AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev6873 View Post

Thanks MM.

I have attached some pictures to show you the room. The room itself is large but will be broken down into 2 sep areas...rec/bar area and the TV viewing area. The TV viewing area will have beige carpet, white ceiling and not sure about the walls yet. Open for suggestions on paint type and color, but it has to get past the wife too. There is a window behind the seating area that will have black out shade or something to block the light. Other than that, will have dimmers on the can lights.

The viewing will be for movies and sports mainly, no gaming really.

PJ will be mounted on ceiling (here is my other thread on issues with mount - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1407833). Thinking will be about 110" AT screen.

Gotta condense the Thread locations. Go here and post a Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=&f=110

Nothing you've posted about is an intractable or difficult "do"...you simply have to make good choices and do it right the first time.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7052 of 8818 Old 04-29-2012, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just ordered an 8350 today. Hopefully I get a good one, not interested in playing projector roulette with Epson.
post #7053 of 8818 Old 04-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
advice please

awhile back i had the light level flicker problem which u resolved by running it in 'normal' mode instead of 'eco' as read on here. but the problem has returned.
should i try and fix it again or comtact epson for a new bulb under warranty?
the machine is a year old with 950 hours

thanks
post #7054 of 8818 Old 04-29-2012, 09:01 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDoubt View Post

I've developed a dust blob and have searched the forum and found a lot of discussion and promises of detailed instructions for cleaning, but have yet to find any. Is the only solution to either live with it or return (if possible)?
I've spent all evening here and elsewhere and come close, so I'm sorry if someone has posted the definitive answer...I just haven't found it.
Thanks, everyone.

Just thought I'd try this again. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks
post #7055 of 8818 Old 04-29-2012, 09:38 PM

I think that I've seen every post in this thread, and I don't remember a single self-fix to this issue. Warranty return is the only recommendation I remember...

Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDoubt View Post

Just thought I'd try this again. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks

post #7056 of 8818 Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeags View Post

I think that I've seen every post in this thread, and I don't remember a single self-fix to this issue. Warranty return is the only recommendation I remember...

Sorry!

Yeah, I did find this - I can't remember who posted it:
1. Green dust blob showed up in lower left corner of my screen -was a bit worried about this since its been a known problem on this thread with other 8350 users. Opened up the lamp area using a screwdriver (pops open really easily I couldn't find the official tool but any flat head works fine). Took the lamp out and blew all over the place with compressed air where the lamp sits including the lamp itself. Put lamp back into projector and woila no green dust blob. Probably my first recommendation for those having dust blob issues, before you send in the projector. (also clean the filter out periodically)

And smurf01501 mentioned this:
I will be taking this sucker apart, and I will be putting together a pictorial of my findings for all.

I probably should message him and see what happened. I called Epson and they were more than willing to replace it, but identified as an HDMI board connection problem. I was talking to them in the afternoon and had trouble recreating the problem, so I got a case no. And watched over the w/e and it was there, even in the dark scenes of Game of Thrones. I've got a lot going on and don't know what would be more hassle - trying to clean it or returning and recalibrating the new one (or both, if cleaning isn't a solution).

Thanks
post #7057 of 8818 Old 04-30-2012, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I have a particular issue that I would be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar issue. Recently I had a projector replaced because of dust blobs and getting the auto iris error very frequently so I called epson and they sent me a refurbished unit. I hook it up and it looks and works great. i have used it for about 100 hours now, and today my significant other fell asleep while watching MTV online through the HTPC. I get home and as I start browsing my movies via media browser, I notice a faint outline of something. So i pull up various solid colors and sure enough, the faint outline is that of the MTV page. Now I know it is nearly impossibly for LCD to get burn-in, I didn't think it would happen with only a few hours of a static imagine on the screen.

Has anyone else had a case where watching a static image has caused burn in and if so, after have many hours of that same image being on the screen did it burn in?

I'll post pictures later tonight

post #7058 of 8818 Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 PM

Hey guys I just bought a new 8350 and hooked it up 1st time last night and man this is awesome. This is my 1st projector and i'm loving it every single moment. I had a few Noob questions regarding the projector. This projector dose not have any speakers so I was wondering is it possible to hook up 2.1 computer speakers to this projector? i have a really good Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Computer Speakers and i was hoping to use them wit the PJ. last night i watched a movie via laptop and had to hook up the speaks to the laptop for sound. I wanted to hook up my Time Warner Cable box to the projector and the projector nor the cable box have a place where i can plug the speakers into. can you guys give me advice on what is the cheapest way to try and get sound out of this? I also have PS3 hooked up to it and of course no audio out on that as well.

I was thinking of buying a cheap 5.1 home theater system maybe in the future when i have more $$$ but for now, i can't watch regular TV on the projector due to no sound, have to use the old TV for that
post #7059 of 8818 Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by radi4fun View Post

Hey guys I just bought a new 8350 and hooked it up 1st time last night and man this is awesome. This is my 1st projector and i'm loving it every single moment. I had a few Noob questions regarding the projector. This projector dose not have any speakers so I was wondering is it possible to hook up 2.1 computer speakers to this projector? i have a really good Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Computer Speakers and i was hoping to use them wit the PJ. last night i watched a movie via laptop and had to hook up the speaks to the laptop for sound. I wanted to hook up my Time Warner Cable box to the projector and the projector nor the cable box have a place where i can plug the speakers into. can you guys give me advice on what is the cheapest way to try and get sound out of this? I also have PS3 hooked up to it and of course no audio out on that as well.

I was thinking of buying a cheap 5.1 home theater system maybe in the future when i have more $$$ but for now, i can't watch regular TV on the projector due to no sound, have to use the old TV for that

The 8350 does not handle audio. You need to use an external source to handle audio (ie: audio receiver, laptop, etc.)
post #7060 of 8818 Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 PM

Well add me to the list of those with the auto iris error problems. Projector is going back to epson this week. It will be replaced with a refurb. Here's hoping its a good one.
post #7061 of 8818 Old 05-01-2012, 01:18 PM

I've had mine for about a year now and am happy with everything except the focus. I've haven't seen this addressed yet. It seems I have to refocus at least once every viewing session. It is in a tight enclosure but it's ventilated by a 6" fan that comes on automatically. After about 30 minutes or so I can usually improve the picture by refocusing ever so slightly. It's very annoying and if I ever buy another projector I'll search for one with auto-focus.
post #7062 of 8818 Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 PM

How are folks getting local channels over rabbit ears with this one? I have one but it is only used for movies and gaming.
post #7063 of 8818 Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

can anyone update me on the 'flicker' issue in 'eco'?
after the initial fix by running in 'normal' mode for awhile it has returned and i have requested an engineer to visit

was this fault found to be down to the bulb or machine?

i don't know whether to try another temp fix or push for a new bulb/machine

thanks
post #7064 of 8818 Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgameguy View Post

How are folks getting local channels over rabbit ears with this one? I have one but it is only used for movies and gaming.

I use the ATSC TV-Tuner card in my XBMC-HTPC.

However, since I have TW cable ... it's only for emergencies (2012 end of world, etc.).

If you don't have a PC connected, I think an external ATSC tuner would be your next option. I have seen some with HDMI/DVI connections.

I think it's amazing what (quality of signal) you can get over the air these days. Of course, channel selection is limited though.

post #7065 of 8818 Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slennon View Post

Well add me to the list of those with the auto iris error problems. Projector is going back to epson this week. It will be replaced with a refurb. Here's hoping its a good one.

Update. Got my replacement and the convergence is horrible. I don't mean 2 pixels no the colors are out by 3 inches!!! On the phone with Epson now
post #7066 of 8818 Old 05-02-2012, 05:13 PM

Hopefully you can see the attached pic of my problem
LL
post #7067 of 8818 Old 05-02-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Wow, I think you got the new 3D model that should come with the old red/blue glasses.
post #7068 of 8818 Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slennon View Post

Hopefully you can see the attached pic of my problem

The looks pretty bad. Seriously, do these folks not at least plug the thing in for a quick once over before calling them fixed and sending them back out as refurbs? Makes me feel like I picked the wrong horse by going with the Epson!
post #7069 of 8818 Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 PM

No I dont think they do. In fact the Epson rep put a note asking them to check the pic on replacement number two before it goes out.
post #7070 of 8818 Old 05-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Anybody tried these settings compared to Art's

http://www.hometheater.com/content/e...ector-settings

also

had my unit swapped today due to the flivker problem. rep said unlickly to be bulb as prob only in eco mode
post #7071 of 8818 Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike734 View Post

I've had mine for about a year now and am happy with everything except the focus. I've haven't seen this addressed yet. It seems I have to refocus at least once every viewing session. It is in a tight enclosure but it's ventilated by a 6" fan that comes on automatically. After about 30 minutes or so I can usually improve the picture by refocusing ever so slightly. It's very annoying and if I ever buy another projector I'll search for one with auto-focus.

