The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 235 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7021 of 8715 Old 04-11-2012, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have HTPC ( with ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series video Card) connected to Epson 8350 via Pioneer VSX-1120 A/V Receiver. The HDMI cable is concealed and runs approximately 30ft. There is a lot of flickering issue due to signal loss. I called support and they recommended to connect PJ directly to my HTPC. That indeed has resolved the issue of flickering. Also, when I connect through Pioneer A/V receiver and turn the Video Conversion Off, it seems to have resolved the issue. However, by doing these, the video quality suffers.

The earlier Optoma HD20 was working smoothly with this set up which recently after nearly 2600 hrs on that has had issue with color wheel and I decided to upgrade to Epson.

Any suggestion? I am thinking of buying a HDMI Equalizer Extender Repeater (3.4Gbps) from monoprice. Will that help resolving the issue? Or any other suggestion would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 8715 Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus2012 View Post

Used flat black on ceiling and a darker beige color on walls but seems like the light reflects big time onto the first 3 feet of ceiling and walls coming off the screen. Keep seeing pics posted of completely dark rooms with just the picture from projector but no reflections...

Another thing to consider is how close the screen is to the ceiling, floor and walls. If it is close to a black ceiling or floor, it will still reflect. Doing your best to put some distance between the adjacent walls will help a lot.
post #7023 of 8715 Old 04-11-2012, 12:34 PM

Well I got my 5th 8350 in 14 months yesterday. I forgot to count my 3rd one in an earlier post, wow so many I can't even remember, it (refurb) had a screw broken off in one of the mounting holes so I couldn't even mount it. Don't they check these in and out before shipping?? Anyway, I had it replaced with a BRAND NEW one that developed a big blue dot in the center of the image (that won't go away) after only 70 hours on bulb, called them and they said they'd send a replacement even though I wanted to try and troubleshoot it or possibly just get a new bulb. They're quick to just replace the whole thing. So the 5th, another refurb, doesn't work at all, blue screen with auto iris error, contact epson message. I tried the usual, power off, unplug yada yada yada, says same thing every time. Man I am tired of this sh**. How is this possible??? When this thing works, it's great and for the price, probably can't be beat but WTF, do I just have bad luck or what. Out of the 5 I've had, I never got past 480 hours on a bulb before a problem. It's pretty bad when their customer service is ten times better than their product. Now I have been referred to the next level of customer service, management I guess. I am waiting for their call and what they can do for me, this should be quite interesting. I'm sure they won't refund my $ but if they do I will take it and run!

Ha, they just called and said they can only offer a BRAND NEW replacement, no upgrades or refunds. So as you can probably guess, I will be receiving my 6th one on Friday!!!! Exciting right!, not really. Come Feb 2013, I'll be done with Epson, that is unless this one actually lasts longer than 10 months. Not getting my hopes up.
post #7024 of 8715 Old 04-11-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ace View Post

Well I got my 5th 8350 in 14 months yesterday. I forgot to count my 3rd one in an earlier post, wow so many I can't even remember, it (refurb) had a screw broken off in one of the mounting holes so I couldn't even mount it. Don't they check these in and out before shipping?? Anyway, I had it replaced with a BRAND NEW one that developed a big blue dot in the center of the image (that won't go away) after only 70 hours on bulb, called them and they said they'd send a replacement even though I wanted to try and troubleshoot it or possibly just get a new bulb. They're quick to just replace the whole thing. So the 5th, another refurb, doesn't work at all, blue screen with auto iris error, contact epson message. I tried the usual, power off, unplug yada yada yada, says same thing every time. Man I am tired of this sh**. How is this possible??? When this thing works, it's great and for the price, probably can't be beat but WTF, do I just have bad luck or what. Out of the 5 I've had, I never got past 480 hours on a bulb before a problem. It's pretty bad when their customer service is ten times better than their product. Now I have been referred to the next level of customer service, management I guess. I am waiting for their call and what they can do for me, this should be quite interesting. I'm sure they won't refund my $ but if they do I will take it and run!

Ha, they just called and said they can only offer a BRAND NEW replacement, no upgrades or refunds. So as you can probably guess, I will be receiving my 6th one on Friday!!!! Exciting right!, not really. Come Feb 2013, I'll be done with Epson, that is unless this one actually lasts longer than 10 months. Not getting my hopes up.

sounds like you've had some bad luck with your 8350s
post #7025 of 8715 Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl999 View Post

I have HTPC ( with ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series video Card) connected to Epson 8350 via Pioneer VSX-1120 A/V Receiver. The HDMI cable is concealed and runs approximately 30ft. There is a lot of flickering issue due to signal loss. I called support and they recommended to connect PJ directly to my HTPC. That indeed has resolved the issue of flickering. Also, when I connect through Pioneer A/V receiver and turn the Video Conversion Off, it seems to have resolved the issue. However, by doing these, the video quality suffers.

The earlier Optoma HD20 was working smoothly with this set up which recently after nearly 2600 hrs on that has had issue with color wheel and I decided to upgrade to Epson.

Any suggestion? I am thinking of buying a HDMI Equalizer Extender Repeater (3.4Gbps) from monoprice. Will that help resolving the issue? Or any other suggestion would help.

I'd try something simpler. Like a different HDMI cord perhaps. I have a 40ft one I am not using if interested. I have 35ft one from the same company that has not given me an issue, but I've only used it for a few hours so far and it's perfect.
post #7026 of 8715 Old 04-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Preach it, brother! I had a similar experience and left the Epson camp. The weird part is, people on here think you're crazy when you're only cursed.

=Tommy v2=
post #7027 of 8715 Old 04-14-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Got my first dust blob yesterday. I've had about 3 LCD FP before and never had a dust blob problem. This is not good are the filters in the Epson good at catching dust.

post #7028 of 8715 Old 04-16-2012, 10:43 AM

Finally pulled the trigger on the 8350...Have the home theater set up...5.1 all locked and loaded. Final piece of the puzzle was the projector, but I had to wait until the price came down a little...Found it a week ago for 1049 @ Electronics expo and then had my locl Best Buy match it...Will be ceiling mounted by the end of the evening.

I'll take some pics of my setup once done. I just hope that I get a good one out of the box, I don't have time to be shipping these back constantly.

post #7029 of 8715 Old 04-16-2012, 03:14 PM

I have had mine hooked up for a week, no issues here. Good luck.
post #7030 of 8715 Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Ok, I've had mine up since the beginning of Feb and now have 258 hours on it. Did the Disney WOW calibration and it looks great. No problems what so ever, convergence is good and no dust blobs. 120" Elite sable with a seating and throw distance of 14' and picture is as clear and bright as I expected. Over all a great combination for about $1500 total. With all of the horror stories I have been reading lately, it looks like I got pretty lucky.
post #7031 of 8715 Old 04-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehNam View Post

Ok, I've had mine up since the beginning of Feb and now have 258 hours on it. Did the Disney WOW calibration and it looks great. No problems what so ever, convergence is good and no dust blobs. 120" Elite sable with a seating and throw distance of 14' and picture is as clear and bright as I expected. Over all a great combination for about $1500 total. With all of the horror stories I have been reading lately, it looks like I got pretty lucky.

Hi,

had a question on your Elite Sable... I just got the 106 inch.
on areas of the screen with white background I get some hot spots.
I think its the reflection of the white light from the lens?

do you have this issue as well?

I see it with things like hockey.
If i change my seating position the hot/bright spots move with me...

thoughts?
post #7032 of 8715 Old 04-18-2012, 05:38 AM

Of course, I get everything hooked up an grab the camera to take some pics and the battery was dead...So photos will have to wait...but...

Right out of the gate without calibrating, it looks awesome. No convergence that I can see and if I can't see it that's all that matters. Watched about 20m of Ghost Protocol.

Next up, calibration...This should to be fun.

post #7033 of 8715 Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyv2 View Post

Preach it, brother! I had a similar experience and left the Epson camp. The weird part is, people on here think you're crazy when you're only cursed.

I've been in the forum for many years following all the threads, and Epson RMA's can be a real pain, but it can happen to any company. These stories are by no means rare, many people in here have RMa'd and had to do it 2-4 times, some 5+. The saving grace is eventually Epson will pony up and often just give you a new unit, but just hope that new unit also does not have an issue or you start all over again.

In my experience, the PJ's they send out as replacements often (not always) have poor convergence or something else wrong. That is another reason I have become more of a fan of DLP over the years at this price range. People think I am favoring DLP too much, and LCD can be good when you get a working unit, but DLP is easier to deal with except for the placement flexibility and RBE (if you are sensitive). Plus with DLP you almost never get a dust blob (it actually can happen, but it's 100x rarer), and most DLP's (the good ones anyhow) generally have consistent focus uniformity to some degree, as well as they often have better color uniformity (not all though, depends on the brand).

LCD has better blacks in the price range you get it at though.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #7034 of 8715 Old 04-18-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwoodward View Post

Hi,

had a question on your Elite Sable... I just got the 106 inch.
on areas of the screen with white background I get some hot spots.
I think its the reflection of the white light from the lens?

do you have this issue as well?

I see it with things like hockey.
If i change my seating position the hot/bright spots move with me...

thoughts?

I see the same thing but was thinking that maybe a 14' throw was a little close for 120". Have been considering moving it back a little but it is not a big enough issue to deal with right away, and like you say it is only noticeable in bright scenes.
post #7035 of 8715 Old 04-20-2012, 04:00 AM

Quote:

I'm now on number 4 - no end in sight. I'm just sad I didn't buy the panny
post #7036 of 8715 Old 04-20-2012, 04:20 AM

Hi Folks,

Can't believe how large ths thread is, still going thru it.

I am looking at pulling the trigger at Best Buy so I can get the3 yrs no interest financing.

Is the extended warranty thru BB worth it?

Have a great weekend!

Make it a Great Day,

Shawn

Epson 8350

Carada 96' Screen

Onkyo 609

Sony BDP350

Polk CS1 Center channel

Polk Monitor 60

(4) Yamaha Satellite

Yamaha and Sony Subs

post #7037 of 8715 Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 AM

I think the BB policy is a good deal, I think it was $250 or so for 4 years and it includes bulb replacement. So in 3 years when Epson warranty is up and the $280 dollar lamp goes out, I will get my money back. And with BB, in my experience with other products, in 3 years they will be carrying Epsons new 1080p projector so it highly likely they'll offer to just give me the new version. For me it made sense, might not for everyone here.
post #7038 of 8715 Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deon View Post

Out of curiosity, when you guys who are having gone through multiple machines get a brand new one, why don't you just sell it on ebay or something? Especially if you want something else. You'll lose a bit of money, but can move on.

I just hit the one year mark, and have suffered no problems at all (yet). (knock knock) I'm definitely enjoying it as much as I had hoped!
post #7039 of 8715 Old 04-20-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschantz View Post

Hi Folks,

Can't believe how large ths thread is, still going thru it.

I am looking at pulling the trigger at Best Buy so I can get the3 yrs no interest financing.

Is the extended warranty thru BB worth it?

Have a great weekend!

Best to use a credit card that adds a year to warranty.
post #7040 of 8715 Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeags View Post

Out of curiosity, when you guys who are having gone through multiple machines get a brand new one, why don't you just sell it on ebay or something? Especially if you want something else. You'll lose a bit of money, but can move on.

I just hit the one year mark, and have suffered no problems at all (yet). (knock knock) I'm definitely enjoying it as much as I had hoped!

It's the price that keeps me in the EPSON camp. The picture quality for the price just can't be beat. If it happens again eBay sounds like a good option.

When you've taken down, packaged and gone through all the bull I've gone through it's amazing I'm still on board.
post #7041 of 8715 Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 PM

I've developed a dust blob and have searched the forum and found a lot of discussion and promises of detailed instructions for cleaning, but have yet to find any. Is the only solution to either live with it or return (if possible)?
I've spent all evening here and elsewhere and come close, so I'm sorry if someone has posted the definitive answer...I just haven't found it.
Thanks, everyone.
post #7042 of 8715 Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 AM

Does anyone have any recommendations for a screen..about 100" that goes well with the 8350?
post #7043 of 8715 Old 04-28-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev6873 View Post

Does anyone have any recommendations for a screen..about 100" that goes well with the 8350?

Yep, take some drywall and paint it white.
post #7044 of 8715 Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev6873 View Post

Tell us about your room (size/colors) , PJ mounting location, viewing habits, and lighting levels.

If you match your needs and requirements to the 8350's qualities, you'll get the best balance of performance to cost possible.

The "obvious" choice once such info is provided might indeed be something as simple and a bright white Flat painted wall. Or not. Gotta have more input.

I'll lead with this.....among the 18+ 8350s I've dealt with in a raft of different situations, the variables are quite wide.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #7045 of 8715 Old 04-28-2012, 10:35 AM

off beat topic...

How is electricity/energy consumption compared to say RPG's and others?

Make it a Great Day,

Shawn

Epson 8350

Carada 96' Screen

Onkyo 609

Sony BDP350

Polk CS1 Center channel

Polk Monitor 60

(4) Yamaha Satellite

Yamaha and Sony Subs

post #7046 of 8715 Old 04-28-2012, 01:45 PM

Thanks MM.

I have attached some pictures to show you the room. The room itself is large but will be broken down into 2 sep areas...rec/bar area and the TV viewing area. The TV viewing area will have beige carpet, white ceiling and not sure about the walls yet. Open for suggestions on paint type and color, but it has to get past the wife too. There is a window behind the seating area that will have black out shade or something to block the light. Other than that, will have dimmers on the can lights.

The viewing will be for movies and sports mainly, no gaming really.

PJ will be mounted on ceiling (here is my other thread on issues with mount - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1407833). Thinking will be about 110" AT screen.

http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=Plan3.mp4

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...873/design.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...ricalImage.jpg
post #7047 of 8715 Old 04-28-2012, 03:49 PM

I've finally taken the plunge and decided on a 8350 projector for my man cave. After doing a little research on mounts I decided to go with the Chief RPA mount. Here's where my question lies. I will be ceiling mounting the pj and was wondering if I need to buy anything besides the Chief mount to accomplish this. I won't be using an extension pole, I just want it flush against the ceiling. The instructions I read online talk about needing a SLB bracket to attach the RPA to my pj. What is this bracket and do I really need to buy something else just to attach the Chief mount to my 8350?
post #7048 of 8715 Old 04-28-2012, 04:11 PM

Nevermind, read on their website that the SLB bracket is included with the RPA mount already. Will I need to purchase screws/bolts/etc to attach the mount to the ceiling or is it included already?
post #7049 of 8715 Old 04-28-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deon View Post

Yep, next one will be a panny for me. 6th 8350 making it so far, we'll see...
post #7050 of 8715 Old 04-28-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewster98 View Post

Nevermind, read on their website that the SLB bracket is included with the RPA mount already. Will I need to purchase screws/bolts/etc to attach the mount to the ceiling or is it included already?

If you stop at just the RPA-168 mount assembly, you would need some additional Hardware.

But most everyone needs / gets a ceiling Plate such as the Peerless ACC570
http://www.google.com/search?q=peerl...ient=firefox-a
Price can really vary, but Projector People can order both as a set and the price for the ACC570 is under $20.00 with them.
(ask for Kirk @ ext 2002 ...he knows all about it and honors AVS referrals.)

And BTW...it does come with all necessary Bolt hardware, and it's 1.5 NPT Threaded Opening is a match for the same on the RPA Mount, so you need only make the union between the RPA and the ACC570 using either a specific length Threaded Steel Nipple, or a "cut to size" PVC pipe w/Male Couplings at each end.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page