alone after the 90 day warranty period. Epson has my buy just because of this reason. I'd pay more for a company who stands behind there product as much as possible, plus there is a 2 year warranty vs 1 year on the panny.
mat82284 is offline  
post #12 of 235 Old 09-20-2010, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,969
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
(censored) No longer want to discuss Epson lamps.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #13 of 235 Old 09-21-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jayn_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The problem is that this poll will produce skewed results. Tomd51 hit it right on the head.

People who have had lamp failures will post because there is a place, and they are annoyed. Anyone with less than 3000 hours who hasn't had a lamp failure won't post at all because there is no place. Since it takes awhile to get to 3000 hours, especially on a HT projector you are only going to get reports about the problem units.
jayn_j is offline  
post #14 of 235 Old 09-21-2010, 07:09 AM
 
dysfunction26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think Epson should offer up a free bulb, since the bulbs don't seem to break the 2,000 mark. Mine only lasted about 1,800, and they are rated at 4,000 hours. That's pretty sad that it could not even make it to 50% of the claimed lamp life.
dysfunction26 is offline  
post #15 of 235 Old 09-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Member
 
JaB240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

I think Epson should offer up a free bulb, since the bulbs don't seem to break the 2,000 mark. Mine only lasted about 1,800, and they are rated at 4,000 hours. That's pretty sad that it could not even make it to 50% of the claimed lamp life.

Pretty much everyone that's posted about a premature bulb problem have recieved free bulbs from Epson. Some with even as many hours on their original bulb as you.
JaB240 is offline  
post #16 of 235 Old 09-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
chong67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
3 person has 2000+ hrs. We need more sampling. Wish Epson would just give us the info.
chong67 is offline  
post #17 of 235 Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Gil Arroyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SEATTLE, WA
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Try a couple of things to prolong the lamp life:

1. Clean the filter regularly.

2. Change the High Altitude setting to ON. This will result in a higher fan speed (and a little more fan noise), and cooler operation with less chance for electrode support bending and failure.

g
blake18 likes this.
Gil Arroyo is offline  
post #18 of 235 Old 09-21-2010, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mat82284's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

The problem is that this poll will produce skewed results. Tomd51 hit it right on the head.

People who have had lamp failures will post because there is a place, and they are annoyed. Anyone with less than 3000 hours who hasn't had a lamp failure won't post at all because there is no place. Since it takes awhile to get to 3000 hours, especially on a HT projector you are only going to get reports about the problem units.


Like I mentioned before the poll will work over time. It'll just be screwed for the 8500b and new models, since most of those models haven't had any time to get to 3000+

I'm not looking for people to vote who currently have working bulbs, that would mess up the results since they would eventually vote again with a higher number. I'm looking for the end result. Only after the bulb pops. Eventually Every bulb out there will pop and when it does they can vote. This helps keep the results from being screwed and helps keep give the sample a chance to grow. There is already a ton of 6500ub, 6100, and users who are out there that probably had enough time to reach 3000 if the bulbs let them.
mat82284 is offline  
post #19 of 235 Old 09-21-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
erikjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post

Like I mentioned before the poll will work over time. It'll just be screwed for the 8500b and new models, since most of those models haven't had any time to get to 3000+

I'm not looking for people to vote who currently have working bulbs, that would mess up the results since they would eventually vote again with a higher number. I'm looking for the end result. Only after the bulb pops. Eventually Every bulb out there will pop and when it does they can vote. This helps keep the results from being screwed and helps keep give the sample a chance to grow. There is already a ton of 6500ub, 6100, and users who are out there that probably had enough time to reach 3000 if the bulbs let them.

I am almost at 2800 hrs but unfortunately on bulb #3. However bulb number three is running on Theater (Red backed of -13), Eco mode, and High altitude. I think I got all bases covered and pic is still plenty bright. 4k hours here we come

Edit......Forgot to mention - When use....Keep on for least two hours to let bulb properly heat to temperature and when done.....turn off for at least two hours to let properly cool to room temp before turning on again.

RX-Z9 to KHORNS/SVS & FULL HERITAGE 8.3 HT Setup

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it
erikjohn is offline  
post #20 of 235 Old 09-21-2010, 10:20 PM
 
dysfunction26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaB240 View Post

Pretty much everyone that's posted about a premature bulb problem have recieved free bulbs from Epson. Some with even as many hours on their original bulb as you.

