post #6871 of 8915 Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannergreer View Post

What kind of mounts are you guys using on your 8350's. I just bought one and am searching for the best mount!

Thanks,

Tanner

I'm using the universal mount from visual apex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6872 of 8915 Old 03-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Had anyone ever calibrated their projector using the WOW disc you get from visual apex? Watching Avatar on my new 8350 it doesn't seem like I need to calibrate it. The picture looks beautiful and has that pop look. It's also only on natural and not dynamic. What you guys suggest, calibrate or leave it alone?
post #6873 of 8915 Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

Had anyone ever calibrated their projector using the WOW disc you get from visual apex? Watching Avatar on my new 8350 it doesn't seem like I need to calibrate it. The picture looks beautiful and has that pop look. It's also only on natural and not dynamic. What you guys suggest, calibrate or leave it alone?

If it looks good to you that is all that matters, right? So if you are happy then why bother. However, if you are the type where you won't be happy until you get the last little bit of goodness out of the PJ then you won't be happy UNTIL you do some calibration. So you are the best one to determine your course of action. I say if you are happy with the image then leave it alone.

Just my .02 worth.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #6874 of 8915 Old 03-04-2012, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey domingos, yes you do need to register the projector with epson.. there's no card or anything.. you have to use the cd that came with the projector.. it takes you to a registration form/web page.. can't remember which. write down your serial number first, I remember I needed that

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #6875 of 8915 Old 03-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

Hey domingos, yes you do need to register the projector with epson.. there's no card or anything.. you have to use the cd that came with the projector.. it takes you to a registration form/web page.. can't remember which. write down your serial number first, I remember I needed that

What CD? I don't remember a cd being in the box.
post #6876 of 8915 Old 03-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

so if i don't register it my warranty is void?
post #6877 of 8915 Old 03-04-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

so if i don't register it my warranty is void?

nah- i didn't register mine and they looked it up in their system and just took me at my word that it was a couple months old. just call them at their tech support number listed on their site.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #6878 of 8915 Old 03-05-2012, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's this cd guys

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #6879 of 8915 Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Ah, the million dollar question. You can do a thread search on "ceiling mount" and be directed to the posts discussing the issue.

I have the Chief mount. Very well made, sturdy, adjustable, and well designed with an adapter plate made for the 8350.

Others here have used the "universal mounts" available from several sources with limited success so YMMV with those. I don't know of anyone here that has had any issues with either the Peerless or Chief mounts for the Epson, not so much with the universals.

I went through Projector People (forum sponsor) and they set me up with exactly what I needed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks so much for the info. Will take it to heart.

Tanner
post #6880 of 8915 Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannergreer View Post

What kind of mounts are you guys using on your 8350's. I just bought one and am searching for the best mount!

Thanks,

Tanner

A lot of people recommend the Chief mount but I just bought the NPL mount from MountDirect (http://www.mountdirect.com/) and I can HIGHLY recommend it. It uses standard 1.5" NPT pipe just like the Chief mount so the drop distance is customizable, and the mount itself has easy-to-adjust screws. Screws fit perfectly on the 8350. The setup feels very solid, I'm pretty sure I could have hung by the pipe. Very professional looking installation, I was able to run the cables through the ceiling and there are no visible screws or bolts after it's all done. Also, with shipping it is about half the cost of the Chief mount.

Anthony
post #6881 of 8915 Old 03-05-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just ordered the 8350 from PP, whose sales person tried very hard for 20 minutes to talk me out of it, pushing the Pan 100U and the LG 181 instead of it, especially if I was concerned with picture quality. I suspect some agenda here but listened respectfully.

And suggesting that my right-side-up, mid-room shelf mount close to the ceiling near the top of my high mounted screen was inappropriate for a front pj which should be upside down from a ceiling mount. It's worked just fine with my Sanyo.

But I appreciate their return policy so went ahead with my 8350 purchase, especially due to the great vertical lens shift, great reviews and this thread.

It's my 3rd pj, having a Sony lcd (around $5000) some 10 years ago and the Sanyo Z4 from 5 years ago ($1700 and currently in operation).

Onward and upward, cheaper and cheaper through the years, and looking forward to a better picture.

Thanks for this thread which has been full of knowledge and support.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #6882 of 8915 Old 03-05-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

I

It's my 3rd pj, having a Sony lcd (around $5000) some 10 years ago and the Sanyo Z4 from 5 years ago ($1700 and currently in operation).

Shelly

In the last 6 months I replaced a Z4-era Panasonic (LC76) with an 8350. Huge improvement in picture quality. I got many years of enjoyment from the prior projector, and expect to do the same again.

It appears Panasonic is trying very hard to sell the 100 right now for dirt cheap prices.
post #6883 of 8915 Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

well - great...

I got the refurb projector in from epson tonight. It has a dustblob front and center on the screen and it's not on the outside lens. I called my wife down and asked her if I was being picky - expecting her to say yes. She said no - that bothers me more than the off color on the sides -- send it back.

sigh....

Keithrwhiteside, you went through five of them eh? My first one new from bestbuy was perfect. I'm half tempted to go buy another one from best buy and return this one as defective under the new receipt. I'm not sure if the ethics are 100% on that, but darn - I bought a new projector I would expect it to last more than a couple months before playing the refurb game with epson... You can't tell me they wouldn't see that dust blob in their refurb center. On just the black no source background it shows up.

Third one has a strange issue too though it seems the bigger I make the picture the less obvious it is. The diagonal left bottom corner and the top right corner are alternately out of focus. What's that called? If put the bottom left in sharp focus using the focus right the top right looks blurry. If I put the top right in sharp focus the bottom left looks blurry. I can meet in the middle and then top right and bottom left both look less sharp than they should. This is the first of the three to have this problem. I guess I'll call again. Epson sending all these things out overnight is losing a lot of money. I never asked for overnight service --- it's nice to have fast service, but I'd prefer to get a single returned projector that has no issues - even if it took a few days... Am I being too picky for a $1250 projector?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #6884 of 8915 Old 03-06-2012, 05:11 AM

I dont believe your being too pickey. I just believe you have set yourself up for a game where you are never going to find the "perfect" projector. I do believe there is no such thing as a perfect 8350 as far as i am concerned. Although this could be true for all lcd projectors. I had an hc1500 dlp and never had any complaints. To this day it still works beautifully. The only reason i bought the 8350 was due to a new house and needed lens shift for superbowl. I just "settled" and got the last "new" one from bestbuy and said i wont try to find a problem because i know i will if i look hard enough. Most people just throw it up on screen and say looks good. Most people on here are here because they want the best for there money and you look at other problems and see you have them too and then its a never ending viscious cycle. So idk what to say. You could try to get a "perfect" projector but in all reality its a trade off between sharpness, convergence, color uniformity. It is my belief as this price point and just the technology of lcd you are never going to get one that has all three of the stated things "perfect". If so then my advise would be to get yourself a dlp. Myself the "rainbows" didnt affect me it was strictly a placement problem, or else my mits would be on my shelf now instead of my sons closet lol. And as far as epson, yes they are great in sending projectors overnight but again from my experience now you have sent back 2? I sent back 2 that were "new" and i found problems. Id bet they throw the picture up on screen when they "test" them and it works and they say "ok with epson" and you are getting these projectors. Point is there is so much variance from projector to projector you just have to realize i guess that you will never get a perfect one. I know it seems rediculous that each varies so much from one to another but after 5 i know they do.
post #6885 of 8915 Old 03-06-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

It appears Panasonic is trying very hard to sell the 100 right now for dirt cheap prices.

This is really not the case, just an error by the marketing dept. However I do agree that Panasonic has decided to go toe to toe (price-wise) with the Epson 8350 which has been shipping since September 2010.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6886 of 8915 Old 03-06-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat24 View Post

We were watching Moneyball last night, and we started noticing something really weird.

- The entire screen would lose a couple of 'notches' of brightness, and then it would be back to normal brightness in a second.
- this repeats again and again every 5 secs or so.

I checked the auto-iris, and it was off. I toggled it thru other settings, and it didnt seem to make any difference.

My lamp has 529 hours on it. Is it time to call Epson ?

Appreciate any help - this thing is driving me a bit crazy!!!

I remember reading somewhere on this thread of an identical issue... I believe what they did was run it on normal/dynamic for a few hours and that took care of the issue on ECO. Search the thread, it's in here somewhere.
post #6887 of 8915 Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

Hey, if you are happy then call it a day. I will say that I too was happy with my own personal settings, but I went ahead and purchased the WOW disc out of curiosity and it did a great job fine tuning my settings producing a better picture.

Only way for you to know for sure is to run the disc and save the settings into one of the memory slots of the projector. That way you can compare and contrast old settings to the new ones.
post #6888 of 8915 Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM

I am a member of the 8350 Club now. Picked one up from Best Buy last night. I was able to plug and play it last night for a bit but needed to put it away until my remodel on the house is done. I shot it onto a white sheet just to see what was what. I can unequivocally say that this thing is impressive for sure. It's my first PJ and I'm so excited to get it up and running.

I will be shooting the image onto a doable board from home depot for the time being. I have plans to get a Focupix 100" tensioned screen in the fall so the doable board will have to do for now. Hopefully I can get things wrapped up enough to set the PJ up this weekend. I will have to read through this thread yet again to make sure I tweak the PJ to the best it can be. I'm sure I'll have questions along the way. Thanks to all of you who contribute to this fantastic thread.
post #6889 of 8915 Old 03-06-2012, 08:05 PM

Newbie here giving strong consideration to 8350..and need some advice.
I was ready to pull the trigger on Mits HC4000 but after reading through many of the forums it seems like it lacks the placement flexibility that the Epson has (I think??)

Here are my measurements

Floor to Ceiling height- 90"
Screen diag- 106"
Projector Distance to Screen- 13' 5"

My goal is to mount the projector as reasonably close to the ceiling as possible which translates from ceiling to bottom of projector at 12". The projector needs to go over the sofa so I must keep it as high as possible.

In terms of the screen I would like to mount it 12 inches from the ceiling.

Will this work? Will I have to play with keystone? and lose picture quality.

Thought? Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks.
post #6890 of 8915 Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

no worry on keystone. The Epson has image shift that will cover you. You can even put the projector off to one side if that improves your layout. Mine lines up with about 1/3 of the screen to the right a & 2/3 to the left of the projector.
post #6891 of 8915 Old 03-07-2012, 05:59 AM

I took the plunge and ordered my 1st PJ Monday, the 8350 of course, and got it yesterday. All I can say is WOW! Huge step up from my 47" TV and the picture is amazing right out of the box! Took some time to get it set up best I could (see awesome set up below) just to see what it looked like and wanted to show some screenshots! The picture got 10 times better when it got dark in the room. Screenshots are from an iPhone 4 from the left side of the screen, screen is 120". Room is all beige and white.

Attachment 239646

Attachment 239647

Attachment 239648

Attachment 239649

I posted the text below in the General HT thread but since my PJ is an 8350, I figured I get better reeponses here.

I've done a little reading on some DIY ceiling mounts on the forum and they all look like they work quite well given the dimensions and needs of each perosn, however I have a different issue.

My ceilings are 10'6" and I need the PJ to come down about 2.5' to get it in proper alignment with the screen. My end goal is to have the PJ mounted on the end of a linear actuator (http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_...products_id=64) and when it's fully retracted, the PJ will up just below the ceiling. I originaly wanted to make it go into the attic and out of sight but it gets pretty hot up there, so my alternative is to have it just below the ceiling when retracted.

My main issue is that I need to find a solution for mounting the PJ to the end of the actuator. Firgelli Automations has a mounting bracket (http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_...products_id=45) but this will not connect to the Chief RPA-168 PJ mount.

Anyone have any ideas on how to attach the end of the actuator to the Chief mount? I was thinking some sort of coupler that would go from the end of the actuator to the 1.5" NPT threaded portion of the Chief mount so it won't spin or yaw but not sure.

Thanks!
LL
LL
LL
LL

Projector - EPSON 8350
Screen - DIY BOC 120" Fixed Screen
AVR - Denon 1612
Speakers - PolkAudio Monitor 60's
Sub - Coming soon!
post #6892 of 8915 Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

My 8350 is due to arrive this Saturday.

I have been reading about various "ceiling mounts" in both this and the other Epson pj threads and wanted to share my solution. A spiral staircase that leads to the upstairs goes right next to the shelf for easy adjustments.

If you have ceiling beams, it is a great way to keep the pj in the middle of the room and right side up. Here's my current pj but the Epson will soon take it's place.

Shelly
LL
LL
LL

Had 6 dishes, now none.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #6893 of 8915 Old 03-07-2012, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetater11 View Post

I've done a little reading on some DIY ceiling mounts on the forum and they all look like they work quite well given the dimensions and needs of each perosn, however I have a different issue.

My ceilings are 10'6" and I need the PJ to come down about 2.5' to get it in proper alignment with the screen. My end goal is to have the PJ mounted on the end of a linear actuator (http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_...products_id=64) and when it's fully retracted, the PJ will up just below the ceiling. I originaly wanted to make it go into the attic and out of sight but it gets pretty hot up there, so my alternative is to have it just below the ceiling when retracted.

My main issue is that I need to find a solution for mounting the PJ to the end of the actuator. Firgelli Automations has a mounting bracket (http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_...products_id=45) but this will not connect to the Chief RPA-168 PJ mount.

Anyone have any ideas on how to attach the end of the actuator to the Chief mount? I was thinking some sort of coupler that would go from the end of the actuator to the 1.5" NPT threaded portion of the Chief mount so it won't spin or yaw but not sure.

Thanks!

I would just go ahead and mount above the top of the screen and use lens shift to get the image as low as you need.
post #6894 of 8915 Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 AM

Okay, I've come up with a design for my PJ mount...The end goal is now to have the PJ completely out of sight when not in use.

First I'll build an open sided box for the PJ to sit in with drywall on the bottom portin matching the ceiling. The box wil lthen be connected to a 30" stroke linear actuator.

I'll then build a containment box in the attic for the entire assmebly to go up in to when fully retracted, which will be insulated.

Attachment 239786
Attachment 239787
Attachment 239788

With the actuator fully extended, I'll have the PJ come down about 2 feet.
LL
LL
LL
LL

Projector - EPSON 8350
AVR - Denon 1612
Sub - Coming soon!
post #6895 of 8915 Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 AM

thats a cool idea and all but it seems like kind of a lot of work when you could use lens shift to get the picture lower without having it mounted so low in the room.

Is the main goal to hide it when not in use? I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, just curious.

any thoughts on border or something around the dry wall whole and piece on the mount to dress it up a bit? It sounds like you're putting a lot of work into this and I don't know how precisely you could get the dry wall to plug the whole when its away, you'll see some sort of seem. The exposed edge of the dry wall is not really made to stand up to wear, so it may degrade over time unless something is added to it.
post #6896 of 8915 Old 03-08-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnizzel View Post

thats a cool idea and all but it seems like kind of a lot of work when you could use lens shift to get the picture lower without having it mounted so low in the room.

Is the main goal to hide it when not in use? I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, just curious.

any thoughts on border or something around the dry wall whole and piece on the mount to dress it up a bit? It sounds like you're putting a lot of work into this and I don't know how precisely you could get the dry wall to plug the whole when its away, you'll see some sort of seem. The exposed edge of the dry wall is not really made to stand up to wear, so it may degrade over time unless something is added to it.

Good questions and thanks for the input.

Yeah, the goal is to keep it out of sight when not in use. I plan on leaving about 1/4" gap around the edge of the bottom drywall section and I was considering two options to cover and gaps in the drywall when it's retracted:

1) Use some small radius corner moulding to make a sort of "frame" around it.

2) Find a white A/C return ceiling vent and attach that to the botton instead of the dry wall piece so it would look like a normal A/C vent in the ceiling.

I also plan on making everything white and doing some nice cable arrangement so it doesn't look horrible when it's extended. I'm more concerned with what it looks like when it's up in the ceiling.

I enjoy DIY solutions and don't mind putting the time in to get it done. I plan on using the lens shift quite a bit but would like to minimize it to maximize picture quality...plus the fact that I think it would be a cool oconversation piece when company is over

Projector - EPSON 8350
AVR - Denon 1612
Sub - Coming soon!
post #6897 of 8915 Old 03-08-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithrwhiteside View Post

I dont believe your being too pickey. I just believe you have set yourself up for a game where you are never going to find the "perfect" projector. I do believe there is no such thing as a perfect 8350 as far as i am concerned. Although this could be true for all lcd projectors. I had an hc1500 dlp and never had any complaints. To this day it still works beautifully. The only reason i bought the 8350 was due to a new house and needed lens shift for superbowl. I just "settled" and got the last "new" one from bestbuy and said i wont try to find a problem because i know i will if i look hard enough. Most people just throw it up on screen and say looks good. Most people on here are here because they want the best for there money and you look at other problems and see you have them too and then its a never ending viscious cycle. So idk what to say. You could try to get a "perfect" projector but in all reality its a trade off between sharpness, convergence, color uniformity. It is my belief as this price point and just the technology of lcd you are never going to get one that has all three of the stated things "perfect". If so then my advise would be to get yourself a dlp. Myself the "rainbows" didnt affect me it was strictly a placement problem, or else my mits would be on my shelf now instead of my sons closet lol. And as far as epson, yes they are great in sending projectors overnight but again from my experience now you have sent back 2? I sent back 2 that were "new" and i found problems. Id bet they throw the picture up on screen when they "test" them and it works and they say "ok with epson" and you are getting these projectors. Point is there is so much variance from projector to projector you just have to realize i guess that you will never get a perfect one. I know it seems rediculous that each varies so much from one to another but after 5 i know they do.

I did finally get a perfect one, after three tries. I just kept sending them back.
I have my suspicions, they may be selling referbs as new units - they have thousands of them after all.
post #6898 of 8915 Old 03-08-2012, 12:00 PM

Well as far as a conversation piece, mission accomplished. It will definitely be something fun and unique. Plus as an added benefit, given the projector footprint of the 8350 you shouldn't have too much trouble fitting some other projector in there in the future. Because lets be honest, if you're on AVS you're getting upgrades at some point!

I work with finishing contractors to do a lot of special cabinets, enclosures etc. on my jobs and for what its worth I think you're MUCH better of going with a nice white molding surround like you suggested. If you attached the molding to the drop down portion under the projector instead of surrounding the whole it would be much easier, and you could cover up a larger gap if need be. You could do something much simpler on the exposed edge of the actual ceiling drywall so that it looks clean when the unit is down.

as far as cable management goes if you attach the cords to the mount securely right near where the actuator hits the projector box, and where the actuator is attached to the ceiling, then measure out the appropriate distance the hdmi cord would simply get pulled pretty taught against the actuator pole as its retracted. Having the cable firmly attached at both ends means you can safely have some slack between where the cable enters the projector box and the inputs, that way you won't have to worry about any damage to the plugs over time. If you used that heat wrap for wires over the whole bunch of cables it would make it for one clean cable inline right with the pole, which obviously you're going to see no matter what.

Another choice may be to the entire box that would contain the projector when its stored in the attic come down. That way you can have a cable mess inside if you wish and no one can see the pole or cables or anything, You could finish the box with a white laminate of appropriate color to match the ceiling/room.

don't know what your room looks like so I just thought I'd throw out a few ideas.

Its great idea though, I do wonder how you're looking budget wise for all of this. If you wouldn't mind sharing it might be nice for the rest of us. Is there a thread you hav started for questions specifically related to the build and not just to the 8350 in general?
post #6899 of 8915 Old 03-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnizzel View Post

Well as far as a conversation piece, mission accomplished. It will definitely be something fun and unique. Plus as an added benefit, given the projector footprint of the 8350 you shouldn't have too much trouble fitting some other projector in there in the future. Because lets be honest, if you're on AVS you're getting upgrades at some point!

I work with finishing contractors to do a lot of special cabinets, enclosures etc. on my jobs and for what its worth I think you're MUCH better of going with a nice white molding surround like you suggested. If you attached the molding to the drop down portion under the projector instead of surrounding the whole it would be much easier, and you could cover up a larger gap if need be. You could do something much simpler on the exposed edge of the actual ceiling drywall so that it looks clean when the unit is down.

as far as cable management goes if you attach the cords to the mount securely right near where the actuator hits the projector box, and where the actuator is attached to the ceiling, then measure out the appropriate distance the hdmi cord would simply get pulled pretty taught against the actuator pole as its retracted. Having the cable firmly attached at both ends means you can safely have some slack between where the cable enters the projector box and the inputs, that way you won't have to worry about any damage to the plugs over time. If you used that heat wrap for wires over the whole bunch of cables it would make it for one clean cable inline right with the pole, which obviously you're going to see no matter what.

Another choice may be to the entire box that would contain the projector when its stored in the attic come down. That way you can have a cable mess inside if you wish and no one can see the pole or cables or anything, You could finish the box with a white laminate of appropriate color to match the ceiling/room.

don't know what your room looks like so I just thought I'd throw out a few ideas.

Its great idea though, I do wonder how you're looking budget wise for all of this. If you wouldn't mind sharing it might be nice for the rest of us. Is there a thread you hav started for questions specifically related to the build and not just to the 8350 in general?

Great advice, thanks! Yeah I do plan on attaching the moulding to the drop down portion of the PJ box as opposed to the ceiling like you mentioned, if I decide to go that route.

As far as cables go, I think I'll measure how much I need to get to the PJ when it's fully extended, then wrap it around the actuator arm loosely so it can coil like a phone chord as it goes up and down, and I'll also wrap it with some sort of heat shrink or something to keep it looking nice and held together.

Having the entire box come down is an option, however that would be a lot of stuff to move up and down and then I'd have a big column hanging down from the ceiling and I'd rather just see the actuator arm and a cable around it. The actuator I got is rated for 40 lbs and even though the PJ is only ~16 or so I think, I don't want to add a lot to it so it takes forever to come all the way down, although this actuator will move 1.75"/sec with no load, so we'll see how it does with the PJ on it.

As far as budget goes, so far this is what I've bought for the actuator system:

1) 30" stroke 40lb rated linear actuator from Firgelli Automations - $130
2) Two mounting brackets, one for each end of the actuator also from Firgelli - $36

Still need to get:
1) 110/120VAC to 12V DC 10amp adapter to plug the actuator into (Firgelli also has this but it's $65 and I'm sure I can find it at Radio Shack or somewhere else cheape and not have to pay shipping on it)
2) 3-way momentary rocker switch for actuator control
3) Wood/drywall/insulation for PJ box and attic housing
4) Hardware
5) Need to run another electrical circuit in the ceiling to plug in the PJ and actuator but this will only cost me a 12 pack of brew since I have friend who's an electrician

I believe that's it. I'm thinking I'll be in about $300-$350 for the whole setup, plus a weekend or two of my time!

This isn't too bad considering if would have just mounted the PJ to the ceiling directly, I would have to get one of those Chief mounts and correct me if I'm wrong but those are around $160 or so, so I don't think this is too bad on the pocket.

I'll post more pictures as I start the build. Still waiting on the actuator to be delivered, then I'll start fine tuning measurements in my ceiling for placement and getting the rest of the supplies.

This is all going in my living room which is about 14' W and is very deep since it's an open floorplan to the kitchen but the couch is about 13' 5" from the screen and PJ will be mounted 16' from screen which is 120"

I posted this a couple days ago in the General Home Theater thread but since I do have an 8350 I decided to post it here, plus this thread seems to get a lot more views.

And I should have my receiver and speakers delivered by the end of the week, and soon following will be a DIY 120" BOC screen build as well. Right now I just want to get the PJ mounted so I can stop having to put it on a shelf behind the couch...get's anoyying moving that thing around!!

Projector - EPSON 8350
AVR - Denon 1612
Sub - Coming soon!
post #6900 of 8915 Old 03-09-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Question about changing setting and memory.

If I change color temperature, gamma, auto iris on, and flesh tone, do I have to press the memory button to save the changes for each preset like living room or cinema or are they universal?

If I change rgb or contrast or brightness, etc., do these just apply to the picture mode. that I am in? And I would have to press memory to save them?

So I am asking when and how memory is used.

Thanks.

EDIT: I called Epson support with my questions and learned that changes to settings are stored for each Input and Color Mode separately so that I would have to make changes to settings for each Color Mode (Living Room, cinema et al) within an Input.

But the pj will remember these settings even when the pj is turned off and on again the following day so it would not be necessary to create a Memory. Memory would only be used if I decided to have multiple settings within a single Color Mode for an Input.

My 8350 comes tomorrow and I expect to hit the ground running with it.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page