The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 290 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #8671 of 8930 Old 05-28-2014, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking for some feedback on an issue I'm having since I installed a new lamp. Photos are attached. Epson is convinced the projector is at fault and they're sending me an in-warranty replacement, but I'd still like to figure out what the deal is, because I'm curious like that. Here goes:

My old lamp died. I bought an original Epson lamp from B&H to replace it. I installed the replacement lamp, which is something I've done before with no problem. During installation, I changed nothing about the projector itself, or the software settings. When I fire up the new lamp, the image has a horizontal line through the middle, something I'd describe as a "fold" or a "bevel." There's also a faint horizontal line near the top, which you can see in the 25 percent gray image. The image above the line seems to be a little more saturated. The image below the line is less saturated, and also maybe kinda grainy?

I'm 99 percent certain it's the same issue as these people had: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1358521/epson-8350-bulb-replacement-and-now-picture-problem

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone here knows what's going on. I'm a little worried about Epson sending a replacement, because I've read these boards a lot, and it seems like replacements are usually refurbished, and it's a crapshoot whether you'll get one with good convergence, etc.

If a lamp is just a light source, then I don't see how the lamp could be at fault here, but it's also the only thing I changed about the projector so I can't imagine what else it could be.

Thanks for your time. I'm really grateful for these boards and the helpful people on them.

Also, just fyi, the second image is from The City Limits on Vimeo, which I find to be a short and sweet demo video when I'm showing off the PJ: https://vimeo.com/23237102

EDIT: Found another thread about it: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1186545/epson-1080-ub-horizontal-split-image-problem

EDIT: Pay no attention to the discoloration in the gray image; that's a separate issue I detailed here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8672 of 8930 Old 05-28-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehakas View Post

I'm looking for some feedback on an issue I'm having since I installed a new lamp. Photos are attached. Epson is convinced the projector is at fault and they're sending me an in-warranty replacement, but I'd still like to figure out what the deal is, because I'm curious like that. Here goes:

My old lamp died. I bought an original Epson lamp from B&H to replace it. I installed the replacement lamp, which is something I've done before with no problem. During installation, I changed nothing about the projector itself, or the software settings. When I fire up the new lamp, the image has a horizontal line through the middle, something I'd describe as a "fold" or a "bevel." There's also a faint horizontal line near the top, which you can see in the 25 percent gray image. The image above the line seems to be a little more saturated. The image below the line is less saturated, and also maybe kinda grainy?

I'm 99 percent certain it's the same issue as these people had: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1358521/epson-8350-bulb-replacement-and-now-picture-problem

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone here knows what's going on. I'm a little worried about Epson sending a replacement, because I've read these boards a lot, and it seems like replacements are usually refurbished, and it's a crapshoot whether you'll get one with good convergence, etc.

If a lamp is just a light source, then I don't see how the lamp could be at fault here, but it's also the only thing I changed about the projector so I can't imagine what else it could be.

Thanks for your time. I'm really grateful for these boards and the helpful people on them.

Also, just fyi, the second image is from The City Limits on Vimeo, which I find to be a short and sweet demo video when I'm showing off the PJ: https://vimeo.com/23237102

EDIT: Pay no attention to the discoloration in the gray image; that's a separate issue I detailed here.

It appears to be a malfunction in the digital processing circuit. It seems too exact to be an optical-light-engine problem. Maybe circuit is being damaged when bulb blows or it's just a common failure. There might be two video sub-processors that each work half the screen. Normally, they get stitched together pixel perfect (but not now).

I think Epson Level-2 Techs would have to get involved and maybe capture a bad unit. However, they might already know about it. that's why they are sending a new unit because it's a non-bulb-issue. Also, on this bad unit, be sure to try a different 1080p source, with new HDMI cable, into other HDMI-2 Input.

If you had two 8350's (one working perfectly) ... you might be able to swap bulbs and see where the problem follows.

I would be very interested to see what happens on this (here, or in the other thread).

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #8673 of 8930 Old 05-28-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Also, one this bad unit, be sure to try a different 1080p source, with new HDMI cable, into other HDMI-2 Input.

Yeah, I got the same results on a different HDMI port, different cable, different source (iPad vs. PS3). So I suppose it could be a problem with both HDMI inputs.

If I learn anything from Epson, I'll share it here.
post #8674 of 8930 Old 05-28-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehakas View Post

Yeah, I got the same results on a different HDMI port, different cable, different source (iPad vs. PS3). So I suppose it could be a problem with both HDMI inputs.

Good thinking to try it already. Sorry, but had to ask (never know people's skill level here).

Right, or past all HDMI inputs ... in main video processing circuit.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #8675 of 8930 Old 05-28-2014, 01:26 PM

Just for kicks, I played with the projection settings (Front, Front/Ceiling, Rear, Rear/Ceiling) but the effect never got flipped or inverted, so it's independent of that.
post #8676 of 8930 Old 05-28-2014, 04:36 PM

Can anyone offer insight on whether a lamp could cause a defined horizontal line on the image? Or is the lamp just a light source?
post #8677 of 8930 Old 05-30-2014, 12:52 AM

Liked: 10
I had this exact issue with a new lamp, the image is slightly dark in the top 50% of the screen creating a horizontal line in the middle of the screen.

Theres a thread about it here :
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1186545/epson-1080-ub-horizontal-split-image-problem

After about 50 hours use in Normal mode the line appears to have gone......i hope
post #8678 of 8930 Old 06-03-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm about to order an OEM Epson lamp from Provantage, from a link in a previous post.
At checkout I noticed that the description states the following:

EPSON Replacement Projector Lamp Unit Home 6100 6500 7100

There's no mention of the 8350. I called Epson and they told me that the part # is ELPLP49. Provantage couldn't reference that.

Could someone shed some light into this matter?

Link from a previous post:

http://www.provantage.com/epson-v13h010l49~BDYM905T.htm
post #8679 of 8930 Old 06-04-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by faxmonkey View Post

I'm about to order an OEM Epson lamp from Provantage, from a link in a previous post.

There's no mention of the 8350. I called Epson and they told me that the part # is ELPLP49. Provantage couldn't reference that.

If you click the Specifications tab you will see the reference to ELPLP49. Epson has been using this same lamp in many of their projectors going back to 2008 as evidenced by all the different models.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductQuickSpec.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63079290&category=Products

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #8680 of 8930 Old 06-04-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

If you click the Specifications tab you will see the reference to ELPLP49. Epson has been using this same lamp in many of their projectors going back to 2008 as evidenced by all the different models.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductQuickSpec.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63079290&category=Products

Thank you!
post #8681 of 8930 Old 06-10-2014, 08:26 AM

Hi everyone! Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience with this projector. I've been using it for about a 1.5 yrs with very few complaints. Great projector for the $.

With that said, there is one issue I've kind of dealt with since day 1, and am curious if others have the same experience. When viewing bluray through PS3, the image quality is excellent with great shadow detail and contrast. My problem is when viewing content from my cable box (U-Verse). Aside from the obvious resolution/artifacts you'd expect from cable, shadow detail takes a huge hit. Almost to the point where I feel like I miss parts of dark scenes. For example, on this week's Game of Thrones episode - much of the fighting occurred in a very dark setting and I could barely follow what was going on. It was watchable, but just barely. If I try to increase the brightness, it just makes the same picture, only more gray instead of black.

Has anyone experienced this? Any tips on improving picture quality from a cable box as the source?

Thank you all again!
post #8682 of 8930 Old 06-15-2014, 12:30 PM

Hello. I recently purchased the 8350 to replace a BenQ W1000. I haven't watched much yet, but overall happy with the upgrade.

Does the 8350 have user-upgradable firmware? I've done some searching and have yet to find any mention of firmware.

Thanks in advance, John
post #8683 of 8930 Old 06-16-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post
Hello. I recently purchased the 8350 to replace a BenQ W1000. I haven't watched much yet, but overall happy with the upgrade.

Does the 8350 have user-upgradable firmware? I've done some searching and have yet to find any mention of firmware.

Thanks in advance, John
Nope.

post #8684 of 8930 Old 06-16-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post

Thanks in advance, John
Nope.
Thank you for confirming.
post #8685 of 8930 Old 06-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
anyone hear a clumping noise on and off from the 8350

Analog :Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier, Amps: NOS Valves VRD mono blocks - VPI Classic 2 Soundsmith Zephyr MK/II VPI 16.5
Digital :Auralic Vega , Auralic Aries
Speakers :Selah Audio Tempesta's
post #8686 of 8930 Old 06-17-2014, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The new look... NOOOOOOOO!

Home Theater Subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/ AV Recommendations Subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/zeos
post #8687 of 8930 Old 06-18-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post
anyone hear a clumping noise on and off from the 8350
Try turning off the auto iris to see if the sound goes away.

post #8688 of 8930 Old 06-18-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norymeoreason41 View Post
Hi everyone! Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience with this projector. I've been using it for about a 1.5 yrs with very few complaints. Great projector for the $.

With that said, there is one issue I've kind of dealt with since day 1, and am curious if others have the same experience. When viewing bluray through PS3, the image quality is excellent with great shadow detail and contrast. My problem is when viewing content from my cable box (U-Verse). Aside from the obvious resolution/artifacts you'd expect from cable, shadow detail takes a huge hit. Almost to the point where I feel like I miss parts of dark scenes. For example, on this week's Game of Thrones episode - much of the fighting occurred in a very dark setting and I could barely follow what was going on. It was watchable, but just barely. If I try to increase the brightness, it just makes the same picture, only more gray instead of black.

Has anyone experienced this? Any tips on improving picture quality from a cable box as the source?

Thank you all again!
Bumping to see if anyone has experienced this before. With this projector or any other. . .
post #8689 of 8930 Old 06-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Try turning off the auto iris to see if the sound goes away.

I did that last night and it stopped , but do I want this option off

Analog :Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier, Amps: NOS Valves VRD mono blocks - VPI Classic 2 Soundsmith Zephyr MK/II VPI 16.5
post #8690 of 8930 Old 06-19-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just curious, I'm getting close to end of life for my bulb and am looking to order the replacement in advance of the "blow out", which we all know would happen in the middle of movie night or worse yet, Buckeye football

I'm seeing some substantial price variations. Is there any reason to NOT buy these? Rakuten I believe is formerly buy.com which I used to frequent!

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/epson-po...FQIT7AoddFcAkQ
http://www.projectorlampsworld.com/e...FUcV7AodzXsAGg
https://www.interlight.biz/light-bul...FQIT7AoddFcAkQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by faxmonkey View Post

post #8691 of 8930 Old 06-19-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did that last night and it stopped, but do I want this option off
Some people with the auto iris set to off say that they hardly notice a difference in picture quality.

Your other option is to send the 8350 in for repair, which means getting a refurb from Epson.

post #8692 of 8930 Old 06-19-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norymeoreason41 View Post

Thank you all again!
I think you've proven the projector is fine, but you leave out pertinent details on your setup. Do you run all of your HDMI connected devices through a receiver? Are you running more than one HDMI cable to the projector?

It's also possible that the cable box is defective. Try exchanging it for another and possibly an improved model.

post #8693 of 8930 Old 06-19-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Just curious, I'm getting close to end of life for my bulb and am looking to order the replacement in advance of the "blow out", which we all know would happen in the middle of movie night or worse yet, Buckeye football

I'm seeing some substantial price variations. Is there any reason to NOT buy these? Rakuten I believe is formerly buy.com which I used to frequent!

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/epson-po...FQIT7AoddFcAkQ
http://www.projectorlampsworld.com/e...FUcV7AodzXsAGg
https://www.interlight.biz/light-bul...FQIT7AoddFcAkQ
They are all clones or generic replacement lamps with no mention of the type of bulb used. That's why they are inexpensive.

The choice is yours. Buy the more expensive OEM lamp or roll the dice with one of these.

post #8694 of 8930 Old 06-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Some people with the auto iris set to off say that they hardly notice a difference in picture quality.

Your other option is to send the 8350 in for repair, which means getting a refurb from Epson.

are you saying the 8350 should be noise free at ft ?

post #8695 of 8930 Old 06-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Given there's been a number of years behind these lamps and the 8350, are there not any report outs of using these lamps? By now I'd think that we'd have some reviews!

Quote:
They are all clones or generic replacement lamps with no mention of the type of bulb used. That's why they are inexpensive.

The choice is yours. Buy the more expensive OEM lamp or roll the dice with one of these.
post #8696 of 8930 Old 06-20-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Given there's been a number of years behind these lamps and the 8350, are there not any report outs of using these lamps? By now I'd think that we'd have some reviews!
Here's the problem, there are many many vendors that sell clone lamps. So there is virtually no track record on any one seller.

And the reviews on the inexpensive lamps are usually negative. Occasionally you'll see a review in this thread from someone who is satisfied with their clone lamp purchase but they are the exception. If you are intent on buying a clone lamp at least make sure the bulb inside is Osram or Philips which is what is generally used in OEM lamps. However I doubt very much you find a clone lamp with an Osram or Philips bulb for under $100.

post #8697 of 8930 Old 06-20-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
are you saying the 8350 should be noise free at ft ?
I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.

post #8698 of 8930 Old 06-20-2014, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.
noise free at 5ft away sorry

post #8699 of 8930 Old 06-20-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Just trying to understand, that's all. I haven't seen many reviews so I need to dig in to see what the trend is. Longevity? Color correctness? Uniformity?, ... I'm always curious when things range 3-4X in price!!!!!

Quote:
Here's the problem, there are many many vendors that sell clone lamps. So there is virtually no track record on any one seller.

And the reviews on the inexpensive lamps are usually negative. Occasionally you'll see a review in this thread from someone who is satisfied with their clone lamp purchase but they are the exception. If you are intent on buying a clone lamp at least make sure the bulb inside is Osram or Philips which is what is generally used in OEM lamps. However I doubt very much you find a clone lamp with an Osram or Philips bulb for under $100.
post #8700 of 8930 Old 06-20-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
noise free at 5ft away sorry
Projector reviews for the 8350 list the dB noise levels as 28 dB in standard mode and 22 dB in eco mode. So no, it's not totally silent.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page