How did they go about getting a free bulb?
dysfunction26 is offline  
post #21 of 235 Old 09-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Senior Member
 
tomd51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From what I've seen of users w/bulb issues, contacting Epson support has resulted in them providing a replacement bulb free of charge. -TD
tomd51 is offline  
post #22 of 235 Old 09-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Member
 
fursale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: maynardville,tn,us
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 8500UB is on 3 1/2 months old and the bulb (940 hrs) is extremely weak.I emailed Epson tech support today.I hooked my 73734 Mitsubishi back up and it is MUCH brighter.
Hope their tech support is as good as reported.
fursale is offline  
post #23 of 235 Old 09-24-2010, 11:54 AM
 
dysfunction26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow! I called Epson, and they gladly shipped me a free replacement bulb. The guy told me if the bulb I have already replaced on my own dime goes out early, just to call back and they'd replace that one too. He said just to keep track of the hours on my current bulb. I think the new bulb is only at around 600-700 hours. I plan on upgrading in April of 2011, looks like it will be another Epson.

Epson has been great as far as customer service, even though I could do without their tier 1 customer service. Once you get past them, they are great. I hope the 8350 is comparable to what I have now, or slightly better.
dysfunction26 is offline  
post #24 of 235 Old 09-24-2010, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mat82284's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

Wow! I called Epson, and they gladly shipped me a free replacement bulb. The guy told me if the bulb I have already replaced on my own dime goes out early, just to call back and they'd replace that one too. He said just to keep track of the hours on my current bulb. I think the new bulb is only at around 600-700 hours. I plan on upgrading in April of 2011, looks like it will be another Epson.

Epson has been great as far as customer service, even though I could do without their tier 1 customer service. Once you get past them, they are great. I hope the 8350 is comparable to what I have now, or slightly better.

Thats great to hear!! I just purchased the 8500ub so time will tell what happens with that bulb.

I'm guessing the new 8700ub and 8350 have newer bulb tech in them that allow them to reach 5000hours since thats what epson says they run till. Hopefully those bulbs are epson's new design and you end up with the new one that actually lasts a long time, but only time will tell.

When you get it can you take a photo of it and when the 8350's and 8700's ship we can try to get someone to take photos of that lamp to compare and see if there is a difference.

Also compare the new lamp to the old one in your pj, and tell us if you see any difference between them at all, if you do please post photos.

I'm glad epson still keeps its current customers happy! Thats why I bought the epson over they panny. I've heard stories of panny lamps going out from 300-1000 hours and forced to buy a new one. Of course the number of these issues is minimal compared to epson.
mat82284 is offline  
post #25 of 235 Old 09-27-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,969
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
(censored) No longer want to discuss Epson lamps.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #26 of 235 Old 09-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Senior Member
 
ZenithPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It looks that way. Not good for me since I have used a projector as my main tv for years. The last projector I had was a mitsubishi 720 dlp and I went through nearly 3 bulbs getting more than 2000 hours on all of them, without any issues, other than becoming a little dimmer as I got past that mark.
ZenithPete is offline  
post #27 of 235 Old 09-27-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,969
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
(censored) No longer want to discuss Epson lamps.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #28 of 235 Old 09-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Member
 
fursale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: maynardville,tn,us
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fursale View Post

My 8500UB is on 3 1/2 months old and the bulb (940 hrs) is extremely weak.I emailed Epson tech support today.I hooked my 73734 Mitsubishi back up and it is MUCH brighter.
Hope their tech support is as good as reported.

Bulb totally out now (1050 hrs.)
Finally talked to Epson rep today and new bulb is on the way NC.
I took the lamp out and the bulb which is about 1 inch long inside the capsule is drooping down about 1/4 inch from the end.
fursale is offline  
post #29 of 235 Old 09-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Newbie
 
mitchell2038's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First one around 800 hours
Second one at 317 hours.

Someone I read received a bulb from Japan. Both my dead ones are from China. Can everyone verify what bulbs died and what ones they were replaced with?
mitchell2038 is offline  
post #30 of 235 Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Newbie
 
mitchell2038's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1) What is the temperature of the room on average? How often do you clean your filter?74 Degreed

2) what size room do you have, is the room big or small, is it near a window or AC unit?
Big Room 20ft ceilings.

3) Did you make custom fans to point at the projector to help flow?
No need to its very open. Projector is mounted in hole where 42" tv would fit along with projector.

4) Do you use high alt mode?
No but I cant tell if it came from factory that way because bulb is dead.

5) what settings do you use? like pre-made modes, or your own custom calibrations?
First projector I used auto iris. Might have turned overscan down like second one.

Replacement only setting changed was Overscan from factory on second one. From 8% to 2%


Im suspecting its the bulbs from China. I havent personally received a bulb from Japan but I read someone else did but did not see any posts from them after.
mitchell2038 is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 6100 1080p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8100 Home Theatre Projector V11h336120 , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500 Ub Lcd Projector V11h337020
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off