The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread
detroit1's Avatar detroit1 10:47 AM 10-21-2010
projector central already went over this; the 8350 will not beat the Panny 4000 or Epson 8500 in blacks but the blacks are very nice after you adjust the projector properly to where it really isn't going to matter that much; also not every scene you watch is going to have all blacks in it; only 10-20 % does ; maybe even less
bottom line is there is no way to justify the cost of the other Epsons or the Panny 4000, which is a great projector when comparing to the 8350.
there is major point of diminishing returns in the projector market just like other products in the audio/video industry; if you adjust the 8350 properly, you are going to get a great picture; to spend an extra 400 on an 8500 or an extra 800 for a panny 4000 does not make sense at this point;
you should read the full projector central review of the 8350; they are a very trusted and knowledgeable source of reviews in the industry

ramosma's Avatar ramosma 11:33 AM 10-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by giacoman View Post

In case anyone is interested, I just got a reply from Epson about the discrete codes for power on/power off. This is what they said:

Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350.

The discrete IR remote codes for power on/power off are:

NEC-Format (Custom Code = 8355h)

90h Power ON
91h Power OFF

If that's the case than this thread should help people determine the discretes for those that can work with hex codes (Pronto, URC, etc.)
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...read.cgi?18117

I will try them and let everyone know if it works.
MississippiMan's Avatar MississippiMan 11:55 AM 10-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

So the general concensus is that the 8500UB is better for black levels than the 8350 but you would need a dedicated theater room to notice?

No, actually the 8500 possess a different Multi'Layered Lens that allows for a level of brightness to be present while maintaining it's dynamic Contrast specifications much closer to what they are/should be. (200K:1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

the 8350 is a much better buy; keep in mind the 8350 uses the same inorganic panels that the 8500 does and it is brighter; better for sports and can be used in bigger variety of settings with great results and it's cheaper !!

In keeping with the above, the lack of the same lens the 8500 has makes the Dynamic CR of the 8350 only 50K:1. Given the same lens, the 8350 would most likely achieve 100K:1 (...purely speculative that....) but it's 400 extra Lumens would limit such gains beyond that, I'm certain.

The real advantage the 8350 has is it's brightness, and ability to perform well in a wider variety of settings. Using a High Contrast Gray surface can help deliver better Black Levels, but care must be taken to choose wisely. It doesn't take much additional "Gray" to make a significant difference in perceived Contrast, but also...it doesn't take very much above a certain level to affect the quality of the Colors and Whites as well.

It's all about balancing everything...Room...Lighting....PJ....Throw Distance....Screen surface. Nail them all and WoWser! Ya got it goin' on!

Make any real degree of compromise on any of the aforementioned and don't whine too loudly about the end result.

In short, the 8500 is the best choice if your Room's lighting and Wall/Ceiling colors are under control. All it needs then is a very light Gray surface to allow for a slight degree of low Ambient Light view-ability. Or if in a dedicated room with non-reflective surrounding surfaces, a good reference white Screen...Mfg or DIY, makes no difference.

Personally I love the 8350 and it's flexibility, and it's contrast is just fine for most normal Mortals.

But that's me....but excepting the "normal" business.
Joco1114's Avatar Joco1114 03:08 PM 10-21-2010
Can anyone tell about 24/48fps? What are the diffs?
bk's Avatar bk 03:32 PM 10-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkriengsiri View Post

Right now HHGregg sells it for $1299 - 20%. If you sign up for their mailing list, there's also a $75 off coupon. I wasn't able to get my local store to honor the coupon (they said a projector isn't a TV... BS), but there are others that have had luck. So it's either $1039 or $965 before tax.

Tell the store manager to look it up on HHGregg's website. It's listed under TV's.
Davinleeds's Avatar Davinleeds 03:37 PM 10-21-2010
Did AVS Science just start selling the 8350? I called and they said no. Too bad.
Lindros88's Avatar Lindros88 06:52 PM 10-21-2010
If I have a matte white screen in a completely light controlled room with dark walls, do you think this projector will exhibit acceptable black level performance?
leaningjowler's Avatar leaningjowler 07:06 PM 10-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindros88 View Post

If I have a matte white screen in a completely light controlled room with dark walls, do you think this projector will exhibit acceptable black level performance?

I think the real question is does it make sense to spend almost 2x as much to get better black levels? If money isn't an object than go with the 8700 or an 8500 or something else. Pretty sure 8350 is the best performer out right now for the price....
lin000's Avatar lin000 08:31 PM 10-21-2010
can any of you guys see the lcd color drift when you are really close to the screen?
Stivie's Avatar Stivie 08:53 PM 10-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin000 View Post

can any of you guys see the lcd color drift when you are really close to the screen?

Yes I can on mine, but you do have to be really close. I sit about 11 feet away and the picture looks very sharp, even text.
allredp's Avatar allredp 11:13 PM 10-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolachak View Post

My local HHGregg store here honored both the coupon and the 20% off both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchingf1 View Post

going to try and add the coupon to my in-store order. went in yesterday and ordered it to the store to save the shipping cost. cant pick up until tomorrow so i'll take the coupon and see if they will add it on.

thanks for posting the info.

Is there a way for a non-local online purchase from HHGregg that can use the coupon?!

I'm in the West...
fitbrit's Avatar fitbrit 12:16 AM 10-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp View Post

Is there a way for a non-local online purchase from HHGregg that can use the coupon?!

I'm in the West...

Would love to know this too, but I'm not holding my breath on it being possible.
mj75's Avatar mj75 07:59 AM 10-22-2010
Has any tried Art's settings? I'm trying to make sense of his rgb and gamma settings to no avail. Thanks.
spaceace414's Avatar spaceace414 08:09 AM 10-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

Would love to know this too, but I'm not holding my breath on it being possible.

I am out west as well...would LOVE to know if someone can buy this and get it shipped!
cholak's Avatar cholak 08:13 AM 10-22-2010
Witch screen gain is better for this projector 1.0 or 1.2?
Do i get better blacks whith 1.0 gain?
Thanks in advance,btw,great forum!
kdog750's Avatar kdog750 08:22 AM 10-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceace414 View Post

I am out west as well...would LOVE to know if someone can buy this and get it shipped!

Im in the south and the closest store is 10 hours away. I tried to have two different locations ship it but they couldn't. They said they can only honor the discount if you pick it up in the store.
ekscden's Avatar ekscden 09:39 AM 10-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholak View Post

Witch screen gain is better for this projector 1.0 or 1.2?
Do i get better blacks whith 1.0 gain?
Thanks in advance,btw,great forum!

In a totally dark room, I'm just shooting onto Blackout Cloth at 133" which I assume would be about 1.0 gain and the blacks are incredibly deep. I'm really surprised at how deep and dark the scenes are even to my critical eyes. Plus it's so bright that I personally don't think it needs any gain even at my size. Even with moderate ambient light, I can't see needing screen gain.
paul9000's Avatar paul9000 09:56 AM 10-22-2010
Been a lurker for a while but this is my first post. sure didn't think it would be for this brand/model. Been a fan of my BenQ DX650 DLP that I have had for about 6 years now. Sadly it has died and needs to be replaced.

So, I have ordered the Epson 8350 from Amazon and overnighted it so it should be here tomorrow. I am looking forward to the picture, just hope it can out do my BenQ DX650 I am still concerned about the color depth going from a DLP to an LCD and really wanted to hold out for the BenQ W6000 but with the reviews and the price difference I just couldn't justify the bigger expense.

Hope to have it installed by Sunday though I better get a good ceiling mount for this as it is a bit heavier than my DX650. I know there were a few posts on mounts and I will try to go back through and see if I can find them again but if anyone wants to throw me a hint it would be most welcome. My last mount I used for the 650 I had to rig with extra wire and a couple of coasters off one side of the projector to keep it level.
jkrepner's Avatar jkrepner 10:04 AM 10-22-2010
Hi All,

Please help me -- I'm racking my brain trying to figure out if this feature is present on the 8350 and if it's not, is that feature worth the extra cost to move up to the 8700 or Panny 4000? For the money, it certainly looks hard to beat the 8350.

My understanding from reading the projector central and projector review sites, that in a nutshell creative frame interpolation will take a 24 fps source and make it 48 fps or 96 fps (same with 60 fps to 120fps). My new LG tv has "smooth motion" which I suspect does the same thing and I normally bypass it. Is that what creative frame interpolation means?

Sorry for the dumb question and my searches haven't yielded the info I'm looking for, though it could be a case of wrong search criteria.

Also, if shooting onto a 2.35:1 screen, how difficult is it to reach up and adjust the zoom/focus/shift controls to adjust for 16:9 content? The Panny 4000 does this electronically, but I'm starting to think I can save $700 and just adjust manually.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff
kdog750's Avatar kdog750 10:16 AM 10-22-2010
Do projectors follow the same discount path as HD TV's towards Christmas? Can we expect some discount near black friday or is that probably not going to happen?
j-bo's Avatar j-bo 11:10 AM 10-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

Do projectors follow the same discount path as HD TV's towards Christmas? Can we expect some discount near black friday or is that probably not going to happen?

Probably not going to happen.
microphage1's Avatar microphage1 11:28 AM 10-22-2010
Pulled the trigger as well from Projector people...which were great to work with. now the wait begins...
buddahead's Avatar buddahead 11:39 AM 10-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj75 View Post

Has any tried Art's settings? I'm trying to make sense of his rgb and gamma settings to no avail. Thanks.

Yes his settings work well on my Carada bw screen.He uses one to.His settings are pretty close to defalut on most.Be sure to rasie the gamma to 2.4.These settings are in the advanced menu on the main menu page.
buddahead's Avatar buddahead 11:41 AM 10-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholak View Post

Witch screen gain is better for this projector 1.0 or 1.2?
Do i get better blacks whith 1.0 gain?
Thanks in advance,btw,great forum!

I doublt you would see the difference.I use a 1.4 and it works great.You can adjust your fp to what type of screen you have 'so it really makes no differnece.
buddahead's Avatar buddahead 11:45 AM 10-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrepner View Post

Hi All,

Please help me -- I'm racking my brain trying to figure out if this feature is present on the 8350 and if it's not, is that feature worth the extra cost to move up to the 8700 or Panny 4000? For the money, it certainly looks hard to beat the 8350.

My understanding from reading the projector central and projector review sites, that in a nutshell creative frame interpolation will take a 24 fps source and make it 48 fps or 96 fps (same with 60 fps to 120fps). My new LG tv has "smooth motion" which I suspect does the same thing and I normally bypass it. Is that what creative frame interpolation means?

Sorry for the dumb question and my searches haven't yielded the info I'm looking for, though it could be a case of wrong search criteria.

Also, if shooting onto a 2.35:1 screen, how difficult is it to reach up and adjust the zoom/focus/shift controls to adjust for 16:9 content? The Panny 4000 does this electronically, but I'm starting to think I can save $700 and just adjust manually.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Adjusting the 8350 for 2.35 and 1.78 is quite easy and quick just using the manual lens shift controls'Takes just a few minutes.The ae4000 for mw would not be worth the money over the 8350.If I was going to spend $2k I would get the 8700 which has better blacks over the ae4000 and 8350.Or a littel more the JVC 250 if movies were my main viewing
cholak's Avatar cholak 12:54 PM 10-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

I doublt you would see the difference.I use a 1.4 and it works great.You can adjust your fp to what type of screen you have 'so it really makes no differnece.

Yes,but higher gain lower's black(it makes it dark gray).Or i am wrong on this one?
ratfnk5's Avatar ratfnk5 01:10 PM 10-22-2010
I have a few questions.

Any one familiar with the screens that come with the package from the projector people (Elite)
I was looking at getting the Da-lite Model B before I found this package.
If i go with the Model B. should i get the High Contast Matte white or the regular Matte white?

thanks!
jkrepner's Avatar jkrepner 01:49 PM 10-22-2010
Thanks Buddahead. It seems like the ae4000 and 8350 are neck and neck in terms of picture quality so it comes down to spending more for the auto zoom features when you you boil it all down. Now, the JVC looks interesting. I'll pop over to that thread to learn more.

Also, care to comment on the frame interpolation?

Thanks again!
Jeff
mj75's Avatar mj75 01:56 PM 10-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post


Yes his settings work well on my Carada bw screen.He uses one to.His settings are pretty close to defalut on most.Be sure to rasie the gamma to 2.4.These settings are in the advanced menu on the main menu page.

Thank you. I ordered mine at VA with the 106" screen. Carada bw has a 1.4 gain vs. 1.1 with the visualapex screen. But I'll try the settings anyways to see.
squeeks's Avatar squeeks 02:26 PM 10-22-2010
Thinking about getting an 8350. I just took my first step into projectors with an optoma HD700x but I am not really thrilled witht he picture quality / brightness.

Will I notice a big difference between the hd700x and the 8350 as far as those two catagories go?
Tags: Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop