AVS Forum banner

How Many Hours did you get on your first Bulb? Vote again for mutliple used bulbs.

48K views 236 replies 97 participants last post by  multit 
#1 ·
Transparently this is a major issue that I keep reading in all threads 6100, 8100, 6500ub, 7500ub, 8500ub, 9500ub, and im sure the newer ones 8350, and 8700ub will be affected as well.

I just wanted to help sort things out to see if we can actually see a trend, or a possible way to fix the issue our selves. I'm going to buy the 8700ub or 8500ub soon and I want to take extra pro-cations not to have a premature bulb failure.

Please vote in the poll about bulb life. Just click the nearest one that you would round to. To if you have 150hours just put 200hours. If you have 149 hours you can pick 100hours. Just round like you would in math class.

ONLY VOTE IF YOUR BULB HAS POPPED. DON'T VOTE IF ITS STILL WORKS, INSTEAD ANSWER THE QUESTIONS BELOW.

1) What is the temperature of the room on average? How often do you clean your filter?

2) what size room do you have, is the room big or small, is it near a window or AC unit?

3) Did you make custom fans to point at the projector to help flow?

4) Do you use high alt mode?

5) what settings do you use? like pre-made modes, or your own custom calibrations?

I figured this could help us determine if the bulb design is bad, or the projectors just don't like certain conditions. Or maybe is possible the projector just cant remove the heat fast enough.

If anyone can think of anything else to add feel free to post. Thanks for taking your time to read this and helping the rest of the AV community address this issue.

See less See more
#2 ·
A suggestion mat, your poll reads as though if you select anything other than the '3000 + and counting' option, your first bulb didn't last past the selected option. You will likely have many 8100 owners that haven't come close to the 3000 mark, but may not have had any issues w/their bulb or unit. Not sure if you can modify your poll, but you may want to consider it.

In my particular case, I purchased the 8100 in Jan of 2010, have encountered no lamp or unit issues and I'm currently at 180h. My HT setup was out of commission for a couple months which results in the low usage, but I've yet to experience any abnormalities or oddities with my bulb or the Epson 8100 itself... -TD

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd51 /forum/post/19210395

A suggestion mat, your poll reads as though if you select anything other than the '3000 + and counting' option, your first bulb didn't last past the selected option. You will likely have many 8100 owners that haven't come close to the 3000 mark, but may not have had any issues w/their bulb or unit. Not sure if you can modify your poll, but you may want to consider it.

In my particular case, I purchased the 8100 in Jan of 2010, have encountered no lamp or unit issues and I'm currently at 180h. My HT setup was out of commission for a couple months which results in the low usage, but I've yet to experience any abnormalities or oddities with my bulb or the Epson 8100 itself... -TD

Thanks tom, I don't quite understand what your trying to saythough. What im looking for is everyone to vote when there bulb blew, or when there second or third bulb blew. I'm not looking for the lifetime of the unit, just the hours the bulb was used before it popped. I understand most 8500ub owners and 8100 owners wont reach 3000+ unless they used it every day. I'm only looking for users to vote if there bulb popped, and not currently working.

If its working, I'd like them to post with there hours and how long they've had it and pictures of the setup to see if we can find a reason for premature bulb failures. Its a long shot, but here's to hoping.

#4 ·
My 8100 was purchased in Nov. '09 and the first bulb blew around the 650 hr. range. Epson kindly shipped me a new one and I'm at 285 hrs. w/ no problems. I have dusted the unit religiously and cleaned the filter every 75 hrs. or so. We'll see what happens after 600 hours on this bulb.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 /forum/post/19210489

Thanks tom, I don't quite understand what your trying to saythough. What im looking for is everyone to vote when there bulb blew, or when there second or third bulb blew. I'm not looking for the lifetime of the unit, just the hours the bulb was used before it popped. I understand most 8500ub owners and 8100 owners wont reach 3000+ unless they used it every day. I'm only looking for users to vote if there bulb popped, and not currently working.

If its working, I'd like them to post with there hours and how long they've had it and pictures of the setup to see if we can find a reason for premature bulb failures. Its a long shot, but here's to hoping.

Understood, I was just going off your post in the 8100 thread:

"Anyone who has experienced lamp issues, or if you haven't please post or fallow this thread."

I fell under the "if you haven't" group, so I wasn't sure about the poll. I'll add some details about my setup in a bit, thanks for clarifying... -TD

#7 ·
I had very good luck with my first projector's bulbs and rather worse luck with my current projector. I think this is a common story. Luck.

That's why I, like so many others, really, really want a bright cheap LED based projector. The UHP bulb makes affordable HT projectors possible but it is a crap shoot. You seem to be implying that Epson bulbs are worse that those of other brands.

