The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 231 - AVS Forum
First ... 229  230  231 232  233  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread
joelq's Avatar joelq 04:36 PM 03-09-2012
Well, I'm late to the 8350 party, but better late than never! :-) I had set out today to get an Optoma HD20 over the 8350, mainly because of the price, but Fry's happened to have the 8350 on sale today for $999! So I jumped on it. I'll be picking it up tomorrow as the only Fry's that still had one in stock is about 40 miles away. Can't wait! :-)

shelly's Avatar shelly 10:38 PM 03-10-2012
I received my 8350 today, set it up (my new 40' high speed hdmi cable was defective, which took about an hour of troubleshooting to discover it was the cable and not the pj--I know, we've all been there before) and it is a great improvement over my Sanyo Z4.

Fortunately my current 40' hdmi works flawlessly so I am using it but had planned on having two hdmi cables connected to the pj for different sources, with the Oppo bluray player having a direct connection to the Epson bypassing the receiver, which gets the audio from the 2nd hdmi out on the Oppo.

Better colors, flesh tone and punchier picture than the older pj Great contrast and shadow detail. I used the Cinema mode in my fairly dark at night theater room. Also made the few changes to color temperature, gamma, flesh tone, eco lamp et al suggested by the projectorcentral review.

Watched Hugo.

No dust blobs, great color uniformity as no blue or red tints anywhere on the screen, great focus although the sides not as razor sharp as the middle of the screen.

I purchased from Projector People and have under 4 hours to qualify for free return but have decided it's a keeper.

One thing is bugging me, however. When I checked the lamp timer after watching the 2 hour long Hugo, and about an hour of setup earlier in the day, the lamp timer shows 0 hours.

According to the manual, when you replace the lamp and reset the lamp hour timer, it will show 0 hours until you reach 10 hours of use. So it appears that the lamp timer was reset.

Any other explanations?

If this was a return to them or a refurb from Epson, it is a mighty fine one indeed for the first day of viewing.

Shelly
mcnizzel's Avatar mcnizzel 10:40 PM 03-10-2012
it hasn't been reset, brand new ones won't show hours until you hit 10 plus either. no worries
shelly's Avatar shelly 10:43 PM 03-10-2012
So how would the folks at Projector People know if someone has used the pj for more than 4 hours?

Their policy is to accept returns within 30 days with no restocking fee if the lamp timer is under 4 hours but with a 15% restocking fee if the lamp timer shows 4-10 hours of use.

Shelly
mcnizzel's Avatar mcnizzel 10:46 PM 03-10-2012
most electronics these days have some special service or maintenance menu that shows more information than the standard menu. On most projectors ( if not all these days) the service menu shows the total hours on the unit, not just the hours on the current lamp timer. This is why if you watch if for 50 hours in a month and send it back they'll call shenanigans.
shelly's Avatar shelly 10:51 PM 03-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnizzel View Post

most electronics these days have some special service or maintenance menu that shows more information than the standard menu. On most projectors ( if not all these days) the service menu shows the total hours on the unit, not just the hours on the current lamp timer. This is why if you watch if for 50 hours in a month and send it back they'll call shenanigans.


Thanks for the explanation. It helps me feel much better that I did not get a returned unit.

It sure looked like brand new packaging throughout the box when I unpacked everything. And the pj performed as good as I could want.

Shelly
Tesla1856's Avatar Tesla1856 10:54 PM 03-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

Fortunately my current 40' hdmi works flawlessly so I am using it but had planned on having two hdmi cables connected to the pj for different sources, with the Oppo bluray player having a direct connection to the Epson bypassing the receiver, which gets the audio from the 2nd hdmi out on the Oppo.

They make splitters and 4x2 switches. I have a long run also (must be low AWG ... like 22). See my post history about both.

But, through the receiver should be fine. Set it to "through" or not to modify. AVRs don't usually change or scale 1080p anyway.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 10:56 PM 03-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by deon View Post

I did finally get a perfect one, after three tries. I just kept sending them back.
I have my suspicions, they may be selling referbs as new units - they have thousands of them after all.

I got a perfect one too this third time.

Original purchase unit developed weird tint issues on the left and right of the screen at about 160 hours use - not overly bad, but noticable on white screens. Very difficult to see on the pattern test.

1st refurb replacement had a dust blob in the middle top of the screen that was noticable on any dark scene - annoyed me, but was impossible to see on the pattern test.

2nd refurb replacement had two corners that would only alternately come into focus for PC text at 1080p. If I put one in focus, the other corner would go out of focus, and vice-versa. This was impossible to tell on the pattern, but easy to see on any PC connection via HDMI - checked two different PCs.

None of these problems were shared - all unique to each projector and all nearly impossible if not impossible to see on the pattern screens.

3rd refurb = perfect! - YES -- finally - thank you epson.


