The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 291 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8701 of 8726 Old 06-20-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Just trying to understand, that's all. I haven't seen many reviews so I need to dig in to see what the trend is. Longevity? Color correctness? Uniformity?, ... I'm always curious when things range 3-4X in price!!!!!
The number one complaint is brightness, number two is longevity.

I should add for your information, from elsewhere on the internet:

Who Makes Projector Lamps?

High quality projector lamps that meet industry standards are only made by a few projector lamp manufacturers in the world. Manufacturing projector lamps is an incredibly expensive and challenging technological process that only a few companies are able to meet.

The major manufacturers in the projector lamp industry are -

Philips - The pioneer of the projector lamp world. In 1995 they began researching and developing the first metal halide lamps. They eventually developed a mercury vapor projector lamp, which they called a UHP lamp or ultra-high pressure mercury vapor. The new development made it possible for projection systems to emit a brightness never before seen, and made digital projectors possible. Philips remains a dominant force in the projector lamp industry, and some estimates indicate Philips has more than 70% control over the projector lamp manufacturing and sales market today worldwide.

Ushio - Founded in Japan, but now with offices around the world, Ushio manufactures hundreds of different industrial lights, lamps and bulbs. The company started in1964 as an industrial light manufacturer. Ushio manufactures projector lamps for Sony, Sanyo, BenQ, and many other companies. Estimates indicate they have a 10% share in the projector lamp market.

Osram - Osram started in Germany. The company specializes in producing the ARC tube in mercury vapor lamps and metal halide lamps. Osram claims to be the second largest lighting manufacturer in the world, with about a 7% market share.

The Others - There’s a handful of projector lamp manufacturers in Taiwan, Japan, and China. The most notable is Matsushita, which is a subsidiary of Epson and manufacturers all of Epson's lamps. Most smaller manufacturers of projector lamps don’t produce high quality lamps and aren’t commonly found in new projectors.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies


Last edited by Mr.G; 06-20-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Mr.G is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8702 of 8726 Old 06-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
rakstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: dallas
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
BTW, my Dad did 40+ years for GE Lamp Division, Nela Park, Cleveland Ohio He made the machines that made the lamps!

THANKS for the info, and that's NOT sarcastic!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
The number one complaint is brightness, number two is longevity.

I should add for your information, from elsewhere on the internet:

Who Makes Projector Lamps?

High quality projector lamps that meet industry standards are only made by a few projector lamp manufacturers in the world. Manufacturing projector lamps is an incredibly expensive and challenging technological process that only a few companies are able to meet.

The major manufacturers in the projector lamp industry are -

Philips - The pioneer of the projector lamp world. In 1995 they began researching and developing the first metal halide lamps. They eventually developed a mercury vapor projector lamp, which they called a UHP lamp or ultra-high pressure mercury vapor. The new development made it possible for projection systems to emit a brightness never before seen, and made digital projectors possible. Philips remains a dominant force in the projector lamp industry, and some estimates indicate Philips has more than 70% control over the projector lamp manufacturing and sales market today worldwide.

Ushio - Founded in Japan, but now with offices around the world, Ushio manufactures hundreds of different industrial lights, lamps and bulbs. The company started in1964 as an industrial light manufacturer. Ushio manufactures projector lamps for Sony, Sanyo, BenQ, and many other companies. Estimates indicate they have a 10% share in the projector lamp market.

Osram - Osram started in Germany. The company specializes in producing the ARC tube in mercury vapor lamps and metal halide lamps. Osram claims to be the second largest lighting manufacturer in the world, with about a 7% market share.

The Others - There’s a handful of projector lamp manufacturers in Taiwan, Japan, and China. The most notable is Matsushita, which is a subsidiary of Epson and manufacturers all of Epson's lamps. Most smaller manufacturers of projector lamps don’t produce high quality lamps and aren’t commonly found in new projectors.
rakstr is offline  
post #8703 of 8726 Old 06-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Member
 
mach250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Where have people been getting replacement lamps lately with good results? I ordered one of the off brands of amazon a while back and it's been flickering quite a bit lately so I know it's close to the end now...

Edit, went and looked and I ordered this one last June 11th http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mach250 is offline  
post #8704 of 8726 Old 06-21-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach250 View Post
Where have people been getting replacement lamps lately with good results? I ordered one of the off brands of amazon a while back and it's been flickering quite a bit lately so I know it's close to the end now...

Edit, went and looked and I ordered this one last June 11th http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If you are talking about an OEM lamp, then Provantage. A company I (and others) have dealt with and highly recommend.

http://www.provantage.com/epson-v13h010l49~BDYM905T.htm

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #8705 of 8726 Old 06-21-2014, 08:28 AM
Newbie
 
aijuswannasing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
first replacement coming

So after a year and a half of projection bliss, my 8350 bit the dust the other night, unexpectedly. The day before it made a rapid "clicking" noise during startup, twice, and then yesterday I attempted to record the sound on my phone but I instead was greeted by a halting "grind", two blinking lights, and a very loud fan noise. I believe it's the auto-iris. Its funny because I don't remember having it on, but oh well.

Epson was very prompt on the phone, I swear it was a five minute call and I have a refurbished replacement heading my way. I have my fingers crossed that this one will be as near perfect as my first - I had a slight convergence issue but other than that, it was perfect.

I was wondering, and it's probably been asked - would they make a fuss if I pop out the old lamp and keep it as a spare before sending back the defunct unit? As I'm sure its an auto iris problem, I'm sure the old lamp should still be fine.

Also, now I've only got 6 months left in the the 2 year warranty - should anything like this happen again afterwards, has anyone had success getting extended support via their credit card coverage?
aijuswannasing is offline  
post #8706 of 8726 Old 06-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Newbie
 
pkriengsiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OEM bulb on my 8350 died today after only about 10 months and 1050 hours (it's used as my main TV). The original bulb that came with it lasted around 2400 hours and over 2 years. Really feel let down by this, seems more like the performance I should expect out of a cheap knock off not an expensive OEM.

Has anyone been able to successfully get Epson to replace a lamp like this outside of the 90 day warranty period? I'm curious if it's worth my time to call support and plead my case on the short life span, or if they're just going to tell me to go pound sand.

I've also been thinking about getting a replacement projector anyway, a refurb 5020 from VA. Do those bulbs tend to be a little more robust? Browsing through this thread, people seem to have a lot of Epson bulbs blowing early. Most everyone seemed to have good luck getting them replaced, however those projectors were still under warranty themselves. My 8350 is about 4 years old now.
pkriengsiri is offline  
post #8707 of 8726 Old 06-22-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 4,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkriengsiri View Post
OEM bulb on my 8350 died today after only about 10 months and 1050 hours (it's used as my main TV). The original bulb that came with it lasted around 2400 hours and over 2 years. Really feel let down by this, seems more like the performance I should expect out of a cheap knock off not an expensive OEM.

Has anyone been able to successfully get Epson to replace a lamp like this outside of the 90 day warranty period? I'm curious if it's worth my time to call support and plead my case on the short life span, or if they're just going to tell me to go pound sand.

I've also been thinking about getting a replacement projector anyway, a refurb 5020 from VA. Do those bulbs tend to be a little more robust? Browsing through this thread, people seem to have a lot of Epson bulbs blowing early. Most everyone seemed to have good luck getting them replaced, however those projectors were still under warranty themselves. My 8350 is about 4 years old now.
bulbs are always a crapshoot. they can last 2000 hours, 1000 hours or 5,000 hours and that's off of the same "batch"
wormraper is online now  
post #8708 of 8726 Old 06-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
rakstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: dallas
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This is precisely why I'm considering the "after market" bulbs at one quarter the price! There are only so many places that actually make the lamp although I'll admit I haven't research that recently. I do know I've replaced more of my "10 year" CFLs in the past 3 years than I EVER remember replacing my incandescent bulbs (yes I know this has nothing directly to do with the conversation!!!!!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
bulbs are always a crapshoot. they can last 2000 hours, 1000 hours or 5,000 hours and that's off of the same "batch"
rakstr is offline  
post #8709 of 8726 Old 06-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Senior Member
 
gazzagazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wellington, NZ
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post
are you saying the 8350 should be noise free at ft ?
In my experience the auto-iris makes a sort of low level rattling sound when it is working. I sit only about 3 feet below the projector, and with a movie running I hardly notice it.

I've seen the light... and its "White 255"!! (or is it 235?)
gazzagazza is offline  
post #8710 of 8726 Old 06-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
dthibode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I searched around and couldn't find anything. Does the Epson 8350 have a service manual? I want to fix my projector but didn't want to proceed until I read up a little. Thanks!
dthibode is offline  
post #8711 of 8726 Old 06-25-2014, 11:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Deep color mode ps4

Been having a strange issue while using my ps4 with the epson 8350.
At first I thought it was my ps4 so I sent it in to be warrantied, got a new one back and it's doing the same thing so I'm afraid it's the projector.

Has anyone else had an issue where the screen goes black for a second and comes back with multicolored snow? It's the strangest effect, looks just like old tv no signal snow but with color in the mix, sometimes it will appear as a small box multicolored square, It only does this with the ps4 While my ps4 was shipped off I had my computer connected for two weeks straight and never had the issue reoccur.

I may have it tracked down to a deep color option in the ps4, so far with it off I have not had a problem but haven't had a chance to test it extensively.

Any opinions on what might be going on?


EDIT: just wanted to add that the issue is intermittent for about 5-15 seconds then picture comes back fine.

Last edited by Defiantfrogs; 06-26-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Defiantfrogs is offline  
post #8712 of 8726 Old 06-29-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiantfrogs View Post
Been having a strange issue while using my ps4 with the epson 8350.
At first I thought it was my ps4 so I sent it in to be warrantied, got a new one back and it's doing the same thing so I'm afraid it's the projector.

Has anyone else had an issue where the screen goes black for a second and comes back with multicolored snow? It's the strangest effect, looks just like old tv no signal snow but with color in the mix, sometimes it will appear as a small box multicolored square, It only does this with the ps4 While my ps4 was shipped off I had my computer connected for two weeks straight and never had the issue reoccur.

I may have it tracked down to a deep color option in the ps4, so far with it off I have not had a problem but haven't had a chance to test it extensively.

Any opinions on what might be going on?


EDIT: just wanted to add that the issue is intermittent for about 5-15 seconds then picture comes back fine.
It's most likely your HDMI cable. With Deep Color turned off you have decreased the amount of data that has to be transmitted. Nothing really uses Deep Color at this time so having it off is not harming anything. Another test is to turn Deep Color back on but decrease resolution from 1080p to 720p. If it works this way (with less data being transmitted) it's again telling you that the HDMI is operating right at the edge. Replace the cable if it becomes an issue again.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #8713 of 8726 Old 06-29-2014, 01:07 PM
Newbie
 
BlueSpecV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiantfrogs View Post
Been having a strange issue while using my ps4 with the epson 8350.
At first I thought it was my ps4 so I sent it in to be warrantied, got a new one back and it's doing the same thing so I'm afraid it's the projector.

Has anyone else had an issue where the screen goes black for a second and comes back with multicolored snow? It's the strangest effect, looks just like old tv no signal snow but with color in the mix, sometimes it will appear as a small box multicolored square, It only does this with the ps4 While my ps4 was shipped off I had my computer connected for two weeks straight and never had the issue reoccur.

I may have it tracked down to a deep color option in the ps4, so far with it off I have not had a problem but haven't had a chance to test it extensively.

Any opinions on what might be going on?


EDIT: just wanted to add that the issue is intermittent for about 5-15 seconds then picture comes back fine.

I get the same issue, but only when playing BF4 and only when I have to be a class (assault, engineer, etc). It sucks because you can't change your class, spawn on a teammate, etc.

