The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 239 - AVS Forum
First ... 237  238  239 240  241  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread
Nitrox36's Avatar Nitrox36 02:07 PM 05-22-2012
Anyone ??

OSUDesi's Avatar OSUDesi 02:32 PM 05-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrox36 View Post

Hey Guys, long time since ive been on here! got a new addition to the house my SOn, anyways
I have a 15x16 room dedicated to theatre and i have a wilson art designer white laminate screen 120, a denon avr 790 and a epson 8350 running it. OK now, I really want 3d but love my 8350, so i want a 5010 what do u all think? also i tried the new ONKYO 616,515 and both wont work with my 8350. the display would lokk good for a sec then bounce around and distort, almost like a VHS tape that needs tracking. SO dont know what reciever to get either, my budget for reciever is about 700 tops and projector wise 2700. the screen needs to be re stretched lol. thanks for all the help

You may have something else going on if the new Onkyos won't work since they use standard HDMI v1.4A connections. I have an Onkyo 709 and it works flawlessly. I'd try a different HDMI cable and see if that is the culprit.

As for all your 5010 questions, I don't know. Might want to find a 5010 forum and ask them.
Nitrox36's Avatar Nitrox36 03:19 PM 05-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUDesi View Post

You may have something else going on if the new Onkyos won't work since they use standard HDMI v1.4A connections. I have an Onkyo 709 and it works flawlessly. I'd try a different HDMI cable and see if that is the culprit.

As for all your 5010 questions, I don't know. Might want to find a 5010 forum and ask them.

lol wow, I was hoping for some input, not a go some where else! I see posts that r pages of ideas, so anybody else?
srauly's Avatar srauly 03:30 PM 05-22-2012
Seriously, there's a thread dedicated to the 5010 model here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1377321

If you're asking questions about the 5010, you should be asking them there, not asking them here and then wondering why no one responded. People here aren't not responding because they're rude, they're not responding because they own the 8350, not the 5010, and most likely have little to no personal experience with the 5010.
nineset's Avatar nineset 09:07 PM 05-22-2012
I finally got sick of the dust blobs... thus is my story of warning... do not blow compressed air in a hot projector lol... I'm sure most of you would have known that already... Flames!...! lots of flames and burnt polarizer... and I'm missing an eyelash or two. HAHAH no worries I was going for a darwin award... maybe next year.

Waited for the projector to cool and then went to again. It's easy to get into the projector. I was successful in blowing out the largest of my dust blobs (red and some green). I'm confident with a cold projector that this could be a safe and non-damaging clean out. I'm going to in a few weeks dismantle it completely remove the mother board and do some cleaning around the polarizer/lcd area. I will post a tutorial at that point for basic cleaning. So my eyelash loss can be your gain
curtlots's Avatar curtlots 07:03 AM 05-23-2012
Looking forward to the video nineset! Perhaps an eyelash curler would help to hide the loss of those 'lashes.

Curious, what causes dust blobs to appear? Does dust settle on the bulb & burn-in, on the lens, or something else?
jvinhj240's Avatar jvinhj240 04:39 PM 05-23-2012
i am running this cable, you guys think this is good enough or do i have issue with this as lagging?
http://www.amazon.com/Aurum-Ultra-Se...7812417&sr=8-1
Duke Broadway's Avatar Duke Broadway 08:13 PM 05-23-2012
Hey guys,

I am in the process for finishing my basement and will be placing a projector in the family room portion of a 15' x 30' open room. I am in the final stages of running my electrical and trying to determine a location for power for the projector.

Here are the key considerations:

Screen size: 106 inches
Ceiling height: 7' 9"
Top of screen: 7.5" from ceiling
Bottom of screen: 33.5" from floor
Left edge of screen: 36" from wall
Planned throw: 13'

I am trying to figure out the best location to ceiling mount the projector. The thing that is the biggest factor is my want for gaming with the Kinect. Obviously I would like to game with out casting shadows. I assume I will need to use some vertical lens shift due to placement of my screen, which may limit the amount of horizontal shift. Any suggestions on placement, or should I just say screw it and mount it dead center.