So of the three projectors I'm sending back - the original purchase, the 1st, and 2nd projector - if all epson does is check the pattern - they are going to be sending out defective projectors AGAIN to their customers. I tried to tell them this on the phone -- that pattern screen is NOT the tell all to see if the projector is in perfect working condition...I don't think my advice gained any traction. Good luck with the refurbs boys -- I think there will soon be 3 more turds in the refurb pool!
curtlots's Avatar curtlots 10:17 AM 03-11-2012
Their been counters must be telling them otherwise, but it would sure make common sense to me to do a little QC before sending out all these marginal projectors. They must count on all the "average Joe" buyers not noticing the issues the more discerning AVS'ers notice. I hope to join the 8350 ranks soon.
DevonS's Avatar DevonS 10:23 AM 03-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmountainman View Post

...According to the manual(pg 40 ) I should be able to get more than that. For instance when I tried to calibrate color with the bench mark high def blu ray and I displayed the color bar pattern I should be able to isolate colors (RGB) but all I get is the geometry pattern. So is this normal ?

The manual states:
If you're using a commercially available color calibration DVD, you can display a color-bar
test pattern and then filter colors in the image by pressing the Pattern button. Select one of the
Color Isolation options for the color you want to filter (R/G/B). This lets you adjust color settings
without holding a filter over your eyes while making adjustments. Press the Esc button when
you're done.


Does this work? All I see is the big cross-hairs target-looking pattern. How do you access the "Color Isolation" options?
smokarz's Avatar smokarz 02:41 PM 03-12-2012
Does selecting "Expanded HDMI" means the projector is expecting an RGB 0-255 signal?
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 02:50 PM 03-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Does selecting "Expanded HDMI" means the projector is expecting an RGB 0-255 signal?

It seems to be an adaptive setting on the 8350, I get the same brightness and contrast settings using expanded and feeding it a full or limited signal. If I remember correctly, it's been a bit since I played with the settings.
shelly's Avatar shelly 06:36 PM 03-12-2012
When I decided to upgrade my pj, I went to the projector central.com site, read up on the top 10, assessed my need for adequate lens shift, set my budget and decided to buy the 8350.

No regrets at all as of now but still in the first 10 hour stage.

I changed some settings based on the projector central review--auto iris on, color temp to 7500, super white on, eco lamp mode, skin tone to 4, gamma to 2.4--for the Living Room and Cinema modes, which I use the most.

Great picture. Even my wife is impressed on the upgrade in picture quality from our previouos Sanyo Z4, which makes sense going from a 720p to a 10080p pj.

Reading this thread lead me to the other Internet review by projector reviews.com, a site I had not known of despite being on my 3rd projector now.

So here's my question, and I know that every individual 8350 is probably different--why are the recommended settings so different?

Projector central, other than the changes I mentioned above, suggests a slight boost to green gain and bias, about +3 for each in the cinema mode. That's it.

Projector review calibration suggests lowering green gain by -1 but keeping green bias at 0. And they recommend lowering red bias by -5 and blue bias by -1. Other changes to the red gain of -1. This is also for the Cinema mode.

Now I have not changed any of the rgb settings recommended by each of these review sites but probably will, saving them to a Memory, to see the affect.

But the two reviews struck me as having different agendas, although that word isn't quite right. PC heartily recommends the 8350 but PR, with their latest review of the Pan 100, seems to unequivocally lean in that direction and does not use the 8350 for comparison, rather using a different Epson model.

Since I have always read every PC review, maybe it's me that has the agenda, who knows?

I think that I have gone through this entire thread but cannot recall seeing anyone's calibrated settings, other than the oft made changes based on the projector central review.

Have I missed the calibration settings of our forum members?

Shelly
DevonS's Avatar DevonS 07:39 PM 03-12-2012
Calibration settings are very specific for your environment. Ambient lighting, screen material and color, even the production date of the projector may cause slight differences. Download the AVS HD calibration disc from here. using someone else's calibration settings, unless their setup is identical to yours, probably won't yield the results you expect or even desire. Now if I could find out the answer to my last question I could finish calibrating mine
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 09:15 PM 03-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

Have I missed the calibration settings of our forum members?

Yes.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5974
Cfrederick's Avatar Cfrederick 04:45 PM 03-13-2012
auto iris
Charles R's Avatar Charles R 04:54 PM 03-13-2012
When Epson ships a replacement via FedEx do they require a signature?

Thanks.
Cfrederick's Avatar Cfrederick 04:56 PM 03-13-2012
I have an 8350 and have had 5 due to various problems. Last night I got an error message auto iris failure. Turned projector off and on and it seemed OK with error message gone. I am getting very frustrated removing projector from ceiling and replacing with another. This has been going on since NOV 11. Does anyone think I would have any luck with in getting Epson to give a different model.
pacemaker's Avatar pacemaker 04:57 PM 03-13-2012
After a years use and about 900 hours i have noticed the fan has started to 'rumble' or 'drone'
i checked the filters plus it seems to settle doen after 15 mins use
any ideas?
par4's Avatar par4 07:19 PM 03-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I got a perfect one too this third time.