I'll try changing out the HDMI cable that goes to my projector, as well as switching the deep color OFF to see if it helps.
BlueSpecV is offline  
post #8714 of 8726 Old 07-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
dthibode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xccxxx View Post
So after developing the dreaded Green Dust Blob problem on my EH-TW 3200, I decided to open it up to try and clean it myself. I believe the Epson 8350 is the same projector (just the U.S version of the 3200), so this should work for that also. I managed to get rid of all the dust with this method, so thought I would post this up for others if they want to try it also. It was actually really easy, and I'm happy to have avoided the hassle of having to go the replaced/exchanged route with Epson. All you need is a can of compressed air, a phillips head screwdriver and 20 or so minutes. Obviously, do this at your own risk, I'm not responsible if your projector blows up etc...
I just had the exact same issue and this fixed it. Thanks for taking the time to post this solution!
dthibode is offline  
post #8715 of 8726 Old 07-11-2014, 02:42 PM
JP
AVS Special Member
 
JP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My EPSON 8350 is connected to a HTPC via HDMI and VIDEO is connected to my audio receiver so that I can see the on-screen display and ensure the DD and DTS Bitstreams are coming through the way I hope (my equipment resides in a separate room from the Home Theater).


My problem is that when my wife starts up the home theater the Epson 8350 sees the VIDEO signal first and automatically displays the on-screen display for the audio receiver and it confuses her. I want it to default to HDMI always. Does anyone know if there is a way of doing this?
JP is offline  
post #8716 of 8726 Old 07-13-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: AL
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My Logitech remote has a startup button which I've programmed powering on the PJ and selecting HDMI-1 as well as powering up the AVR and selecting Video-3
Andrew Hornfeck is offline  
post #8717 of 8726 Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: AL
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
** BULB DIMMED then DIED **

I bought my 8350 in Oct 2011, had the auto-iris issue and they sent a refurb unit in July 2012 (supposedly including a new bulb). Well, the image quality in the last few weeks had become horrid - it was NOTICABLY dim and washed out. YES, I'd 'upgraded' from Cinema to Living Room mode months back as Cinema was giving fits where the lumens would be all jumpy (and folks on here said to switch out of ECON mode to correct it). Every time I went back to Cinema mode (to conserve bulb life) it would eventually become jumpy again...

So, I opened a ticket w/Epson Tech Support on Saturday as the illumination seemed to not be up to Epson's 2000 Lumen standard -- and this with fewer than 1,800 hours on their advertised 4,000 hour bulb! They had to await a CS override to do anything and asked me to call back today. Yesterday it wouldn't even light... Power on, one blue light, another (rectangular) blue light flashing for minutes followed by Red light (LED) flashing indicating REPLACE BULB according to the manual. Arghhhh....

Today they are doing me a 1-time courtesy and sending a FREE replacement bulb! I am very pleased! I did ask whether they should be updating their literature given total bulb failure with less than half of the advertised lamp service (hours) -- especially given that the majority of those hours were in Cinema mode, I power my Epson with an APC SmartUPS, true sine-wave AC power, and have it ceiling mounted in a cool, well-ventilated basement theatre room. Point being, the unit has had a very gentle environment yet the bulb has (now) failed (what I'd call) prematurely!

This is not my first PJ, I'd had a Sony VPL10HT in 2002, Sony VPL-AW15 after that, and now the Epson 8350 with its BRIGHT 2,000 lumens and full 1080p LCD image quality! I know how to maintain a PJ.

At this point I'm a very pleased customer -- I hope the bulb arrives quickly (stated FedEx Ground in 5-7 days) and restores the jubilance I've had for this product! Several of my friends have followed suite (after seeing mine) and purchased Epson PJs for their homes!

How many hours are YOU achieving? How's the image quality as it ages? This is the first I've had to stop working... usually they simply dim out at around 2,400 hours - but those were Sonys.

UPDATE: Received the lamp 07/16/14, installed, rehung (ceiling mount), and did a quick focus/centering on the screen -- ALL IS WELL! Specifically, the old lamp died with 1,759 hours of the 4,000 Epson proudly specifies in all their advertising literature. I'm glad they stood behind their product! THANKS Epson :-)

Last edited by Andrew Hornfeck; 07-18-2014 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Update
Andrew Hornfeck is offline  
post #8718 of 8726 Old 07-17-2014, 10:32 AM
JP
AVS Special Member
 
JP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post
My Logitech remote has a startup button which I've programmed powering on the PJ and selecting HDMI-1 as well as powering up the AVR and selecting Video-3
Yea, I've sort of stayed away from that because my wife or kids will hit the button once and then expect everything to be turned on immediately. If they move the remote while the macro completes and line of sight is broken then it becomes a problem. I also don't know if the 8350 will accept an input switch almost immediately after it has powered on. I think you might have to even wait like 30 seconds for the splash screen to pass. Again, unless its just you using it I think there is room for error. If there was a way to set a default input in the menu on the projector it would sort of solve this.
JP is offline  
post #8719 of 8726 Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Newbie
 
Eric McEntee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks - this is an awesome thread - lots of reading... I am about half way through, but having a hard time trying to decide what to do here.

About 10 days ago BestBuy had the 8350 for $899 - so I grabbed one in store pickup as soon as I could. I am replacing a 10 year old Sanyo Z2 and wanted to see how much room I should have around it to cool it for a shelf mount - and frankly have scared myself off with all the posts about premature bulb failures. A good chunk of these posts seem like 8350's bought a year or more ago - so I have to wonder if anything has changed.

I can't really tell if there is a vocal minority with bulb failures, or if its widespread - and no one is getting 3,000+ hours out of a bulb. Great price on the pj - but if I have to buy a bulb every year - have to second guess this. My Sanyo is still on the original bulb (an anomaly for sure) - but I was just hoping an upgrade to 1080p wouldn't be so expensive to maintain. Debating if I should throw another bulb in my Z2 and save a bit more for a 5030UB or a Panny.

Thoughts? How long are your bulbs really lasting? It's killing me to have this thing sit here while I read all these posts!

Thanks for your patience with my post...
Eric McEntee is offline  
post #8720 of 8726 Old 07-23-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: AL
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
SET UP your 8350 and enjoy the 1080p, its bright 2,000 lumen picture and how quiet it is! I'm at a loss when you say you're on your original Z2 bulb after ten (10) years... assuming you're comparing THAT history against an 8350 owner having a bulb die prematurely at 1,000 or 2,000 hours in a year (depending on usage) and that your concern is the cost to replace a bulb every year, you'd have between 10,000-20,000 hours on your Z2, right? On the other hand, if you have fewer than 2,500 hours on your Z2 this would average 250 hours for each year of ten. At that rate you will NOT be buying a new bulb even for the Epson 8350 every year as you fear.

Please explain how I'm wrong with my numbers... how many hours are on your original Z2 bulb, and if it's more than a couple o' thousand, how good is the image?

While the 5030 uses a different bulb (280W vs 200W), it advertises 4,000/5,000 norm/Eco mode hours at 2,400 lumens... not justification for spending $2,500 (versus the $899 you paid). With the $1,600 savings you could buy an additional 8350 and 2 bulbs, some as yet unreleased PJ, or no fewer than 5 of the 8350 replacement bulbs! Bulb life does NOT make a strong justification for the 5030.

The manual identifies the space requirement -- as so long as the inlet air (filter) is unobstructed you should be fine... I think that's an inch or two across the rear (and the exhaust is in front).
Andrew Hornfeck is offline  
post #8721 of 8726 Old 07-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Newbie
 
Eric McEntee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post
SET UP your 8350 and enjoy the 1080p, its bright 2,000 lumen picture and how quiet it is! I'm at a loss when you say you're on your original Z2 bulb after ten (10) years... assuming you're comparing THAT history against an 8350 owner having a bulb die prematurely at 1,000 or 2,000 hours in a year (depending on usage) and that your concern is the cost to replace a bulb every year, you'd have between 10,000-20,000 hours on your Z2, right? On the other hand, if you have fewer than 2,500 hours on your Z2 this would average 250 hours for each year of ten. At that rate you will NOT be buying a new bulb even for the Epson 8350 every year as you fear.

Please explain how I'm wrong with my numbers... how many hours are on your original Z2 bulb, and if it's more than a couple o' thousand, how good is the image?

While the 5030 uses a different bulb (280W vs 200W), it advertises 4,000/5,000 norm/Eco mode hours at 2,400 lumens... not justification for spending $2,500 (versus the $899 you paid). With the $1,600 savings you could buy an additional 8350 and 2 bulbs, some as yet unreleased PJ, or no fewer than 5 of the 8350 replacement bulbs! Bulb life does NOT make a strong justification for the 5030.

The manual identifies the space requirement -- as so long as the inlet air (filter) is unobstructed you should be fine... I think that's an inch or two across the rear (and the exhaust is in front).
I've got 4500 hours on the original z2 bulb, and our usage has increased dramatically over the last year or two (not as much as some - but for us - now consistently about 25 hours a week - early on with the Z2 it was 1 movie a week, and football). I am sure its very dim now - but still looks great. If a Z2 bulb wasn't $200 or so and wondering how much longer I could squeeze out of it - I'd likely keep it. But that $ on a bulb toward my 8350 made more sense, esp since it was so cheap that weekend.

Thanks for your reply - I had ordered the omnimount shelf that week, and it looks like it will have about a 5 inch gap behind it, so I should be good there.

I guess I am overreacting - but hard to balance the complaints vs all the great reviews on the 8350. The Z2 has been awesome for me (maybe I was just really lucky or maybe my usage and environment will translate to long life on the 8350) - so the idea of a new bulb every year and other issues (blobs, auto iris, sounds like you even had to exchange, etc) have me a bit worried.

I need lens shift, and LCD (pretty sensitive to RBE) - so options are pretty limited for me.

Epson says they will replace one bulb in the 2 year warranty period, so assuming I'll have to take them up on that, even if I have to buy a new one in 3-4 years its worth it.

Thanks for helping me make a final decision. Out with the drill to starting hanging things tonight!
Eric McEntee is offline  
post #8722 of 8726 Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: AL
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
GLAD to help... I've had no blobs but did experience some convergence issues followed by the Auto Iris popup which prompted me to contact Epson at which point they exchanged my (then 9-month old) 8350 for a refurb. No more notification popup for Auto Iris (which I turn OFF due to my hearing it work over my head), the convergence I was struggling over was waaaaaaaay better, and they claim to place a new bulb in every refurbished unit. Now that they sent me a bulb I should be set for another two years. I'll reassess my options then as I do each time I'm facing a bulb purchase. BTW, I'd seen that $899 Best Buy offering -- what a DEAL! I paid nearly $1,100 w/shipping for mine and thought that was a bargain in 2011. You'll not be disappointed!
Andrew Hornfeck is offline  
post #8723 of 8726 Old 07-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Newbie
 
Eric McEntee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, the price surprised me so I jumped before I finished my research. I kept thinking they were going to cancel the order before I was able to pick it up - but it was there. Again, thanks for your help.
Eric McEntee is offline  
post #8724 of 8726 Old 07-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDMI Input not working

Everything related to the my 8350 is surge protected. We had a little rain, and a freak lightning bolt hit somewhere near us. The projector was on at the time. It went off, bet everything else in the house stayed on. Now it turns on and the HDMI inputs do not work. The video input works great. I don't have component cables with me to test that. This is what is displayed on the bottom left hand corner of the screen when HDMI 1 or 2 is selected:

Quote:
Source: HDMI1
Not Supported
H: --- .-- kHz V: --- .-- Hz
Any ideas what I should do? I have tried multiple HDMI devices and cables that work when I plug them into a small TV that I dragged out for testing. I have owned this projector for around 4 years now, and I have replaced the bulb twice.
11seashell11 is offline  
post #8725 of 8726 Old 07-23-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: AL
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A buddy of mine had to have his 'serviced' when lightning struck... same as yours, his HDMI inputs stopped working. I don't know what to advise you since it's clearly out of the 2 year warranty... Then again, they may extend you a 1-time courtesy :-) I'd contact Epson and see what they'll offer. Otherwise, this could be time to buy another PJ, whether it's another 8350, 3020, or something else...

Have you tried powering it OFF, removing the cord OFF I mean, for an evening just to make sure it doesn't have a RESET it can do when totally powered off. Other than that I'd contact Epson. Although, if it'll cost you to repair/replace, switching to component input MAY work, if it does you could prolong using it with component cables.
Andrew Hornfeck is offline  
post #8726 of 8726 Old Today, 02:27 AM
Member
 
mach250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
fan sounds like its dieing, what size is it and can I just swap it out with a regular pc fan?
mach250 is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off