What projectors have auto-focus?
post #7072 of 8818 Old 05-04-2012, 05:20 AM

Received my 8350, waiting for a new ceiling mount to arrive (Peerless PRG-UNV) but set up the projector on a table in front of the screen just to check it and I have these observations:

1) Like many have said, this projector is much larger than expected, 3x larger than my HC1500.

2) The lens shift is different than I expected, one wheel adjusts horizontally, the other wheels seems to shift the lens on an angle or if you move the wheel back and fourth it kinda moves up and down. The wheels just seem so cheap feeling that it's like I'm going to break something inside the projector.

Answer me this, how does the lens shift work? Are you shifting the lens relative to the chip, turning a mirror? Is there any picture degradation when using the lens shift?

3) The projector is very quiet (one of the reasons I bought this over the HC4000), my A/C vent is now the loudest thing in the room.

4) I didn't hook up a source yet but just going into the MENU and putting up the test pattern I don't see any convergence issues. My temporary setup on the table is too close to the screen to fill the screen with an image but so far so good.
post #7073 of 8818 Old 05-04-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 243
using the lens shift, the lens itself is the only thing that moves.

I've installed a great many 8350s, and never has the shift wheels given anyone a problem.

However, when extremely loud bass is played, and with a ceiling mount, the ceiling was often able to vibrate, so some people have experienced having the lens drop a small percentage. This can be avoided by using the Len's small foam packing ring trimmed to the appropriate size, and placed between the PJ housing housing and the lens.

Try to place the projector as centered on the screen side to side, and with the Len's top edge being as close as possible to the top edge of the screen. Reducing the amount of lens shift required either way is always best..

With a 8350 you would only notice a bit of damage degradation at the end of the lens shift parameters.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #7074 of 8818 Old 05-04-2012, 06:58 AM

I've noticed the bass can make the projector shake a bit as well, but maybe you're right, maybe it's just the lens.

That's my only gripe.

Can't believe all the negatives put out there over this projector. Just sit down and watch a movie already...it looks amazing.
post #7075 of 8818 Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

What projectors have auto-focus?

I wondered if someone would ask that. I never researched it but I assumed some do. If not, I'll just have to live with re-focus. Doesn't anyone else have this problem?
post #7076 of 8818 Old 05-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC_Dude View Post

Received my 8350, waiting for a new ceiling mount to arrive (Peerless PRG-UNV) but set up the projector on a table in front of the screen just to check it and I have these observations:

1) Like many have said, this projector is much larger than expected, 3x larger than my HC1500.

2) The lens shift is different than I expected, one wheel adjusts horizontally, the other wheels seems to shift the lens on an angle or if you move the wheel back and fourth it kinda moves up and down. The wheels just seem so cheap feeling that it's like I'm going to break something inside the projector.

Answer me this, how does the lens shift work? Are you shifting the lens relative to the chip, turning a mirror? Is there any picture degradation when using the lens shift?

3) The projector is very quiet (one of the reasons I bought this over the HC4000), my A/C vent is now the loudest thing in the room.

4) I didn't hook up a source yet but just going into the MENU and putting up the test pattern I don't see any convergence issues. My temporary setup on the table is too close to the screen to fill the screen with an image but so far so good.

HTPC_Dude, I just received my 8350 on Tuesday. I got a refurb from Projector People. I have many of the same observations as you.

With all the recent negative posts (well deserved) I was more than a little worried about the quality of the projector I would be getting. I temporarily set up the projector in the living room. Once it got darker outside I projected onto one of the only blank walls in the house. The wall limited me to a size of roughly 72" wide. These are my initial impressions:

- I immediately checked for convergence issues. I used the built in pattern that the projector has. The convergence looks nearly perfect until I get to the line at the far right side of the pattern. Here I can see very, very slight miss-convergence. Nothing I am at all concerned about. I can't see any other problems, no dust blobs, nothing. I feel I got a great unit.

- This is my first projector and I now fully understand how nice it is to have lens shift. My temporary position was quite a bit out of whack, but with lens shift, I got the picture right where I needed it. Very easy to do!

- The wall is painted a darker tan, so it's not ideal at all. But WOW! Unbelievable picture even right out of the box. Already, this thing looks like a giant LCD TV hanging on the wall!

- While viewing, I'm sitting on a chair right next to the projector. In eco/cinema mode, the projector is nearly silent. It gets slightly noisier at each step up in brightness. In dynamic mode (or holy sh$t is this thing bright mode), which I will never use, it makes about the same amount of noise as my PS3 slim. While in cinema mode, with the iris on, I can hear the iris operating and it does sound like a computer hard drive. It's fairly quiet and I don't think I will be able to hear it when the projector is mounted on the ceiling in it's final position.

- I spent the next couple hours glued to the image on the wall. I was reluctant to take it down the next day, but I now have a lot of work ahead of me to convert my theater from 65" RPTV to projection.

Thanks to many people for all the informative posts made in this thread and others. Particularly MississippiMan, Coderguy, and others who tirelessly share their wealth of knowledge!!!! I spent the last few months scouring threads about the Epson 3010, Optoma HD33, Benq 6000, Mitsubishi 4000, and a couple others. In the end I think I made the right decision (for me) going with the 8350. Thanks!

Now the work begins. I will be building my own 110" 16x9 screen using the acoustically transparent Seymour Center Stage XD material. My buddy just got a screen from them and it's just amazing to see the great projection and the great sound coming from the same plane as the main speakers. I never posted pictures before of my theater, but I'll have to post some before & after photos once everything is done. I can't wait to get there and post my final impressions.
post #7077 of 8818 Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 AM

So, I bought an 8350 new on ebay. I'm projecting it at about 16' to a Favi electric 120" screen. I have to say that upon hooking it up and watching Avatar (and later Troy) Blu-Ray, the image quality was pretty disappointing. It just didn't seem as sharp as I expected it to be, no matter how much I adjusted the focus knob. It is ceiling mounted about 4-5" from the ceiling and it projects on the wall the the top of the image being even with the position of the projector. Could the lens shift that I'm using be the cause of the "softness" of the picture?

When I get home tonight, I'm going to lower the screen and check the pattern that is included with the projector to see if there's a convergence problem. I also want to use other patterns but I'm not sure how how to project them onto the screen. Am I supposed to copy the images of the test patterns and "text screens" to a DVD and project them that way?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also, since I bought the projector from ebay, am I pretty much screwed when it comes to getting any type of support from epson?
post #7078 of 8818 Old 05-04-2012, 09:03 AM

Lee, I can't answer any of your other questions, except possibly your focus softness could be due to the 16' throw, I would expect that as you move away from the screen the sharpness may decrease slightly.

As for you warranty and support, I would think Epson would provide support regardless of where you purchased the unit as long as you have a valid serial number.
post #7079 of 8818 Old 05-04-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1741 View Post

Am I supposed to copy the images of the test patterns and "text screens" to a DVD and project them that way?

Assuming you have a DVD burner on your computer download the AVS HD 709 file and burn it to DVD. It's free and a very useful calibration disc.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7080 of 8818 Old 05-04-2012, 09:12 AM

On another note, I just got through doing the trig calculations to see if my ceiling fan will be in the way of the projected image hitting the screen and I can say after double checking my numbers that I should have about 0.75" of clearance.

This is coming from the Mits HC1500 that is on an inexpensive ceiling mount which puts the lens 11" from the ceiling to the Peerless mount that puts the Epson only 7.8" from the ceiling. Luckily I had about 4.5" to spare when I measured the distance between the HC1500 light beam and fan blade. The math would seem simple but I also needed to compensate for the EPSON being 3" closer to the fan, hence needing to do a little trig to check the angle of the light beam.

The good news is I don't believe I will need to purchase a ceiling plate and down rod just to clear the fan blades, saving me $55.

I purchased the 8350 new for $1080 (including shipping), I was hoping to get in on a refurb deal but it just didn't work out, so I paid an extra $180 that I didn't quite plan on. This with the new $110 mount, my projector upgrade is adding up. Saving a little on not needing the extra hardware makes me feel a little better.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page