Original purchase unit developed weird tint issues on the left and right of the screen at about 160 hours use - not overly bad, but noticable on white screens. Very difficult to see on the pattern test.

1st refurb replacement had a dust blob in the middle top of the screen that was noticable on any dark scene - annoyed me, but was impossible to see on the pattern test.

2nd refurb replacement had two corners that would only alternately come into focus for PC text at 1080p. If I put one in focus, the other corner would go out of focus, and vice-versa. This was impossible to tell on the pattern, but easy to see on any PC connection via HDMI - checked two different PCs.

None of these problems were shared - all unique to each projector and all nearly impossible if not impossible to see on the pattern screens.

3rd refurb = perfect! - YES -- finally - thank you epson.


So of the three projectors I'm sending back - the original purchase, the 1st, and 2nd projector - if all epson does is check the pattern - they are going to be sending out defective projectors AGAIN to their customers. I tried to tell them this on the phone -- that pattern screen is NOT the tell all to see if the projector is in perfect working condition...I don't think my advice gained any traction. Good luck with the refurbs boys -- I think there will soon be 3 more turds in the refurb pool!

Well, seems like you got a pretty good "turd" out of that "pool".........
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 09:10 PM 03-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by par4 View Post

Well, seems like you got a pretty good "turd" out of that "pool".........

I did!

but putting three back in the pool is what concerns me, because none of my issues were visible on the standard test pattern check epson likes to use to verify issues. I hope they actually review mine and fix the issues before sending them out again!
SonyCrusader's Avatar SonyCrusader 05:20 AM 03-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS View Post

The manual states:
If you’re using a commercially available color calibration DVD, you can display a color-bar
test pattern and then filter colors in the image by pressing the Pattern button. Select one of the
Color Isolation options for the color you want to filter (R/G/B). This lets you adjust color settings
without holding a filter over your eyes while making adjustments. Press the Esc button when
you’re done.


Does this work? All I see is the big cross-hairs target-looking pattern. How do you access the "Color Isolation" options?

I believe this applies only to the 8700.

I would suspect that there is something similar in the 8350 but is left "un-enabled" at the service-menu level.

Anybody have SM info yet????
Ronaldore's Avatar Ronaldore 07:35 AM 03-15-2012
Everything thing is great except for one thing, the black levels are fairly uneven across the screen. The bottom left is more than a few shades darker than the top right. This becomes less noticeable when the auto iris engages. Is this the same for all 8350's or did I get a lemmon? It's something I could live with but if it is just this particular projector I will exchange for another.
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 10:55 AM 03-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldore View Post

Everything thing is great except for one thing, the black levels are fairly uneven across the screen.

Give the bulb a little time to mellow out before you get too concerned.
Charles R's Avatar Charles R 05:33 PM 03-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I hope they actually review mine and fix the issues before sending them out again!

Virtually any projector never gets fixed. In most cases it's an optical block issue which would have to be replaced and at that point it's cheaper to simply replace the projector. They get used as warranty replacements and sold as B stock. I know everyone likes to trumpet how great Epson customer service is by overnighting a replacement and I guess compared to others it is nice. I just feel what they send out is beyond poor quality control. If their typical customer doesn't care that's fine and I can't blame them (I guess).

However they could at least offer a slightly more expensive version (of the same model) that performs within the top 10% of that model. I know I would gladly pay the premium as I have given up several times over the years attempting to find a keeper and have the fortune of trying once again for someone. And no I'm not being overly picky... simply looking for an image without visible flaws with normal content.
carp's Avatar carp 08:18 PM 03-15-2012
Mine just died, perfect timing since I won't get a replacement turd until Monday.
Conspiracy*'s Avatar Conspiracy* 11:55 AM 03-16-2012
Found an 8350 open item at a local best buy. I am going to pick it up and hope for the best. With 30 days to return and no restocking fee I have my fingers crossed!
EJ's Avatar EJ 12:24 PM 03-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Found an 8350 open item at a local best buy. I am going to pick it up and hope for the best. With 30 days to return and no restocking fee I have my fingers crossed!

How much?

When you check the menu, how many hours are on the lamp? I'd also make sure it was a customer return, and not an in-store demo unit.

Good luck!
Conspiracy*'s Avatar Conspiracy* 12:46 PM 03-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

How much?

When you check the menu, how many hours are on the lamp? I'd also make sure it was a customer return, and not an in-store demo unit.

Good luck!


Open item $1129.99 with tax 1209.08

I don't know how to check the bulb life...I was planning on looking it up before leaving the store with it.
Charles R's Avatar Charles R 04:17 PM 03-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Open item $1129.99 with tax 1209.08

I don't know how to check the bulb life...I was planning on looking it up before leaving the store with it.

Fry's was $999 last week... not sure if it's still at that price now. I checked out three (two via the swap program) and gave up. Told the guy I was checking them out for to give up. After three strikes it's not worth it.
Tags: Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350
First ... 229  230  231 232  233  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop