The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #631 of 8911 Old 10-18-2010, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a hard time deciding on screen size so I just went with an oddball size. My screen is the WilsonArt Laminate, and I left it at the 5 ft x 10 ft size which doesn't match up with either 16:9 or 2.35. It give me more flexibility in getting the largest screen size I can with each scope, but of course there will always be blank space either on the sides or top\\bottom. I thought this would bug me, but so far it hasn't. Many who have seen the image didnt even realize the bars until I pointed it out, or they were just being nice. Most probably like the clean setup (no void screen space), so this probably isn't all that helpful. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 8911 Old 10-18-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekvli View Post

I had a hard time deciding on screen size so I just went with an oddball size. My screen is the WilsonArt Laminate, and I left it at the 5 ft x 10 ft size which doesn't match up with either 16:9 or 2.35. It give me more flexibility in getting the largest screen size I can with each scope, but of course there will always be blank space either on the sides or top\\bottom. I thought this would bug me, but so far it hasn't. Many who have seen the image didnt even realize the bars until I pointed it out, or they were just being nice. Most probably like the clean setup (no void screen space), so this probably isn't all that helpful. =)

How much did the laminate run for that size?
post #633 of 8911 Old 10-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I just have deliveries sent to work on those items. Saves you the trouble of having to stay home on delivery day. Of course, that isn't feasible for everyone.

Yeup.. that's how I had my last one shipped, but workie said.. no non-work deliveries anymore.

Just got confirmation. Yeah!

And.. makes sense on the double taping, the dust cover. Anyone want mine? I don't see the need for a dust cover.

The Truth IS out there!
post #634 of 8911 Old 10-18-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reye View Post

Did anyone order the 8350 from VisualApex and received with double tape on the box? I inspected the box and seem like the first layer of the tape has been cut. So I am thinking if the unit I received is an open box item. What do you all think about the double tape? Any feedback would be appreciated.

How was the state of your box when it arrived? Mine looked like it had been brutalized, really beat to hell, but I talked to VA, sent pictures, and they said the projector is packed well enough that it wouldn't be affected by rough treatment. I'm really worried about it, especially the lamp, so I still haven't opened it.
post #635 of 8911 Old 10-18-2010, 04:16 PM

Was going to order a 8100, read this thread. Went to Projector People, ordered one. Yay! I have been running a Optoma 719 since 2006. Should be a dramatic difference. Can't wait.
post #636 of 8911 Old 10-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeancocteau View Post

How was the state of your box when it arrived? Mine looked like it had been brutalized, really beat to hell, but I talked to VA, sent pictures, and they said the projector is packed well enough that it wouldn't be affected by rough treatment. I'm really worried about it, especially the lamp, so I still haven't opened it.

Send it back and insist you get an exchange. You have no idea if something is misaligned or compromised because of rough handling. Granted stuff normally gets abused in ways you haven't seen, but if the box is really bad it's received exceptional mishandling. Don't get sweet talked into keeping it only to have a problem that you may regret down the road. Thesse projectors cost alot of $ and you shouldn't have to start the experience with worry.
post #637 of 8911 Old 10-18-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekscden View Post

Send it back and insist you get an exchange. You have no idea if something is misaligned or compromised because of rough handling. Granted stuff normally gets abused in ways you haven't seen, but if the box is really bad it's received exceptional mishandling. Don't get sweet talked into keeping it only to have a problem that you may regret down the road. Thesse projectors cost alot of $ and you shouldn't have to start the experience with worry.

It's good to make sure, but really...it's just a cardboard box. If that's the only thing that protected a system then a lot of things that come in cardboard boxes would arrive not working. Hell, I(and shipping companies from experience) can make the box look like it went through Hell but still have whatever inside not affected. (of course, I don't actually make look like that)

And if it arrived not working you can tell them it arrived not working. I'm sure VA would exchange it for you the same way. They don't seem like an evil retailer to me...
post #638 of 8911 Old 10-18-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:

The box is in fair shape. Yes, the projector is packed well. But if Fedex throw the box around and your seems to be beaten up bad. I would be worry myself. And you took pictures of the box. You shouldnt have a problem getting the lamp replaced if it were damage during shipping.
post #639 of 8911 Old 10-18-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy9 View Post

I don't think I've heard anything about the lag on gaming issue... so I'm going to take a look at this when I get my 8350 today.

As a "control", I checked my Mitsubishi HD1000U for lag using Rock Band 2's calibration feature. I ran the trial four times and got numbers of 56, 57, 51, and 58 ms, for an average of 55.5 ms. This setup goes through a receiver through a 6 foot HDMI run first, then about a 15-20 foot HDMI run to the projector. I actually think there's hardly any lag when I play Rock Band... or Forza Motorsport... or Lumines Supernova... or anything really. Interestingly, I have about a 140ms lag with regards to my 42" 120hz LG 42LD520 TV with a 6 foot HDMI run and it goes through nothing!

I would love to hear your RB2 results! Confirmation that lag is minimal is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on buying this machine.

I know some have said gaming seems great but lag is sometimes hard to notice until you are consistently losing one on one fire fights in fps games...

"When did t.v. watching become so complicated?"
post #640 of 8911 Old 10-18-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

How much did the laminate run for that size?

It was under $100. $25 or so for some wood and glue, all set. There is a thread dedicated to building this screen and testing the gain. Can try to look up if interested.. its in the DIY screen section...I am very happy with the screen.
post #641 of 8911 Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekvli View Post

It was under $100. $25 or so for some wood and glue, all set. There is a thread dedicated to building this screen and testing the gain. Can try to look up if interested.. its in the DIY screen section...I am very happy with the screen.

Do you think it would be possible to just velcro the laminate to the wall, or is it too heavy for that?
post #642 of 8911 Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 PM

ya, some people did velcro it to a wooden frame or wall. The trick is to try not to get any waves in the screen. Its not too heavy, and thought about using velcro, but wanted a more permanent solution. I don't recall the total weight of just the laminate, sorry.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=708240
Designer White D354-60 is what i used.

Edit - added screenshot thread that might be helpful for you as well.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=749273
post #643 of 8911 Old 10-18-2010, 07:58 PM

Just purchased mine, should be here by Friday from PP, I think I should have gone with the Mitsu 4000 as today it was 75 off but the lady on the phone really liked the epson. I will use it mostly for tv and games so I will post my thoughts after I have it set up. I am replacing an old optima 31 480p projector
post #644 of 8911 Old 10-18-2010, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramosma View Post

Dude, the projector is nine years old - HDMI wasn't even out then.

Nice try

Component or VGA was best.

I was not trying anything.It was a mistake. PLV-Z60/PLV-60. Sorry about the post.
post #645 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtank View Post

Well if you hit that spot where you really need to move your eye's left and right to focus on that side of the screen it can start to be a bit of an issue...I'm at 120" from about 12' back and it's pushing it! Only for online FPS type games though where a fraction of a second is often the difference of who walks away from that encounter.

I don't care though, it's too much awesome all around when the screen is huge. Single player games like Fallout God of War etc don't suffer at all.

Yep, that's the problem. If you get to a point where you have to move your eyes around, it slows your reaction time. Since I only play fps's online, it puts me at a disadvantage.

Louie

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
post #646 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmax542 View Post

Yep, that's the problem. If you get to a point where you have to move your eyes around, it slows your reaction time.

Not to mention headaches, nausea, blurry vision. 9ft from a 50" does me in after about 1 to 1.5 hours, less if the level involves running through "tunnels" or other enclosed spaces.
post #647 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latenter View Post

Forgive my ignorance, but how does this projector do with 24p content? I think I've seen that it doubles it to 48 hz, but I was under the impression that LCDs run at a constant refresh rate (ie, 60hz, 120hz) but maybe I'm just stuck in flat panel world.

Is there any frame judder, or 3:2 pulldown? Or is it smooth on all content? And am I right that there is no frame creation on this projector? Trying to figure out between this and the 8700.

Also, I doubt it since I haven't seen it anywhere, but can the projector do inverse telecine to fix 60hz refresh from a HTPC? If not I'll have to figure out how to fix it on the PC side.

I'm also curious about the 24fps / 48hz. Did you find out any more information about the way the Epson handles it?
post #648 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 05:02 AM

I just ran the lag test on my new projector... the test returned a lag average of 58.5ms, about 3ms higher than the Mitsubishi... which is negligible. I don't think there's going to be a lag issue with this projector. Personally, I'm liking the new projector... but haven't seen any 1080p awesomeness I'm sure. Pretty sure Rock Band 2 is only 720p... so I'll have to see what a Blu-ray returns...
post #649 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 05:31 AM

Liked: 11
Guys because of my 12 foot ceiling I had to build a permanent drop pedestal from the ceiling to screw my mount to. It is exactly 10'6" back from screen wall. When I punch in 10'6" to projectorcentrals calculator it says native size will be 79" diag. I have a 106" screen. Is there anyway from 10'6" I can get a full 106" diag with no focusing problems?
post #650 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekscden View Post

Send it back and insist you get an exchange. You have no idea if something is misaligned or compromised because of rough handling....

That's exactly what I'm worried about... but the guy assured me that this wasn't possible with projectors, saying that projectors and lamps are extremely sturdy and not subject to damage when packed in the box, that lamps especially, if they fail, they fail immediately. I'm most worried about the longterm effects, of it coming back to bite me down the road.

Anyone have an opinion on projectors' susceptibility to this sort of mishandling?

Thanks.
post #651 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 AM

I just picked up my new 8350 at hhgregg thay are 20% off.
I have the unit set up and starting to fine tune.
So, one quick question-- auto iris, on-off and why?
post #652 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey! View Post

I'm also curious about the 24fps / 48hz. Did you find out any more information about the way the Epson handles it?

No, haven't seen anything more.

Anyone know about how this is handled? Anyone with a discerning eye have some experience with the projector and 24p sources?
post #653 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcore1 View Post

Looks like they are not honoring the 20% online...or at least it was not reflected in the shopping cart. I may have to give them a call to see!
post #654 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-pred View Post

Guys because of my 12 foot ceiling I had to build a permanent drop pedestal from the ceiling to screw my mount to. It is exactly 10'6" back from screen wall. When I punch in 10'6" to projectorcentrals calculator it says native size will be 79" diag. I have a 106" screen. Is there anyway from 10'6" I can get a full 106" diag with no focusing problems?

Play with the calculator some more. I'm still not absolutely certain how it works but you will find that for a 106" diagonal you can go down to 10' 4". You may not be happy with the 10' 6" though because that distance is not in the green zone. Somebody please help out that understands all this better.

Leon
post #655 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did they have them in stock, or did they have to order it?

-I see you're in VA, what part?
post #656 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Auto iris is a way of improving the shadow performance in dark scenes. It is mechanical, so some are bothered by the noise, especially in fast response mode. Try it both ways. You will probably find the difference is subtle. Reliabiliy is likely higher with it off. A good compromise is to use it in normal (slow response) mode.
post #657 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 09:29 AM

We got the 8350 in a week and a half ago, picture was amazing. The lens shift wasn't as sensitive as I was hoping but worked fine.

Big issue was that after 17 hours the Auto-Iris failed.

If you power cycled the projector it would reset and allow about 20 minutes of viewing then die to an error of "Auto-Iris Failure Please Call Epson Support."

Visual Apex was really good in processing the RMA, only issue is that they ship via ground instead of the normal next business day shipping that Epson does directly. They also would not do an advanced exchange so we had to track down all of the foam and plastic from the box to ship first. The replacement projector should be here tomorrow.

The viewing we did get in showed an amazing image on a 92in screen with a 12.1ft throw. The blacks were really amazing, especially in a light controlled room.

I saw that Epson dropped the MSRP by 100$? Has anyone had any success with VisualApex in getting a refund for that amount?
post #658 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 10:15 AM

Bought a PS3 yesterday and am very impressed with the look of standard DVDs. They look much better than when played on my old DVD player. I will be watching a BD later today.

ADVICE:

For those of you still waiting for your new projector, center the lens with the horizontal/vertical adjustment wheels before you remove the yellow shipping collar that is around the perimeter of the lens. I had a tough time removing the collar so I just forced the lens up/down and left/right. Fortunately, I didn't hurt the mechanism.
post #659 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:

That's exactly what I'm worried about... but the guy assured me that this wasn't possible with projectors, saying that projectors and lamps are extremely sturdy and not subject to damage when packed in the box, that lamps especially, if they fail, they fail immediately. I'm most worried about the longterm effects, of it coming back to bite me down the road.

Anyone have an opinion on projectors' susceptibility to this sort of mishandling?

Thanks.

If there is something wrong with it then you have 2 years of warranty. I'm sure you haven't even opened the box yet so you don't even know how the innards were affected? If something did get damaged I'd assume the problem would show up sooner than problems that show up with normal use. Although this is a projector, I don't believe most electronics(or this) are so fragile that they can't even be shipped.

Boxes can sometimes even look like they went through hell, but have gone through less than the boxes that look perfect. If some part became misaligned so easily, then I believe that Epson wouldn't have even shipped the product without out some special handling service to anyone(retailer or not).
post #660 of 8911 Old 10-19-2010, 10:47 AM

Liked: 20
I can't imagine a situation where the projector sustained damage that will only be noticeable after months of use. IMO if it works fine now, it's not going to break from some hidden damage down the road...

At which point you still have a warranty, and you will have the same wait time anyhow...

I don't design projectors however...

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page