Thanks Guys.
MississippiMan's Avatar MississippiMan 10:03 PM 05-23-2012
Duke,

You need to mount the Top edge of the Screen almost against the Edge of the Ceiling, and place the Pj as far forward as possible and still get the image size you want (...or less would be better...) That would be at 11' from the Screen.

And absolutely try to center the lens on the screen. The Pj can / should be mounted so that the Bottom (top when inverted) is about 6" off the ceiling. Use a dedicated Mounting system such as the Chief RPA168 and a Peerless ACC570 Round Ceiling Plate
(get both through Projector People Ext 2002 -Kirk) You'll connect the Chief & Peerless units with a NPT 1.5" dia. x 2" Threaded Steel Pipe Nipple (Home Depot)

Do all of that and you'll be able to stand about 8' from the Screen without casting a shadow.....closer if your kids are munckin sized. Or you...either way.
Duke Broadway's Avatar Duke Broadway 10:41 PM 05-23-2012
MississippiMan,

Thanks for the advice. Basically that 7.5inch from top of ceiling accounts for screen housing. I am planning on going with a VApex standard electric screen.

I am 5'8" so that could be considered munchin size...lol. I was just thinking that for general viewing, it might be a more pleasant experience if the PJ was mounted behind seating. I am open to anything though. I know for the screen size I have planned 10'4" is the closest i can go for throw distance.

I just want to allow myself wiggle room for an upgrade down the line. In the future I intend to have a tv mounted on the projector wall an the screen will be offset enough from the wall to conceal the tv when the projector is in use.

Thanks again.
curtlots's Avatar curtlots 09:50 AM 05-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

Curious, what causes dust blobs to appear? Does dust settle on the bulb & burn-in, on the lens, or something else?

I quote me... Still curious. What's the answer?
sschantz's Avatar sschantz 07:23 AM 05-26-2012
Since I am buying the 8350 myself, might I inquire what types of HDMI cables you are using? I have gone blind reading all the different reviews but figured I would ask people here with the same product...

Also, if anyone is a Best Buy Silver Rewards Zone Member, they offer a $100 coupon on any home theater purchases. Here is the catch, a Geek Squad member will come to your home and give you a free home theater assessment and gives you the coupon then and there. I spoke to the Store Manager and told him, I already know what I want and don't want to waste a Geek Squads time to come out here to just give me the coupon. He said no problem and when I come in to ask for him and he will do the $100 discount.

So it brings this down to $1199....not too shabby
OSUDesi's Avatar OSUDesi 09:27 AM 05-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschantz View Post

Since I am buying the 8350 myself, might I inquire what types of HDMI cables you are using? I have gone blind reading all the different reviews but figured I would ask people here with the same product...

Also, if anyone is a Best Buy Silver Rewards Zone Member, they offer a $100 coupon on any home theater purchases. Here is the catch, a Geek Squad member will come to your home and give you a free home theater assessment and gives you the coupon then and there. I spoke to the Store Manager and told him, I already know what I want and don't want to waste a Geek Squads time to come out here to just give me the coupon. He said no problem and when I come in to ask for him and he will do the $100 discount.

So it brings this down to $1199....not too shabby

All my cables are from Monoprice.com... Don't spend any more than $10 for a cable. Any cables that cost more are a ripoff.
HTPC_Dude's Avatar HTPC_Dude 06:15 PM 05-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUDesi View Post

All my cables are from Monoprice.com... Don't spend any more than $10 for a cable. Any cables that cost more are a ripoff.

Yep, I have a 25ft HDMI from Monoprice, it's also "in-wall" rated and is almost too thick of a cable to make bends easily. Very good quality for a very low price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschantz View Post

Since I am buying the 8350 myself, might I inquire what types of HDMI cables you are using? I have gone blind reading all the different reviews but figured I would ask people here with the same product...

Also, if anyone is a Best Buy Silver Rewards Zone Member, they offer a $100 coupon on any home theater purchases. Here is the catch, a Geek Squad member will come to your home and give you a free home theater assessment and gives you the coupon then and there. I spoke to the Store Manager and told him, I already know what I want and don't want to waste a Geek Squads time to come out here to just give me the coupon. He said no problem and when I come in to ask for him and he will do the $100 discount.

So it brings this down to $1199....not too shabby

Picked mine up for $1080 no tax, free shipping. Keep shopping you will find a better deal.
HTPC_Dude's Avatar HTPC_Dude 06:16 PM 05-26-2012
My only complaint so far is that the text does not seem as sharp as my old 720p DLP projector. Keep playing with the focus but it's just a little soft when I view text.
Jobu604's Avatar Jobu604 06:29 PM 05-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC_Dude View Post

Yep, I have a 25ft HDMI from Monoprice, it's also "in-wall" rated and is almost too thick of a cable to make bends easily. Very good quality for a very low price.



Picked mine up for $1080 no tax, free shipping. Keep shopping you will find a better deal.

Where'd you get it for $1080?
kevinwoodward's Avatar kevinwoodward 07:15 PM 05-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC_Dude View Post

My only complaint so far is that the text does not seem as sharp as my old 720p DLP projector. Keep playing with the focus but it's just a little soft when I view text.

yes I agree...
when i send my htpc to it
the text seems soft...

anyone else see this issue?
HTPC_Dude's Avatar HTPC_Dude 07:39 AM 05-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu604 View Post

Where'd you get it for $1080?

Electronics Expo through Amazon.
milkman55's Avatar milkman55 10:44 AM 05-27-2012
Didn't find the Electronics Expo on Amazon, but both Projector People and Visual Apex have it for $1099 over Memorial Day weekend, free ship and no tax.

Going to order mine today from PP. This will be my first theater setup. Going with the Elite Sable 110" screen off Amazon for $279, prime shipping.

Looking forward to trying this out. I already had three LED TV's and wanted to try something different.

This thread has been very helpful.
Grayson73's Avatar Grayson73 11:39 AM 05-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC_Dude View Post

My only complaint so far is that the text does not seem as sharp as my old 720p DLP projector. Keep playing with the focus but it's just a little soft when I view text.

Strange that 720p would be sharper than 1080p. Is that because the 720p is DLP and the 1080p is LCD?
kawie01's Avatar kawie01 02:35 PM 05-27-2012
Bulb dimming? It may be me, but it sure does seem like my bulb is dimming at 500 hours. Anyone else have a bulb go this early?
HTPC_Dude's Avatar HTPC_Dude 04:56 PM 05-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

Strange that 720p would be sharper than 1080p. Is that because the 720p is DLP and the 1080p is LCD?

I think this is just part of the DLP vs LCD debate. My DLP was always tack sharp but the Epson, while very good, is not quite as sharp when viewing text from my HTPC. I guess it is one of the trade offs I made not to hear the DLP color wheel noise, the Epson is nearly silent, the air coming out of my A/C vent makes more noise.

Also, the Epson does not heat up my home theater nearly as much as my old HC1500, another benefit I noticed after using the projector for about 25 hours now.
HTPC_Dude's Avatar HTPC_Dude 05:02 PM 05-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post

Didn't find the Electronics Expo on Amazon, but both Projector People and Visual Apex have it for $1099 over Memorial Day weekend, free ship and no tax.

Going to order mine today from PP. This will be my first theater setup. Going with the Elite Sable 110" screen off Amazon for $279, prime shipping.

Looking forward to trying this out. I already had three LED TV's and wanted to try something different.

This thread has been very helpful.

Projector people is a forum sponsor so thats always nice to buy from them if they are competetive, when I bought mine they were $200 more.
liveinxs's Avatar liveinxs 08:08 PM 05-27-2012
I thought I would share my install of my 8350 and Valpex 92 motorized tab setup.

I built a custom enclosure with 4 fans, two pushing fresh air in, and two suck air out.

Also I built a custom enclosure for the screen.

It has a linear actuator which lowers the door and at the same time turns on the 4 fans, this action is actuated by a set of relays, and put into action by Epsons 12v trigger.

Also the screen lowers when the door of the cabinet begins to open.

All this happens with a push of one button on my remote.

And of course all of this is reversed with one push of a button.

I also built a custom coffered ceiling to disguise any hint of a home theater in our family room.

I just have to paint it all to match.

In the center of the ceiling is a location where a Canvas Mural will go, accented by the LED lighting, which will be covered with Cove moulding, allowing just a hint of light that will accent the mural, but even now , does not interfere with the screen.

Here's the link to the video, goes to show with the knowledge and skill, the need to hire these overpriced home theater specialist, just isn't needed.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/3eb0485f.mp4

Let me know what you think.

Eric
newguy12345's Avatar newguy12345 03:00 AM 05-28-2012
i obviously didn't read everyone of these post. lol so many. but this model seems to have lots of issues. do you guys know if they have been corrected?
slennon's Avatar slennon 06:07 AM 05-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slennon View Post


Replacement number three arrived tonight. I think it is brand new. Doesn't matter though. This one is DOA!!!! Tried to fire it up and the temp light flashed red. Manual says faulty fan or faulty sensor. Ie send it back.

I am thinking of asking for a better model. Maybe refurb 8700?? And paying the difference. Anyone have any luck with something like this or any luck with getting money back???

Got replacement number four hooked up about two weeks ago and it worked....until last night! Have the dreaded auto iris error. This is on a new in the box replacement that has 18 hours on it. As my wife says " so these things are basically junk". Going to have to get back on the phone with Epson but just wanted to post my experiences as a cautionary tale for those considering this projector.
liveinxs's Avatar liveinxs 06:26 AM 05-28-2012
Well I don't know what you guys are doing wrong, but I have yet to have any problems with mine, I've had it up and running for nearly two months with zero issues.
HTPC_Dude's Avatar HTPC_Dude 06:46 AM 05-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveinxs View Post

I thought I would share my install of my 8350 and Valpex 92 motorized tab setup.

I built a custom enclosure with 4 fans, two pushing fresh air in, and two suck air out.

Also I built a custom enclosure for the screen.

It has a linear actuator which lowers the door and at the same time turns on the 4 fans, this action is actuated by a set of relays, and put into action by Epsons 12v trigger.

Also the screen lowers when the door of the cabinet begins to open.

All this happens with a push of one button on my remote.

And of course all of this is reversed with one push of a button.

I also built a custom coffered ceiling to disguise any hint of a home theater in our family room.

I just have to paint it all to match.

In the center of the ceiling is a location where a Canvas Mural will go, accented by the LED lighting, which will be covered with Cove moulding, allowing just a hint of light that will accent the mural, but even now , does not interfere with the screen.

Here's the link to the video, goes to show with the knowledge and skill, the need to hire these overpriced home theater specialist, just isn't needed.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/3eb0485f.mp4

Let me know what you think.

Eric

I can see you have put a whole lot of work into your setup. Nice job.


Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy12345 View Post

i obviously didn't read everyone of these post. lol so many. but this model seems to have lots of issues. do you guys know if they have been corrected?

No problems with mine. You need to remember, this is one of the most popular projects being sold today, for every one person that posts they have a problem, there is probably a thousand owners that have seen no problems and are totally oblivious to what you are reading on this forum.
liveinxs's Avatar liveinxs 07:12 AM 05-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC_Dude View Post


No problems with mine. You need to remember, this is one of the most popular projects being sold today, for every one person that posts they have a problem, there is probably a thousand owners that have seen no problems and are totally oblivious to what you are reading on this forum.

you hit the nail on the head. Probably millions of these things sold and to have a handful problems, if they do exist is a great record.

My unit has operated flawlessly since it when I to operation, I have a little over 200 hours and never saw one issue.

I just think some people are nit picky , after all you are only spending 1000.00, what do you want, a 50,000.00 projector.

Nothing wrong with this projector, in fact we are gonna buy a second for our downstairs Family Room.
RamKat's Avatar RamKat 03:59 PM 05-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveinxs View Post

I thought I would share my install of my 8350 and Valpex 92 motorized tab setup.

I guess you meant a Vapex 92 screen
Quote:


I built a custom enclosure with 4 fans, two pushing fresh air in, and two suck air out.

I like the idea. How loud are the fans compared to the fan in the 8350? What fan did you choose?

Quote:


It has a linear actuator which lowers the door and at the same time turns on the 4 fans, this action is actuated by a set of relays, and put into action by Epsons 12v trigger.

I would add a thermal sensor to the fans' control logic to ensure that they will keep moving air when the door is closed.

Cool job!
Tags: Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350
First ... 237  238  239 240  241  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop