Forum Jump: 

post #7111 of 8718 Old 05-09-2012, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guspaz View Post

I did take the 8345 back to Futureshop for a replacement. I could have mailed it to Epson, and probably got an 8350 back in exchange (+200 lumens, supposedly), but Epson only ships via Purolator, and their shipping depot is inconvenient to get to. Canada Post or UPS would have been nice.

Hi Guspaz,

Sorry to hear that our depot is not easily convenient in your area. If you are expecting another shipment, please feel free to contact me and I can verify if there are any Authorized Retail Agents or closer Retail Counters where the package could be transferred to.

If you have any other questions or comments, please donÂ't hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Jérémie
Social Media Coordinator / Customer Care Team
Coordonateur - Médias Sociaux / Ãquipe d'Assistance Ã* la Clientèle

Purolator Inc.
E-mail / Courriel: customer.care@purolator.com ou/or assistance.clients@purolator.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 8718 Old 05-09-2012, 02:22 PM

Hm,

Has anyone noticed some convergence issue on the 8350? We got an open box set from BestBuy, and noticed some horrible convergence. Decided to step up to a 3010 once the $100 rebate is back.
post #7113 of 8718 Old 05-10-2012, 05:58 PM

Ok...Hit 10 hrs...No trouble with mine so far...Was noticing a slight flicker, but it turns out my receiver has a handshake issue (arghh, Onkyo) and when I go from projector to blu-ray player all is well.

Just had a baby so I still haven't taken time to calibrate it fully, but out of the box it's better than anything I already have in the house and above 3X the size...

post #7114 of 8718 Old 05-10-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post

Hm,

Has anyone noticed some convergence issue on the 8350? We got an open box set from BestBuy, and noticed some horrible convergence. Decided to step up to a 3010 once the $100 rebate is back.

Probably why it was open box. Somebody brought it back. Yeah, some units have problems, but not across the board.
post #7115 of 8718 Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 AM

Liked: 11
I also have about 10 hrs on the projector and so far I don't see any issues with the unit. Focus is consistent across the screen, convergence is very good, color is good, no complaints here.
post #7116 of 8718 Old 05-12-2012, 05:57 PM

Hi all. I have an 8350 with 1300 hrs. on it. Running mostly on cinema mode, normal iris, and Eco mode. I have noticed lately watching from any source ( bluray, cable, PC) that the brightness would fluctuate, almost like a flicker.
I played around with my setting and could not find a solution. Anyone else encountered this issue?
post #7117 of 8718 Old 05-12-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj75 View Post

Hi all. I have an 8350 with 1300 hrs. on it. Running mostly on cinema mode, normal iris, and Eco mode. I have noticed lately watching from any source ( bluray, cable, PC) that the brightness would fluctuate, almost like a flicker.
I played around with my setting and could not find a solution. Anyone else encountered this issue?

Try running on LivingRoom color mode ... and Normal brightness (non-eco) ... all for 30 minutes or so and see it that evens out the bulb.

post #7118 of 8718 Old 05-13-2012, 06:09 PM

I have had this Epson for about 4 months now and it is an excellent panny. My question is I am moving into a new house and I will have a AC vent in the middle of the room. Since this panny has a horizontal shift in it how far to the right can I move it. I will have a 125in screen and it will be about 14 ft from the screen. Thanks
post #7119 of 8718 Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
AricB...the only time I've seen the term "panny" is as an abbreviation for Panasonic.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #7120 of 8718 Old 05-13-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AricB View Post

I am moving into a new house and I will have a AC vent in the middle of the room. Since this panny has a horizontal shift in it how far to the right can I move it. I will have a 125in screen and it will be about 14 ft from the screen. Thanks

Have you looked at the calculator at epson.com? It will give you max offset for your distance.

At 18ft (96" diag.), max seems to be about 3ft off center.

Have you considered keeping it centered, and mounting in front of vent or behind it (as allowed to obtain desired screen size)?

post #7121 of 8718 Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:

I have had this Epson for about 4 months now and it is an excellent panny. My question is I am moving into a new house and I will have a AC vent in the middle of the room. Since this panny has a horizontal shift in it how far to the right can I move it. I will have a 125in screen and it will be about 14 ft from the screen. Thanks

Whats the issue?

its in the middle of the ceiling? the wall? not sure what you are trying to move around here...
post #7122 of 8718 Old 05-14-2012, 02:55 AM
c3k

I _finally_ got my screen set up, my amp hooked in, and my 8350 hanging from the ceiling. A basement rec room, 4 windows, 16' across and 35' long, 106" visual apex motorized screen with the projector about 17' from the screen.

Jaw droppingly gorgeous.

This is great. It is silent...(or close enough it doesn't matter). The contrast, colors, brightness.... But then, you guys have heard all this before.

Thanks to all who have posted about their experiences. Reading about it on this forum is what prompted me to buy the Epson HD8350. I'm glad I did.

Thanks guys!

Ken
post #7123 of 8718 Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 AM

I'm glad I did too, enjoy. Post pics.
post #7124 of 8718 Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:

I'm assuming that you have to shift your mounting position to the left or right of the vent, and that the HVAC runs the length of the room, so mounting it in front or behind the vent is not an option.

That being said, you'll have no problems shifting your 8350 off-center to avoid the vent. I encourage you to play around with the horizontal lens shift in your current location to see the range that the 8350 can handle.
post #7125 of 8718 Old 05-15-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The 8350 has a very generous amount of shift, IMO. I ideally try to keep things as dead-center as possible, in case shifting degrades the picture in any way, but I've recently moved my movie room down from the loft to my living room, and may position my 8350 off-center and between (and just behind) two of my chairs (shooting low rather than shooting from the ceiling mount I had in my loft). I've already experimented with it, and it worked well, though getting up out of the chair made it much easier to block the lens compared to when it was ceiling mounted in my loft (which had very high ceilings, too, so it was actually pretty easy to get up to use the bathroom without ever blocking the image). The plus side with the floor mount, though, will be that I'll get some added brightness boost from my Da-Lite High Power screen, since that screen is designed to maximize brightness in the same angle that the light source comes from.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #7126 of 8718 Old 05-16-2012, 04:19 AM
c3k

Quick note:

I know that all video adjustments should be considered matters of personal preference. Having said that, I ran the Disney WOW calibration routine disk after mounting my HD8350. Amazingly, right out of the box it was setup correctly.

I'm sure I could play with some settings, but I've never had a TV/monitor which was so well calibrated when I first turned it on.

Ken
post #7127 of 8718 Old 05-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I just got my 8350 set up a couple days ago. I only have a couple hours viewing at this point, but overall I'm very impressed.

I've been meaning to re-post these settings from Droid6 (thanks) and the post from c3K above served as a reminder.

I have not had time to adjust settings on my own on the projector yet, and don't have any specialized equipment to analyze these as I go, so I used the settings from Droid6 as a starting point. I realize that everyone has different equipment, rooms, environments, etc... and no two people will likely have the exact same settings, but I feel these are giving me good results.

If I had any complaint at this point, I would have to say I'm not seeing as much variation in the black details as I think I should be seeing. I've read other threads and have seen photos posted that are showing more detail than I'm experiencing at this point. I realize that the 8350 does not have the great blacks that some of the more expensive projectors have, but I know I'm not getting the best that I can yet.

The post with these settings is over a year old though. (perhaps posted more recently) Are there any more recent developments that would result in any of the major settings to change? I'm only asking because I have read some conflicting opinions about using/not using the super white setting and/or the HDMI extended setting.

Like c3K, I also have the Disney WOW disk. The two easy settings I did check were brightness and contrast. Pretty much on the nuts with the settings below. My contrast ended up at 10 rather than 8 though.

My question has more to do with the Gamma, RGB, and RGBCMY. I really don't know how to adjust these settings using the WOW disk. I notice that the settings below for these controls really vary and go away from the default zero settings by some large amounts plus and minus. Are these particular settings likely to vary wildly depending on the projector & environment, or are these going to be the types of settings that are more universally correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

Natural
Brightness -11
Contrast 8
Color Saturation 0
Tint -2
Sharpness Advanced (All 4 Settings) 0
Abs. Color Temp. 6500K
Skin Tone 0

Advanced...

Gamma Custom 0 -6 -7 -8 -7 -7 -7 -8 5

RGB
Offset R 6
Offset G 0
Offset B 23
Gain R -2
Gain G 0
Gain B -25

RGBCMY
R 0 -13 -7
G -37 -49 48
B -7 10 -6
C 0 -41 31
M -16 -9 -16
Y -3 -9 8

Power Consumption ECO
Auto Iris Off or Normal

Signal [Advanced]
Noise Reduction Off
EPSON Super White Off
Overscan Off
HDMI Video Range Expanded

PS3 Settings...

Video Settings
-RGB Full Range (HDMI) =Limited
-Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI) =On

post #7128 of 8718 Old 05-17-2012, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Ok.... I think I found the answers I was looking for. Looks like I have a bit of reading ahead of me.

Epson Calibration Guide! http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134710

FYI, I played around with the gamma a little bid last night.

The post above has these settings for gamma: Gamma Custom 0 -6 -7 -8 -7 -7 -7 -8 5

I found that (+) 6 instead of -6 on the second slider improved black detail tremendously. It has me wondering if the -6 is a typo and should instead be +6
post #7129 of 8718 Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

I found that (+) 6 instead of -6 on the second slider improved black detail tremendously. It has me wondering if the -6 is a typo and should instead be +6

Seems to me that different screens and/or wall color would require different gamma settings. Possibly even source playback machine and maybe even content could play a part? Basically, it varies from install to install.

post #7130 of 8718 Old 05-17-2012, 03:54 PM

hello,
I have had my 8350 since 2010 and have been very happy with it. However relatively recently I have noticed dust blobs randomly on the screen and discolouring all the way down right hand side of the image. Dust blobs I can live with but the discolouring is annoying

The discolouring down the right hand side is most obvious on the dimmer colour modes like x.v color, cinema and natural. It is almost unnoticeable on dynamic. It is also right at the very edge running the full vertical length. Shifting the image doesnt improve anything, the whole image shifts along with the discolouring exactly the same as if it was in normal position

My lamp has 1200 hours on it but has run on econ mode and x.v colour for those hours.

