Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda74Speed3 View Post

I have mine at 10'ft throwing to a 100"

Nice, have you adjusted zoom at all?

Did you set it at 10' because you were space limited or is that an optimal distance?

Basically I just wanna get the most lumens I can if I need to use this with ambient light, and obviously turn it down if I wanna watch movie with lights off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With 8ft ceilings and a 100" screen the minimum is 9'8". This setup is in my living room with ambient light during the day and at night completely blacked out w/ fully controllable dimmers. I came from the 8100 w/ a 120" screen at 13ft away and that was a very bright scenario. I have learned my lesson though size really above 110" is hurting the picture with the 8100/8350. I install 9500/9700 up to 120" and the outcome is better but lumens loss, color loss and black levels suffer at 120" on the 8100/8350.
post #273 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:

With 8ft ceilings and a 100" screen the minimum is 9'8". This setup is in my living room with ambient light during the day and at night completely blacked out w/ fully controllable dimmers. I came from the 8100 w/ a 120" screen at 13ft away and that was a very bright scenario.

Nice!

My ceilings are about 8.5 feet high with a living room similar to yours. I also have fully controllable dimmers.

Thanks for the good news, you should take a pic of your screen with lights on =P
post #274 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 PM

U can see my vimeo video here with ambient light and lights on when I had my 8100.

http://vimeo.com/7999423
post #275 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 07:10 PM

A pic, stupid iPhone, pic on the left is not mine.
post #276 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhahlen View Post

man, 8 pages and only one person has posted pics? This is ridiculous! More image shots!

My kingdom for a frickin' HDMI cable! I have two 25 ft cables on order now...hoping one shows up before the weekend. I drove all over town looking for a 25 ft HDMI cable that didn't cost more than the GDP of a small country...what is the deal! I think the cheapest cable I saw was $60 - absolutely ridiculous.
post #277 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:

With 8ft ceilings and a 100" screen the minimum is 9'8". This setup is in my living room with ambient light during the day and at night completely blacked out w/ fully controllable dimmers. I came from the 8100 w/ a 120" screen at 13ft away and that was a very bright scenario. I have learned my lesson though size really above 110" is hurting the picture with the 8100/8350. I install 9500/9700 up to 120" and the outcome is better but lumens loss, color loss and black levels suffer at 120" on the 8100/8350.

What makes you say this (the bolded)? I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts on this statement, and if it's accurate or not...

-Shag
post #278 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:

U can see my vimeo video here with ambient light and lights on when I had my 8100.

http://vimeo.com/7999423

nice video, awesome setup!!
post #279 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shag View Post

What makes you say this (the bolded)? I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts on this statement, and if it's accurate or not...

I have a 133" electric screen in a 20ft room, and I pretty much agree with Mazda74Speed3's assertion. I myself had pretty much come to the conclusion that if I were to replace my current screen I would likely go with a 120" fixed screen. My current screen is 8 years old and getting a little billowy. The electric screen is nice for keeping it clean - except for when it rolls up and smashes the bugs that were sitting on it!
post #280 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2rider View Post

My kingdom for a frickin' HDMI cable! I have two 25 ft cables on order now...hoping one shows up before the weekend. I drove all over town looking for a 25 ft HDMI cable that didn't cost more than the GDP of a small country...what is the deal! I think the cheapest cable I saw was $60 - absolutely ridiculous.

Oh Lordy.

I should be whipped, purged, and strung up!

There is a company in Walnut Creek, CA with a additional Warehouse in Georgia called "Compatible Cable" They sell uber quality HDMI 1.4 cords for..............
............$1.00 per foot.

That's right. get a spec'd 50' HDMI 1.4 cord for $50.00.

And delivery time is as fast as anywhere I have ever encountered, plus I've never ordered any size they did not have in stock.

I'm truly sorry I have not shared this gem with all ya all before this. This outlet has been a veritable Godsend to me, being the cheap arse B_ _stard I am when it comes to wanting the best quality at the lowest price.

Tell 'em MississippiMan sent'cha. ( See how far that get's ya! )

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #281 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shag View Post

Simple. Wrong Screen. I've made up 212" diagonal examples and shot at them with a JVC RS-2 (700 Lumens) and came away with some very nice compliments..

It's all about "balance'.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #282 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Oh Lordy.

I should be whipped, purged, and strung up!

There is a company in Walnut Creek, CA with a additional Warehouse in Georgia called "Compatible Cable" They sell uber quality HDMI 1.4 cords for..............
............$1.00 per foot.

That's right. get a spec'd 50' HDMI 1.4 cord for $50.00.

And delivery time is as fast as anywhere I have ever encountered, plus I've never ordered any size they did not have in stock.

I'm truly sorry I have not shared this gem with all ya all before this. This outlet has been a veritable Godsend to me, being the cheap arse B_ _stard I am when it comes to wanting the best quality at the lowest price.

Tell 'em MississippiMan sent'cha. ( See how far that get's ya! )

While we are on the topic of HDMI cables, can you give us a quick primer on what all those different standards mean? I don't live and breath this stuff, so when I see HDMI 1.3, 1.3a, 1.3b, and 1.4, sweat forms on my upper lip. Epson seems to go out of their way to mention HDMI 1.3a in their literature when they describe the connectors on the machine...I assume that as long as you attach 1.3a or higher cables you are good to go. (?)
post #283 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrios View Post

Should I mess with zoom if im throwing at 12-14' on a 100" with the 8350?

What should zoom be set at to get the most out of the Pj?

???

You only use zoom if you need to, and that is primarily when your Throw is so close you must use Zoom to get the size you desire.

For most PJs, the best Zoom setting is 3/4 to 4/5 wide open and the PJ set ar it's closest thrown for that setting.

Unfortunately, for many, being able to look up just ahead of the seating area and notice a Pj hanging there ruins the "detached from reality" effect many adore. Used to was...the reason it was not cool was "light Leakage" out the rear of the PJ's casing. These days with the larger 1080p units (...all the good ones are sizable...) it's more a matter of Real Estate blight.

That is a primary reason why so many opt to place a PJ as far back as possible, and in doing so eliminate most chances to afford themselves of the PJ's best brightness factor.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #284 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:

???

You only use zoom if you need to, and that is primarily when your Throw is so close you must use Zoom to get the size you desire.

For most PJs, the best Zoom setting is 3/4 to 4/5 wide open and the PJ set ar it's closest thrown for that setting.

Unfortunately, for many, being able to look up just ahead of the seating area and notice a Pj hanging there ruins the "detached from reality" effect many adore. Used to was...the reason it was not cool was "light Leakage" out the rear of the PJ's casing. These days with the larger 1080p units (...all the good ones are sizable...) it's more a matter of Real Estate blight.

That is a primary reason why so many opt to place a PJ as far back as possible, and in doing so eliminate most chances to afford themselves of the PJ's best brightness factor.

As you can tell im a noob lol.
post #285 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2rider View Post

While we are on the topic of HDMI cables, can you give us a quick primer on what all those different standards mean? I don't live and breath this stuff, so when I see HDMI 1.3, 1.3a, 1.3b, and 1.4, sweat forms on my upper lip. Epson seems to go out of their way to mention HDMI 1.3a in their literature when they describe the connectors on the machine...I assume that as long as you attach 1.3a or higher cables you are good to go. (?)

It has everything to do with Bandwith transmission capabilities.

The lower the numbered version on a cable, the more restrictive in transmission the cable is. (...think a 18 gauge Extension on a 200 watt Space heater...)

For Standard deffinition and Basic HD (1080i), they are all good. For 1080p...1.3b is good to 15-20' (70'-80' amplified) 1.3a out to 35' However HDMI cables that have 22 gauge conductors are among the best...and 1.4's always have that specification. They also have the best sheilding, and are always about as thick as a hefty man's Pinky. As such, they can effectively transmit a LOT of information at a very high rate and with a very low incident of loss along a very long distance.

That is also why they are the del-facto standard for 3D content.

If they happen to cost a King's ransom, they might seem to be excessive. But at $1.00 per foot, it's foolish not to avail one's self of such. I'm just say'in.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #286 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 08:33 PM

Anyone own the 8100 and looking to upgrade to the 8350? I'm debating it, but not sure if it's worth the leap or even a big leap? Thanks! Also has anyone received theirs from Electronics Expo? Also any new coupon? DEALSOFAMERICA doesn't work, nor does BIGBEN.
post #287 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 08:46 PM

Getting my 8350 tomorrow as a replacement for my 5th defective Epson projector in a row. I have the worst luck. First 4 were 6100s and the latest is an 8100. Hopefully I will get a good one. I am well past frustrated with Epson quality issues. Each unit has had a different issue or set of issues. At least Epson has awesome customer support. I wasn't even trying to get this latest unit replaced. I just sent them an email letting them know how I felt and that I had decided to just deal with the hot spot, red tinted corner and poor convergence on my 8100, and they called me and told me that an 8350 was on it's way to my house. Gotta love Epson PR.

Louie

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
post #288 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 08:58 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmax542 View Post

Getting my 8350 tomorrow as a replacement for my 5th defective Epson projector in a row. I have the worst luck. First 4 were 6100s and the latest is an 8100. Hopefully I will get a good one. I am well past frustrated with Epson quality issues. Each unit has had a different issue or set of issues. At least Epson has awesome customer support. I wasn't even trying to get this latest unit replaced. I just sent them an email letting them know how I felt and that I had decided to just deal with the hot spot, red tinted corner and poor convergence on my 8100, and they called me and told me that an 8350 was on it's way to my house. Gotta love Epson PR.

Sorry for the bad experience, but that's good to hear about them sending you an 8350.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #289 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:

Good to know. That makes me feel good (well, the cust support part) about migrating from Panny to Epson.
post #290 of 8814 Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vauktu View Post

Man, thats big, could you please confirm the dimensions of the shipping box? could this be fitted in a traveling bag? i'm currently in the US and thinking of buying either this or the HC4000.

leaning towards the HC4000, cause its smaller and does not need filters. but if prices stays the same, epson could be my choice.
post #291 of 8814 Old 10-08-2010, 01:05 AM

Little update... I didn't have much time to do anything tonight. Spent the last 4 hours getting a projector mount onto the wall. Ran into a few problems... but it's up there now. Let's hope it doesn't fall.

The only thing I had time for was a few quick tests. I threw in Avatar and right away I noticed how smooth the picture was compared to my Optoma HD20. I didn't notice much of a remarkable difference in terms of picture quality but it's easy to say the Epson performed better. I was able to stand 2 or 3 feet away from the image and could not notice any pixelation. I could spot it but only if I tried looking.

I made some adjustments to the 8350 and followed Art's instructions on his review. Didn't notice much of a difference between his settings and the default settings, but something is telling me Art's settings made the picture look more realistic. I'll stick with his settings.

Quote:

Oops!

Where are all you Fact-checkers! The HD-20 sports 1700 Lumens. I've used it a few times and if one can mount it optimally (proper Height and shortest throw Distance) it can burn a hole through a painted wall!

It performs small miracles on a 86" diagonal screen if the Throw is held to 10% of it's shortest distance.

But it's lumens drop off really quick with any increase in distance.....a trait specific to DLPs. Even so, for it's time and place in the Sun, it offered some real "Bang for the Buck"

Thanks for bringing that up. You're right. I corrected my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asay82 View Post

Man, thats big, could you please confirm the dimensions of the shipping box? could this be fitted in a traveling bag? i'm currently in the US and thinking of buying either this or the HC4000.

leaning towards the HC4000, cause its smaller and does not need filters. but if prices stays the same, epson could be my choice.

The box has a length of 20 inches, width of 18 inches, and a height of 11 inches.

Also, if you're curious about the projector's dimensions, there is some information on Epson's 8350 product page under "Specifications": http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...sku=V11H373120
post #292 of 8814 Old 10-08-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

Anyone own the 8100 and looking to upgrade to the 8350? I'm debating it, but not sure if it's worth the leap or even a big leap? Thanks! Also has anyone received theirs from Electronics Expo? Also any new coupon? DEALSOFAMERICA doesn't work, nor does BIGBEN.

mine is on the ways. have tracking. coming on monday from them.
I think you should call them to match the price.
Call and contact John on extention 151. if you tell him I bought it for 1199$ shipped. he might match it. try and let me know. I got it for $1199 and on the reciept they emailed me, I saw DEALSOFAMERICA written so I shared it here. that made the price $1169.
post #293 of 8814 Old 10-08-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

I own the 8100 and I am getting the 8350 tomorrow. I will post my thoughts on the upgrade before the end of the weekend. Even though my 8100 has some problems, I should be able to tell the difference in black level and color accuracy. I will be using video essentials for my calibration. If I can get my wife to take some screenshots with her 5D MKII, I will post them. Her camera does a great job of capturing detail accurately.

One question. Does anyone know if the 8350 supports 12 bit color processing? On Epson's website the overview say, "C2Fine 12-bit technology" and "Smooth gradations 12-bit chip technology." However, when you click on specifications, it says, "Color Processing: Full 10-bit."
Check it out:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...sku=V11H373120

Louie

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
post #294 of 8814 Old 10-08-2010, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So I've had my 8350 since Wen (purchased from Visual Apex,, their the best).
Upgraded from the 8100 that I only had for a week but I can say I think the 8350 is a clear upgrade from the 8100 (in spite of the limited time I spent with the 8100)

As far as brightness/lumens,,,going from memory, I think this PJ is just as bright as my much loved Panny AX200 (and that thing was a flame thrower).

So much has alrady been said here about the 8350 I dont really think I have anything new to offer so I just figured I would post some random pictures of my "almost" completed room and some screen shots from the 8350.

Settings, no tweeking yet, just out of the box, in Vivid mode, I like Vivid better than any of the other modes so far so Im sure I will leave it there.
106" electric screen that comes down in front of my Vizio 55" LED (love my Vizio LED, it has a killer picture).

Walls recently painted flat black (have not painted the ceiling yet or the baseboards).

I decided not to use my projector mount and instead built a ceiling box to place the 8350 inside, makes it easier to do maintance on the Epson and to hide cords/cables inside the box (Im in a rental so I can put cable's inside the walls).

Ok,, thats all I can think of for now,,, enjoy the pictures.
Cheers
Davyo

post #295 of 8814 Old 10-08-2010, 05:32 AM

Davyo what model/brand screen are you using?
post #296 of 8814 Old 10-08-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

As far as brightness/lumens,,,going from memory, I think this PJ is just as bright as my much loved Panny AX200 (and that thing was a flame thrower).

That's good to hear. I just sold my AE900, and was close to picking up the AX200 when they announced the 8350. My projector is about 16' from my 106" screen, and I want to get something bright. My AE900 had dimmed quite a bit as the bulb got older, so now I am paranoid about my new projector being bright enough. The room is totally light controlled, and mostly flat black in color...so the 8350 should get the job done you think? I need to order something soon, I want it set up by next weekend.

Andy
post #297 of 8814 Old 10-08-2010, 08:40 AM

Ugh, amazon not in stock until Nov 15th!!!!

Edit: Nevermind, thats the 8500UB

In regard to the pictures posted on HD20 vs 8350... that's probably the size difference I'll be dealing with as well (HD70). I have one of those cheap ebay mounts and it works well, it looks like I'll need a beefier mount for the 8350.
post #298 of 8814 Old 10-08-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhahlen View Post

Ugh, amazon not in stock until Nov 15th!!!!

Edit: Nevermind, thats the 8500UB

In regard to the pictures posted on HD20 vs 8350... that's probably the size difference I'll be dealing with as well (HD70). I have one of those cheap ebay mounts and it works well, it looks like I'll need a beefier mount for the 8350.

Amazon are not stocking the 8350 yet. I'm sure they will eventually
post #299 of 8814 Old 10-08-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:

I
One question. Does anyone know if the 8350 supports 12 bit color processing? On Epson's website the overview say, "C2Fine 12-bit technology" and "Smooth gradations 12-bit chip technology." However, when you click on specifications, it says, "Color Processing: Full 10-bit."
Check it out:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...sku=V11H373120

I just fired mine up to check for you on the info tab. If there is no source turned on it doesn't list anything. When I turn on my PS3 it says 12-bit.
HTH
-Bob
post #300 of 8814 Old 10-08-2010, 10:08 AM

Here are a few shots I took last night.
This is after I applied the Cinema calibrated settings.
These are the settings from Art's review linked below.
Definite improvement in the color. More natural.
Especially the skin tone.
Thank you Art for another great review.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...alibration.php
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page