Is that true?

What is the evidence?

Why should it be, if it is true?

I believe that the cheaper (circa $200) Chinese lamps are inferior to the more expensive (circa $300) original equipment Japanese lamps. I hold this belief because (1.) it is widely reported, (2.) I've experienced it myself, (3.) and it makes sense in a you-get-what-you-pay-for kind of way.

But Epson parts are in a lot of projectors. They seem to work just fine. Why would Epson make inferior lamps? They are not in the cheap knock-off business. Or if it's some Epson specific configuration that blows their lamps early - what is that configuration?

It sounds to me like this focus on Epson is superstition.

#8 ·
Example like BP.

Going cheap on the well head and now it spills, you end up paying more.

In faat, anything you do like in business or your future, if you dont play well early, you end up paying more later. (Usually).

So now back to Epson, did they know this type of bulb have problems from the suppliers? Or was the PJ itself not well design?

I dont know. I am asking you.

#10 ·
Having previously owned a Mitsubishi HC3000 and being relatively pleased w/its performance, I was following both the threads for the Mits HC3800 and the Epson 8100 for about 3-4 months before going with the 8100 in January of this year. Hadn't seen an overwhelming amount of issues w/bulbs in the 3800 thread, but there were a handful or so. Most of the issues w/the 3800 I saw were in relation to sporadic shutdown problems that many believe to be firmware related or early model issues, but I don't think there was any specific cause that Mits confirmed to causing this, not a big surprise there as I wouldn't expect it from most electronic manufacturers unless there was a recall.

Like any projector, they (the 8100 and 3800) are likely to have some model specific issues and whiile it may look like a large amount of users are having issues, it's difficult to determine without knowing the amount of projector sales worldwide and amount of repeat support issues without the numbers directly from the manufacturer, which isn't ever going to be known outside of the organization.

What might alarm owners or prospective buyers is seeing the postings on AVS and other forums. What has to be considered is the amount of users that aren't encountering any problems. Folks are generally more likely to post problems in hopes to resolve them than folks just simply enjoying their projector or purchase problem-free. Another consideration is users that may encounter issues, but never do anything about them nor contact support. Again w/out specific numbers for the amount of support issues reported and the number of projector sales, its really just speculation... -TD

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd51 /forum/post/19219500

Having previously owned a Mitsubishi HC3000 and being relatively pleased w/its performance, I was following both the threads for the Mits HC3800 and the Epson 8100 for about 3-4 months before going with the 8100 in January of this year. Hadn't seen an overwhelming amount of issues w/bulbs in the 3800 thread, but there were a handful or so. Most of the issues w/the 3800 I saw were in relation to sporadic shutdown problems that many believe to be firmware related or early model issues, but I don't think there was any specific cause that Mits confirmed to causing this, not a big surprise there as I wouldn't expect it from most electronic manufacturers unless there was a recall.

Like any projector, they (the 8100 and 3800) are likely to have some model specific issues and whiile it may look like a large amount of users are having issues, it's difficult to determine without knowing the amount of projector sales worldwide and amount of repeat support issues without the numbers directly from the manufacturer, which isn't ever going to be known outside of the organization.

What might alarm owners or prospective buyers is seeing the postings on AVS and other forums. What has to be considered is the amount of users that aren't encountering any problems. Folks are generally more likely to post problems in hopes to resolve them than folks just simply enjoying their projector or purchase problem-free. Another consideration is users that may encounter issues, but never do anything about them nor contact support. Again w/out specific numbers for the amount of support issues reported and the number of projector sales, its really just speculation... -TD

I agree, I wanted this thread to show the average amount of hours one could expect from the bulbs based on pop rates. I know this is perfect and there is a flaw since im not counting working bulbs, but if its working then one day it'll eventually pop with will put it into this category anyways. So the average will change over time to a more legit number.

I was also hoping the who's bulbs are working fine would post in this topic to help remove some of the speculation that all bulbs are bad and pop since most people who have working projectors dont post. The more we hear of bulbs lasting the more we can understand whats going on. Its also a good idea to compare how people store there units, as we all know heat kills bulbs. This is why I was hoping people who have had there bulbs pop or not pop post up photos of there projector mounted and there average room temp to get an idea to see if maybe we can find out what actually causes the bulbs to pop or to see if they just totally suck from the beginning.

The good: Epson has wonderful customer service, and Ive heard of free bulb replacements with users who were near 2k hours. Panasonic would never do that, let alone after the 90 day warranty period. Epson has my buy just because of this reason. I'd pay more for a company who stands behind there product as much as possible, plus there is a 2 year warranty vs 1 year on the panny.

#13 ·
The problem is that this poll will produce skewed results. Tomd51 hit it right on the head.

People who have had lamp failures will post because there is a place, and they are annoyed. Anyone with less than 3000 hours who hasn't had a lamp failure won't post at all because there is no place. Since it takes awhile to get to 3000 hours, especially on a HT projector you are only going to get reports about the problem units.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 /forum/post/19221836

I think Epson should offer up a free bulb, since the bulbs don't seem to break the 2,000 mark. Mine only lasted about 1,800, and they are rated at 4,000 hours. That's pretty sad that it could not even make it to 50% of the claimed lamp life.

Pretty much everyone that's posted about a premature bulb problem have recieved free bulbs from Epson. Some with even as many hours on their original bulb as you.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j /forum/post/19221556

The problem is that this poll will produce skewed results. Tomd51 hit it right on the head.

People who have had lamp failures will post because there is a place, and they are annoyed. Anyone with less than 3000 hours who hasn't had a lamp failure won't post at all because there is no place. Since it takes awhile to get to 3000 hours, especially on a HT projector you are only going to get reports about the problem units.

Like I mentioned before the poll will work over time. It'll just be screwed for the 8500b and new models, since most of those models haven't had any time to get to 3000+

I'm not looking for people to vote who currently have working bulbs, that would mess up the results since they would eventually vote again with a higher number. I'm looking for the end result. Only after the bulb pops. Eventually Every bulb out there will pop and when it does they can vote. This helps keep the results from being screwed and helps keep give the sample a chance to grow. There is already a ton of 6500ub, 6100, and users who are out there that probably had enough time to reach 3000 if the bulbs let them.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 /forum/post/19222994

Like I mentioned before the poll will work over time. It'll just be screwed for the 8500b and new models, since most of those models haven't had any time to get to 3000+

I'm not looking for people to vote who currently have working bulbs, that would mess up the results since they would eventually vote again with a higher number. I'm looking for the end result. Only after the bulb pops. Eventually Every bulb out there will pop and when it does they can vote. This helps keep the results from being screwed and helps keep give the sample a chance to grow. There is already a ton of 6500ub, 6100, and users who are out there that probably had enough time to reach 3000 if the bulbs let them.

I am almost at 2800 hrs but unfortunately on bulb #3. However bulb number three is running on Theater (Red backed of -13), Eco mode, and High altitude. I think I got all bases covered and pic is still plenty bright. 4k hours here we come

Edit......Forgot to mention - When use....Keep on for least two hours to let bulb properly heat to temperature and when done.....turn off for at least two hours to let properly cool to room temp before turning on again.

#21 ·
From what I've seen of users w/bulb issues, contacting Epson support has resulted in them providing a replacement bulb free of charge. -TD

#23 ·
Wow! I called Epson, and they gladly shipped me a free replacement bulb. The guy told me if the bulb I have already replaced on my own dime goes out early, just to call back and they'd replace that one too. He said just to keep track of the hours on my current bulb. I think the new bulb is only at around 600-700 hours. I plan on upgrading in April of 2011, looks like it will be another Epson.

Epson has been great as far as customer service, even though I could do without their tier 1 customer service. Once you get past them, they are great. I hope the 8350 is comparable to what I have now, or slightly better.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 /forum/post/19239381

Wow! I called Epson, and they gladly shipped me a free replacement bulb. The guy told me if the bulb I have already replaced on my own dime goes out early, just to call back and they'd replace that one too. He said just to keep track of the hours on my current bulb. I think the new bulb is only at around 600-700 hours. I plan on upgrading in April of 2011, looks like it will be another Epson.

Epson has been great as far as customer service, even though I could do without their tier 1 customer service. Once you get past them, they are great. I hope the 8350 is comparable to what I have now, or slightly better.

Thats great to hear!! I just purchased the 8500ub so time will tell what happens with that bulb.

I'm guessing the new 8700ub and 8350 have newer bulb tech in them that allow them to reach 5000hours since thats what epson says they run till. Hopefully those bulbs are epson's new design and you end up with the new one that actually lasts a long time, but only time will tell.

When you get it can you take a photo of it and when the 8350's and 8700's ship we can try to get someone to take photos of that lamp to compare and see if there is a difference.

Also compare the new lamp to the old one in your pj, and tell us if you see any difference between them at all, if you do please post photos.

I'm glad epson still keeps its current customers happy! Thats why I bought the epson over they panny. I've heard stories of panny lamps going out from 300-1000 hours and forced to buy a new one. Of course the number of these issues is minimal compared to epson.

#26 ·
It looks that way. Not good for me since I have used a projector as my main tv for years. The last projector I had was a mitsubishi 720 dlp and I went through nearly 3 bulbs getting more than 2000 hours on all of them, without any issues, other than becoming a little dimmer as I got past that mark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.