I'm out of warranty so sending back to epson isnt an option for me

What would you guys recommend I could do to solve this?

Was a dust blob cleaning tutorial ever posted up?

Would the right hand discolouring be something that would be fixed with a new bulb? (is this happening because my bulb is about to fail?)

As mentioned earlier I had none of these issues when the projector was new, my main objective is to address the discolouring...

thanks in advance
post #7131 of 8718 Old 05-17-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

How long have you had it? It seems like many have reported getting excellent customer service from Epson, where they've gone above and beyond on issues (though the issues were things that shouldn't have happened in the first place). It might be worth emailing/calling them.

The other day I thought I noticed what looked like a dead pixel (or small cluster), and wondered if it could be one of those dust blobs I'd read about. What does a dust blob look like exactly? Mine seemed to be only the size of 4-8 pixels, and I haven't gone back yet to confirm whether it could even just be a speck of dirt on the outside of the lens.

Scott R
--------------
post #7132 of 8718 Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 PM

srauly my main issue is I bought it online from US and I live in Aus.
Pretty sure this means I have no warranty at all
post #7133 of 8718 Old 05-18-2012, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone have tips on how to remove dust from behind the lens? Seeing some dust spots projected onto my screen when theres nothing but a black screen showing.
post #7134 of 8718 Old 05-19-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach250 View Post

Anyone have tips on how to remove dust from behind the lens? Seeing some dust spots projected onto my screen when theres nothing but a black screen showing.

I'm also experiencing two rather large, faint green blobs on the screen when it's dark. Any tips on how to clean them out? Should I just take canned air and spray into the vents? Any help greatly appreciated.
post #7135 of 8718 Old 05-19-2012, 07:12 PM

From page 236

1. Green dust blob showed up in lower left corner of my screen -was a bit worried about this since its been a known problem on this thread with other 8350 users. Opened up the lamp area using a screwdriver (pops open really easily I couldn't find the official tool but any flat head works fine). Took the lamp out and blew all over the place with compressed air where the lamp sits including the lamp itself. Put lamp back into projector and woila no green dust blob. Probably my first recommendation for those having dust blob issues, before you send in the projector. (also clean the filter out periodically)
post #7136 of 8718 Old 05-19-2012, 08:58 PM

Thank you sir. I will give it a go.
post #7137 of 8718 Old 05-21-2012, 11:34 AM

Hey Guys, long time since ive been on here! got a new addition to the house my SOn, anyways
I have a 15x16 room dedicated to theatre and i have a wilson art designer white laminate screen 120, a denon avr 790 and a epson 8350 running it. OK now, I really want 3d but love my 8350, so i want a 5010 what do u all think? also i tried the new ONKYO 616,515 and both wont work with my 8350. the display would lokk good for a sec then bounce around and distort, almost like a VHS tape that needs tracking. SO dont know what reciever to get either, my budget for reciever is about 700 tops and projector wise 2700. the screen needs to be re stretched lol. thanks for all the help
LL
post #7138 of 8718 Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 AM

also as for the epson 5010 any ideas for compatable glasses? ty. B&H photo seemed to have the best price on the 5010. i dont know any other reputable companys there are none in knoxville tn that i know of
post #7139 of 8718 Old 05-21-2012, 06:25 PM

I just wanted to post about my experience with epson customer service tonight. I purchased my 8350 in February of 2011 for the Super Bowl. It had been working great until a few months ago when I began getting the error in auto iris warnings. I would shut it down and hit the power switch and all would be right in the world. It happened more and more frequently until tonight when it turned on and the bulb went out.

I called customer service and because of the auto iris issues I was having they are overnighting a replacement. I didn't ask for that, I called expecting to find out how to get it serviced and to buy a new bulb. I have never had an experience where a company stands behind its products like this.

I just thought I would post about a great customer service experience and that epson has my projector $$$ for years to come
post #7140 of 8718 Old 05-22-2012, 03:53 AM

Yes epson is very eager to send you a replacement. It seems no matter what the issue is their solution is to just "overnight a replacement to you". Now i dont want to be the negative force here and jinx you but welcome to the espson circle of returns. If you are very lucky your replacement will be as good as yours before it went haywire. Many of us on here have played the exchange game 4 or 5 times. They will be good about just exchanging them for you if you are not satisfied so be patient and dont settle and just prepare yourself for the game. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page