Old 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM
DGF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3k View Post

My question: I will be running this projector with a single HDMI input. The HDMI will be switched to different video inputs by a Denon 3312ci AVR. Can I have the 8350 get powered on when the HDMI gets a signal?

If I mount the 8350 behind me, it will be difficult to use a remote.

My newb understanding is HDMI-CEC would allow this type of power-on function.

My 8350 is ceiling mounted behind me - I just point the remote at the screen and the pj responds like a champ (about a 20 foot 'out and back' trip and maybe 5 feet above my seated position).

I can't answer definitively on the HDMI-CEC question, but I have seen absolutely no mention of the projector having this capability.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I've joined the club! Thanks for all the info. You guys pushed me over the edge.

My question: I will be running this projector with a single HDMI input. The HDMI will be switched to different video inputs by a Denon 3312ci AVR. Can I have the 8350 get powered on when the HDMI gets a signal?

Thanks,
Ken

I don't believe the 8350 can do what you are thinking.

Mine is about 5-feet behind me up at the ceiling. I never point the remote at the pj...only to the front of the room. The signal bounces great off the screen 12-feet in front of me and back to the pj 5-feet behind me. I don't believe I have ever encountered a time when the signal did not make it to the pj.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I own the Epson 8350 and it is a great projector for the price (blacks could be better) but overall very colorful and sharp picture. Animated movies pop with this.

Most projectors will respond to the remote even when when placed behind you. Just point the signal at the wall/screen in front of you so the signal bounces back to the projector. If you notice the Epson 8350 has TWO infrared receivers built in. They're the dark red plastic you see on the front of the projector and on the rear of the projector. I use a universal remote to turn everything on and off at the same time and the projector always responds (as long as the batter of the remote is 50% or higher).
Old 02-08-2012, 02:27 PM
c3k

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks. I'm probably overthinking this. When I get it set up, I'll find out out how the remote works (or not) from my listening position.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:15 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post

Just got mine in the mail today.

First off, good lord!!! The picture on this thing is amazing. I had a friend over when I hooked it up. We threw the picture a green wall to test it out and we were like, dang that looks good. I later turned on the TV and we were like holy crap at the same time, because it literally looked better than my "46 LCD A550. Couldn't believe it.

I couldn't get it to work through the receiver for some reason (Denon AVR-590), hooked it straight to the computer, worked, then through the receiver again and for some reason it worked after that just fine. Kind of weird, hopefully I'll figure that out or it won't do it again .

That was using a 35ft HDMI cord. Which is going to be too short. I have a 40ft on the way and that is certified to work, so we'll see.

That is great. Several questions:

1) You only threw the picture on the wall? Not on a screen?

2) What kind of signal did you feed the projector? Where the images coming from the hard drive of the computer, a blu ray player within the computer, or a separate, stand alone blu ray player, or a dvd player?

3) What was the size of the image that you projected on the wall or screen?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Aldo.Raine View Post

How do you turn super white on ? What does it do ?

Suppossedly it increases the contrast. It makes the colors more colorful?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_ View Post

Suppossedly it increases the contrast. It makes the colors more colorful?

From the manual:

If bright parts of the image are washed out or overexposed (when the input signal contains values over 100 IRE), turn this setting on to compensate.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

I've joined the club! Thanks for all the info. You guys pushed me over the edge.

Thanks,
Ken

as far as the remote... it works very well without any aiming...
Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
Ken

I don't know if it supports HDMI-CEC but the remote works no matter where you point it in the room. In our case the 8350 is in the back of the room in a recessed shelf and you can point the remote right at the screen and navigate just fine. This works with the included remote and our Harmony One.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM

Hi folks. A bit of a noob here. This is only my second projector. I've had it for a few months, and been very happy with it. Last night I had some time alone in the house, and decided to do some fine tuning with that Disney WoW disc.

While looking at some of the black and white test patterns, I noticed a bit of color spread on the 1-pixel lines (maybe 3/4 of a pixel width on either side of a vertical line). I assume this is some kind of diffraction due to limitations of the optics.

Is there anything I can do to reduce this? I'm using a small amount of lens shift, so I'm thinking this might be the problem. Anybody else seen this, and have any ideas for minimizing it? Under normal viewing conditions, I hardly notice it at all, so I can live with it, but it's just going to bug me now that I know it's happening...
Old 02-09-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

My 8350 is ceiling mounted behind me - I just point the remote at the screen and the pj responds like a champ (about a 20 foot 'out and back' trip and maybe 5 feet above my seated position).

I can't answer definitively on the HDMI-CEC question, but I have seen absolutely no mention of the projector having this capability.

Dave

I second this. My 8350 is mounted, behind me, close to the ceiling on the back wall. However, it seems to pick up the remote perfectly when I point the remote towards the screen. The IR seems to bounce off the screen to the projector (~30ft total distance).
Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 PM

Hi Guys
I've had my 8350 for around 6 months. It has 650h on it so far. I use to use it as my TV/PS3 but I now use it only to watch blu-ray. I have noticed a greening of the right side and a green blotch it is only visible in very dark screens (I use cinema mode and when I change to dynamic etc it is very noticeable). I have read of the LCD panels degrading. Is this something I should talk to epson service about.
Thanks
David
Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdesch4 View Post

Hi folks. A bit of a noob here. This is only my second projector. I've had it for a few months, and been very happy with it. Last night I had some time alone in the house, and decided to do some fine tuning with that Disney WoW disc.

While looking at some of the black and white test patterns, I noticed a bit of color spread on the 1-pixel lines (maybe 3/4 of a pixel width on either side of a vertical line). I assume this is some kind of diffraction due to limitations of the optics.

Is there anything I can do to reduce this? I'm using a small amount of lens shift, so I'm thinking this might be the problem. Anybody else seen this, and have any ideas for minimizing it? Under normal viewing conditions, I hardly notice it at all, so I can live with it, but it's just going to bug me now that I know it's happening...

Your convergence is off slightly which is completely normal for a 3LCD projector. If it was 2-3 pixels off then you could probably notice a bit of softening to the image. Also, lens shift can create a bit of a blurred edge to one side of a line of pixels.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo85281 View Post

Your convergence is off slightly which is completely normal for a 3LCD projector. If it was 2-3 pixels off then you could probably notice a bit of softening to the image. Also, lens shift can create a bit of a blurred edge to one side of a line of pixels.

Ok, so since it seems to only be 1 pixel or so, I'll live with it. Either way, I'm still thrilled with this machine, and somewhat gratified that my time with WoW proved that my quick-and-dirty calibration when I first got the thing was pretty good. I only made one or two tick adjustments based on the color bars test with the blue filter.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I received the 8350 from Amazon on Wednesday, one day after I ordered it. I was very pleased with the fast service.

I've watched bits and pieces of several movies, including JURASSIC PARK(BD), CONAN THE DESTROYER(BD)(lovely cinematography by Jack Cardiff), SINGING IN THE RAIN(DVD) and watched the 1934 black and white BLACK CAT(DVD) in its entirety. I'm stunned by the image quality on this projector. I've read several posts from other owners of this pj that say the black levels aren't a strong point; perhaps it's because I've been using the Sanyo PLV-Z700 for three years(really weak blacks), but I find the black levels on the Epson to be amazing. The color and contrast are very punchy and lifelike. The picture is sharp as a tack. I'm using the cinema mode, with tweaking and calibration via the Digital Video Essentials(BD).

It must be because I'm coming from a very flat and dull projector, because the Epson is so good(to me) that it's what I imagined much more expensive pj's to look like. Needless to say, I'm very satisfied.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sutliff View Post

I received the 8350 from Amazon on Wednesday, one day after I ordered it. I was very pleased with the fast service.

I've watched bits and pieces of several movies, including JURASSIC PARK(BD), CONAN THE DESTROYER(BD)(lovely cinematography by Jack Cardiff), SINGING IN THE RAIN(DVD) and watched the 1934 black and white BLACK CAT(DVD) in its entirety. I'm stunned by the image quality on this projector. I've read several posts from other owners of this pj that say the black levels aren't a strong point; perhaps it's because I've been using the Sanyo PLV-Z700 for three years(really weak blacks), but I find the black levels on the Epson to be amazing. The color and contrast are very punchy and lifelike. The picture is sharp as a tack. I'm using the cinema mode, with tweaking and calibration via the Digital Video Essentials(BD).

It must be because I'm coming from a very flat and dull projector, because the Epson is so good(to me) that it's what I imagined much more expensive pj's to look like. Needless to say, I'm very satisfied.

That was my impression too. I couldn't believe it when I first fired this thing up. I'm at close to 500 hours now and it looks every bit as bright as it did on day one to my eyes.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

That was my impression too. I couldn't believe it when I first fired this thing up. I'm at close to 500 hours now and it looks every bit as bright as it did on day one to my eyes.

It's good to know that the picture quality doesn't detoriate with use! I had the Mitsubishi HD1000 and the Sanyo, and while neither was "high end", I was fairly happy with both of them(the Sanyo never satisfied me though, because the contrast was lacking). But the Epson blows them both out of the water.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:

It's good to know that the picture quality doesn't detoriate with use! I had the Mitsubishi HD1000 and the Sanyo, and while neither was "high end", I was fairly happy with both of them(the Sanyo never satisfied me though, because the contrast was lacking). But the Epson blows them both out of the water.

Ha, yeah the only problem is I put that 500 hours on in a little over 3 months!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:48 PM

Liked: 13
I also want to say the black levels look great to me and I can't imagine how much better more expensive projectors would be. This was my first projector so I didn't want to spend too much, but when it comes time to replace it, I'm definitely going to step up to whatever the future equivalent of the epson 5010 is

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
Old 02-11-2012, 07:22 AM

So, I just bought a unit from Amazon Warehouse Deals under "like-new" condition. As far as I can tell by googling, Epson will still give a full 2-year warranty upon registration. Has anyone done this before and knows for sure that this is the case? It's returnable for 30 days anyway if it turns out the warranty wouldn't be valid (I'll call in with the serial # to register once it arrives), but I wouldn't mind the peace of mind of knowing in advance .
Old 02-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

So, I just bought a unit from Amazon Warehouse Deals under "like-new" condition. As far as I can tell by googling, Epson will still give a full 2-year warranty upon registration. Has anyone done this before and knows for sure that this is the case? It's returnable for 30 days anyway if it turns out the warranty wouldn't be valid (I'll call in with the serial # to register once it arrives), but I wouldn't mind the peace of mind of knowing in advance .

as long as you bought from amazon,and the projector was never registered with epson you should be fine ,or u could just call epson to confirm
Old 02-11-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

as long as you bought from amazon,and the projector was never registered with epson you should be fine ,or u could just call epson to confirm

Yeah, that's what I plan on doing .
Old 02-11-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Ha, yeah the only problem is I put that 500 hours on in a little over 3 months!

I hear ya! I usually only use my pj on weekends, my Sanyo has only 1200 hours on it after three years, so I'm hoping to do the same with this one. But it's so good that I'm gonna be tempted to use it for a regular tv set.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

I also want to say the black levels look great to me and I can't imagine how much better more expensive projectors would be. This was my first projector so I didn't want to spend too much, but when it comes time to replace it, I'm definitely going to step up to whatever the future equivalent of the epson 5010 is

I watched THE DARK KNIGHT last night and could not believe the detail and pop of the Epson, even in the very dark scenes(which looked terrible on the Sanyo in comparision). I'm a very happy camper right now!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I watched THE DARK KNIGHT last night and could not believe the detail and pop of the Epson, even in the very dark scenes(which looked terrible on the Sanyo in comparision). I'm a very happy camper right now!

did u watch Avatar yet?
prepare to be blown away by the picture quality
a truly awesome projector for the $$
Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

did u watch Avatar yet?
prepare to be blown away by the picture quality
a truly awesome projector for the $$

I plan on watching AVATAR very soon.

Last night I watched TAXI DRIVER on BD; it looked stunning, at least as good as it did when I saw it at the Film Forum in NYC a year or so ago. I know I keep repeating myself, but I'm beyond thrilled with this pj!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:

I plan on watching AVATAR very soon.

Last night I watched TAXI DRIVER on BD; it looked stunning, at least as good as it did when I saw it at the Film Forum in NYC a year or so ago. I know I keep repeating myself, but I'm beyond thrilled with this pj!

Taxi Driver Blu Ray has gotten great reviews. I am dying to try the Epson 8350 plus Taxi Driver Blu Ray combination. I have several questions:

1) What is the size of the screen you used when you saw Taxi Driver?

2) How far from the screen are you sitting?

3) How far from the screen is the projector located?

Thanks for any info.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Taxi Driver Blu Ray has gotten great reviews. I am dying to try the Epson 8350 plus Taxi Driver Blu Ray combination. I have several questions:

1) What is the size of the screen you used when you saw Taxi Driver?

2) How far from the screen are you sitting?

3) How far from the screen is the projector located?

Thanks for any info.

I'm using a cheapie Epson 92" pulldown screen. I'm sitting about 7' from it, and the projector is on a shelf behind me(approx. 13-14' from the screen).
Old 02-12-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:

I'm using a cheapie Epson 92" pulldown screen. I'm sitting about 7' from it, and the projector is on a shelf behind me(approx. 13-14' from the screen).

Which of the following settings are you using on the projector when you have the darkest conditions at night without lights?

1) Dynamic

2) Living room

3) Natural

4) Cinema

5) x.v. Color

Thank you for any advice.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Which of the following settings are you using on the projector when you have the darkest conditions at night without lights?

1) Dynamic

2) Living room

3) Natural

4) Cinema

5) x.v. Color

Thank you for any advice.

3) Cinema with Lamp in Eco and iris in High speed

heres a video of my 8350 130" screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhjUm..._order&list=UL

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350